Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #31
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Default Re: Good deeds and kind gestures

I stopped & helped a bloke round up some stray dogs this arvo.
We've got storms and showers at the moment, & the dogs weren't terribly happy.....

Ed
Old 21-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #32
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I would like to add, that as a truck driver in Melbourne i see some great drivers on my weekly trips down that way. And where i can i give them a wave or thumbs up as thanks. And being an NRMA patrolman for 4 years pullin up to help out others just kinda becomes second nature.
Old 21-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #33
DallasXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I had my place re-carpeted a year ago. There were 3 guys doing the laying.

I went out and bought them back a pie and a cake each for morning tea and access to my soft drink supply in my garage.
When our house was bein built, my parents would always grab a slab for each group working on it... Brickie was due for a cancer op, and put it off 1 week to finish our house... It was the best 50 bucks ever spent

Red P's
DallasXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #34
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

i helped a lady out who seemed to have just been recovering from a seizure, she was confused and tired and dropped her groceries and she was struglling to get up, i noticed everyone walking passed her without offering any help.

i recognised the signs as my daughter suffers from epilepsy and I knew just how to help her and calm her down.

i offered my assistance and comfort, helped her dial her hubbies number and waited with her till he came to pick her up.

after talking to her hubby i found she did have epilepsy and she was not on any meds, I shared with them my story with my daughter and how meds can control it and in some cases with young people the meds can make it disappear for good and with little or no side effects.

in defence to people not helping her, i could see how it may have looked like she just dropped her groceries while making a call, however if they hung around a little longer they would have seen she was struggling big time, she was quite brave in fact trying to fightt it all, as my daughter does too.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #35
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I am a firm believer in this kind of thing, pay it forward, and have been this way for most of my life. Granted I've been crapped on a lot as a result, and taken for granted more than once, but the other half reckons I've racked up enough good karma to carry me through the next 50 years of my life. Being nice to people doesn't hurt you or cost you anything, except perhaps your time. So I say more of it should be around...

You gave me something to smile about...thankyou!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #36
Turboconvert

I could give a few stories of me helping others out, but i would feel like i was boasting if I did (not that i want to discourage others telling how they have been nice/positive). Instead I'll list the good things that have happened to me. Last year I went and booked the bf xr8 in for a big 90k service. Only had it for 7/8 months so it had not had a service under my ownership yet. Anyways ironically, the receptionist of the ford dealership, was married to the supervisor of a different section of the business where I work. As such I didn't really talk to the bloke that much. Anyway, the ute goes in for a service, expecting to pay as much as 8/900 bucks for the privilage. Come out with a smile bigger then the cat from alice in wonderland. She told me because I worked with her husband she gave me a discount. Paid only $450. Told her she didnt have to but she did anyways. Not really enjoying work at the time, it made life at work a little easier to deal with for a while.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #37
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks everyone. It has been great to read about the things that have made yours and other's days... both past and present

Good to see there are still people out there sharing.
Old 21-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
LTDHO
The one and only

Kinda reminds me of Flanders
(as sung to dirty dirty deeds)
"Kindly deeds, done for free"
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #39
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Same,

But Col without putting a negative spin on this, there is hardly any thanks for doing right. It's like others expect these things done for them and if they don't get it, then they whinge.

Hey mate....Just a general observation, The Job you and I do really can turn one cynical... LOL I include myself in that statement mate
Old 21-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #40
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Last week, my partner and I were doing a ring-around, to find out who the rental agent was for the house across the road from her. The new tennant had gone to work for the day (working long hours) and left his garage door open. This meant his whole house was open.

Anyway, we eventually found the agent, who thought we were ringing to complain about him, who were able to call him at work, so he could get his parents to come around to lock up for him.

Haven't heard back from him, but we feel good doing the right thing.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #41
FgNewbie
Australia

Good positive thread. I have heaps of memories (receiving and giving) that give me the warm & fuzzies.

On the receiving end, I'm generally told just a "thanks" will do but it never seems enough.

On the giving end, I believe in "life is what we make it" so I do what I can when I can for others.... and also appreciate just a "thanks".

What better way to share a smile a day.

Keeping it positive, I'll leave it at that.

FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #42
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Hey mate....Just a general observation, The Job you and I do really can turn one cynical... LOL I include myself in that statement mate
OMG yes. I hear ya!

Yeah give more than intitled and still no thanks... Manners are rare these days.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been doing research on a pre-1800 shipwreck and suspect that the bell in a local old church may be off the wreck. The bell may provide clues to the identity of the wreck.
Driving down there the other day I followed a work ute towing a nifty little elevated work platform on a trailer, and thought that it would be ideal for getting up to the bell in the steeple for a snoop.
Later on I saw the ute in town and had a tradie chat about it with the guys, and explained what I was doing, and that a scaffold was proving a challenge to organise.
I jokingly/seriously (as you do) offered them some cash to get me up there for a look.
They had an hour spare so we did the job. Turned out to be too far (horizontally) for a good look but it was great to have a bit of a hand, especially with a hint of risk as the big boss was apparently floating about nearby. Everyone wins. (except the boss maybe)

Last edited by shedcoupe; 22-03-2011 at 01:11 PM.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #44
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Lying down to go sleep last night I thought of this thread and remembered a few nice things that people had done for me.

In january I entered the Kandos Street Machine show in the XE. On its second go in the burnouts my brother was driving when it overheated causing the top radiator to blow which then lifted the leads of the dizzy and filled it up with water and the air filter was soaked. Somehow also managed to melt the power steering lines on the extractors. Anyway all arvo I was asking around if anyone had a spare hose I could have so I can dodgey the car up for the next day of events. A mate let me go back to his house and gave me some hoses for nothing which solved that problem and another mate I went to school with said he could help with the power steering. About half an hour later he rocked up with a whole complete powersteering setup and wanted nothing for it. I was gob smacked. We spent half the night fixing the car at our camp on the side of the road but in the end the power steering setup he gave me I couldn't use as the end piece of one of the hoses that goes to the steering box was stuffed. So we just ran the car without power steering the next day. If it wasnt for these good mates I wouldnt of got the car going for the next day of events. I was greatful and couldnt say thanks enough.

Just one of the nice things to happen

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When I had my accident, someone who saw actually stopped to make sure we where all OK and offered to be the witness.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #46
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Back in '01, I lent a mate several thousand dollars to fix a blown motor in his car. It was every last cent I had, but he was going to lose his job if he couldn't get the car back on the road. Felt pretty good helping him out. Sure, he spent all the money on speed then sold the car to a wrecker, but I'm still basking in the karma.

Good thread idea though, comrade! Some very good deeds posted above.
wow!!!!! what a ******
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
without putting a negative spin on this, there is hardly any thanks for doing right. It's like others expect these things done for them and if they don't get it, then they whinge.
but it's the feel good factor in yourself, you've done right, you're an ok person.

i occasionally nurse injured birds. a colleague rang me at home one time, said she had an injured seagull, would i come and get it? this was an hour drive to get it and an hour back. i really didn't want to but what the heck. so got it, brought it home, nursed it for a couple of weeks, took it back and released it. that is always a good moment.

but then, a week later i get a bottle of wine and a beautiful note thanking me for doing what i did. i've still got that note, and i read it when i feel down. it was lovely and unexpected to be appreciated.

Last edited by iCat; 23-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

These days it seems it's all about 'me'... but there are always exceptions.

I also believe in karma. I have had my share of ups and downs but I believe everything has a balance.

I once dropped my wallet on the ground getting out of the car one night. Wallet fell into the gutter. I was out with my then GF getting a Kebab. I reached for my bag to pay but she already had the money ready.

We ate, then drove home. On the way home my mobile rang. A girl was on the other end saying she had my wallet (I had a business card in there). We turned around and collected it. She parked in our spot.

Funny thing, my wallet had over $1000 cash in it.... and every cent was there. The girl was youngish, perhaps early 20's. I had to force a $50 into her had as a reward...

Last public holiday I got to a shopping centre 5 minutes late. The shop was closed. There was a long stream of cars entering then doing a U turn only to exit again... From the 5 minutes I was in the carpark, I didn't notice anyone telling the people entering that the shop was closed.... they just drive out and went on their way. When I got to the entrance / exit I stopped and waved down the next 4 cars telling them to not bother entering... of those that I told, only 2 said thanks for the heads up..

There is much more, but often it's the warm / fuzzy feeling people get knowing that others are looking out for them that's reward enough.

I know it's wrong of me to say this... but what I really hate is when you go well and truly out of your way to help someone and they don't even acknowledge the gesture or say thanks.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #49
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i ripped up and relaid 30 squares of grass for my neighbour at 9pm on a saturday night.

if i didnt do it the new grass would have died on her patio.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Another couple I thought of

I had my place re-carpeted a year ago. There were 3 guys doing the laying.

I went out and bought them back a pie and a cake each for morning tea and access to my soft drink supply in my garage.

Also, as an accountant, I have acted as a treasurer for community groups and sports groups my sons have been involved in over the years free of charge.
Have just been doing house rennovations ... and everytime i had someone in to do stuff I can't ... I let them know ... there's food and drink in the fridge ... help yourself.

I have found that I ended up getting high quality work done ... and they did little extra things that wasn't actually part of the job ... as a thanks in return.

It can be hard sometimes to be like this. Luckily I am very patient with people ... and I was always taught from a young age to hold open doors and the like as well.

There's a lot of people out there though ... who just don't acknowledge you for the help they have received ... but i don't let it get to me though ... there's no use.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #51
THE CADBURY KID

From the way i look you wouldnt think id ever helped anyone haha but i do when the time arises,it makes you feel good to help someone out.
Just dont ever expect someone to do it for you and you will be alright...
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I gave my friend a fuel discount voucher I had today, he went to the petrol station, filled up 40L at 4 142.9, 4 cents per L off that and they only gave him $1.50 off, wtf?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #53
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I helped a friend put in a car stereo, he didnt say a work but posted in facebook i helped him and thanked me on there. I was very annoyed he couldnt even say it to me. I wont be helping him in the future.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #54
xy500
Constant annoyance

way to turn a positive into a negative...
Old 26-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #55
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I gave my friend a fuel discount voucher I had today, he went to the petrol station, filled up 40L at 4 142.9, 4 cents per L off that and they only gave him $1.50 off, wtf?
perhaps he only put in 38L not 40L.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #56
FCleader
John

I made a girl very happy the other night, when I found and returned her brand new iPhone4 she had lost in a club..
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #57
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

On Thursday afternoons I drive a group of school cricketers to their matches and back to school. They tend to finish much later than everyone else, and one of the boys misses his bus home from Marrickville to Earlwood.

I pass his stop on the way back to the depot anyway, so after clearing it with the teachers, I let him stay on the bus after dropping the others off, and drop him at his usual bus stop on the way back.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Sometimes If I see a hitch hiker that looks friendly I'll pull up and give them a lift. .
i've only ever picked up one hitchhiker, but then it was late (getting dark) and it was SNOWING, so it was darn cold. i took him a few extra kms and dropped him at his destination.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #59
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'll never forget this.

Two days prior to heading down the Gold Coast for Indy my brother decided to have a night out with his friends and consequently lost his wallet, with all his ID and all the cash he had saved for the trip.

The day before we left I was home alone getting things ready when I got a knock at the door from a guy who had found his wallet and went to the address on his license to give it back. Everything was intact so I went into the money section and handed the guy $20 to say thanks so much and I appreciate want he had done. He took the cash and then promptly handed it back to me in my shirt pocket and he said "I don't need any reward, just returning what I found", and left.
Old 31-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #60
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Several years ago, before I got my Australian driving licence, I missed the last train home (I worked in a restaurant in Melbourne CBD and didn't get out till nearly 1 a.m). I could have walked to the suburbs but I decided to try a bus that was at a nearby stop.
The driver, a big Maori bloke, was writing in his book and said tiredly, "Sorry, but I'm headed back to the depot." He asked me where I was getting off and I told him. He then said, "That's on my way to the depot; have a seat."
I offered to pay him, but he declined, and I got a free ride home with a good conversation along the way.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post