Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Car Crashes into Camera Van

The one that sit outside our work parks in the disabled zone so that they can get a clear shot of people. It's also dark green.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 27-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
Probably speeding that's why they stood on the brakes is my guess.I think it is 80 k zone out there.
Or maybe not.

It is a far too common practice to brake at a speed camera regardless of whatever speed you are doing.

If someone pointed a gun at you would you check first to see if it is loaded before ducking?

Under QLD law you are guilty until proven innocent as far as speed cameras are concerned so if you speedo is out and reads 100 while you are doing over that you WILL be fined so dropping to 10 or 20km/h under the limit will ensure your "safety".

Add to that the sudden fright of a black car at night on the side of the road and whatever other emotional or medical situations at the time maybe it all added up to a loss of control.

There are squillions of documented cases of crashed cars that were caused by a fright from an animal on the side of the road or a misinterpreted image.
I once saw a cloud on fire early in the morning which frightened the hell out of me until I worked out it was a circular burnoff on the side of a mountain.

Things are not always what they seem.......
Old 27-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
The one that sit outside our work parks in the disabled zone so that they can get a clear shot of people. It's also dark green.
Oh a facebook moment if there ever was one......
Old 27-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #34
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Or maybe not.

It is a far too common practice to brake at a speed camera regardless of whatever speed you are doing.

If someone pointed a gun at you would you check first to see if it is loaded before ducking?

Under QLD law you are guilty until proven innocent as far as speed cameras are concerned so if you speedo is out and reads 100 while you are doing over that you WILL be fined so dropping to 10 or 20km/h under the limit will ensure your "safety".

Add to that the sudden fright of a black car at night on the side of the road and whatever other emotional or medical situations at the time maybe it all added up to a loss of control.

There are squillions of documented cases of crashed cars that were caused by a fright from an animal on the side of the road or a misinterpreted image.
I once saw a cloud on fire early in the morning which frightened the hell out of me until I worked out it was a circular burnoff on the side of a mountain.

Things are not always what they seem.......
Plenty of reasons why it could of happened,I'm sticking with my guess and a guess is what it is not fact.I travel that road frequently and traffic is always flowing over the speed limit by a fair bit,100 k in an 80 k zone is the norm,hence the van being there in the first place. It is a semi rural road that is slowly being upgraded.The vans always hammer the back roads around the Redlands area as there have been plenty of fatalities down that way over the years.
Old 27-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
Plenty of reasons why it could of happened,I'm sticking with my guess and a guess is what it is not fact.I travel that road frequently and traffic is always flowing over the speed limit by a fair bit,100 k in an 80 k zone is the norm,hence the van being there in the first place. It is a semi rural road that is slowly being upgraded.The vans always hammer the back roads around the Redlands area as there have been plenty of fatalities down that way over the years.
How often is there as speed camera there?
How many other prangs have you seen there?
Old 27-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its no wonder.... The way they park these things Im surprised they don't lose more of them.

Too bad the local councils cant come out and fine them like they would fine the rest of us for parking the way they park.

One less revenue bus = win.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 27-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #37
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed cameras as I said hammer all these rural roads around there,Mt Cotton road has at least half a dozen different spots where they setup.Over the years I personally have seen a dozen or more without having to think to hard,one was a fatal and I also lost a mate and his wife not to far from there as well some years ago.
Old 27-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq
yeah, who had the brilliant idea to use black vans?
Safety would dictate a bright yellow van with big signage, "speed checking".
Revenue collecting would dictate a dark coloured van with &^#@ all signage.
Maybe the driver hit it on purpose ?
Old 27-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #39
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Black van parked right beside the roadside at 4:30 in the morning? That's one wandering driver away from a serious accident...

Colour? Most speed camera vans/Nissan Patrols I've ever seen have been dark colours or silver/grey which blends in with the background, even though most other government vans and vehicles are the cheapest, ie" white, colours. The reason for this I will leave up to your imagination...
Old 27-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #40
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

small silver ones around Alice.....we seen two whilst we were up there.....

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 27-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously this thing about the colour of the van... big bloody deal!

If you watch the news footage the road was wet and reasonably straight.
The road had a small rise and a very small bend further up from where the car was coming from..... The van was not on a corner.

The van was OFF THE ROAD... The driver lost control of his car...

Yes of course its all a police conspiracy... black vans suddenly make you loose control and run into them...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/natio...-babinda-home/

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 27-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
So you dont normally see them when your out doing hot laps at 4am? Neither do I might have to re-schedule to 3am soon just to be safe.......
Hahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Its no wonder.... The way they park these things Im surprised they don't lose more of them.
Was gonna post this, and i agree you would think they would know how to park and also which direction they put their sign, they are always parallel to the traffic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 27-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #43
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those green vans are good camouflage during the day though. They normally park the green ones in bushy areas where there's green all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
The road had a small rise and a very small bend further up from where the car was coming from..... The van was not on a corner
Correct. I know exactly where the crash happened (I can tell by the metal fence) and the driver did just come over a rise before losing control.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #44
hawker

Wow, some people take this far too seriously.

Of course a lot of people do not take these vans seriously. Why? Because it's obvious they're just for revenue raising. People argue about it, but how is a van you can find the location of on a twitter or facebook feed making the road safe?

More cops on the road, pulling people over, face to face contact, yelling at people etc etc can change attitudes. Not a van sitting on the side of the road.

That said, it was an accident - he / she probably would have crashed if the van wasn't there - just bad luck the van was there. It happens. I doubt a renegade driver decided to take out street justice.
Old 28-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #45
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was a renegade driver alot more would of been said about the crash. as funny as we may think (or not) it is. it was just an accident. not hard too loose control of a vehicle. then again if it wasnt there there wouldnt of been a crash so its ironic in away
Old 28-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #46
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Most of these camera operators really should be employing road traffic control if they are working within 3 metres of a roadway, including cones, flashing amber lights and message boards - otherwise they are breaching OHS laws.
That wouldn't make much difference, people still run into tow trucks and police cars with all that stuff.
Old 28-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #47
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Sucked in to the Van owners and also the person operating the camera. Blind Freddy can see that it you spend enough time park close to the side of the road then someone will run into you eventually. They should be banned from parking them intentionally so close to the road, unless they are highly visible with flashing lights, signs, etc.

They are only for revenue raising and it is evidence that they do NOTHING to reduce road accidents. Here is real evidence that they CAUSE accidents!!
Old 28-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #48
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that's a hoons car if ever I saw one...
...my elderly mother in law drives one just like that.

Of course it's revenue raising...my nephew had to do time in the back of one of them when he was a constable just starting out. He said the camera would go off, you'd look up to see which car it was and you usually had literally no idea. He said you would then start to wonder "Hmmm, why was he speeding? Drunk? Unlicenced? Unregistered car? Unroadworthy? On drugs? Boot full of dope? Body in the boot? Just robbed a servo down the road?", etc, etc.

The police know it isn't police work, which is why some states have contractors doing it.
Old 29-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

this thread has run its course and some of the posts are just stupid.
Closed Thread