Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speed bumps should only be for high speed hoons, why should those of us who can drive safely through or out from a carpark have to suffer?
If they made them a bit lower the hoon crowd with the lowered vehicles would still have to slow while others who would not speed in excess anyway through the area would not have to as much.
Some speed humps are easy enough to go over at 20-30 k's while others scrape your car underside even if crawling over so why the difference?
Or rather what sort of moron makes them so damm high?
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

Im surprised no-one has thought to challenge them based on 'greenhouse' gases. Constant braking and accelerating along some of the streets that have them must be doubling the emissions, more than double if they have several along a street. Accelerating and changing gears burns more fuel than cruising at 50.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing as how the whole idea of a "speed hump" is to slow you down at a particular point, why would you be so concerned about whether you can just flog over them without slowing down?

That also explains why there isn't a design of hump that "allows you" to not slow down. They are supposed to slow you down...

And if your car "scrapes" then it is either A: lower than the legal 100mm limit, or B: something is up with your suspension/you are taking it too quick and when your suspension compresses on the other side it scrapes.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Seeing as how the whole idea of a "speed hump" is to slow you down at a particular point, why would you be so concerned about whether you can just flog over them without slowing down?

That also explains why there isn't a design of hump that "allows you" to not slow down. They are supposed to slow you down...

And if your car "scrapes" then it is either A: lower than the legal 100mm limit, or B: something is up with your suspension/you are taking it too quick and when your suspension compresses on the other side it scrapes.

Dont know if your talking to me or someone else here however your reasoning is somewhat flawed.

Point 1 yes speed humps are designed to slow cars down however most of us can slow ourselves down when & if needed as in a maccas carpark, I mean speed humps or not I would still drive slow through them so how do humps help make me a safer driver?

Point 2 The design point I made was that they vary a great deal even within the same carpark & some are so high that even a stock standard new car like mine scrapes badly.

Point 3 I have already answered this mostly in my reply "point 2" however again you say oh your driving too fast & then braking & compressing your suspension, well NO I crawl over the larger ones I am referring to making sure not to compress or bounce suspension & it still scrapes & remember I have a stock standard vehicle with suspension in good order.

So come on give me intelligent replies to my 3 points if you can.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #35
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of us would only need a sign saying 10 or 20 kph etc with no humps ty
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed bumps slow down honest law abiding citizens.
The people in 15 year old cars who don't care about anything still fly over them.

Whats worse is this stupid slow points. They just put a random obstacle in the middle of a normal straight lane, so you have to drive around it. How is that safe.

I hate normal roads that have many really slow speed bumps in unnecessary places. I normally floor it between these bumps in spite of them.

I have nothing against reasonable speed bumps in necessary places.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #37
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I never touch the suspension on my cars and I've had a few of them grind or BANG on a speed hump travelling very slow. The shopping centre at Eastgardens.. I boycotted the roof as (at least several years ago when I last went up there) had the lovely bitumen speed hump with another metal hump in the middle of it. I had to houdini it sideways on my BA XR8 with stock height one day after bottoming out on a couple of them.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Im surprised no-one has thought to challenge them based on 'greenhouse' gases. Constant braking and accelerating along some of the streets that have them must be doubling the emissions, more than double if they have several along a street. Accelerating and changing gears burns more fuel than cruising at 50.
spot on mate, not to mention brake dust as well, we must be hoon central in melb, because there are so many blasted humps, even in the maccas drive through , i suspect these things are half the reason many brake rotors are buggered prematurely, 7/8 stops in a short time from 60 k`s and the brakes are stinking hot.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post