Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #31
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

air flow meter from ford for a kj laser is 2400 and got a price today for a cat converter for a petrol transit van was 2200. what makes them special is the o2 sensor goes into the side of it.
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #32
Taxman
Taxman

I find it hard to understand how Ford Australia could possibly justify charging the amounts they do for a part shipped from the US in BULK and charging 4 times the amount it costs me to buy the same genuine item and having it air freighted and then couried to my door.

Ford Explorer V6, the motors that are made in Germany have an extra timing belt on the back yes the back of the motor - very cheap to purchase from Ford Australia only $1,700.00 to have fitted by Ford Australia around $4,500. Buy a 'genuine' Ford part from the US, air freight (about a week or less) to Aust around $400. To buy from the US and have fitted by local mechanic all up, less than Ford Australia wanted just for the part. Ford will have to learn that being Australian doesn't mean that we are millionaires and that we don't mind being ripped off.

I always thought it was a smart marketing technique to give an incentive for people to continue to come back and spend more of their hard earned dollars with you. I guess Ford Australia disagree, they seem more hell bent on gouging as much out of you as they can and assume that you will come back for more of the same just because they are "FORD".
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #33
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
I find it hard to understand how Ford Australia could possibly justify charging the amounts they do for a part shipped from the US in BULK and charging 4 times the amount it costs me to buy the same genuine item and having it air freighted and then couried to my door.

Ford Explorer V6, the motors that are made in Germany have an extra timing belt on the back yes the back of the motor - very cheap to purchase from Ford Australia only $1,700.00 to have fitted by Ford Australia around $4,500. Buy a 'genuine' Ford part from the US, air freight (about a week or less) to Aust around $400. To buy from the US and have fitted by local mechanic all up, less than Ford Australia wanted just for the part. Ford will have to learn that being Australian doesn't mean that we are millionaires and that we don't mind being ripped off.

I always thought it was a smart marketing technique to give an incentive for people to continue to come back and spend more of their hard earned dollars with you. I guess Ford Australia disagree, they seem more hell bent on gouging as much out of you as they can and assume that you will come back for more of the same just because they are "FORD".

I found much the same thing with the Escape when I had one.
For instance Front Brake Pads (genuine) at Byrne Ford $250.00 and the genunie ones ruin rotors in less than 30,000 klm.
The Radiator Bottle $300.00 from Byrne Ford-EXACT same part from Grand Prix Mazda as a Mazda tribute part (even same part number and the box has both ford and mazda symbols on it) $130.00
Old 31-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #34
b2tf
not here much anymore

Parts prices had a lot to do with me getting rid of the Focus and going back t another locally built Falcon. Anything for a Focus was always ridiculously expensive, and hard to get - mainly because the Fraud guys know nothing about them (" you mean a festiva right? "), and could never order the right parts.
Old 31-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #35
steamin63
old skool

1 x front strut for a kj2 laser from ford [after employee discount] $695...WTF.
Mazda retail [exactly the same part] $305.
2 x front,2 x rear kyb performance struts [made in japan],front and rear kings hd lowered coils,fitting and wheel allignment $980 from GSM Suspension.
PS. mazda parts and services are 99% of the time up to half the price of the same ford part or service.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #36
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all you blokes have nowt on BMW prices.....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Interesting the Ford / Mazda parts sharing.

I was always wondering... say you had one of those Sangyoung Chairman's.. that poor man's limo based on an older Merc. If you were the owner of the Merc the Chairman also used, what would have been the price difference for engine / transmission / driveline parts... and anything else for that matter that was shared across the 2 brands???

Same with the 3.2 Merc engine used in the Musso???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #38
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
all you blokes have nowt on BMW prices.....
Not wrong there, priced a single new rear brake rotor for the K100. Genuine wanted $600, aftermarket with trade in on original $500. I could buy a PAIR of slotted rotors for the car for that, and probably still have change

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL6B2
Ford can be expensive at times , but at other times there very well priced.

Try pricing parts from subaru, OMG dont take a seat more like lay down and throw a brick in the air.
Subaru wanted $500 for the coolant, fuel, tacho, and speedo. This was just the needles and gaugeface.

Some guy had an insurance claim and they agreed to mod his car instead because OEM parts were so expensive.

TDO4 Turbo - $4500

WRX TMIC - $2435

WRX EJ207 Long Motor - $15,000

Clutch - $1200
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Abacus
Life's a Gas

^^^

Yeah, Subaru. 10 years ago I was doing work for a Subaru dealership that had to get some seats for an SVX. The orginal seats had been stolen. The trade price for the pair was more than $12,000.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also when I had my TX5 there was a few small items that were massively expensive for OEM parts. I realize that it was more due to being an older car but man humans only have 2 arms and 2 legs :
Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #42
gtfpv
GT

electric window switch $137 . just for a button . but try and find a 2nd hand and you just wont.
wait till the BF IS 10 YEARS OLD . THE ba was the first ford probuced to be thrown away after 10 years . dont believe me wait and see. completely electronic controlled . parts will expire and not be sold after 10 years . they will retain prices , if you can buy one . an AN ECU was 15g's for a ba when they are new . WHAT ARE THEY NOW . ??
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #43
XR6 Hulk

All I know is that ford asked me $480 for a thermostat housing and I bought the same part from Bursen for $90. When I went home I realised a small hose that hooks onto it was split. this time Bursen couldnt help me so I has to return to ford, the same guy who quoted me $480 for the thermostat started licking his lips... (they can smell blood when you return) ahhh ya want the thermostat. No just the hose. He still hit me up for $36. I was frothing at the mouth, a small rubber hose maybe 3 inchs long $36.
XR6 Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Im sure he enjoyed at the experience as much as us!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #45
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$36 for a hose. man that must be a nice hose
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #46
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Hulk
All I know is that ford asked me $480 for a thermostat housing and I bought the same part from Bursen for $90. When I went home I realised a small hose that hooks onto it was split. this time Bursen couldnt help me so I has to return to ford, the same guy who quoted me $480 for the thermostat started licking his lips... (they can smell blood when you return) ahhh ya want the thermostat. No just the hose. He still hit me up for $36. I was frothing at the mouth, a small rubber hose maybe 3 inchs long $36.
you could have probably got a meter of that hose from autobarn for about $6
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #47
XR6 Hulk

Nah, it was flared on one end so its hard to just chuck another hose on it but it has a 90 degrees bend in it.

You dont wanna chuck some dodgy hose on it and half way to QLD, it blows off or blows a hole and the coolant come rushing out, because its kinked where you tried to bend it, all to save $20 bucks. (im sure the didgy hose costs something)
XR6 Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Hulk
Nah, it was flared on one end so its hard to just chuck another hose on it but it has a 90 degrees bend in it.

You dont wanna chuck some dodgy hose on it and half way to QLD, it blows off or blows a hole and the coolant come rushing out, because its kinked where you tried to bend it, all to save $20 bucks. (im sure the didgy hose costs something)
If you know of a good spare parts company... NOT one that employs shelf stackers and a checkout chick, you can often match your old hose with another brand.

I used to need various hoses on my old V12 Jag (now THEY know how to charge!) I'd take the old hose into my local Auto One and we'd go for a walk out the back, 9 times out of 10 something suiting a Jap car would fit with a little trimming.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #49
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Not wrong there, priced a single new rear brake rotor for the K100. Genuine wanted $600, aftermarket with trade in on original $500. I could buy a PAIR of slotted rotors for the car for that, and probably still have change

E46 M3 rotors....$8-900 each

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #50
richardxr8

Ring your local fraud dealer and price a set of front disk pads for a BA1 GTP (Brembo's)....
When you stop laughing, ask the price for rear pads to suit Brembos !!
Its so ridiculous, I cant even type it in !!

Then ring Matt from Racebrakes Sydney
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardxr8
Ring your local fraud dealer and price a set of front disk pads for a BA1 GTP (Brembo's)....
When you stop laughing, ask the price for rear pads to suit Brembos !!
Its so ridiculous, I cant even type it in !!

Then ring Matt from Racebrakes Sydney
Why don't you amuse us all and tell us the price :
Old 13-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #52
barthez

today got quoted just over 2 grand for an alternator for my gfs festiva..........rough estimate from an auto electrician is 450 supplied and fitted hahaha
barthez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #53
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

$10,050 for a BA 4 Speed Auto

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #54
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

V8 Powerstroke diesel engine = over 50k
Boss 260 engine = 18k
Clutch kit from Ford for 260 / 5 speed = $2350

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #55
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

alot of spares would be high in price to stop people fitting the more exclusive parts to other cars...i was looking at an AU XR momo steering wheel for my EL...$1000, no way!

That, and companies are in the buisness to make money.

That said Gen ford spare's are handy, and can be cheaper the Ford Momo gear nobs are a good buy, and actually have a thread, unlike the aftermarket ones that end up spinning and whatnot. EA-ED clear Indicators are around $30 i've seen aftermarket ones dearer...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #56
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How's about $22 for a litre of BMW top up oil for the Mini? Actually its not that bad because the service intervals depend on how and where you drive so it only needs servicing when it needs it. My distance to service indicator (which does vary) says oil service in 22000km (last service 5k ago), so some special oil to bridge the distance not that bad.

Subie off-side rear door window with privacy glass fitted was about $650 fitted which did not include the GPS that was nicked (not me driving and I told them NOT to leave it on the windscreen).

Ford wise, I recently snapped the little y-connectors that join the washer lines under the bonnet in the NC. Here we go I thought as I left the END-series-less wrecker, ford will probably want around $50. I bought 4 at $1 each. Some happy surprises. I also paid $550 (parts only) for a genuine Tickford suspension set up for my old EF futura too (circa 2002). Both from Dominelli Sutherland

$2500 for a rear view mirror on a current Iveco EuroCargo was a bit steep for the heavier stuff.
Old 13-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #57
mad cow
blue oval addict

its not all bad news, i bought 2 door handles for my xh today from ford and they wre only $25 each. i was also in need for a dizzy for the xh and the parts guy ordered an aftermarket one in as it was cheaper by a long shot and from the same manafacturer. it sure helps when the parts guy knows his stuff, he didnt even have to look it up...
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #58
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the super secret "BMW oil" that they tell customers MUST be used or else catastrophic engine failure is imminent can in the case of that giant oil guzzling the BMW X5, be replaced with Castrol Edge 0W-40. But will they only tell you that if you apply immense pressure.
I have had several owners of all sorts of BMW's tell me that a certain NSW dealership refused to tell them over the phone what top up oil could be used when the dreaded add oil light (frequently) appears. I had to ring for a lady to find out what to put in her 12 month old X5 as they refused to tell her over the phone, they said she had no option but to bring the car in for a top up! When I rang for her the service guy finally told me to use the Castrol oil, but he didn't give in easily.
Theres a good chance the Mini takes Castrol Edge 5w-30
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #59
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

$100 each for EB brake rotors and $60 a corner for pads. I had a chuckle and got them for cost at Autobarn....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #60
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I always find ford cheaper than after market. Oil filters at ford are around $5-6, air filters for a BA around $25, even engine oil os cheaper than the castrol 0-30 which it pretty much is anyway.
What I love though, is the dealer price for a ZF 6 speed box. For a dealer to buy one is $11,500; then you have trade and then retail. Retail I was told was around 16K.

Quote: