Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Spurious

Default Quitting Smoking. So far, so good.

I thought because I'm winning, I might start a thread on the subject, & maybe...just maybe, it'll give othesr the motivation to give it a go.

I started when I was about 15, I'm now 38.

Over the last 6 odd years I've changed my habits, stopped smoking in the house, the car, would leave my cigs at home when I go to mow a few lawns, wouldn't spark up whilst waiting to get my son from school etc.

Last year I stopped without aid for 5 days, but boredom got the better of me.

19 days ago I went to the docs' with a chest infection, we both agreed now was a good time to kick it. In the past we'd had brief discussions about it but mentally I wasn't ready.

This time was different. With the chest bug that I had, I didn't want to smoke anyway & I think by changing to rolly tobacco & changing my lifestyle habits over the last few years, my cravings were already minimal.

Plus I had the knowledge in the back of my mind that my grandfather (a smoker from age 11) died at 76 from emphysema & multiple heart attacks & I had also lost an Aunt years ago from cancer. Plus a few of my relatives have kicked the habit. So I decided it was my turn 'cause I don't wanna go out whilst attached to an oxygen machine!

So my doc' gave me a prescription for 21mg nicotine patches.
Got the script filled (the pharmacist was delighted to read what was on the script), & as soon as I got home I grabbed everything tobacco related & threw it in the bin. It was bin night too so there was no going back.
Well, there was, but I would have to make a conscious decision to drive to a shop & buy more.

Now here I am, 19 days later & not one smoke.

To be honest it's been a little up & down but generally easy to cope with.
The very first patch I used made me nauseous but I kept it on 'til bed time (docs recommendations).
The next morning I used half a patch but I got a few cravings, so the 3'rd day I used 3/4 & then after that I used a full one. No nausea.
Been using a full patch every day since the 28'th of Feb'.

I am feeling much better, not eating more than normal, which I'm happy about, the occasional craving after a meal but If I ignore it, it's gone in a few minutes.
I have to say though that I cannot stand the smell of a cigarette right now, it's been this way since about the 3'rd or 4'th day of using the patches. I find myself giving a wide berth to people smoking on the street, & even the odour on smokers whilst I'm shopping is almost unbearable.
I am also finding that there's been a constant supply of crap coming from my lungs, but my stepdad, who quit some 30 years ago, said he went through the same thing.

I am certainly not going to discriminate against a smoker, for obvious reasons, but I think having the nicotine from the patch in my blood is having a very strong effect on me.

I can't see myself going back.

Being naive, I told myself for years that so long as I don't get cancer I'll be golden, but emphysema is my biggest concern now.

Some personal stats:

22 years of smoking roughly 15 per day = est' 100,000 cigarettes.
Around $20,000 spent on smokes.

Makes you think 'eh, it did me!

SOooooooo, how did you quit?

Do you want to quit?...& what have you tried?

How fit are you & how long do you think you'll live with / without cigarettes?

Me, I can run a 100m race but would recommend having a paramedic waiting for me at the finish line.
Hopefully this will change now & for the better. I hope to see in my late 70's maybe my 80's.

Last edited by Spurious; 15-03-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post