Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Mondeo vs Sportswagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Holden sells about 12,000 V8 vehicles a year, it's a very lucrative option for them but
considering nearly a million cars are sold each year, 12000 isn't very many. performance cars make up a very small percentage, and esp when it comes to wagon buyers. performance isn't going to be high on the list for many buyers.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'm amused that people still think performance and handling are big sellers. yes i guess they are, but they don't need to be anywhere near the level that people on here seem to have a fixation with. have a look at the bulk of the cars that are selling like hot cakes. corolla, mazda3, suv's, 4wd's, camry, etc etc.

many are 4cyl and front wheel drive. it isn't an issue with 90% of the buying public.

so many times when a car is reviewed on AFF it is useless if it doesn't go like stink or handle like a race car. seriously, step out in the real world.

This ^^^

I couldn't agree more. All this obsession with 1/4 mile times, 0-60 etc etc is getting monotonous.

By some of the carryings on in this forum you'd swear everyone drives at 10/10ths everywhere they go.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Sportswagon is comprehensively outclassed by the Skoda Superb - far better build quality, Australian-built reliability is dodgy and the Skoda has huge front to rear space. It's diesel is more economical than the Holden, more torque and cheaper. Mondeo is a closer rival but doesn't match the Skoda's quality or huge seat space. Holden is slightly wider (if you need that). I think the Euros have it overall, the Holden is simply irrelevant since it (and now Ford) dropped a proper large station wagon and the Sportswagon can't match the other two. I can hardly think of a more pointless car. If they can't do it properly they shouldn't do it.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
considering nearly a million cars are sold each year, 12000 isn't very many.
It is to the company selling them, particularly when there's a healthy profit margin attached..
And by the way, it's a million vehicles across all segments, not just cars so any vehicle
selling over 4,000 units per month is very rare indeed..most are in the 1,000 to 2,500 zone.

Quote:
performance cars make up a very small percentage, and esp when it comes to wagon buyers. performance isn't going to be high on the list for many buyers.
Agree but in such a fragmented market, manufacturers have every right to pick niches
where they can get the best return and conversely, completely stupid to try and compete
with bargain basement Crossovers and station wagons from Asia...

It's like Territory, Frd might only be selling 1200-1300 but 80% of those are $45K-$60K vehicles.
That's not a bad return considering that SYII Territory were mostly $36,990 RWDs..

Last edited by jpd80; 02-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Mondeo vs Sportswagon

CONGRATULATIONS FORD ON A DESERVED WIN!

This is supposed to be a Ford forum and people are taking the opportunity to bag the Mondeo which is the superior car according to the NRMA.

When there is a comparison between and Ford and a Holden and the Ford wins, it must be wrong, if the Holden wins, it must be because the Holden is better...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #36
Chopped
as in chopped

"Wagons are finally becomming popular again in Australia."

Yes they are. I am seeing more mondeo wagons on the road.

(Bit of a strange review though)

I can't see the V8 option in the Mondeo !!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #37
Carby

I think the NRMA testers are a joke of late. I had a go at one of them for testing an LPG HSV and all they carried on about was fuel usage and the hand brake, and said there were many other cars of similar performance and better. I challenged that and all he could come up with was the XR6T - had no real problem with that (taking price into account) but that was all he had!!

For this test it says handling and ride -Ok Mondeo gets the ride part but for handling Zilch! Performance? Again economy goes with the dirty diesel but performance hmmmm, I know who wins that one!

The NRMA journal is best read for it's travel destinations, as far as car reviews go they are just metrosexual greenies now...........
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm
I agree I have one as well. Why would I want a front wheel drive European piece of ****. Yeah front wheel drive cars handle well. The mondeo has no style.
Yeah, the only thing RWD is good for is doing burnouts and being able to support a lot more torque without any issues, thats about the only two advantages a RWD car has over FWD.

Towing, I can't recall the last time I've seen a Falcon tow something other than a 6x4 trailer, which our Mazda 323 does fine. Everyone these days have diesel dual cabs, SUVs or 4X4s for towing duties out here.

FWD means you get more space in the car as theres no tail shaft, it also handles better in dodgy conditions like dirt roads/ice/snow because there is more weight over the driving and steering wheels, its also lighter and cheaper to do, so a cost saving there.

FWD also can handle like they're on rails, its all about the setup, take a look at a Honda Integta DC2R and Renault Megane/Clio cup, they're the benchmarks for handling and performance when it comes to FWD.

Hell, you can even slide a FWD car without use of a handbrake if you know how to induce lift-off oversteer.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
The Sportswagon is comprehensively outclassed by the Skoda Superb - far better build quality, Australian-built reliability is dodgy and the Skoda has huge front to rear space. It's diesel is more economical than the Holden, more torque and cheaper. Mondeo is a closer rival but doesn't match the Skoda's quality or huge seat space. Holden is slightly wider (if you need that). I think the Euros have it overall, the Holden is simply irrelevant since it (and now Ford) dropped a proper large station wagon and the Sportswagon can't match the other two. I can hardly think of a more pointless car. If they can't do it properly they shouldn't do it.
i dunno mate, to me the Skoda does`nt have the runs on the board, it has`nt been in any numbers compared to the locals, ok it may be presented well and have the edge in fit and finish, but i`m yet to see one on Australias proving ground (that is Australian roads) after a decade of abuse, being pretty does`nt make it good.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #40
stevz
Banned

IMO this article is extremely amateurish and poorly executed and it is obvious the author is some sort of anti-Aussie, pro-import snob that had it in for the sportwagon from the start.

Putting all brand bias aside, lets say the sportwagon also had a Ford badge on it. Now who here would still seriously choose the Mondeo?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
IMO this article is extremely amateurish and poorly executed and it is obvious the author is some sort of anti-Aussie, pro-import snob that had it in for the sportwagon from the start.

Putting all brand bias aside, lets say the sportwagon also had a Ford badge on it. Now who here would still seriously choose the Mondeo?
so what areas does the sv6 have it over the mondeo then?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #42
stevz
Banned

Quote:
so what areas does the sv6 have it over the mondeo then?
Looks, performance, RWD, looks, interior space, Aussie built, looks, did I mention looks?
I'm sorry, but in my opinion the Mondeo, especially in wagon form, is PIG ugly. And while the interior may have better fit and finish and use higher quality materials, its design is HORRID. Give me an Aussie designed Ford or Holden ANYDAY.
Performance wise, the 3.6 sidi would blow the mondeo away like no tomorrow, and as for the mondeo diesel using 6.2l/100km, yeah right, I'd love to see that achieved consistently in the real world.

This article completely writes off the sportwagon on the basis that the Mondeo is from Europe so it must be better, an attitude which I am thoroughly sick of.

Quote:
The Sportswagon is comprehensively outclassed by the Skoda Superb - far better build quality, blah, blah, blah
Yeah but only a gay latte sipper would actually buy a Skoda. I wouldn't be seen dead in one.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #43
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

rwd is only needed to stroke the ego of those living in the dark ages
aussie built only means something to those who do not like quality control
looks are subjective, but the sportshatch or what ever it is called
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #44
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
rwd is only needed to stroke the ego of those living in the dark ages
aussie built only means something to those who do not like quality control
looks are subjective, but the sportshatch or what ever it is called
disagree on all counts
Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Looks, performance, RWD, looks, interior space, Aussie built, looks, did I mention looks?
I'm sorry, but in my opinion the Mondeo, especially in wagon form, is PIG ugly. And while the interior may have better fit and finish and use higher quality materials, its design is HORRID. Give me an Aussie designed Ford or Holden ANYDAY.
Performance wise, the 3.6 sidi would blow the mondeo away like no tomorrow, and as for the mondeo diesel using 6.2l/100km, yeah right, I'd love to see that achieved consistently in the real world.
looks are subjective and i don't believe the article actually mentions any bias either way.

performance - sure, the sv6 is faster. not real important to 99% of car buyers!

rwd - please

interior space - the mondeo has a larger luggage area, which is what wagons are all about.

economy - i'd like to see the sportwagon consistently get 9.9 in the real world too.

seriously, your arguments against are based on looks and performance.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #46
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are Skodas like VW? as in unreliable and cost a fortune to fix, with gearbox issues, that cost more to replace than the whole car.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #47
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

This article is no surprise really.

After having a sisi SV6 hire car for a week there is no way I'd buy that over a Mondeo. The VE is easily the most over-rated car on the market.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #48
MelsGolf
Banned

My husband test drove both when we looked at cars last year, and while he prefers Rear wheel drive he said the Holden just had so many negatives, its really dated and agricultural compared to the Mondeo and had poor luggage use. Someone posted earlier about it not being about power and racing, that is so true, most consumers want comfort and appointments in this car segment, not a bathurst winner. Particularly as most buyers are just average mothers or sales people who have next to no interest in performance.
MelsGolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #49
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
i'm amused that people still think performance and handling are big sellers. yes i guess they are, but they don't need to be anywhere near the level that people on here seem to have a fixation with. have a look at the bulk of the cars that are selling like hot cakes. corolla, mazda3, suv's, 4wd's, camry, etc etc.

many are 4cyl and front wheel drive. it isn't an issue with 90% of the buying public.

so many times when a car is reviewed on AFF it is useless if it doesn't go like stink or handle like a race car. seriously, step out in the real world.
step out in the real world allright...and youll find that a dodgy aussie built comadore will still outsell a much better handling performing value packed good looker like the mondeo. Theres not much else ford can do...except build the best cars...as they do...i mean just recently they won all there classes didnt they.....and they still wont lead the sales charts...despite building the best cars in australia another tear.....again...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #50
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

This article completely writes off the sportwagon on the basis that the Mondeo is from Europe so it must be better, an attitude which I am thoroughly sick of.

\

Yeah but only a gay latte sipper would actually buy a Skoda. I wouldn't be seen dead in one.
and you sound like a complete biased aussie bogan thru n thru...be ashamed.pull your sad blinkers off. For starters you say youd rather any ford or holden design over the mondeo...what a crock...the locals look miles apart...the commie rather bulgy and puffed with the ford rather more sleak and euro. And as you mention performance...this is not a performance segment...so if it feels like its getting smooth refined power to the ground...then it is....doesnt mater if the commie can clunk there bigger stink rourt of a motor down the mile quicker....this segment is more about getting there......not to mention everyone has known the mondeo has had more rear room then the sportwagon since the get go. And i dont mind the sportwagons...but the mondeo is BY FARRRR THE BETTER PRDUCT IN THE DRIVE
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #51
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny though, when ford announced they were stopping the Falcon wagon most here said no way they would buy a Mondeo wagon, on principal, its foreign, girly, ford selling out its customer base..
Now its a great car?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #52
jjw