Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
would you prefer decor plates like the states?

I only complained about the slogans.

I dont want the rainbow.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #32
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
... maybe they can start again at GAA-000. I'm sure VicRoads could very quickly establish which plates are still in use from 1958 or so. They could simply re-do plates that are no longer recorded as in use.

I'd rather stick with 6 characters, 7 just doesn't look right.
Personally I'm hoping that's what they do. However the early GAA-001 >> LZZ-000 plates were black and are now available to order at a very inflated price (for owners of cars built in the 60's and 70's who want it to be TOTALLY original). On vicplates.com.au you can order ANY 3letter-3number combination that has been unused for at least 12 months. There's no reason they won't want em' getting back out on the road, except the production pain of having to skip particular combos still in use.. time will tell I guess

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an add on TV at the moment, I'm not sure which one it is, but i seen a Vic plate with we3 338. or something like that.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #34
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Victoria- How Much More?

Don't like those yank/jap plate sizes myself. Euro plates as Aussies call them are ISO size, btw.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
mr ghia

I think at one stage the first two letters of a WA six-digit plate were an abbreviation of the area where the car was registered e.g. Geraldton could have been GN or something. Police probably found that useful.
Worst Australian plate slogan? NSW's pretentious "THE PREMIER STATE". Created so much laughter that it was changed to "THE FIRST STATE" but then it was pointed out it should be "THE FIRST COLONY" as all the states were formed at once with Federation in 1901 ...
mr ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #36
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria - The Speeding State
Victoria - On The Camera
Victoria - The Place To Speed
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #37
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old W.A. plates had "WA - The State of Excitement" - I thought the person who came up with that was sarcastic, while it's a gorgeous state, "excitement" is not really the word that comes to mind when describing it. I have noticed their 7 digit plate is the same format as the California plates. 1ABC-123
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #38
yanknbank
Very regular

Quote:
I'm no mathemetitian... But if you work out from our current format of AAA-000 to ZZZ-999... there is a possible 17 MILLION combinations...
With any siix figure alpha/numeric combination you like, I make that number to be 2,176,782,336.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #39
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I was thinking that they may just do the whole AA-00-AA like NSW does now
Oh god, I hope not.....

A bit off topic - My late Father-In-Law carried the same plates across his last 3 cars. My eldest son has decided that's what he'll do. He's on his first car and it just had random general issue plates on it. He's had them redone in B&W and he intends carrying them over all of his cars from now on. I reckon it's a great idea, I may do the same thing!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #40
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Talking

they could even go with aa999a .... the possabilities are endless really... i reckon we will still have a 6 digit/letter combo either way. for our state motto get ready for
"victoria - cheeze "
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #41
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had some stickers made up a while ago that I put on my rego plates. Instead of "Victoria - The Place to Be", they now read "Victoria - Police State".

Been pulled up by coppers once - they couldn't do a damned thing about it because the plate was still perfectly readable.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

2010 plates start with BA
the next numbers area code not the rta office..ie northan table, hume, flinders.

Last edited by burnz; 09-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #43
hardlynormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Wouldn't be too different from where many people were getting future general issue plates allocated to them. Example: XFG plates on the early FG mules at a time when 'U' was the latest letter in use.
depends how far ahead they are printing plates, the plates may have been printed meaning that assigning them to a car isnt difficult.

printing plates not in a logical order (which would be the case if you had to skip certain combo's) would more then likely require change to current procedures.

then again, tooling up for 7 letter plates would too :P
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank
With any siix figure alpha/numeric combination you like, I make that number to be 2,176,782,336.
Doing that starts getting into too many plates, and too many plates that are similar. Can you imagine trying to recall the rego of the car that just hit you and sped off? What about all those plates with 1's and I's - talk about confusing.

It was I1I11I
or was it I1II1I
or maybe 1II11I

Needs to keep groupings of numbers and letters together rather than randomizing numbers and letters together IMO.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
I had some stickers made up a while ago that I put on my rego plates. Instead of "Victoria - The Place to Be", they now read "Victoria - Police State".

Been pulled up by coppers once - they couldn't do a damned thing about it because the plate was still perfectly readable.
That is hilarious way to stick it to the man. i'm sure they'll find some by-law to punish you tho.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #46
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
That is hilarious way to stick it to the man. i'm sure they'll find some by-law to punish you tho.

Hehe, that's the beauty of it - if they pursue it or make a big deal about it, they simply prove my point.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #47
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Hehe, that's the beauty of it - if they pursue it or make a big deal about it, they simply prove my point.
Haha, nice work. What did they say though?

It's great when they can't get you on anything. Almost like a dog who misses out on getting a bone.

My plates just have a nice and simple 'VIC' - being custom.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #48
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a new slogan I would go for >>> Victoria Speed Cam State <<<<

I was last there in 2007. Driving from Melbourne to Canberra in my old BA Ghia via the Princess Highway and Snowy Mountains Highway. 10 to 20k's outside of Bairnsdale where the speed limit changed from 100 to 110 about 3 times I was pinged doing 113 by a cop in a patrol car going the other way. Little did I know it but I was also pinged at the almost exact same speed and spot by a hidden cam.

Copped the $212 fine from the cop on the spot but didn't know about the $212 camera fine until 2 weeks later when I was back in Brissy. Was I spewing!

Won't be going back to the joint in a hurry thats for sure.

Here's another slogan sugestion >>>> Victoria the Place to Avoid <<<<

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #49
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:

There was a version of this getting around Queensland a few years ago - you ordered the Indy-style personalised plates, which had "BRACE YOURSELF" written across the bottom. Then you got some red electrical rape and turned them in to "RACE YOU".

I think everyone who did that has lost their licence now.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Oh god, I hope not.....

A bit off topic - My late Father-In-Law carried the same plates across his last 3 cars. My eldest son has decided that's what he'll do. He's on his first car and it just had random general issue plates on it. He's had them redone in B&W and he intends carrying them over all of his cars from now on. I reckon it's a great idea, I may do the same thing!!
I did this myself.. mainly cos the combo I got from vic roads in 2002 for my XF was great to remember.. but also it's MY number now. I just had it as standard blue on white til I got the charcoal FG, now I got black ones. Only $70 to change the colour to suit your new car.. an economical way to be a little different rather than the $500 odd for a personalised plate

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #51
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
Many of the 'garden state' plates were defective in the mid 80's due to the makers of said plates ****ing in the paint. This was said to have caused the white background to turn black and flake off making this batch unreadable in many cases. And generally the slogan changes when government changes. eg: in the 90's with the Kennett government it was 'on the move', then when Labour got in, it was simply 'victoria' for a few months til they worked out their own slogan which turned out to be 'the place to be'. Liberal is back in now and I'd guarantee 100% the new Premier will not leave Steve Bracks's slogan out there and he'll wanna make 'his' little mark asap.
Continued into the 90's. My EA had one of those defective plates. Here's my original plate, along with the reissued replacement.

The front one eventually went bad too, but never got to the level of this one!

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #52
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Instead of >>Victoria Garden State<< ... Maybe they should have said ..

>>Victoria Better Homes & Garden State<<

Dunno why I came up with that one . . just came into my mind when I saw that plate lol ...

I still like my earlier suggestion better .. >>Victoria The Place to Avoid<< Lol
Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #53
dylancox

Quote:

Pics please . Is it an offence to cover up the whole 'Victoria - The Place To Be'?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #54
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Pics please . Is it an offence to cover up the whole 'Victoria - The Place To Be'?
I'll try to remember to get a pic on the weekend for you.

It's just a bit of white vinyl with the blue italic writing on it so it doesn't stand out, nice & subtle.

The coppers who pulled me over (was a number of years ago now) were plain clothes. They commented that they 'thought' it was illegal', so I challenged them to prove it, mentioned that in pulling me over on the Eastern Freeway for that was just puerile, and that they were proving my point.

They took my details of course, and that was the last I ever heard of it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #55
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, BTW, it's not an offence to obstruct the "Vic - Place to be" bit. It is an offence to alter or obscure the large alpha-numeric characters by either putting them under a bullbar, putting a rego sticker over them or putting them under the ductail (like some motorcyclists do), and they must be readable from 45 degrees in every direction from the front & rear of a car.

I think that's so the speed cameras can get them easily.

This was the case, at least, when I last checked three or four years ago.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #56
JG34JA

Default Shire Plates - Yes!

Growing up in WA, I always liked country WA plates, they told which shire you were from. A great idea, we used to play "guess the shire" when traveling thoughout the state. If you had family in different shires, you could "monopolise" the same number with different letters! If you had the number 1 plate in a shire, you had bragging rights!

GN - Geraldton
GN. - Gnowangerup (had to watch for the dots!)
BE - Beverley, my first XW 302 had these, Lord I miss it...
AK - Armadale - Kalamunda
MR - Margaret River
G. - Greenough
E. - Esperance
MW - Mullewa
MI - Mingenew

etc, etc

I'd love something like that in Victoria, it has so many shires and large rural towns (really close together, too!) It's amazing the rest of the country doesn't use these kind of plates.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #57
JG34JA

Default Garden State

...and, as it is raining in Victoria again, I'd love to see 'Victoria, Garden State' be reissued with green lettering on a white background. Seriously, it's trippy how green the place is compared to the WA wheatbelt...

I tried to get a reissue of the original 'Victoria Garden State' plate for the 1994 ED, and was told the closest they would do is it's original numbers on a plate that said only 'Victoria', green letting, white background. Pity.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #58
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Victoria - This space for rent"
They've sold everything else
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #59
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Growing up in WA, I always liked country WA plates, they told which shire you were from. A great idea, we used to play "guess the shire" when traveling thoughout the state. If you had family in different shires, you could "monopolise" the same number with different letters! If you had the number 1 plate in a shire, you had bragging rights!

GN - Geraldton
GN. - Gnowangerup (had to watch for the dots!)
BE - Beverley, my first XW 302 had these, Lord I miss it...
AK - Armadale - Kalamunda
MR - Margaret River
G. - Greenough
E. - Esperance
MW - Mullewa
MI - Mingenew

etc, etc

I'd love something like that in Victoria, it has so many shires and large rural towns (really close together, too!) It's amazing the rest of the country doesn't use these kind of plates.
Not to mention if other drivers are aware, they can understand the driving habit, like looking for a number or street etc.

Police can know you may be unfamiliar with an area and cut a bit of slack.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #60
SVD179
Starter Motor

I know they wont issue Z series plates because they're for Commonwealth vehicles. The word on the street is something similar to the NSW ones, ie LL22LL.
SVD179 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post