Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default V8 Race Experience

On the weekend, I went to Queensland Raceway to have my "V8 Experience". We drove down there, I was nervously anticipating what it would be like... would I lose it? (that was the biggest fear!)

Anyway, sat through the driver briefing, then got suited up in the overalls and helmet. I was surprised at the amount of people wanting to drive the Ford! The Holden line was empty, with over a dozen people still queuing for Falcon! I went to TopGear live last month at Brisbane, and it seems that about 75% of the audience was Holden biased!

Anyway, the 5 laps I had, they were a blast! I didn't want to come back in. I bought the DVD as well, which showed me saying "Yep" to the instructor all the way around It was a fantastic experience... you have the instructor giving you constant advice around the track, and he'd adjust your approach to a corner if he wanted to.

The circuit was covered either in 3rd or 4th, and the slicks stuck really well. Going through the Esses of the Clubman circuit was my favourite bit.

Looking back on it though, I think I was suffering tunnel vision. You're travelling so quick, you don't take time to look through the right hand window (covered in netting) to see what you're turning into. I think I was memorising the corners, but not looking for potential hazards. Maybe I was putting a lot of faith in the instructor?

Anyway, I'm going to book in again, and get the missus to go as well (she gave me this as a birthday pressie). She got to do a track day on her bike there last week, but that's not the same as on four wheels!

It gives me a lot of respect for the professional race drivers.

Also got to chat to some nice Ford owning blokes

and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post