Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: speeding fines

Take it on the chin...the speed zone starts and ends at a certain time, make sure you take notice of what times they are.

As for "kids won't be around at 8am"...haven't driven past a school lately, have you...the school zones I used to go through back in Bundy ended at 4pm, and there were still kids around then (after school sports, etc).

The one thing you don't want to have to do is have to stand up in court and explain why you thought it was OK to go over the speed limit in a school zone in the school zone times and you cleaned up that kid who was walking across the road...

Personally I'd like to see it an automatic loss of licence for anyone speeding in school zones...
Old 22-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pay a mate $500 to take the points and pay the fine. If you are worried about loseing your licence. I know this is illegal and wrong. But it is basicaly the way out.
Old 22-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #33
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Take it on the chin...the speed zone starts and ends at a certain time, make sure you take notice of what times they are.

As for "kids won't be around at 8am"...haven't driven past a school lately, have you...the school zones I used to go through back in Bundy ended at 4pm, and there were still kids around then (after school sports, etc).

The one thing you don't want to have to do is have to stand up in court and explain why you thought it was OK to go over the speed limit in a school zone in the school zone times and you cleaned up that kid who was walking across the road...

Personally I'd like to see it an automatic loss of licence for anyone speeding in school zones...
What he said.

Voice of common sense.

EDIT: Not-so-common sense, clearly.

Last edited by FG_Frodza; 22-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Automatic is a VERY dangerous word.
There is always a story and each event should be judged on its merits.

e.g. the sign is obscured/stolen. You are still speeding in a school zone but do not know this (assume it is not your local area)
School zones are only valid on "school days", Do you know every school day including weekend events, show holidays especially not in your local area?

There are possibly dozens of other reasons why you could be unintentionally speeding in a school zone but automatic is automatic so you would be stuffed.

Do you really want to live in a country with that type of society?

And of course if it is suitable for schools then why not everywhere all the time?

I am sure at least a couple of our members would like to see that..........

Last edited by flappist; 22-09-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #35
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_man
points dont matter automatic loss of licence
So there would be nothing to lose in penning a letter.

You havent elaborated on whether there were any flashing signs, crossing attendants etc?

I do have some sympathy for your plight, I go through 7 different school 40km/h zones on my way to work each day; on one occasion possibly similar circumstances to yourself, brain fade and I failed to slow to 40km/h(realising when I saw the 60 sign at the end of the zone!) - basically the only time Ive accidently broken a road law, but was lucky that the only consequence was feeling terrible about it.

My sympathy is a little conditional, the odds of getting picked up on just one error are very remote, possibly you have been rolling the dice with your driving traits, or regularly are distracted/have brain fade( your post indicates that you initially had no idea that you'd committed the offence other than the letter in the mail, didnt see the parked car and the camera even after driving past it?) and this is not unexpected?

Last edited by sudszy; 22-09-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What flappist said. +1

It's pretty easy for everyone on here to have an opinion about your situation because we are all not in your situation. Myself included.

But even if you weren't speeding intentionally, they still clocked you. I've been pulled over before and I didn't even realise I was speeding. If you have to take the heat for it, then you do - and learn a lesson to be even more vigilant and careful in the future. You did something wrong, even if it was unintentional - you still have to take responsibility for it, and responsibility is something severely lacking in society IMO.

But I think it's unfair of other people to say just say "just deal with it". I'm sure many of us have been caught speeding unintentionally. And I know there's some people who have never been pulled over.

I would be looking into the good behaviour option, as suggested earlier. Or, making an appeal to the magistrate stating that even though you were at fault, it was an unintentional misdemeanor.

I personally think that getting someone else to take the blame and lose points for you is a very low act.. IMO. Not to mention illegal.

Last edited by lilmattie; 22-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slight difference in reception if you go before a court and try and get off with 10kph over the limit on an empty highway, to going before the court and trying to argue you should get off lightly for speeding by the same amount over the limit in a school zone during the times on the sign...

If you said you were a good driver, in a good car, with a good driver history, on a remote highway doing 10kph over, I would hazard a guess that 90% of people would agree that wasn't really that big a deal, and maybe a bit of leniency should be shown.
Tell those same people you were in a school zone, and the 90% figure would be those against you who would happily see the book chucked at you for the risk you have just taken with kids lives.

And yes, this is probably one of the only times you can truthfully and quite accurately use the old cliche: "Think of the children!"...it's like people who hate speed cameras...I know plenty of people who are dead set 100% against speed cameras, but I don't know one single person who is against the same sort of camera set up as a red light camera, catching plonkers who endanger everyone elses lives by running a red.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #38
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without morally judging you, here are the options you have:

1. Pay the fine via a phone and keep driving, you may eventually get a letter saying your licence is suspended, then you gonna just have to wear it …
2. Find a person to take the blame, you can pay them some money for the points loss to convince them, you can ask your mates or your mates parents or relatives who have a full licence …
3. Take the matter to court, explain the judge the situation, explain you are happy to pay the fine but you do not want to lose your licence, they may let you go or may not, all will depend on how convincing you are …

Whichever option you pick unfortunately you gonna have to pay up one way or another …
Old 22-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #39
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also I forgot to add …

People with an international licence do not happy any points applied to them, they simply pay the fines (sometimes higher) …

If you know any international students then many will be more than happy to accept the fall since effectively they do not incur any hard from doing so …

I used to know a number of people back in my uni days who used to frequency update their international licences such that they can keep doing that …

P.S. I’m not advising you to do illegal things in any shape or form, just simply listing out all the possible options … you are solely the one who will wear the responsibility from the choices you make …
Old 22-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Can't wait til that whole 'swapping points' crap is made illegal.

If you seriously drive in a manner where you constantly are being fined/pulled over your license should be cut up in front of your eyes.

Fact is school zone had started, he got caught speeding, he's having a whinge to try and get out of it, which to me means guilt and now doesn't wanna lose their license.

TOO FLIPPIN BAD. Lose it and deal with it.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #41
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Part of the reason society in general is "falling apart" is too many people dont like to take responsibility for their actions and palm off their mistakes to other people. ITS CALLED GROWING UP AND ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY.
The amount of people on here giving really BAD advice and saying to the OP " get ya mates to admit guilt" is just the sort of thing which screws up the way society behaves...
Never accept guilt or get someone else to take the blame.
If you want to argue the fine with the magistrate that is your right to do so, but this childish attitude of pointing at someone else and screaming "he did it!!!" gets you no respect.

Either pay the fine.... or go to the magistrate...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 22-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Can't wait til that whole 'swapping points' crap is made illegal.

If you seriously drive in a manner where you constantly are being fined/pulled over your license should be cut up in front of your eyes.

Fact is school zone had started, he got caught speeding, he's having a whinge to try and get out of it, which to me means guilt and now doesn't wanna lose their license.

TOO FLIPPIN BAD. Lose it and deal with it.
The "swapping points" is already EXTREMELY illegal and the penalty can be huge, much more than almost any other traffic offence.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #43
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The "swapping points" is already EXTREMELY illegal and the penalty can be huge, much more than almost any other traffic offence.
Excellent news.

I'm sick of today youngsters trying to get out of situations that they've created and went lopsided.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #44
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes “swapping points” is illegal, so is “swapping drivers” in an event of an accident for insurance purposes …

The issue however is that there is no proof to prove otherwise. With speed cameras they just photograph a car, anyone could be driving it, hell car could even be stolen! The reality is that this leaves to much room for people to try and get creative about how they go about dealing with this … let’s face it nobody wants to loose their licence! and most people would prefer to pay extra and keep the licence … and hence the law put people in a very uncomfortable position …

Speed cameras should be scraped, police should be the one’s who monitor and catch speeding drivers. A human being can assess the situation and better determine the appropriate measures at the time of the event, rather than some silly camera happy snapping anything over the programmed limit (yes birds and helicopters included …)

In many countries major intersections will have a policeman patrolling the traffic, checking for idiots running red lights, or idiots performing illegal turns, or idiots crossing the pedestrian lines, or even idiots creating traffic congestion and blocking the way …. While in Australia we just happy snap for speeding …
Old 22-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #45
THE CADBURY KID

Nothing like running a little kid over to ruin some lives,best off not speeding and pay more attention
Old 22-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #46
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Yes “swapping points” is illegal, so is “swapping drivers” in an event of an accident for insurance purposes …

The issue however is that there is no proof to prove otherwise. With speed cameras they just photograph a car, anyone could be driving it, hell car could even be stolen! …
The photo may well have a clear picture of whom is driving, or at least rule out the possibility of having your five foot granny be nominated. I wonder how many stat decs are followed up with the authorities checking the computer licence photo with that in incident photo. A request for the photo would be a good indicator that perhaps they the conspirators are checking it out before making the stat dec.
Im guessing thousands of stat decs are made with photos every year, the majority being legit and following them up is maybe not a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Speed cameras should be scraped, police should be the one’s who monitor and catch speeding drivers. A human being can assess the situation and better determine the appropriate measures at the time of the event, rather than some silly camera happy snapping anything over the programmed limit (yes birds and helicopters included …)

In many countries major intersections will have a policeman patrolling the traffic, checking for idiots running red lights, or idiots performing illegal turns, or idiots crossing the pedestrian lines, or even idiots creating traffic congestion and blocking the way …. While in Australia we just happy snap for speeding …
I disagree, but not the thread to pursue it in.
Old 22-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #47
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
Start an eBay auction for someone to cop the fine for you... I'd do it for 500 bucks.... retarded laws call for shady dealings imo!
But the car in the picture has red P plates, yet the guy taking the points is on his blacks....it might just open up a whole new world of pain for the OP getting caught submitting a false stat dec.
Old 22-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #48
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91falc
Do they have you're face? I've heard of many getting their parents to cop the fine and points...
Isnt there a nsw judge that just got convicted of pervert the course of justice for signing a false stat dec
Old 22-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #49
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why was your clock out? I don't understand what that has to do with school kids
Old 22-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #50
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

How do they expect us to be up to date with what time the school zones are as it seems every school has different times. The school my kids go to has the 40 zone in force between 8am and 9.30am and then 2pm and 4pm in the arvo. The thing is the school starts classes at 8.45am and finishes at 2.30pm and including staff there are 31 people at the school.

I think in this case you will have to cop the fine but the way the government has the school zones at the moment its more about revenue raising then protecting the lives of our kids

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
Old 22-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #51
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there must be some leeway in the "times" lets list some things that have leeway shall I (in victoria)

speed limits have a percentage for error

registration whilst it expires midnight on the day you can re-register in a few months and not have to do a full RWC

your drivers' license itself can expire and provided it isn't years and years out they will renew

so the system has room for leniency as proven by above examples, as for your speed provided that the speedlimit non-school time is 50kmh and you were "caught" doing 50kmh merely minutes after the zone came into effect, I would highlight this now if you were doing say 80kph in a 60 and were nabbed at 70-80 then you were speeding without question. I am sick to death of everybody saying "just cop it" I myself have been nabbed for "speeding" with extenuating circumstances on several occasions - my biggest beef is mobile camera at base of hill going just fast enough to be over tolerance ...

in Victoria no school I am aware of will even let kids inside before 8.30, and dropping them off beforehand is deeply frowned upon

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 22-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #52
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by 836Falcon
How do they expect us to be up to date with what time the school zones are as it seems every school has different times. The school my kids go to has the 40 zone in force between 8am and 9.30am and then 2pm and 4pm in the arvo. The thing is the school starts classes at 8.45am and finishes at 2.30pm and including staff there are 31 people at the school.

I think in this case you will have to cop the fine but the way the government has the school zones at the moment its more about revenue raising then protecting the lives of our kids
I don't agree with school zones at all, but that's a different point. It doesn't matter what times the school classes are, the school zone times are those indicated on the signs, some schools start & finish earlier or later, & those school zones have different times indicated. It's your responsibility to read the sign & decide what limit applies & when. Student free days, don't get you off either. In NSW, unless it's a NSW Government gazetted school holiday, School zones apply, whether children or teachers are there or not doesn't matter, again it's your responsibility to find that out. School zones operate on official atomic time, if the zone doesn't have flashing lights to indicate it's in operation, again it's your responsibility to know the correct time.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #53
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spend all of your effort watching the speedo - yeah you may hit some kids and the odd dog, and maybe a mum or two, but dont EVER speed !!

/sarcasm
Old 22-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #54
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
I don't agree with school zones at all, but that's a different point. It doesn't matter what times the school classes are, the school zone times are those indicated on the signs, some schools start & finish earlier or later, & those school zones have different times indicated. It's your responsibility to read the sign & decide what limit applies & when. Student free days, don't get you off either. In NSW, unless it's a NSW Government gazetted school holiday, School zones apply, whether children or teachers are there or not doesn't matter, again it's your responsibility to find that out. School zones operate on official atomic time, if the zone doesn't have flashing lights to indicate it's in operation, again it's your responsibility to know the correct time.
I do follow the school zone speeds but what I am getting at is the way they are set is more about getting money. I even know of a school zone of 40km/h that has is on a road that has a normal speed zone of 100km/h. The kids actually get closer to the road running around the oval then they do at the start and finish of school.

The reason I think it more about money is the fact that one end of the zone is less then a 100m after a blind crest and blind curve both of which are easily negotiated at 100km/h but if you dont know about the school zone and a hwy patrol car is there they will get you as you would be struggling to slow fast enough and there are no signs prior to say there is a school zone ahead and if one of the many semis are behind you then trying to slow for the zone is likely to end badly.

How hard is it to have all school zones the same speed at the same times state wide that way people cant argue they werent aware of the exact times of the zone

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in

Last edited by El Venom; 22-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #55
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
there must be some leeway in the "times" lets list some things that have leeway shall I (in victoria)

speed limits have a percentage for error
The limit has no "percentage for error" at all in it, the measuring devices that detect speed do.

Quote:
registration whilst it expires midnight on the day you can re-register in a few months and not have to do a full RWC
Yeah, but if you get caught driving after midnight your driving an unregistered motor vehicle and can be fined... Just because Vicroads wait before cancelling the registration allowing a renewal period without inspection and/or RWC is an administrative function and has nothing to do with "leeway" within the law or relevant to this thread.

Quote:
your drivers' license itself can expire and provided it isn't years and years out they will renew
As above, the minute it expires you are unlicensed & can be charged. Simple. Just because they allow renewal without test for a certain time period is not relevant.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #56
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 836Falcon

How hard is it to have all school zones the same speed at the same times state wide that way people cant argue they werent aware of the exact times of the zone
A) its written on the sign..
B) not every school starts at the same time, the government cant compell private schools as to what time they start. There may be also locality issues.

Reading a sign ISNT DIFFICULT... its not as if a school appears suddenly overnight. I really dont comprehend how some people just go on and on about something so simple and try and palm it off as "its too hard".

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 22-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #57
turbo_man

ok firstly
my licence is clean
no flashing lights
it was the camera on forest road at penshurst beside the girls high school
and out of curiousity if the fine gets transfered to me after a stat dec is signed as the car isnt in my name (the fine is currently in my step mum's name but as i mentioned she wont take the fine) there is a high chance of me having my green p licence by then, would this save me from losing it or would i still lose it as i was a red p plater when it happened?
Old 22-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #58
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Feel free to answer the new question from the OP but the first one is done, let's not go around in circles anymore.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #59
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

dont know if you are going to loose your licence or not. but it would be better off that you rang the rta and asked them about your situation mate. At least then you will know where you stand in the matter and dont have to worry about it anymore.

Last edited by geckoGT; 22-09-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Your little "tip" has been repeated too many times already.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #60
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Love how people have said to keep an eye on the time. Which time do you set your clocks etc etc by? The radio time round my neck of the woods is 5 minutes fast, compared to the mobile phone time.

Geez, just thought how to fix the time issue. Pull up at a speed camera and ask them what time it is. No chance of getting it wrong there then.

IMA, I do feel sorry for the OP and i do think it sucks.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Closed Thread