Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Ok, you still don't need to thank me then. How about 1st home owners grant?
Didnt get it as my property is Investment. Had to pay full stamp duty aswell. _2:

Next thing you wanna try and me over on?
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #32
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Didnt get it as my property is Investment. Had to pay full stamp duty aswell. _2:

So you're renting then?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #33
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:

OK, where did the money come from to build the uni that you go to????
Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #34
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh yeh, the cost of living goes up big deal, work harder and make more money is my moto..

Flame suit on, but im a true believer in the fact that you get what you put in, if your not earning enough income to live comfortibly then either gain a new skill and further your education so you are worth more money, or get another job that pays better.

We can all whinge forever about the cost of petrol and every other cost as they go up, but they will never come back down, its called inflation, live with it.

What about families who already have both partners working Full Time and are strugling by the time they feed their family and pay school fees and a mortgage etc and have no time to go and learn the new skill that you say? Soon as they cut down on their current jobs, well the bills dont cut down for them. Even if they did or could make time it may or may not land them a better job or better wage; no guarentee. If it did would we be all Doctors and anyone but should starve? Or should they go and move closer to work like you say and pay sales fees, stamp duty furniture removal costs and bridging finance and end up another 20 grand down the toilet?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes

I board at home..
Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #36
Scott

Yep, single life living at home can be real tough sometimes.

Oh, forgot, your Uni eductaion is subsidised regardless of HECS/HELP (assuming you are Aust resident).

Edit - I chipped in for your Primary & High School educationn too.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
What about families who already have both partners working Full Time and are strugling by the time they feed their family and pay school fees and a mortgage etc and have no time to go and learn the new skill that you say? Soon as they cut down on their current jobs, well the bills dont cut down for them. Even if they did or could make time it may or may not land them a better job or better wage; no guarentee. If it did would we be all Doctors and anyone but should starve? Or should they go and move closer to work like you say and pay sales fees, stamp duty furniture removal costs and bridging finance and end up another 20 grand down the toilet?
Its called budgeting....

Very few australian families bother to calculate their income verse outgoings, its just a matter of balancing the scales, if petrol goes up, then something else has to come down. Fair enough there are plenty of battlers out there who really have trouble with their finances, theres not much i can say about these people. But reality is, Petrol prices are at $1.40, do we all give up and die, or do we push on? Everyone has choices mate.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #38
Kenster

I just like to add that job is harder to find and keep now a days since more and more jobs are going overseas and less work for here
Old 01-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #39
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

c'mon guys he's 20 years old, give him a break.

It is the domain of the young to be self-righteous and adamant and tunnel-visioned and have the remarkable ability to see things in black and white.

I was like that at 20. I have kids his age and a bit older who are like that.

A bit of age and experience will do wonders.

(I'm not putting you down SWave...its simply the way it is)
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #40
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
c'mon guys he 20 years old, give him a break.

It is the domain of the young to be self-righteous and adamant and tunnel-visioned and have the remarkable ability to see things in black and white.

Spot on. Most would have been similar when we were also young and free. I was the same but I was grounded at a ealry age in regards to life aspects. : Although I was engaged @ his age and married a short time later. I know won't be too old to enjoy my life when my 2 children leave home. I'll also be able to support them in hard times as I won't be on a pension for at least another 18 or so years.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #41
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

I honestly think, that somebody needs to move out of his parents home and start living in the real world. Families struggle harder and harder these days and it all boils down to the cost of living going up, not an inability to do their budget. Alot of times there is never enough money to spread that thin to cover everything. Oh and may I ask just how did you afford to pay for university??? Thats a lot of money to have to cough up in one go. I am tired of people like you sitting there thinking that you have all the answers when in actual fact you havent even begun to see the real world. Wake up and smell the roses, life is not as easy as it is on paper. The more people winge about the costs of things the more that the so called politicians have to listen because in the end its compulsory to vote.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Personally I think my opinion may not be agreed with by all, but shouldnt be discounted because of the fact that im 20. Maybe its just because of the background I am in, as im doing a Commerce degree it seems normal to me that prices of things do go up with time, while some of you think we are living in the 60's. Look at cars for example, how much could you buy a Falcon for in the early 80's / 70's, for about 1/10th of the price of one now. Are you upset that cars have gone up in price? Real estate is another key issue I think, look at QLD, the average home price went from something like 120 k to 290 in 3 years, people whinged about it, but got over it.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #43
Scott

Bed time.

Edit - Ooh, not yet. Cars & Housing are both markets with both Clarity & Competition, unlike Oil where this all started from.

Now bed.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #44
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Beaver
The more people winge about the costs of things the more that the so called politicians have to listen because in the end its compulsory to vote.
I wonder if they'll ever drop the compulsory voting? I don't think they'd get their heads out of their backsides to figure out dropping compulsory voting would benefit them. Why would it? Apparently we are a lazy nation hence compulsory voting.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #45
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

well Brenx if your kids are like mine you may have to force them out at gunpoint, lol.

My wife and I had a 6 month period where our two youngest daughters moved out and rented together. (Our two eldest were already out and about).

No kids at home...it was heaven. Who'd have thought that the place could stay tidy for more than an hour. The food bill dropped enormously, we didn't have to leave lights on for when they got home late, etc etc.

Our youngest pair decided its cheaper at home and our eldest got back from Europe just before xmas and is still here (and looking very comfortable).

So here we are with almost a house full again...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #46
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Beaver
I honestly think, that somebody needs to move out of his parents home and start living in the real world. Families struggle harder and harder these days and it all boils down to the cost of living going up, not an inability to do their budget. Alot of times there is never enough money to spread that thin to cover everything. Oh and may I ask just how did you afford to pay for university??? Thats a lot of money to have to cough up in one go. I am tired of people like you sitting there thinking that you have all the answers when in actual fact you havent even begun to see the real world. Wake up and smell the roses, life is not as easy as it is on paper. The more people winge about the costs of things the more that the so called politicians have to listen because in the end its compulsory to vote.

The real world?

I pay my own bills, a mortgage, a lease on my XR6 and my uni fees, which i happen to pay on credit card over a 6 month period. I don't do it easy, i dont have money to burn, but if fuel prices worried me as much it seems to worry most of you who have posted i wouldnt be driving a BA XR6, or anything like it, ive learnt to cop it on the chin and accept the fact that i could cry to every person i spoke to each day, but it wouldnt get me anywhere.

As for politicians they are dickheads, but they are all the same, they only worry about their own back pockets, not ours so give up on that one.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #47
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well Brenx if your kids are like mine you may have to force them out at gunpoint, lol.

My wife and I had a 6 month period where our two youngest daughters moved out and rented together. (Our two eldest were already out and about).

No kids at home...it was heaven. Who'd have thought that the place could stay tidy for more than an hour. The food bill dropped enormously, we didn't have to leave lights on for when they got home late, etc etc.

Our youngest pair decided its cheaper at home and our eldest got back from Europe just before xmas and is still here (and looking very comfortable).

So here we are with almost a house full again...
Hopefully not. Your kids must be in the generation called "Boomerang kids?" As they just keep coming back ;) I left at 18 and have never returned. I return for visits but not to live. I don't like having my life dictated. I guess if I have a big house (with the room) I wouldn't mind if they came home. They'd have to pay their way though. No free rides from me. I didn't get one.

A tidy house? What's that? It's been nearly 7 years since I've had one of those.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #48
ronwest

Quote:
Personally I think my opinion may not be agreed with by all, but shouldnt be discounted because of the fact that im 20.
Of course not and I have no doubt at all that you are very sincere in what you are saying.

The thing is that as you get older and experience a wider range of input and acknowledge that everyone is different and many, many people have very little control over their circumstances, you will adjust your thinking in many areas.

That's the maturing process.

(It doesn't mean that you are immature... just not as mature as you will be)
Old 01-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #49
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its called budgeting....

Very few australian families bother to calculate their income verse outgoings, its just a matter of balancing the scales, if petrol goes up, then something else has to come down. Fair enough there are plenty of battlers out there who really have trouble with their finances, theres not much i can say about these people. But reality is, Petrol prices are at $1.40, do we all give up and die, or do we push on? Everyone has choices mate.
Your last line sums it up...NOT everyone has choices.

When Petrol goes up everything goes up. Forget intrest rates; Petrol is the interest rate. Budgeting for extra costs in petrol is very hard for families. Budgeting for all groceries, courier, postage, public transport costs amongst many other things is near impossible.

I am resonable well off but at no stage will I ever become ignorant to strugling families that work hard and still strugle.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #50
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Your kids must be in the generation called "Boomerang kids?"
They say that what goes around, comes around.

I was 28 when I got married (I think my parents paid - or at the very least begged - my wife to marry me).

I'd travelled a lot in my 20's but always used 'home' as a base. Every couple of years I'd lob in and spend a year or so. Must have driven my parents to despair but being young I had bigger fish to fry, lol.

My eldest is 25. I've told her she's got 3 years to snag some poor unsuspecting male and move out.

She thinks I'm kidding, lol.

So yeah, I guess it does come around...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #51
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
The real world?

I pay my own bills, a mortgage, a lease on my XR6 and my uni fees, which i happen to pay on credit card over a 6 month period. I don't do it easy, i dont have money to burn, but if fuel prices worried me as much it seems to worry most of you who have posted i wouldnt be driving a BA XR6, or anything like it, ive learnt to cop it on the chin and accept the fact that i could cry to every person i spoke to each day, but it wouldnt get me anywhere.

As for politicians they are dickheads, but they are all the same, they only worry about their own back pockets, not ours so give up on that one.
Maybe when you have your own family to support you will understand why families are so concerned.
20, living at home, single. Not exactly doing it out on your own yet. Give it another 10 years.. with wife and maybe your second kid on the way while you are paying for your firstborn to go to daycare. Then suddenly your work moves location and you cant catch public transport.. or worse, they go under and you are suddenly left on 1 income. But of course you will have it under control because you control your own choices right?

Looks great on paper... but life has a habit of throwing curveballs at regular periods of life, usually when you need it least, and sometimes, just sometimes, it all gets that little bit harder when the funds are just spread all too thin to cover it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #52
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You are right but gee he has alot to learn.

I know many highly quilified persons who did their 4 years+ at uni and cannot get more than partime work if any at all. Its not a story I heard down the pub but a fact. He might learn; There could be hope.

A guess a 20 Year old wouldnt remember the recession very well!!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #53
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Maybe when you have your own family to support you will understand why families are so concerned.
20, living at home, single. Not exactly doing it out on your own yet. Give it another 10 years.. with wife and maybe your second kid on the way while you are paying for your firstborn to go to daycare. Then suddenly your work moves location and you cant catch public transport.. or worse, they go under and you are suddenly left on 1 income. But of course you will have it under control because you control your own choices right?

Looks great on paper... but life has a habit of throwing curveballs at regular periods of life, usually when you need it least, and sometimes, just sometimes, it all gets that little bit harder when the funds are just spread all too thin to cover it.
I appreciate what you have to say bud, i will now go back to my corner. No more from me on this topic. :
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #54
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Dont worry about him/her too much guys. There is always someone that is prepared to look down their noses at struggling families and blame them for their own circumstances. He/she is young and will learn. Perhaps, even the hard way.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #55
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I appreciate what you have to say bud, i will now go back to my corner. No more from me on this topic. :
at 20 I was totally in control, had it all in black and white and knew exactly where I was going.

By 26 every single thing had changed. Its just a part of life. I hope you dont go through what most of us over 30s have gone through... but I'm betting you will. Stick to your plan but dont for a second expect that it will go smoothly. As an example, just think what would happen if your water heater and stove in your investment home packed it in within 2 weeks of each other.. and you had to get thie fixed straight away. I'm betting that that would sting financially? Especially if you had just put new tyres on the car that week. Just one of lifes many, many, MANY curveballs

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just one thing Outback Jack, why not treat someone with respect rather then refering to me as Him / her. I have my opinion which is obviously totally incorrect as per the response I have received, doesn't mean you should degrade me as a person as I would never look down at anyone.

My family went through losing our home when i was 12 because of a fuc ked business venture, my old man worked his *** of and got himself back together, he has taught me things in life that age and all the other crap some people carry on with never will, sadly people spend too much time whiging about things and not enough time moving towards fixing them. People assume way to much..

I accept the increase of fuel prices maybe a worry for lots of people, for me they arent as I can accept that its just a part of how things are going, if whinging would make fuel cheaper trust me I would, but it won't so why bother. I am very thankful for what i have as well, I dont see myself being any better then anyone i know, i have my faults, im not up myself just trying to make a honest life for myself, really not that WRONG. If i get burnt along the way and come undone then bad luck, you live and learn from your mistakes.

As for caspers comments, i hope my stove dont break now lol.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #57
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
He/she is young and will learn. Perhaps, even the hard way.
well, let's hope not. There was no flouncing around being the martyr or personal attacks from SWave.

He (I think its a he) handled it all well. Better than me at 20. I would have highly outraged that someone had had the temerity to question my assertions, lol.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #58
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
A guess a 20 Year old wouldnt remember the recession very well!!
Actually that is something I was trying to tell my kids.
They have only known good times. They have no idea about credit squeezes and recessions.

All their working career has been good times but inevitably there will be future recessions.

I'll be ok whatever happens but I can see some pain looming for those who are overextended, particularly with our new IR laws in place.

edit: speeling

Last edited by ronwest; 01-05-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #59
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Just one thing Outback Jack, why not treat someone with respect rather then refering to me as Him / her. I have my opinion which is obviously totally incorrect as per the response I have received, doesn't mean you should degrade me as a person as I would never look down at anyone.

My family went through losing our home when i was 12 because of a fuc ked business venture, my old man worked his *** of and got himself back together, he has taught me things in life that age and all the other crap some people carry on with never will, sadly people spend too much time whiging about things and not enough time moving towards fixing them. People assume way to much..

I accept the increase of fuel prices maybe a worry for lots of people, for me they arent as I can accept that its just a part of how things are going, if whinging would make fuel cheaper trust me I would, but it won't so why bother.

As for caspers comments, i hope my stove dont break now lol.
If you felt degraded,I apologise. I dont know if you are male or female, I was hedgeing my bets. But your first post was very prescriptive. And most people dont take kindly to getting that kind of "advise" from someone that has not had much experince in the real world. I too came from a family that scraped our existance together. But that probably made us closer. Re read your first post, hopefully you will see how it rubbed people up the wrong way. To me you were saying, if you are struggling, its probably your own silly fault, make major life descisions and get on with it, dont winge. When you have kids and financial responsibilties and you get a tap on the shoulder at work one day. Lets see you just pack every thing up and just move on. I am not trying to belittle you or insult you, but you just havent lived enough to know what it is like to have the rug pulled out from under you. Most people on this forum would most probably have had the wind knocked out of them on a few ocasions and know what I am trying to get across to you. Nicely I hope.
Peace.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #60
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
If you felt degraded,I apologise. I dont know if you are male or female, I was hedgeing my bets. But your first post was very prescriptive. And most people dont take kindly to getting that kind of "advise" from someone that has not had much experince in the real world. I too came from a family that scraped our existance together. But that probably made us closer. Re read your first post, hopefully you will see how it rubbed people up the wrong way. To me you were saying, if you are struggling, its probably your own silly fault, make major life descisions and get on with it, dont winge. When you have kids and financial responsibilties and you get a tap on the shoulder at work one day. Lets see you just pack every thing up and just move on. I am not trying to belittle you or insult you, but you just havent lived enough to know what it is like to have the rug pulled out from under you. Most people on this forum would most probably have had the wind knocked out of them on a few ocasions and know what I am trying to get across to you. Nicely I hope.
Peace.
My post about Moving house or getting another job was based on the whole i should be on the DOLE comment... Sorry if i offended but that kind of outlook on life is dissapointing, even from a 20 year old who "hasnt lived enough".

Typical of todays era tho.
Closed Thread