Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #31
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian woman shot dead by cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Says the expert on everything
Who was that aimed that?

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #32
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Who was that aimed that?
I am guessing it was aimed at me, the fella has not much going for himself and spends considerable time following me around this forum and trolling my posts

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #33
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i guess you,ve never been in a paddock full of rabbits then?
LOL. Oh yeah with my .22s yeah I load the magazines. They take up to 20 rounds.

Not with my bolt action rifles though. 1 round at a time. They wouldn't be good for rabbits anyhow. The .264 and ellk at 800 yrds, yeah.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #34
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Cameras are not always on, they would only be turned on when they attend jobs and interact with people, in this case from what I understand they had not even gotten out of the car yet, so cameras would still be turned off,.
ok, i see your point about the cameras, but you say (something i didn,t know) that they had just arrived, so they hadn,t even got out of the car to accessed the situation. its like something written for hollywood.

i do hope there is more to the story. and not just gross negligence.
Old 25-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #35
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Australia we don't have the culture of fear that exists in the US. It is considered normal that if we run towards a Police officer, we will be safe and they will protect us. In the US, to run up to a cop on patrol would be seen as highly unusual. Its a completely different mindset between the two cultures. You know 100% that the cops will be armed and ready. The other party may or may not be armed. They expect the people to stay away from them and let them do their job. Fear and personal survival is high priority for all. Any idea how many people get shot by police in the US each year? well its in the thousands.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #36
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

The "kid" who is an cop and grew up next door tried to help a guy one time. He was attacked by somebody that was significantly larger than him. Fortunately he grew up as an athlete and was a successful wrestler.

Still he took a pounding before he got that guy in cuffs. He needed a couple weeks off.

Our urban centers are just cesspools.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #37
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
The "kid" who is an cop and grew up next door tried to help a guy one time. He was attacked by somebody that was significantly larger than him. Fortunately he grew up as an athlete and was a successful wrestler.

Still he took a pounding before he got that guy in cuffs. He needed a couple weeks off.

Our urban centers are just cesspools.
Urban centres and ice towns
Old 25-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #38
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Don't know what an ice town is.
Old 25-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
There's obviously 2 sides to this story and so far, we have only heard one. However, as an ex- cop myself a couple of things about this bother me...1. Why one earth would an officer have his firearm un-holstered inside the car? 2. He has then fired across the driver into the victim through the open driver's window. 3. What threat would he have reasonably perceived by a woman who has called them to her own home in the early hours of the morning dressed in her pyjamas? I think there is more to this story than what we are hearing and I think it's all going to come down on the officer who fired the shot.
I'm not expert but Shooting from inside the car across your Partner surely would be a last resort.
So much room for error
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Officer described as Jumpy
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...376d83aaff31dd
Old 25-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #41
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I'm not expert but Shooting from inside the car across your Partner surely would be a last resort.
So much room for error
Shooting a .40 pistol inside a car would be deafening, not to mention disorienting. Sounds like everything taught in police academy was not followed.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #42
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Do cops routinely wear body armour in US? We know that there are all armed.

I am sure that there is deference between how we interact with our cops and the situation over there.

Regards,
George V
Old 25-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #43
crv70

As someone pointed out; third world problems...the cop is not even American.
If a white cop had shot dead an innocent black woman/man, there would've been riots and the (((media))) would still be hollering about racial hatred, evil white people, blah, blah, blah.
Black on white crime is rampant in the USA, most of it isn't shown on the news because (((they))) keep telling us how nice blacks are in comparison to racist whites, ad nausea.
Old 25-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #44
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
So much room for error
I'm wondering how long she had been living in the US for?

The first thing I thought when this happened was that she walked across to the patrol car and leaned down to the window to talk to the police.

From what I have seen and heard this is something that you just don't do over there. As an Aussie, you would really see no issue in doing the same here.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
4 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #45
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is'nt it also a rule/law over there that if you don't put your hands up or drop to the ground ie surrender they WILL shoot you no questions asked?
Old 26-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #46
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Is'nt it also a rule/law over there that if you don't put your hands up or drop to the ground ie surrender they WILL shoot you no questions asked?
No.

But it makes sense to follow the officers directions if given. If not, then bad things can happen. The population in our urban centers tend to not follow directions and even become belligerent.
Old 26-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #47
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

solarite guy would you say the TV series 'COPS' would be a fair reflection of cops in the US?
Old 26-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #48
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I don't know. I don't watch tv. Sorry.

I pick up the news from reading.

I gave my tv to my daughter when she moved out several years ago. Really had no desire to replace it.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 26-07-2017 at 01:29 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #49
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

The first thing I thought when this happened was that she walked across to the patrol car and leaned down to the window to talk to the police.

From what I have seen and heard this is something that you just don't do over there. As an Aussie, you would really see no issue in doing the same here.
True - but hell of a price to pay
Old 26-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #50
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

This is awful and probably is what happened, ie walking down dark alley, tripped on garbage can etc as leaning down and nervy cop reflex reacted.

Makes you realise how different Australia is from USA.

Was a case in Warners Bay where a postal worker was dismissed, had a breakdown and had a large knife and ran towards police who shot and killed him.

I knew the guy- was a little strange but friendly, sold a lot of sound recording gear to partially fund my FGX XR8, so had a lot of contact over 4 months selling gear through the Warners Bay post office.

That was shocking for sleepy Newcastle/Warners Bay, and it was so out of the ordinary- unlike USA.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 26-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #51
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
This is awful and probably is what happened, ie walking down dark alley, tripped on garbage can etc as leaning down and nervy cop reflex reacted.

Was a case in Warners Bay where a postal worker was dismissed, had a breakdown and had a large knife and ran towards police who shot and killed him.

I knew the guy- was a little strange but friendly, sold a lot of sound recording gear to partially fund my FGX XR8, so had a lot of contact over 4 months selling gear through the Warners Bay post office.

That was shocking for sleepy Newcastle/Warners Bay, and it was so out of the ordinary- unlike USA.
I arrived to those shops just after it happened.

I also know the manager of the PO, as I coached his son in juniors cricket.

Was a very sad day for all.
Old 26-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #52
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The trouble is I think our own cops are taking lessons from the US.
I was watching Hwy Patrol or something last night & the cops pulled over a young bloke who had given them a little run for their money, they dragged him out of his car & jumped on top of him in typical US fashion, handcuffs & very, very aggressive, and totally uncalled for IMO.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #53
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I was watching Hwy Patrol or something last night & the cops pulled over a young bloke who had given them a little run for their money, they dragged him out of his car & jumped on top of him in typical US fashion, handcuffs & very, very aggressive, and totally uncalled for IMO.
yeah some cops are over the top, real heros behind a badge, and bad people skills.

roni levi was shot dead on bondi beach years ago, he had a knife and was surrounded by cops, he was mentally ill, they shot at close range, they could have shot him in the leg, but they didn,t do that. the cop that shot him lost his job.

my brother and sister are both in the force, and some stories are crazy. i think you need to be a certain type of person to be able to cope with the job.

i don,t believe for a second she was shot cause she a approached a cop car.
Old 27-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #54
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post

This one here only a few weeks ago made me think like that..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-footage-shows
Old 27-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #55
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was on t.v news this morning. This time in Sydney.....Probably someone crazy on Ice?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...=1501117340878
Old 27-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #56
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
This one here only a few weeks ago made me think like that..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-footage-shows
That is concerning on first view. Police entering fancy dress nightclub- you would expect people with toy guns etc. Also- is in dispute whether the guy actually pulled a "gun" rather than having something else pulled at the time.

Australia is a far better society than America with regard to gun controls.

And our police forces must strive to be a far better police service serving Australian public than trigger nervy police in USA who are nervy for a reason. The public pay the police wages, they are here to serve the public, to protect the public an uphold the law.

There was another shooting of a guy brandishing a bottle on a florist in Sydney railway station-that may have been justified to protect the florist, who had a grazed neck from the bottle.

I just hope that our police strive to be more like the UK bobbies than the USA "smoke them out" mentality.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 27-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #57
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I think it is all very easy in the cold, hard light of day to be able to judge the actions of those involved.

But how many of us would react the same if we were in the police's position?

You're called to a scene where there is a high degree the offender is armed in some fashion (you don't yet know how, but it was reported by the person calling 000).

The area is dark, there's lots of noises and distraction around you. The offender makes an action that has the potential to put your, or your colleagues, life in direct threat.

You take action to avoid that scenario.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that all shootings are justified. I just think that before people judge they need to put themselves in the police officers shoes, as it is a very tough job that these men and women undertake, simply to be able to put food on the table for their own families.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 27-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #58
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I think it is all very easy in the cold, hard light of day to be able to judge the actions of those involved.

You're called to a scene where there is a high degree the offender is armed in some fashion (you don't yet know how, but it was reported by the person calling 000).

The area is dark, there's lots of noises and distraction around you. The offender makes an action that has the potential to put your, or your colleagues, life in direct threat.

You take action to avoid that scenario.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that all shootings are justified. I just think that before people judge they need to put themselves in the police officers shoes, as it is a very tough job that these men and women undertake, simply to be able to put food on the table for their own families.
Completely agree with all you say. Police have a very hard job to do when dealing with violent members of the public.

Agreed we cannot pass judgment on what occurs in a police shooting as we do not know the facts and have not walked in the policeman's shoes.

I am just voicing a concern and hope that Australian police try to follow the UK "matey" approach and not the "shoot first and cover tush" USA SWAT steroids approach.

Old 27-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #59
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
That is concerning on first view. Police entering fancy dress nightclub- you would expect people with toy guns etc. Also- is in dispute whether the guy actually pulled a "gun" rather than having something else pulled at the time.

Australia is a far better society than America with regard to gun controls.

And our police forces must strive to be a far better police service serving Australian public than trigger nervy police in USA who are nervy for a reason. The public pay the police wages, they are here to serve the public, to protect the public an uphold the law.

There was another shooting of a guy brandishing a bottle on a florist in Sydney railway station-that may have been justified to protect the florist, who had a grazed neck from the bottle.

I just hope that our police strive to be more like the UK bobbies than the USA "smoke them out" mentality.
Like Bobbies? God I hope not, they get run down and attacked with knives/machetes and have nothing to pretect themselves with and have to wait 10 minutes for an armed response team to turn up.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #60
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
How many civilians - here or in the US - have the same training as police officers?
Closed Thread