Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM Holden Ltd will be sharing customer details with Carlson Marketing Group (Aus) Pty Ltd and Retail Decisions Pty Ltd in order to facilitate fuel cards.

To me this bit in the fine print means they have sold your details to a third party. During the sale you will be asked to sign lots of paperwork and hidden in there is a little clause which says you can be contacted by these people : therefore getting around that little thing called " dont call me" if at all you are registered. It also means Holden have already offset some of their costs by the onsell, maybe even all of their costs.
Also the marketing genius of this is that you will still be thinking of Holdens so called generosity in two years time rather than forgetting about a 2K rebate/discount in about 2 miliseconds.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #32
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
We can all moan and groan but at the end of the day it will move stock off Holden's showrooms and keep them in business for another year. We Ford fans can take the high and mighty stance that our cars are better, safer, more powerful but at the end of each month Holden hand us our ***** on a plate. I swear one day Ford's marketing are going to be standing in the dole queue wondering what the hell just happened?
Great post.

Criticise away, find where the bonus is coming from, whatever. People go stupid when it comes to fuel prices.

I worked in a servo where it was 2cents cheaper on Tuesday than Monday. Yet people would quite happily wait 30 minutes of idling to get their fuel on a Tuesday because it was cheaper. Saving about $1.50 or so.

These same people who buy grossly overpriced crap in store, make up their $30 grocery shortfall with a chockie bar to get the docket and the ones who and moan about a few dollars of fuel. Yet this stupid mass hysteria occurs on a macro level.

People are stupid and afraid of fuel prices. Holden have provided a solution and a damn good value proposition (even if it appears to indian giving to the rational consumer).

Why do you think all these businesses were giving fuel out everywhere. Toyota gave $50 worth of fuel if you got a major service, everyone gave fuel cards with tyre purchases etc, fuel this, fuel that.

Good on Holden. If you guys think you can do a better job than Ford at marketing, go get a degree and see how easy it is. Evaluating value propositions is hard enough, making them is another kettle of fish altogether.

It's very easy to be an armchair critic, it's made a bit better with some potential solutions. Not just, Ford are crap etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #33
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Well said Shounak.

You are right....it aint easy being in the marketing business generally, least of all selling cars in the current climate. Holden marketing have quite a smart idea here....not sure it will sell all that many cars really because you have to be willing to buy a holden first....and frankly they aren't all that appealing. And i don't mean the falcon v commodore, i mean the line up a a whole, lots of people i know have no interest in holden's cars at all....imported stuff mostly unappealing and local stuff is hit by the whole 'fuel hungry mantra'.

I think alot of people will also ask themselves just how much will i save, five minutes of work on a calculator and even your average schmuck might start getting suspicious. If HOlden dealers still give RRP off and throw stuff in, PLUS have this deal from the company then maybe....

Either way, you can get WAY better value by shopping around and negotiating with your dealer, then using this dodgy method. The money you save can be used for buying premium fuel or something you actually want....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #34
Monga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
There has to be a catch somewhere!
Idiot.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #35
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monga
Idiot.
A bit rough.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #36
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Just did a quick calc and over 20,000kms assuming petrol at about $1.60 per litre and a usage of 15L/100 you save a massive $1800, whoopy! They really do have a good marketing team over at Fishermans Bend.
yes my 6.0 averages around 12.7 l/100 so with fuel in Brisbane around $1.35 that would be 1575 litres x 0.36 = $567 rebate.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #37
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Who would be running their Calais V8 on 91?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #38
Wally
XP Coupe

I must admit I have run my car on lower octane when no other is available. It doesn't seem to make much difference to normal highway or suburban perfomance and the rebate would more than compensate for the additional consumption. Given the choice I always run PULP.

The price per litre of fuel is foremost in peoples minds and GM have hooked into that. Smoke and mirrors maybe, but it's a simple, cheap and effective incentive.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can only use it on 91 octane crap and the amount of fuel you can use is based on the advertised combined fuel rating of the vehicle (which can never be achieved in reality). If you take the fuel rebate you get no other discounts.

Advertising scam...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #40
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
yes my 6.0 averages around 12.7 l/100 so with fuel in Brisbane around $1.35 that would be 1575 litres x 0.36 = $567 rebate.
Well there you go, the thirstiest engine Holden sells and only $567

The 15L/100 was based on high fuel consumption (mine lol) so was really an inflated figure. I'm sure most people get much better in their V6 Omegas.

Fuel's only $1.35 in Brissy? That does it I'm moving, nice weather and cheap petrol!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #41
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
...It doesn't seem to make much difference to normal highway or suburban perfomance and the rebate would more than compensate for the additional consumption...
Yeah but the detonation caused by too low of an octane wouldn't. Plus the cost of getting a rebuild when it all goes pear shaped.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #42
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

LOL

Im amazed at how we now have been conditioned to think anything under $1.50 per litre is cheap.

I remember the days when we were all about to boycott the pumps at 80c p/l.

I reckon this fuel incentive is for those who buy run of the mill pleb cars not performance vehicles. But this is speculative.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #43
smally289
growing up is optional

So now we have a reason to smile when the price of fuel goes up - its going to cost Holden more money!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansXR8
people will be all over this for sure...just look at the que's outside the petrol stations offering 4c off a litre..i can't really see the point of lining up for 15mins to save maximum $5 but some people see the value in it, so guess a few will see it in this deal/offer.
Holden do have great marketing and i guess if your in the market for a new car and the fuel prices at the moment can be unknown, if holden pitch in a buck or two it looks the goods.
Bingo. When it comes to fuel, people go batty. On a Tuesday night at a Shell near my house there's a queue that extends for at least 20 cars per bowser and spilling onto the road. That's at least a 1 hour queue. If you fill a 60 litre tank and you're holding a shopper docket, you're saving $2.40.

Mandatory sterilisation for any vehicle sitting in a queue on a Tuesday night armed with a shopper docket.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #45
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Ford has $2,000 fuel cards with all the Territory's. Much better value and you don't have to buy 91RON from a motorpass service station between 4.30 and 6.30 on the 31st of every month.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #46
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
We can all moan and groan but at the end of the day it will move stock off Holden's showrooms and keep them in business for another year. We Ford fans can take the high and mighty stance that our cars are better, safer, more powerful but at the end of each month Holden hand us our ***** on a plate. I swear one day Ford's marketing are going to be standing in the dole queue wondering what the hell just happened?
Have a read of DJ's thoughts on Ford's marketing in his column in Performance Ford. Absolute Gold and if Ford take note then your wish might come true
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #47
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

holden Stole This Marketing Idea From Dodge!

Dodge Has Been Running A Campaign Of $2.99 A Gallon For 3 Years On Dodge Vehicles For Months
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #48
RealChampionSup
Starter Motor

What happens if we find new oil reserves and the price of fuel drops to 50cents do u then pay holden 49cents. holden might know somthing
RealChampionSup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #49
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
What a scam!!
But it will clearly work.
Why?? Because the average consumer is a smuck.
If I sell a car to a person and they ask for the on roads
to be thrown in I'm gunna throw it in(in most cases).
Yes I'll make it seem like a great deal that is hard for me to do.
Why will I do it?? Because people like to feel like they are getting
a bargain. At the end of the day anything you are giving away is
already built into the price. It's that simple.
You get nothing for nothing in this world.
As a previous post stated there is no such thing as a free lunch.
But in saying that I take my hat off for a great marketing plan.
You are right but crunch the numbers and you could do a better deal without the fuel card, the $2000.00 offer from Ford on the T is better, just doesn't look as good.
Ford should do away with the free mags offer on the XR and the like and offer free fuel for 1 year, with the way Holden have it limited it would only be worth about $1600.00
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #50
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
This is just depressing, in a matter of hours, we on this board have deduced that it is a saving of less than 2K, but that won't stop the simple people in this country running out to Holden dealerships to Capitalize on what is basically a scam.

Without this deal you could probably get a deal of more than $2000 off RRP, but if you get this, RRP is a must It's sad that this country is nowhere near as intelligent as people make out.

Second best post in this thread!
Well said!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #51
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Do the other calculation. It only takes 10 litres of 91 RON to set alight to a VE. Thats only $9.90 with the fuel cap card - outstanding value!
Best post in this thread by far!!!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #52
DrivePassion
Starter Motor

Sorry peeps, I think that your vision is slightly "blue"rred
Gone are the days when Blue was a competitor of the Big Lion....
I'm switching over....the 99cent deal is not the only reason people switch....its the total package....look into it for yourselves....
DrivePassion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #53
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6 5spd- 10.5L/100km @ $1.46/L = $15,330 over 100 000kms
SV6 5spd- 11.2L/100km @ $1.46/L = $16,352 over 100 000kms

= $1,022 saving on XR6

BUT

SV6 5spd 11.2/100km @ $0.99/L = $2,217.60

2,217.60 - $1,022 = $1,195.60 saving on SV6

Is that right?

They both retail about the same price, but obiously Holden's incentive doesn't come from fresh air. I guess in the end visit both brands and see who can give you a better deal. Ford are doing XR6 Sedan atm with 18's, bluetooth and ipod intergration for $39,990 d/away which is good value. Remember after the 20,000km you are back to 11.2L/100km at full price in the Holden.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #54
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Yeah but the detonation caused by too low of an octane wouldn't. Plus the cost of getting a rebuild when it all goes pear shaped.
Why would there be any det? The recommended ULP rating is 91, even though the perfromance and economy figures are based on 98.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #55
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivePassion
I'm switching over....the 99cent deal is not the only reason people switch....its the total package....look into it for yourselves....

I think your salary is payed in "red" notes.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivePassion

So its like bribe to get people into an inferior product.

Good work GM/H!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #57
dave289
Banned

Dont know where everyone gets their fuel consumption figures from,but I'll give you one real life one which is when i was in my mates ve calais v6 the other night,he is not one to go thrashing it around and only really drives in the city but the computer read 17.1 litres per 100 kays.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #58
gemibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Nice calculations dude!

If there's one thing the General has over Ford it's their marketing.
Holden's marketing flogs the tits off Fords mostly non-existent marketing.
And for Ford, the opportunities have been and continue to be there!!!

Now it all makes sense...Ford drivers are smarter :
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #59
ZC001
Cruisin

I bet IF Ford had come up with this offer everybody would be saying how brilliant it was...
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #60
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
I bet IF Ford had come up with this offer everybody would be saying how brilliant it was...

ford have a similar offer but just word it differently. they offer $2000 free fuel on territory. not sure if any other models get this deal as well.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post