Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #31
mattrobbo26

Default Re: Mine spec Ranger XL PLUS released

Its just rrp over 50 grand. You don't actually pay that. I picked my xl ranger up with 53km on the clock for 35,000 drive away.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #32
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Geez...and people say Toyota Hiluxes are expensive...unless you are willing to go poverty pack, you're paying a huge premium for anything decent. No wonder there's so many Tritons around when you can get one with plenty of options fitted for way less than $40,000...a similar level in a Ranger is over fifty grand...
Tritons are getting on a bit that's why they are cheap. You can get 4x4 dual cab Tritons for 28k now. That's almost too good to turn down if you are in the market for a work ute.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic302ef View Post
Thought they would of chucked in the role bar inside the cab as well but guess its not only being aimed at mine site purchase but the general tradies and civil construction.

Bring out the raptor
They don't need rops due to having a 5 star rating, we got 1 auto, 1 manual at work, both have had springs replaced as they sagged and collapsed after a short while, constant flat batteries and constant drive train warning lights on both the auto and manual, we need utes cos of the **** we carry round but need to carry 5 so a dual cab cruiser ute would be double the price or more of a dual cab hilux or ranger
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Some mines are running LHD Dodge RAMs according to Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler, do they need to be used outside the mine on the road?

Might be worth bringing something like F350/3500HD over, leave it LHD.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #35
Nic302ef
Cocoloko

with the amount of billions of dollars the big three have made over the last year you think price of a quality vehicle wouldnt be an issue.

its time aus industry developed its own specific ute, and brand even. a 7 seater dual cab with a 4 row rear seat, 3 front, and a nice tray thank you,

We had a stupid amount of tritions (wylie&skene vdm) and they have nothing but issues after 50thou k's, more related to turbo and carbon build up, and strangly enough it didnt matter if they where up north or local in perth.

The navara has been a but of an un-sung hero, i had the d40 work ute for awhile and didnt have any issues, however that was around town for civil.

2010 Territory: family bus.

79 P7 LTD 351.
Nic302ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #36
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
they are still too low.. i work at Rio tinto and we have them on alot of our sites (not these new mine spec ones) and they dont have a good wrap
biggest thing is they are too low to the ground .. they were putting 17" tyres, bash plates (which i see ford have fitted to these) on and 2 inch lift kits etc just to drive around in the pit
**** to tow the lighting plants around, just not powerful enough
already had a few with stuffed motors and gearboxes

"just not powerful enough" Yep 4kw makes a huge difference, mind you the 40nm deficit in torque in the toyota won't make any difference
in saying that I do believe the 70 series to be an excellent mine vehicle, they're old school tough but agricultural.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #37
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic302ef View Post
with the amount of billions of dollars the big three have made over the last year you think price of a quality vehicle wouldnt be an issue.

its time aus industry developed its own specific ute, and brand even. a 7 seater dual cab with a 4 row rear seat, 3 front, and a nice tray thank you,
We have one of these at work too, an Isuzu 3 ton 4x4 crew cab, all decked out in mine spec with a kevrek crane it's worth the same as a few hilux dual cabs
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Geez...and people say Toyota Hiluxes are expensive...unless you are willing to go poverty pack, you're paying a huge premium for anything decent. No wonder there's so many Tritons around when you can get one with plenty of options fitted for way less than $40,000...a similar level in a Ranger is over fifty grand...
Only because the Triton is an ancient, out dated nail, and Mitsubishi can only sell the thing on price.

Wait till the new Triton goes on sale in a year or 2 and then compare rrp.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #39
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
The v8 cruisers aren't that flash either. 10 to 12 hours to change a starter motor is a bit of a joke and happens quite regular up here. Also the difference between the front and rear track width is crazy. But there is not much option in that class of solid axle 4wd until nissan reporter the patrol.

Yeah agree. The v8's a great when they work, but the 78 was never engineered to take the 1VD-FTE. They work really well with the 1HZ-FTE, now that was probably the best cruiser made. Better low down torque than the v8 too.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #40
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
"just not powerful enough" Yep 4kw makes a huge difference, mind you the 40nm deficit in torque in the toyota won't make any difference
in saying that I do believe the 70 series to be an excellent mine vehicle, they're old school tough but agricultural.

i dont know which ranger they are using but they are gutless .. i will find out for ya ..the v8 70 series utes kick their butts
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

^ Might only be the 2.2L if it sucks, can't believe they used such a small engine in those, should only be 3.2L.
Old 20-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #42
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
i dont know which ranger they are using but they are gutless .. i will find out for ya ..the v8 70 series utes kick their butts
Are you sure it is a current model if they are that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
^ Might only be the 2.2L if it sucks, can't believe they used such a small engine in those, should only be 3.2L.
Have you driven one? They aren't that bad. I am sure it would be no worse than that 4T brick you had.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has to be the 2.2 he is talking about concidering the 3.2 has more torque than the V8 79 series LC.
LC had more power but surely they are not much different overall.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #44
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.2 doesnt go any worse than a Hilux/Triton/Navara/DMax.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #45
dragons90

2.2 auto is a gutless pos.
dragons90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #46
wranger

The 2.2 is still quicker than everything besides its big brother and the V6 Navara.

Doesn't tow well though apparently.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #47
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
Its just rrp over 50 grand. You don't actually pay that. I picked my xl ranger up with 53km on the clock for 35,000 drive away.
Yours is probably 2.2Litre, Manual basic XL which the mine vehicle is 3.2Litre, Auto with extras......bit of a difference would you not say.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #48
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finished a shift underground the other day and scored a lift in a contractors ranger 2.2 manual steel tray etc, from 1500m below sea level to about 800above in 15min,

My thoughts,
Suspension was harsh and not as soft as the cruiser (hard rock mine)
Wouldn't take off as easy in gears as a cruiser run about 5to1 incline

Driver said hasn't had much trouble with it though and has 70k on the clock

Can't beat the cruisers though, the body's fall to bit from being bashed and abused but there's a fair few v8 ones kicking about now with 150-200k on the clocks and still sound tight as a drum.

I'm not sure whether fords dicing with death on the rangers a little, they are pushing hard to flog them into fleets, and not with a full industry backing like Toyota does, I know the company's where I'm working don't want anything besides Toyota cause it not viable for them to carry parts for 2-3 different brand vehicles and they know Toyota has a reliable part supply.

I fear the resale on rangers may become pretty poor once all the fleet hacks start flooding the market. Good for second hand buyers though.

Engine bay fire suppression, rop head board steel trays, external isolators, bull bar would have all added before it's any good for underground use,

Also pretty sure the mine I work at wouldn't take it because it's auto.... Because of the runaway vehicle risk, restricted to 30km/h, 3rd gear low or 3,000rpm whichever occurs first

Last edited by deadfish2; 20-04-2014 at 02:34 PM.
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #49
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Double post.
Old 20-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #50
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranger View Post
The 2.2 is still quicker than everything besides its big brother and the V6 Navara.

Doesn't tow well though apparently.
The 2.2 can tow more than the 3.5T they are legally allowed to without too much trouble. They are just a little leisurely once you get up to that sort of weight.

Did anyone question the towing ability of the old model 3L Rangers? The 2.2 has more torque than them.
Old 21-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #51
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Doesn't really matter which ute they use....none will last forever doing that tough of a job. It's about getting the best bang for your buck ute that they can still sell at the end. Ranger performing even close to double the price v8 cruisers says a lot I think.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #52
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i think we are changing to pos Colorado, the ranger is just being let down by the crap electrical under it , drive through mud and it stops , as said before . Lights on dash always on which stops four wheel drive , locks up gearboxs , fails to start , shutdown whilst driving at speed , locked in 3rd , flat battery from wiring fault keeping the thing " awake " sees em dead .we have issues with all but this has every Ute we got stopping or dying completely weekly .. they now are coping abuse as a bucket of junk , too low also without the bigger wheel s ...it's a real pity as my personal xlt is a cracker , will tow a cruiser backwards.. tows my 3+ tonne boat in top gear everywhere , they need to upgrade that wiring and recall it
Old 21-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #53
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

You boneheads are just rough on the gear ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #54
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragons90 View Post
I believe BHP has banned ROPS cause the extra weight raises the center of gravity making the vehicle more likely to roll and vehicles are designed to crush to adsorb G's and make the crash more survivable.
by January 2016 our BMA (BHP MItsubishi Alliance) site will be totally 5 star rating to comply. i believe the rops will be removed due to manufacturing issues with the vehicle chassis. i haven't heard about the centre of gravity issue.
our site is going for Colorado's with auto boxes. it seems the old Hilux clutches were a bit fragile
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #55
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Colorado are a pile of junk also ...but Holden lovers out number us ..yes us boneheads are rough ,but these things are not abuse related , the caving in sumps bent tail shafts and broken suspension... well that's different story at least you can still drive em with broken spring s ..��
Old 21-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #56
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't think the Colorado's were chosen because of Holden lovers, more likely cheaper than other 5 star ancap twin cabs.
we went backwards when the 75 series Cruisers got canned because they didn't have a steering wheel bag.

which site are you at vanman?
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #57
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Peak , yer cheaper for sure ....I know the cruiser / patrols are the car for the job simplicity is king , there really isn't much good about this style of car with so many electrical gizmos, like having to turn traction control off because they simply won't move on a wet or loose surface. brakes DON'T work at all in any of them on wet surfaces .. stability control kicks in and you nearly roll when changing between surfaces .. are these things really making a car safer ? The built-in strength and crumple zones maybe ...but the rest is junk .
Old 21-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #58
84dau

I love our new work vehicle...... said no employee ever haha

Previous rides
84DXC 78 Falcon 500 XC 302 collum shift auto
03 XR6T manual blue print
84DAU 99 AU falcon ute
86 XF falcon 4.0L
84dau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Are you sure it is a current model if they are that bad?

Have you driven one? They aren't that bad. I am sure it would be no worse than that 4T brick you had.
That 4 tonne brick I had had 600NM and 4.30 diff gears and would pull a 5th wheeler unlike your Tonka truck.
Old 21-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #60
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
they are still too low.. i work at Rio tinto and we have them on alot of our sites (not these new mine spec ones) and they dont have a good wrap
biggest thing is they are too low to the ground .. they were putting 17" tyres, bash plates (which i see ford have fitted to these) on and 2 inch lift kits etc just to drive around in the pit
**** to tow the lighting plants around, just not powerful enough
already had a few with stuffed motors and gearboxes
All the maintainers here at light vehicles can't stand them haha

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post