Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #31
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Stuff the trucking companies. Make them use new tyres. It won't dissadvantage any of them because they will all have to do it. They will just have to charge a fraction more to cover the difference.

Rail companies have to bend over backwards to meet all sorts of standards and then pay a fortune to get a path on the network.

Last edited by Citric GT; 10-06-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Citric GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #32
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Stuff the trucking companies. Make them use new tyres. It won't dissadvantage any of them because they will all have to do it. They will just have to charge a fraction more to cover the difference.

Rail companies have to bend over backwards to meet all sorts of standards and then pay a fortune to get a path on the network.
You have NO idea...let go of it and get a grip on reality!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #33
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
That is reality
Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
....As for costs, I work for a company with a fleet of 60 Primemovers and about 200 Trailers. We estimate that we save about $2000000 a year by using Retreads.
Now this is with a fleet of 60 trucks. Can you imagine how much the big companies would be paying like LinFox where they have heaps of trucks. Id say you wouldnt be complaining about retreads in comparison to the costs of new tyres passed onto the consumers.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #35
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Break down the costs to each individual job and it would be bugger all to pass on to the consumer. You should see the number of retreads left on the F3 every day. Its like an obstacle course some days!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #36
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

so we can see all the owner/drivers and smaller operators go outta business like every other industry....

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #37
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You lot have absolutley no f..nnn idea of what you are talking about...AP where are you when we need you..all those that think they have had bad time on their motorways...get out and get a real life..out in the outback where life in the fast lane is about 180/200 ks an hour.
Then tell me about your bullshit going down the Hume at 110 a truck/car shredded a tyre.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #38
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Nobody has to do 200km/h. You choose to at your own risk.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Truck tyres - at least the higher quality ones - are designed to be re-treaded/re-capped. The cornering forces on truck tyres you could say are relatively lower as most trucks don't hoon round corners. The more important feature is load carrying ability.

Passenger car tyres aren't designed to be re-treaded/re-capped and I think they should be banned as they perform much worse than a brand name passenger tyre that is priced fairly cheaply.

dunno about the cornering forces bit , 8 ton prime mover pulling 60 ton of trailers through a corner at 100ks
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster

what john said
Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #41
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't say i've EVER had a problem with tread lying on the road - it's all been well off to the side...
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 02:14 AM   #42
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:

Thats why it costs us 2o% more to send a road truck to W.a then it does a 48Ft curtain sided rail container.

You might also note that untill recently the rail was owned by the government. I think toll bought the rights to use the wa lines less than 12 months back. Since then prices have gone up 4o% and the service has dropped 80%, in summer the train ex perth to syd would be lucky to be on time 3 times out of every 1oo.

It has nothing to do with advantages against one or another it's pure business, customers ***** about the fuel levy they are being charged when fuel prices get out of hand imagine how they'd react to a tyre levy. How would you feel being charged 5-1o% more for every item you buy, we cart Jim Beam to toilet paper and everything in between. Tools and machine's, presses for holden (god dammit) parts for toyota you name it we cart it and this is a small family company that sends only 2o loads out a day.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 02:16 AM   #43
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

As for costs, I work for a company with a fleet of 60 Primemovers and about 200 Trailers. We estimate that we save about $2000000 a year by using Retreads.
Who do you work for mate.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep as if trucks dont pay the goverment enough in tax how much tax does howard get of a single 400 dollar tyre 40 buks x that by 34 for a b double, 800 litres of fuel per day (line haul truck)times 50 cents in every dollar , registration 5 grand+ a year for a b double prime mover, registration per axle on trailers, fee for mass management , im not an accountant but i think the tyre levy is well and truly paid up, not forgeting bullshit revenue from log books fines ETC.........
Old 11-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #45
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Who do you work for mate.
Cement Australia, ( used to be called Pozzolanic Bulk Carriers before Amalgamation)
Cheers,
Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #46
5LMonty
FORD = First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
I can't say i've EVER had a problem with tread lying on the road - it's all been well off to the side...
I was of the same opinion as yourself until i had to witness 'how' they actually get to the side of the road first hand! Was following a TNT truck on the highway travelling about 105km/hr when his re-tread came off and flew towards my car. This thing didnt just tear off and fall to the side of the road, it got flicked up by the rear wheels and hit the front quarter panel of my XR6 without touching the ground!!! Pretty scary when you can do nothing but stear dead straight and hope for the best. Safe to say im not a fan of TNT truck Company anymore.
5LMonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #47
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Fine, but one rule for everyone. No retreads or anything like that on cars as well.

As for rail, your airliner that you fly on any day of the week uses retreads/recaps or whatever you wanna call them so should we ban those as well?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a cleanskin on my old xc delaminate on steer 1 metre of steel belt whipping around under the gaurd, i happened to be overtaking at the time, destroyed the gaurd, wiring, supports etc, it gave little indication, very hairy, the bloke i was overtaking shit more than me i think, the tread still had plenty of meat on it before it let go.