Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
BaraFGXR6

Default Re: NSW Police's new car: Porsche Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Not at all.

I do hate waste of taxpayers money. Like others on here have said there's no such thing as a free lunch. On top of this a Porsche is a stupid car to use if indeed it is a promotional tool as it contradicts the governments speed kills mantra.

It's also poor timing from a govt. who has just cut billions from education and health.

An exs father used to be a senior cop in the nsw force... The perks they got (incl. the pool of lease cars at their disposal for personal use) had to be seen to be believed...
Its unsubstantiated opinion like this that brings the entire force into disrepute. The old "my cousin's brother's ex mrs dad was a cop and he got this...."

The car is good as it draws attention. People ask "oh why is it here, whats it do?" The cops around it will then start explaining about how speed kills and actually give the person a little education on what is happening.

WHY USE A FAST CAR THAT STANDS OUT? Because its usally the idiots in the falcons and holdens that think their car can smash it, the same idiots that speed on public roads, will be the same people that come and ask the questions one way or another. In effect, your being educated without evening realizing it.

They could just send out pamphlets and waste tv time with it, but its been proven time and time again with the RX8, Subaru WRX, mitsubishi ralliart, the lotus etc, that having a FAST CAR with ALOT of attraction usually targets the audience of who they wish to push the campaign on, which is of course, speeders.

Now grow up, get some facts straight before spilling any more of your "golden" info from the bag.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
Old 21-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
There's a huge difference between a Porsche and a Falcon turbo. In addition, Ford turbos and Holden SSs aren't being used as promotional vehicles like this Porsche supposedly is.

I don't think anyone has an issue with any of the front line police - look at the job they did in Sydney last weekend with the riots. Just amazing.

The issue people have is with the management of the force, both at the senior level and then in government: the massive waste of taxpayer dollars - of which this Porsche is just an example of (no free lunch remember).

I'm sure the Porsche will really enhance relations when driving through low socio-economic areas in Sydney....

not really 'a bit of fun'...
No difference? According to some here the XR6T will "outgun" the Porsche. So what, one rule for one make and not for another? I mean HSV offered VicPol a GTO a couple of years back, what's the problem?

Have you got any documented proof that proves otherwise what has been written, that Porsche have provided the car for 1 year all expenses paid? Can you point me in the direction of a source that indicates that the NSW government are paying for the use of the car?
Old 21-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was it the NSW police that were getting an GT R spec?.
Old 21-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a finely crafted piece of German technology......absolutely beautiful!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 21-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
No difference? According to some here the XR6T will "outgun" the Porsche. So what, one rule for one make and not for another? I mean HSV offered VicPol a GTO a couple of years back, what's the problem?

Have you got any documented proof that proves otherwise what has been written, that Porsche have provided the car for 1 year all expenses paid? Can you point me in the direction of a source that indicates that the NSW government are paying for the use of the car?
My apologies. I didn't realise you could buy a new Panamera for XR6T money: you have me there, they are the same, there's no difference. It's not like Porsche is synonomous with speed, racing and exclusitivity and the Falcon is associated (by most ordinary Aussies) with a family car or a taxi.

Second point, if you are willing to accept everything that the government tells you at face value then good for you. I, like others, have been around long enough to realise that there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's your right to believe otherwise.
Old 21-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6
Its unsubstantiated opinion like this that brings the entire force into disrepute. The old "my cousin's brother's ex mrs dad was a cop and he got this...."
No - an ex's father, very senior, who I knew very well for 5 years.... Feel free to exaggerate the point again and then dismiss it. Doesn't make an ounce of difference to me.
Old 21-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #37
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
My apologies. I didn't realise you could buy a new Panamera for XR6T money: you have me there, they are the same, there's no difference. It's not like Porsche is synonomous with speed, racing and exclusitivity and the Falcon is associated (by most ordinary Aussies) with a family car or a taxi.

Second point, if you are willing to accept everything that the government tells you at face value then good for you. I, like others, have been around long enough to realise that there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's your right to believe otherwise.
Hang on the comments were in reference to the Porsche being inappropriate due to the politics surrounding the speed kills campaign. I highlighted that was mooted by the point that the fact others have suggested the XR6T, SS, etc will outgun the Porsche, had nothing to do with price, after all the car was donated to NSW police.
I'm sorry I didn't realise the XR6T and the SS commodore are not normally associated with bogan hoons :P

I'm as willing to accept what the government states as I am with some anonymous person on a forum who cannot produce any form of evidence to contradict what has been printed besides the usual "my uncle's father's brother who knows the bloke down the street said so."
Old 21-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I'm all for people trying to justify their point, to an extent.
However, seeing that Porshe Australia have DONATED this car to the Police, it has nothing to do with Govco and taxes.
Falcon is associated with a taxi, yes. Show me someone that thinks a XR6T/XR8/FPV isn't synonymous with speed. It's a promotion tool used to get peoples attention. A Porshe does this very well.
E.g. Two Police cars parked next to each other, one a XR6T, the other a Porshe. I know which i'd prefer to see!

P.s Not to mention that Porsche also gets to be publicized widely for having 'Police' on their car

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Last edited by XR6T0Y; 21-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 21-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #39
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the police got a free vehicle to be used then great! saves some tax payers money ...
Old 21-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Someone needs this...

Yes, the Porsche is a fast car, does that mean the police are hypocrites because they book people for speeding?

No...No...every car in the police force is capable of exceeding the nations speed limits...and police, surprising as it may be, need to exceed these limits in some cases...

Yes, there is no such thing as a free lunch, its not as relevation, but its still a free car, and you can't argue with that. It is used as a PR machine...look at all the attention its got now. Place it a police recruitment booths etc, gets people looking, and for all but nothing...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 21-09-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #41
Dave3911

You guys do realise that the police do a hell of a lot more than police the roads, right? I haven't seen anything that says this vehicle is going to be used for road safety awareness, in fact they very clearly stated it's intention. Here it is again:

The uniqueness of the vehicle is in short an “ice breaker” with local kids, youth groups and those that for the most part do not have a positive interaction with the Police. It is the hope that when engaging people about the car it will give us the ability to talk with them about other concerns or issues they may have and help foster a closer relationship between the Police and our local community.

It's a community policing tool. They are going to go park it down the commission flats and see if they can get some of the local kids to come chat to them. Break down some barriers and try to get some trust going. Policing in some of these communities is a huge issue and something that isn't helped by the fact that the relationship between the police and it's members can be pretty toxic.

Police do all sorts of things to break these barriers down.. from organising football tournaments... sausage sizzles... under age discos..... I've even seen them setup 10 Xbox's at the local community hall and play some call of duty. This is just another one.....

As for those with the conspiracy theory's that it is in fact costing them money.... take your tin foil hats off and stop trying to proove that the moon landing was faked.... seriously.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911

As for those with the conspiracy theory's that it is in fact costing them money.... take your tin foil hats off and stop trying to proove that the moon landing was faked.... seriously.

Its was though was faked though!

Buzz was cruising down the highway to fox movie studios to film the "moon landing", however, there was a unmarked Highway patrol car lined up at the lights, he gave buzz "the look", and Buzz planted his foot, unleashing the power of his 67 GT500...

The officer then chased after him, pulled him over and issued him a fine, then, after seeing the name Buss Aldrin on his license, assumed he was faking the identity (He is meant to be on the moon, right?) So Buss was taken to lock up, and after a call to his Commander, the situation was fixed (and some police had some fatter wallets)

Buzz made it to the studios just in time, but not quick enough to be the first man on the moon, with Neil having to take that honor.

And that's the story of the moon landing.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

^ Hahah

Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 21-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such negativity.... the usual police hatred rears its ugly head...

Tell me one thing oh so negative folk... if the car was a Prius... would you all be having a whinge about it? or would it bemore like... "A PRIUS??? howstupid is that".... " A Prius ??what do they hope to catch in that?"

Funny when the pictures of the "moroons" QLD police car featured during the state of origin everyone went oooh ahhh...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 21-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
http://www.opsm.com.au/

Ugliest Porsche ever made. Top Gear made me laugh when they referred to it as the hunchback of notre dame, and quasimodo.
Old 22-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #46
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Come on champ, it's not that good.
Old 22-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #47
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honestly i would rather see a xr6t

These are all over europe, not really that excotic or exciting considering its the base v6 model with autotragic.

Glad to see that none of our money has been wasted but i fail to see the point of this whole stunt if they only get to keep it for a year.
Old 23-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #48
Torment47
Mr Hoon

I would love to be the owner of a Tyre shop who "SELLS" them tyres ;) $$$!!!
Old 23-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #49
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahahaha "P lice"

Click here to see my ute
Old 23-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #50
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
http://www.opsm.com.au/

Ugliest Porsche ever made. Top Gear made me laugh when they referred to it as the hunchback of notre dame, and quasimodo.

it is simply impossible for a porsche to be ugly, precise, responsive and durable.....never ugly

I wish I had a whole herd of them in my shed, many of the older models are still racing and this one will live forever

the decisions made by top gear are very debatable at best.....if it cant go sideways at 90 miles an hour they dont want to know about it...they produce a program which appeals to the lowest common denominator

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 23-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #51
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
Come on champ, it's not that good.
yeah! .......it is!!!

Old 23-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #52
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Porsche:- Over rated, over priced and over here. Now, bite on that!
Old 23-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #53
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
Porsche:- Over rated, over priced and over here. Now, bite on that!
so under no circumstance would you own the machine pictured?????

Old 23-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #54
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so under no circumstance would you own the machine pictured?????
Come on man, we all know a GT-P is heaps better brah.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #55
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47
I would love to be the owner of a Tyre shop who "SELLS" them tyres ;) $$$!!!
I doubt it'll do enough Ks in the 12 months they've got it to need Tyres.... besides, they clearly state that Porsche have donated all maintenance.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
it is simply impossible for a porsche to be ugly, precise, responsive and durable.....never ugly

I wish I had a whole herd of them in my shed, many of the older models are still racing and this one will live forever

the decisions made by top gear are very debatable at best.....if it cant go sideways at 90 miles an hour they dont want to know about it...they produce a program which appeals to the lowest common denominator
Porsches can be ugly, this one proves it. That rear end hunchback is hiddeous.

Very rarely do Porsche get it wrong but this was an epic fail style wise.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #57
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Very cool - hope it works out for them.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 23-09-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #58
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poppa smurf, my dream car is a BMW 760i V12 6l twin turbo 548hp goer. If I get one I'm going to have to get lessons on how to drive it. And if somebody gave me the Porsche you are talking about, I would sell it and buy the Beamer asap
Old 23-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #59
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I don't get it, HE likes the car, it's HIS opinion. Not anyone elses. Let him like it if he does!

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 24-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #60
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
poppa smurf, my dream car is a BMW 760i V12 6l twin turbo 548hp goer. If I get one I'm going to have to get lessons on how to drive it. And if somebody gave me the Porsche you are talking about, I would sell it and buy the Beamer asap

if that is the 2 door jobby then I agree totally, and if I won the porsche or got it for nothing I would sell it and buy a bigger/better van and or tug

I'm not one for performance vehicles and I really could care less about the type of vehicle I drove.....the deciding factor is the weight it can pull, economy, comfort and reliability

I dont mind the look of the vehicle, the build quality is unquestionable, probably not the best looking car porsche has made but far from ugly

I'm sure 5 minutes behind the wheel would take those misgivings away

anyhoo!....opinions are a personal thing.....I like it...some others dont

it worries me not!

Closed Thread