Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Regardless of who was at fault, or what the reason behind it were, I feel sorry for the poor pedestrian. Standing at the lights, doing the right thing, waiting for a green walk signal and she gets cleaned up. Not fair on her.

GeckoGt. Please keep us updated on this poor pedestrians condition, if you hear about it. It'd be appreciated

I will do, I will be following up on her in a couple of days once more is known about her situation.

Please understand I can not give out details of actual injuries or disabilities likely to remain as this is covered by the privacy act.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #32
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know its just another day at the office Gecko unfortunately, but the truth is it is simply due to someones impatience or arrogance.

There are a few intersections here in which Green now clearly only equates to Give Way, even after a good few seconds of green. The phasing of the lights might suck for those on the cross street, but running yellows and reds is not the answer. Got road raged the other day for stopping for the yellow. Called me every name under the sun, then proceeded to have a go at what he wrongly assumed was my sexual preference because I was driving the Mrs car (see sig) and that because of apparent said preference I could not drive for *excrement*. Like your sexual preference automatically determines your diving ability in any event!

Would have been harder to take if the car beside wasn't an un-marked highway patrol (no, not the only reason I stopped for the yellow).

As Spandau Ballet once sung... "Gold"!

As he got out of the car to have a "chat" to me I wonder exactly what the outcome of the "chat" the highway patrol then had to him???

On approach to any set of lights that I can see has been green for a while (ie as I approach they have been constantly green, and/or the traffic on the side streets is banked up, I will lightly cover the brake simply to activate the brake lights rather than slow. This seems to help with the tailgater issue. It is also simply good practice and defensive driving but for the great majority of motorists (as opposed to drivers) it is a completely foreign concept.

Feel for the pedestrian and hope they come out ok.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the biggest thing that concerns me as a motorcyclist. Espeically those riders who like to lane split, do put their own life at risk because their focus is about getting in front, not on the potential for someone to run that red light. I'm sure Gecko's seen a few of those in his time.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #34
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Terrible news.

Also worth mentioning that a green light does not mean take off as fast as you can (always,always check for red light runners before taking off)
Green light actually indicates " Proceed with caution "
Steve
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Under Queensland road rules, if the light turns yellow and there's time to do so, you must stop.
If a cop sees you and believe you should have stopped, he can book you same as a Red, 3 points and $300...
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #36
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

The Magna may be one that ran a red at the very end of it's cycle in changing to green.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #37
loosey

As you approach an intersection there are two arrows, if you're at the first (furthest from the intersection) you stop, if you're at the second (closer to the intersection) keep going, that's what i was taught anyway.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Yup, classic reason as to why you don't just take a green as 'blindly enter the intersection', I've avoided several accidents due to some clown trying to unsuccessfully beat the red by watching the traffic that had the green.

Always keep an eye out for red runners, might save your life one day.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #39
Scott

Red Light/Speed Cameras had a dramatic effect in Canberra when they were implemented. One of the very few things the ACT Govt did that worked...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #40
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Quite a sobering OP there Gecko. Whilst I try to avoid proceeding through a yellow, sometimes it's unavoidable, but the amount of times that I have thought I myself have pushed the limit (gone when I could of possibly stopped, but thought it to be too close) only to see the 2 or 3 cars following me all go through as well, clearly running the RED, that is what makes me cringe.
I agree have gone through yelow lights and got to the other side and seen the light change red in the mirror to see a few other cars come through its a bit frightening
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #41
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's something that is so annoying to go through and as a fellow emergency service worker, I feel your pain and frustration that sadly not enough people listen until they experience something that dramatic for themselves.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #42
Aithom
Starter Motor

Once they convert all red-light cameras to speed/red-light cameras, I'm sure people will break this habit quickly...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #43
Mad Maxine

I saw a young fella on a road-trail bike yesterday on Cleveland road (main arterial road in Brissie) who jumped his bike up onto the landscaped traffic island nearly 30m behind me (I was in the right lane of two lanes, stopped at a red light at an intersection). Not only did he ride through a GARDEN to get to the turning lane on my right, he then stopped at the red light which also had a red arrow for the turning lane, got the shits with waiting, obviously saw nothing coming eastbound in the other lanes, and just put his feet back up on the pegs and rode straight across the three lanes against the still red arrow. Unbelievable. What he didn't see was the traffic from the Alexandra Hills shopping centre turning at the intersection - a red Hilux had to practically stand on it's nose when this fackwit (I won't call him a motorcyclist) went through the arrow a mere few metres in front of the turning ute. I don't think he even saw the ute, or was aware that traffic was coming from another direction. I'm still shaking my head thinking about it now.

Hope the innocent people involved in this crash recover fully, I'll be lookign for your update Gecko. Thanks for doing your job.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #44
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

should've opened the door as he rode past. God I'm tempted to do that to people who think a 2 lane road can be a 3 lane!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #45
Mad Maxine

Nah, repairs to the old girl would negate any potential sick pleasure to be had, I'm sure.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #46
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Excellent thread Gecko. I can put and different spin on it.
My best mate was killed at 22 in a head on collision on a bend (other driver fell asleep and veered across lanes). 300m previous to the accidend he sped up to race an amber light. Had he stopped instead, he most cetainly would have lived to see another day. So It not always instant occurrance.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #47
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
I wonder exactly what the outcome of the "chat" the highway patrol then had to him???

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #48
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Under Queensland road rules, if the light turns yellow and there's time to do so, you must stop.
If a cop sees you and believe you should have stopped, he can book you same as a Red, 3 points and $300...
Same in NSW.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Same in NSW.
The funny thing is that the point of no return isn't usually marked on the road
so drivers have to make that judgement call, how hard would it be to put a
yellow line about 2 seconds out, once you pass that at the speed limit , you're committed.
That would help drivers approaching stale green lights immensely.

But I'm getting off track here, I understand this thread is all about irresponsible people jumping red lights...
In that instance, drivers need to know they are instantly caught and will be punished heavily.
Jumping red lights is a huge breach of safety and should be a suspension straight up - totally justified IMO.
People who play Russian roulette with other people's safety need to walk for a while.
Tail gaters are another group who need a time out too, that would stop a lot of aggressive driving.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
platinumXR

Quote:
The funny thing is that the point of no return isn't usually marked on the road so drivers have to make that judgement call...
Well, I guess that comes with the privelige of getting and KEEPING your licence, wouldn't you say?

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #51
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The funny thing is that the point of no return isn't usually marked on the road
so drivers have to make that judgement call, how hard would it be to put a
yellow line about 2 seconds out, once you pass that at the speed limit , you're committed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
Well, I guess that comes with the privelige of getting and KEEPING your licence, wouldn't you say?
Actually this is a good idea. They have em on race tracks and they have markers on golf courses because somebody somewhere thought they would aid personal judgement.

I don't think that most people intentionally race yellows, I think most seemed to find themselves stranded generally. It might be better to have the yellow join the green for 1-2 seconds (not enough time to make the decision to run a yellow) before the green retires for that cycle. (And in any case I would rather people run this part of the sequence anyway because it is no different to what happens now) but it would give more people a chance to decide where they are in regards to making it safely across that intersection. Speed cameras (wow a positive use for them) can catch those who decide to use this system as a Christmas tree, but for me it would take the guess work out of the light change.

You will always have idiots but at least with some sort of warning, the position of most would shift and eventually for most, the yellow would become a no go zone. This could easily be trialled at red light and speed camera intersections with enough media education and adequate signage at the intersections that are being trialled.

I am not fan of the old and retired "yellow red" combo before a green though.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #52
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
I am not fan of the old and retired "yellow red" combo before a green though.
That's just begging for someone to stall it up at the lights, isn't it?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stopping at a yellow light.

What are the road surface and conditions like? e.g. grade, traction, loose material etc.
What is the speed limit?
Is there some moron right up your bum in a vehicle that cannot stop as quickly as you?
What is the visibility?

Driving requires a lot of skill and constant attention to everything around you not just concentrating on the speedo with an occasional glance down the road.

Drive like everyone is out to kill you and trust no one.......
Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #54
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have not read all the new posts as I have just gotten up after night shift and getting ready for another but there seems to be some good ones and I will read them later.

Update on the pedestrian, unfortunately she died this morning as a result of her injuries, my sincerest condolences to her and her family. The young girl really concerned me, the tragedy of her plight has been on my mind. I had planned to get her a get well card and visit her in hospital tomorrow after shift, something I almost never do amd now I will not have the chance.

I am really shocked by this, I really believed that she would pull through.

That is two traumatic deaths I attended in 2 days, sometimes this job sucks. This will be another ghost that haunts me.

Please, slow down, take the red and be safe everyone!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #55
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Not good news
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
The Magna may be one that ran a red at the very end of it's cycle in changing to green.
Not according to early witness comments at the scene, the Magna had the green.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #57
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
I

On approach to any set of lights that I can see has been green for a while (ie as I approach they have been constantly green, and/or the traffic on the side streets is banked up, I will lightly cover the brake simply to activate the brake lights rather than slow. This seems to help with the tailgater issue. It is also simply good practice and defensive driving but for the great majority of motorists (as opposed to drivers) it is a completely foreign concept.

Feel for the pedestrian and hope they come out ok.

Top post, there it is, how to drive with care and attention. Smilie points to you Pinch.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #58
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Poor pedestrian. Doing the right thing and looses her life in the process. That's bloody aweful.

My condolences go out to the family as well and I hope the idiot that decided to be a hero suffers for the rest of their lives.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #59
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sad news indeed

I have to say, that most of us dont intend to run a yellow light in most cases, i dont think we are stupid enough to want to put our own lives at risk every time we take the change.

Correct me if im wrong but has the traffic system changed over the last 20 years? I remember when i used to have time to slow down before the lights turned to green, now it seems i have a second or 2 to completly weight up my options and not casue an accident mehind me too

Could we not have a 3-4seconds yellow light flasing before it hits red?

And are we as drivers brainwashed to think that every intersection may have a red light camera so we tend to put out foot down to try an avoid a fine????

interesting read...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #60
Mad Maxine

Very sad news, Gecko, I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it. It's always hardest when innocent people lose their lives.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Closed Thread