Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #31
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Ouch! That hurt man! Dont make me cry....

So what? you expect Holden to push these engineless Monaros off the production line, on to the car transporters by hand then push them on to the ship..... then push them in to the GTO LS1 installation plant (which doesnt exist) It's NOT VIABLE you idiot! They need the cars to be mobile

But to suggest "oh we can make the parts of an engine, but we dont know how to assemble our own engine, so we will ship it to Australia so they can bolt it together...." I can understand them doing that in Mexico or Brazil (less freight and cheaper labor) - the engines which are already assembled in North America for the Lincoln Navigator (DOHC 5.4 close enough to the XR8 spec, i am sure they know how to upgrade the motor) - why on earth would they ship the engines on the opposite side of the world to a production facility that cannot support US volume... try to use your brain a little bit and realize why the Ford Motor Company wont be doing this..

The real issue, is you are just hoping for this to happen... it would be like your favorite footy team winning the grand final, cos if Ford Australia are exporting anything, you will probably get off on that and brag about it to all the Holden fans - you seem to think I am saying this as if i am against Fords.

Who cares they only would of had to push 1500 of them since they sold so well... ANd i agrea why the hell would they assemble the boss motors here then ship them back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Until the AU all tickford I6 engines were apparently shipped to the UK and assembled there!!! UK labour prices are outragous, even Rolls Royce can't afford to assemble engines there.

Australia has low labour costs, and we already have a BOSS production line and development here in Australia. It would be shipping the blocks (not sure where the heads come from, possibly US or mexico) from canada to OZ to have a substancial FPV make over, then ship it back to the US. While there is a cost, it is not much. Bunnyings can move 40kg bags of mulch profitabily for what $5 a bag anywhere in Australia including contents. Companies like Ford get excellent shipping contracts. A lot of the cost is loading and unloading, so unless it can be done in canada it may be favourable to do it here.

It all depends on volume. Personally I think it would be great. Australia has started getting a name for itself in relation to hulkingly powerful machinery (ie top gear, Car and driver reviews etc). The GTO also woke some people up as well. Some yanks know about the Chargers and the clevo's we used to make here. While not as good as made in the USA its as acceptable to them as made in Canada or maybe even more so.

Personally I think they should stick the Falcon I6 turbo motah into a mustang.

ANd i so could not see ANY tickford l6 engine being shiped to england then to australia.. THats just crazy talk.. THey all ran down the geelong production line pretty much just the same, with the same arvo shift nuffies building them as the taxi motor next to them. in fact the bottom ends are the same.. so why would they ship the motor to england then back again

Last edited by INJECTED_250; 13-04-2006 at 10:00 PM.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Great first post :... shame you forgot to mention only the block and main parts of the bottom end are American, and the engine is actually unique to Australia and assembled here.... :
The engine isnt that unique - as i said it's also in the Lincoln Navigator
Yes the US Ford variants get the 2v and 3v versions (as in the 220kw Barra) and the Lincolns get the quad cam... if they didnt, then Ford AUstralia would have had to design and manufacture their own parts... they didnt do that, but they did build the engine using the best parts they could.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #33
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FPV V8 in a Mustang would be very good for FPV. I'd like to see it happen. FPV becoming the Ford Global performance arm?

Maybe that's dreaming a tad much... lol
yeah, But all the greats cars in the world first started out as just a dream... FPV going global,,,,stranger things have happend

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:55 AM   #34
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadentia
Some people just have no idea.

The engine in the Ford GT was an all alloy 5.4 litre job wasn't it ? So guess they have the castings for that over there somewheres, not sure about if the heads on the said engine were alloy as well, but basically sounds like that's the engine they'd be after, minus the supercharger.
there is a reason,FPV sourced a cast iron block ,other than price you know . 3 times the strength. alloy is lighter . thats it.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 01:59 AM   #35
McobraR
me may my mo

Why wouldn't they use it? Isnt the BOSS engines the most powerful n/a production V8 that Ford has right now? Im pretty sure it is.

Also to gtfpv, isnt aluminium alloy stronger and lighter? ive heard the only advantage cast iron has is its ability to withstand high temperatures.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:12 AM   #36
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
And the yanks said that the 5.4 triton block with the Cobra R type heads wouldnt work in the first place. : :

Go Aussies !!
At the recent FPV weekend, i was told we aussies are the only ones that are still using these heads and our consumption may not be enough to keep making this particular head just for us.
It was suggested that most likely we will see a change in the Head, we will have to wait and see.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
Why wouldn't they use it? Isnt the BOSS engines the most powerful n/a production V8 that Ford has right now? Im pretty sure it is.

Also to gtfpv, isnt aluminium alloy stronger and lighter? ive heard the only advantage cast iron has is its ability to withstand high temperatures.
5.0 "Cammer" V8 makes 440hp 400ftlbs (328kW 542Nm) n/a from 5.0 litres. Eclipses the Boss290 5.4 with ease.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #38
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
5.0 "Cammer" V8 makes 440hp 400ftlbs (328kW 542Nm) n/a from 5.0 litres. Eclipses the Boss290 5.4 with ease.
Its also has a carby instead of EFI and they cost a bomb! By the time to make a mass produced model and make it Euro3 complient your back to BOSS 290 outputs on our fuel.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #39
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
ANd i so could not see ANY tickford l6 engine being shiped to england then to australia.. THats just crazy talk..
Crazy but true.

http://www.orig.green.net.au/mellor/...n?OpenDocument

Quote:
The 4.0-litre, in-line six, overhead cam, alloy head engine was modified by Tickford Engineering in the UK.
Ford did have a link on the Tickford website about the history. Can't find it tho.

If FoMoCo does drop the 32v head for the 5.4's, then I guess it will be up to Australia to engineer new ones. We have head manufacturing ability here in OZ, we could update it to put VCT on atleast one of the Cams..
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #40
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

There are heaps of navigators there two years ago with 32 valve heads...
Costs are higher here due to cost per unit, we don't have big enough market so cost per unit is high..Even if labour was $5 and executives got $10 an hour cost of setting up plant would still be high per unit..Btw our AU to U.S is not high...73c...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Yeh i thought about the cammer b4 posting my other post... if im correct thats a racing engine and it doesn't comply with the Euro3 compliants. meaning its not a mass produced engine (BUT my first post did only say production V8, not mass production V8, so thats my bad, i wont blame ya lol)
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #42
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

5.0L Cammer is a pretty expensive option and i would doubt evan a chance for Euro 3.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #43
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The Tickford XR6 engine was developed in the UK as well as locally. All engine production was local, they didn't differ that much from normal sixes, eg at least in the early years instead of making specific valve springs they used the stiffest 10% of the existing type, which was adequate.

Given the Lincoln Navigator uses a superficially similar engine and we still have Boss assembly locally it is not a guarantee that it will be dropped, it is useful for the local arm to be able to do what they want not what the 20x larger US market wants. As mentioned already higher volumes can only be a good thing though, higher r&d and better economy of scale.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #44
Decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
there is a reason,FPV sourced a cast iron block ,other than price you know . 3 times the strength. alloy is lighter . thats it.
I am aware that cast iron has it's benefits over alloy, but at the same time I do believe that the car the engine was to go into , would be a limited production item - ie: Mustang Cobra R.

What I was getting at is, why would Ford US want our Boss engine, in limited numbers, when they already have the tooling etc to make a more ' desireable' engine in their own back yard. Couple that it's a limited edition, with the fact it has an engine 'marketed' as related to the flagship of Fords range ( GT ), and the die hards will be breaking down the doors.
Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Crazy but true.

http://www.orig.green.net.au/mellor/...n?OpenDocument

Ford did have a link on the Tickford website about the history. Can't find it tho.

If FoMoCo does drop the 32v head for the 5.4's, then I guess it will be up to Australia to engineer new ones. We have head manufacturing ability here in OZ, we could update it to put VCT on atleast one of the Cams..
You are crazy, as thats not true. The development was done in the UK by Tickford on the EB XR6 engine as Tickford was not set up in Oz. Once the development was done the engines were built on the assembly line in Geelong to Tickfords specs. They had nothing to do with production.

As for the Boss engine it would more likely the Americans could use the engine but they would just take a few from here and copy our inlet manifold and make the other parts to the same specs as ours but assembly them over there. Would make it cheaper as the development has already been done, they would only have to adapt it for their application. It would still be a Boss engine but it would be slightly different. Either that or they buy our inlets and other unique parts from us and assembly them over there. FPV could also build them for the US if it was for a special build that was limited in numbers. I don't see how thats any different to Holden making Saab engines and shipping them to Sweden for fitment.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post