Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #31
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found out how to fix my problems..... i reinstall when i get my full version of ultimate and give it a try

the whole setup isnt what i expected...it doesnt give a detailed display for things id like detailed but it does for useless crap like computer properties... who cares

then mixes up all the options that used to be in that top left corner, and renames some words and phrases that no longer make sence.... anyways enough ranting ill install soon enough atm i dont like it at all.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
got a copy of the final release of vista ultimate (the top notch one), so i installed it, found it doesnt like my mobo driver disk, graphics card disk, network setup, isnt user friendly

and most of all if you dont like seeing "Are you sure...." every time you right click or do something, then windows vista isnt for you.

i tried installing some software and deleting useless crap, EVERYTHING was "how would you like to use this....", "you dont have permission to do this click continue for permission", "you have....." so i hit reset, formatted and snapped the disk.
They can be turned off, it's a security feature that is trying to stop unpriveledged remote users running malicious software on your machine. Agreed that it does get annoying but you get to live with it.

I'm running the Enterprise edition on a 2nd machine as a volume licence for the company I work for so it's a 100% legitemate version and currently up to date. I'm still a little on the fence about it.

The UI is pretty slick and some of the visuals are quite nice but if you want to see a real slick UI, you'd take a look at something like Beryl on Linux.

On my machine it's not particularly stable, it's good for a blue screen a day as it is. Previously running 2003 perfectly. I have an IDE disk and a SATA disk in this machine and if I have the SATA as the primary boot device it'll boot the OS until you install something, next boot it'll not load the new boot loader. Re-installed 6 times before I swapped the boot order (yet installed Vista on the same physical disk).

The bootloader, very anti-dual boot from what I can see unless it's another Microsoft OS. It looks like it does have potential but perhaps there's just a lack of decent tools to really frig with it.

Deleting files seems to be an effort on my machine. I've actually left it running for 30 mins before cancelling it, complaining that a COM thread was not responding continually. Connect to the admin share through this machine(Windows XP) and delete instantly through the network, crazy.

There's certainly potential there, but I wouldn't run it as my primary OS on my primary box right now. It runs VMWare better than my XP box does (and that's a big plus for me) and at the moment it's basically my P2P, newsgroup downloader, VMWare and video streaming box.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #33
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
Yeah probably should have stated which version i was running.
I'm running ultimate, what are you running ORSM?
On mine it uses about 500mb, which is a fair bit once you
add on the things that i always use at once, Firefox, MSN, Itunes.
And trying to play source on it is impossible
I am using Vista RTM. And just a tip for low memory systems, if you have a second HDD in your system, set your page file size to 1½ times physical ram size and have this on your other HDD. Not your boot HDD. Disable the page file on your boot HDD. This will give a better performance overall.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #34
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
I am using Vista RTM. And just a tip for low memory systems, if you have a second HDD in your system, set your page file size to 1½ times physical ram size and have this on your other HDD. Not your boot HDD. Disable the page file on your boot HDD. This will give a better performance overall.
Or stick in a USB thumb drive to run ReadyBoost.