Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fly or drive to Perth?

The last two times I did Melbourne to Perth, shocks needed replacing each time. This was in the 80's and early 90's, though, on 70's model Falcons, and maybe the shocks were on the way out on both cars already, but it's worth considering that the trip can be quite hard on a car. Then again, maybe the quality of the roads have improved.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
JG34JA

Done it 13 times now (many for work) and these days fly with the family.
The best was working and surveying off the main road as we went - we camped out on the country east of Norseman (beautiful gums), the Roe plain, the Nullarbor then into West Coast SA. Wildlife was either in great abundance (when dry) or nowhere to be seen (when wetter). Bush turkeys, roo's, camels, stony devils, eagles, goats, hawks, whales etc etc - playing animal spotto was fun and broke up what is essentially a long drive... Sometimes you hear the dingos howling as night falls in your tent/van and that's a lonely sound. If you have a 4wd I recommend the Eyre Bird Observatory, the drive in is sandy and fun, the people you meet are great and we got ourselves lost in Station country coming home past the Telegraph station ruins which was an adventure in itself. The coast and cliffscapes near the Eucla/SA border are breathtaking. The views at each end of the Roe Plain (Eucla and Madura) are really inspiring - seeing 50 whales at the head of the bight is an experience. Surprisingly, we've never really done it and suffered really hot weather, always managing to go across with colder spells and rain, even in summertime.

For kids, the freedom is quite amazing - our eldest learned to ride a bike on the limestone tracks leading off the road to the towers. Something we haven't done is the caving that is possible around Norseman and further in toward Cocklebiddy; nor have we fished shark off the knee deep beachbreaks of the bight (which I've seen on TV fishing shows)!. I've never bothered to surf it going over, I feel alone enough on the WA south coast and the 5m White Pointer in the Streaky Bay petrol station is enough for pause for thought!

If it's going the whole way you will see the stark, big country west of Port Augusta, the rolling hills up the top of the Eyre Peninsula where farmland dots the bush, Ceduna with its great seafood; I'd also recommend dishing off to Esperance on the way through to Perth and doing their Great Ocean drive - beautiful water colours and beaches.

All in all I reckon it's a real 'undiscovered' tourist gem. So many people gun it or just fly over. I imagine camping and touring in Australia before my time was a lot more like what this area is today, and it is such a long drive you might get to ponder a bit about why our continent is the way it is today - landforms, plants, animals.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Fly or drive to Perth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
The last two times I did Melbourne to Perth, shocks needed replacing each time. This was in the 80's and early 90's, though, on 70's model Falcons, and maybe the shocks were on the way out on both cars already, but it's worth considering that the trip can be quite hard on a car. Then again, maybe the quality of the roads have improved.
So my old man WAS an adventurer?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 26-01-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Correction
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JG34JA ....beautifully written, thank you for that, poetic almost, not a journalist?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
JG34JA

Cheers Ryeman, no not a journo, History grad, so I can write. Fat lot of good it did me employment wise when graduating in 1990s recession.... but I digress!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA View Post
Cheers Ryeman, no not a journo, History grad, so I can write. Fat lot of good it did me employment wise when graduating in 1990s recession.... but I digress!
Oh dear, I don't think you belong here...nowhere near irrational enough....

What line of work does a history grad get?

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #37
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

If everything pans out, and that is a big if, I'll be freighting my ltd to Adelaide and then driving it back this Xmas. We will be taking 3 weeks for the trip (1 week in Adelaide visiting family and then 2 weeks to drive).

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB View Post
If everything pans out, and that is a big if, I'll be freighting my ltd to Adelaide and then driving it back this Xmas. We will be taking 3 weeks for the trip (1 week in Adelaide visiting family and then 2 weeks to drive).
What would sandgropers think of as the great Aussie road trip, or are they sick of the long straight roads

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
So my old man WAS an adventurer?
Nah, it wasn't that bad. My old man went across in the days when it wasn't sealed all the way. He also managed to do it in a car that did a gearbox. Only halfway though, because he backed a 20/1 winner in a TAB somewhere in SA, so he was able to get the gearbox fixed.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #40
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Focus...FWD burnouts! How dare you...

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 26-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #41
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I've only been over here 5 years, but its a bit different to the eastern states, a trip to Albany or kalgoorlie isn't treated as the same distance as over east (5hrs and 7hrs). I grew up in Melbourne, and Adelaide is only 7 hrs away. Broome is over 2200kms away from Perth and Melbourne to Brisbane is only 1600kms.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #42
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
What would sandgropers think of as the great Aussie road trip, or are they sick of the long straight roads
Any road can be a road trip. Straight roads are fine. The way it works is, you drive fast enough that the corners come up at the same frequency as a normal road. Or so slow you can pretend you arent even on a road.
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post