Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I'm not sure where you got that info from.... all laws and policies are available to the public, but I haven't seen a vow of secrecy in legislation related to police...

I'm sure I can talk to anyone I want to about my job, my boss doesn't give a damn.
Solicitors, Drs, politicians are just a few professions that have restrictions on what they can and cant talk about to third parties in relation to their job.

The speed tolerance is not information available to the public (they dont want people using it), and the Qld state government has said as much. There are many laws, let alone regulations and practices not available to the public, one easy example being some of those dealing with issues of national security, or do you think there are no secrets? A general law may be publicly known, but its exact detail is not or at least is sketchy due to detail being restricted to internal documents.

Are the Police gagged? Dont know, but if government wants it kept under wraps (they do), they probably thought about how to achieve that with those that need to know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXhUteMan
Width? height perhaps.
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo webpage
Aspect Ratio / Profile or Series: Section height divided by section width multiplied by 100 (expressed as a percentage).

http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info17.html
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Man what ever drugs you are on, you can keep em. I dont give a toss if u dont agree with what I said, what I have said in my posts above are my direct experiances, unlike others, I wont randomly speculate about what happens to other people, just what has happened to me in the near on 20 years I have been driving.

FACT.....I have never been booked for any speed less than 10% over the limit, anywhere, anytime.

FACT.....Every time I have been booked has been for 15 plus and over, as shown above.

This is the last I will say about this, you can either agree or not.
Well, Ive been driving longer than you and have done so with 3 licence classes, car, bike and HC, means nothing.

Fact: Ive never seen a tiger in the wild, clearly they dont exist. Oh yeah, theres great logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Factory speedos were never allowed to be inaccurate at all, high or low, they just were due to technology of the times and owner modifications, and quite a lot because of poor designs or workmanship.
What? Do you know what an ADR is? Do you think vehicles are built without regulations from government? Speedos are no different, and are covered in an ADR. That ADR does specify the limits of inaccuracy allowable.
Old 13-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
In standard form, your speedo (unless its a much older car) will read higher than actual speed (in other words cant lead to a fine). Speedo may read 100 when actual speed is 96 (to the police youre doing 96, not 100), but will not read say 100 when youre actually doing 104, all speedos must read accurately or higher they are not permitted to read lower than actual speed. The only time newer cars speedos give lower readings than actual (in danger of being fined due to speedo innacuracy) is when you mess with ratios (tyre sizes (remember tyre width effects profiles and profile is where the ratio is), diff etc all can effect speedo readings) and that puts the problem squarely on you, you cant blame the speedo.

They do not allow 10% in Qld, the tolerance is unknown and varies with the set speed limit and anyone who tells you its 10% is guessing. There is a tolerance buts its minimal.

If your car is within the ratios, and as you saw no flash, you werent going too fast.
Is there a fine if your speedo reads lower than your actual speed? because mine reads about 58 when I'm doing 100.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #34
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria
if you didn't see a flash wtf are you worrying about?
Most of the cameras down here don't flash, I think they use infrared technology now.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #35
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
And you know it is 10% how exactly?

The Qld government has refused to specify publicly any tolerance.
i got done the other day. 82 on the radar gun. and 82 on th e speeding fine .in this case it is 0 tolorence(qld) the copper was a flogger. in any other case when i,ve been done. they have always dropped a couple of k,s off. to put you in the lower bracket.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #36
fmc351
let it burn

For those interested, a Sth Australian minister blew the secrecy of the Victorian tolerance by announcing that it was 6km/h in Victoria not the alleged 3km/h all the pessimists keep harping on about. Its also been revealed Victorias was not 10% prior to the new tolerance, it was 9km/h before being lowered to 6km/h. It was a strange event as he did so in explaining the reasons for keeping the SA tolerance a secret.

Oh and state ministers do communicate with each other, they do discuss issues and methods of dealing with them too, so its likely he is privy to that information.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...68-910,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Is there a fine if your speedo reads lower than your actual speed? because mine reads about 58 when I'm doing 100.
Id suggest the vehicle is unroadworthy then, that will be the legal stance. The ADR's apply to new cars from the factory, you just need to keep it within manufacturer specs or within the states modification restrictions.

There are ways to correct the speedo error. If youre talking the Cortina, IIRC the TE's speedo is not electronic, so its a matter of finding out what cog size you need and getting one, or having it made, youll probably find there is a Falcon cog that should do the job. Its up to you. most police wouldnt know its out, unless you used that as an excuse when pulled over. Or a car-smart cop who spots the 5 speed and knows Cortinas.
Old 13-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #37
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strik9
i got done the other day. 82 on the radar gun. and 82 on th e speeding fine .in this case it is 0 tolorence(qld) the copper was a flogger. in any other case when i,ve been done. they have always dropped a couple of k,s off. to put you in the lower bracket.
Lower bracket = zero tolerance? 1f thats 82 in a 60 zone, thats just the issuing of an appropriate fine for the offence. You did say lower bracket. Some police may drop the number down as a favour or out of kindness, but they dont have too, and it should never be expected.

If youre saying 82 in an 80 zone, well there is no lower bracket, theres only let you off.
Old 13-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #38
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Solicitors, Drs, politicians are just a few professions that have restrictions on what they can and cant talk about to third parties in relation to their job.

The speed tolerance is not information available to the public (they dont want people using it), and the Qld state government has said as much. There are many laws, let alone regulations and practices not available to the public, one easy example being some of those dealing with issues of national security, or do you think there are no secrets? A general law may be publicly known, but its exact detail is not or at least is sketchy due to detail being restricted to internal documents.

Are the Police gagged? Dont know, but if government wants it kept under wraps (they do), they probably thought about how to achieve that with those that need to know it.

Really?
I don't know if police officers are gagged - however there's nothing tied around my mouth at the moment. You did state that police officers were bound not to certain information, even to family, but I'm able to sit and talk about my work with friends and family.

And I don't think Doctors and lawyers have much to do with the practicalities of whether a car will attract a ticket when traveling a couple of k's over the limit.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #39
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I don't know if police officers are gagged - however there's nothing tied around my mouth at the moment. You did state that police officers were bound not to certain information, even to family, but I'm able to sit and talk about my work with friends and family.
Something you'd like to tell us? Ill take a PM if you prefer.

If a government wants to keep the tolerance details secret, how would they achieve that? HWP at least would need to be aware of the detail in order to apply it and likely given the nature of any workplace, colleagues would also know. Everyone pretty much knows, the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, or by motivations (misconduct hearings etc) that outweigh the release. Governments can be stupid, but not that stupid. (im aware many people have integrity and ethics, but there are mechanisms in place that attempt to ensure that integrity, just in case)

I imagine when you signed on the dotted line, there were all sorts of conditions held in there that would cover such situations. Hearings for professional misconduct are also on the cards for Police breaching policies. I know of several situations where Police are under strict confidentiality agreements, such as cases before various states integrity commissions.

If youre in that field, and arent bound to keep the information to yourself, Id like to hear you are privy to it, and not bound even if not the detail of any tolerance.
Old 13-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #40
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

in victoria speed cameras give a 3km/h discrepancy under 100km/h. Once you exceed 100 it becomes 3%. This is only given because the radar guns are not 100% accurate and to be fair the police have to have this buffer zone. This may be different in other states.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #41
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Something you'd like to tell us? Ill take a PM if you prefer.
Nothing to tell here

FMC351
If a government wants to keep the tolerance details secret, how would they achieve that? HWP at least would need to be aware of the detail in order to apply it and likely given the nature of any workplace, colleagues would also know. Everyone pretty much knows, the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, or by motivations (misconduct hearings etc) that outweigh the release. Governments can be stupid, but not that stupid. (im aware many people have integrity and ethics, but there are mechanisms in place that attempt to ensure that integrity, just in case)

The tolerance is set by the officer performing the duty; he doesn’t have a direct line to the government, he’s making the decision on the spot. The government does exert pressure after parliament meetings (usually Friday afternoon), and then the District Officers might pass down directives for ‘quick fixes’. It doesn’t affect general practices, which have been well thought out during implantation.

Detecting speed is always going to be a difficult field, because there are so many ways to fight it in court.

FMC351
I imagine when you signed on the dotted line, there were all sorts of conditions held in there that would cover such situations. Hearings for professional misconduct are also on the cards for Police breaching policies. I know of several situations where Police are under strict confidentiality agreements, such as cases before various states integrity commissions.

When I signed that dotted line (in front of Jo Bjelke Petersen), it was for preserving life, property, protecting from injury etc etc …. not for withholding the tolerance for speeding from the public.

I’ve been involved with a few misconduct hearings… (not as a subject) but haven’t seen confidentiality agreements. Though if an undercover officer was involved, then confidentiality agreements would be involved.

FMC351
If youre in that field, and arent bound to keep the information to yourself, Id like to hear you are privy to it, and not bound even if not the detail of any tolerance.
I’ve worked in the traffic field, even though it was in the early ‘90’s, and had the power of discretion. Mostly the driver got off with a warning, though people with attitude copped a fine.

I moved on to a more challenging and interesting field since then, so I have little interest in traffic infringements.
Old 13-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #42
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

And, on topic... Deathlucky... I'm sure you won't be getting a ticket.
Old 13-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #43
jeremyevans

don't quite know how they calibrate their cameras in your country but in the uk, they allow 5% above the limit. and if you feel that you may have been speeding you can go back and ask them as to whether you've been zapped or not. or they give you a phone number you can call to see if you have.

the craziest thing over here is they're disguising the cameras and the most recent one is that they hide in a horsebox (how stupid is that). next we'll have the local plod disguising themselves as pant horses in the field.
jeremyevans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #44
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Lower bracket = zero tolerance? 1f thats 82 in a 60 zone, thats just the issuing of an appropriate fine for the offence. You did say lower bracket. Some police may drop the number down as a favour or out of kindness, but they dont have too, and it should never be expected.

If youre saying 82 in an 80 zone, well there is no lower bracket, theres only let you off.
yep 82 in a 60. i was rushing to have a shower after work to make an appointment with a surgen, i waited two weeks to see, know excuse to speed. i usaully sit on 70 with all the other cars. now tell what a bad person i am. glad i didn,t have the f6 lol
Old 14-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #45
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

FMC

Ive always wondered what your area of expertise is?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #46
strik9
aka fpv747

and you think you found it now. heheheh
Old 14-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #47
gozza

i can't believe this thread even exists -

much mental retardations?

Also i know this is another one of those "i spoke to blah blah blah" and "blah blah blah said"

but in High school years ago we had on site police officers . I was concerned about the direction of a speed camera and the tolerance issue came up - I was told its not 10% but 11 k's on all speed limits

This was at least 5 years ago - and who knows if the officer had correct information - better than hearsay from friends though
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #48
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Quote:
RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT
Isn't there a forum somewhere specifically for angry ants who think they're intelligent????
There must be, there are forums for everything else.
(Woops, now I'll be accused of flawed logic)
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #49
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

Swannys post seems to be the most logical.

Down to the discretion of the officer sounds more likely.

AUII Forte: 18 Inch Tickford Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Kicker Speakers, Lowered, Tinted Windows.

R.I.P.

Current: 2004 BA Silk Falcon Futura

Mods:
Tinted Windows
Wheels: RJR 18" Tremors.
Sound: Soon: JVC DV7205 DVD Head Unit, Blaupunkt 480W RMS 4Ch Amp x 2, Polk Momo 6.5" Splits, Polk Momo 6"x9", Pheonix Gold 1500W Mono Block Amp, Earthquake SubZero Subwoofer

rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #50
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
FMC

Ive always wondered what your area of expertise is?
giving us all a headache ?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post