Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #31
pundit
Gazza!

Default Re: Buy local... what a joke..

Mate of mine has a VW Golf Mk 6.5... He purchased a factory VW GPS unit for it online for $1,200 delivered with latest aus & nz maps, brand new in the box... To get from local VW dealer was nearly $2,400.. No brainier why he went online.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Exactly, Id always rather buy local but if the local bloke reakons his going to get away with slapping 40% on the same product and all he has done is put his price tag on it then his dreaming.

I have no problems with 10% additional, maybe 15 for transport, anything higher than that and you have to ask why? More so when they dont even manufacture it here.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #33
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

[QUOTE=BadMax;4966820 How is your fat pay check going while paying off your over capitalised mortgage?
And then complain about high retail prices' because that same bloke on the other side of the counter wants the same fat pay packet as you...Go figure...

[/QUOTE]

If my pay packet is fat then it did not get that way throwing money away at companies that think that the world owes them a living....
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just pure greed by the retailer and reseller, no more no less, no one cares if someone makes a good living, but if a guy in the US can make a chromoly tail shaft with forged steel yokes and precision universal joints ready to go for $429 and he is still making a great profit, and an inferior product here gets quotes as locally manufactured for three times the price, I am being raped.

Most parts I buy overseas are identical parts that I can buy there for a fraction (usually around1/3rd) the price for identical product made in the same factory, I would be mad not to do it.

Then you have to deal with often rude sellers and disinterested sales staff.

Another recent example and not even overseas, is some driving lights I bought the other day, Local brand chain spare parts shop $279, Local Super Cheap, $229, eBay $133 delivered buy it now. Exact same item in exact retail packaging, brand new in the box.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #35
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Exactly, Id always rather buy local but if the local bloke reakons his going to get away with slapping 40% on the same product and all he has done is put his price tag on it then his dreaming.

I have no problems with 10% additional, maybe 15 for transport, anything higher than that and you have to ask why? More so when they dont even manufacture it here.
You have never been in business yourself, with a comment like that.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
You have never been in business yourself, with a comment like that.
Wrong.... I work full time and I have a property rental business.....
Old 17-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #37
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

But not retail business
Old 17-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Wifes fiesta has faulty Vehicle speed sensor... Diagnosed by son in laws diagnostic gear. P0050 error code. Makes sense the speedo has stopped working. Hit the internet and all the usual ebay sellers pop up. Mostly from the UK. It will cost me about $AU50 to get one from the UK. But I resist and go see the local ford dealer. None in stock but they can get me one $291.00 I tell him that I wanted to support local jobs and business's but I cannot justify spending that when I can get it for $50 on line. He shrugs, I walk away and another customer is lost. Perhaps for ever.

It seems to me that the state guvs want to make it harder for us to escape this kind of blatant thievery....
It's unaustralian it's that simple mate. Gerry Harvey would roll in his grave. He and his mates are the only ones allowed to source cheap stock overseas and distribute locally ripping off the entire population of Australia, that's what being an Australian obviously means. They're a different species to you and me, they're the only ones who are allowed the privaledge according to them.
Old 17-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #39
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Old 17-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
But not retail business
True, but any business has to move with the times. The internet is not going away. And internet retailers are here to stay. Over the counter jobs will be replaced by jobs in logistics and to a certain degree IT industries. IT industries probably in India.... Most (not all) retailers have their heads in the sand.

Just about a month ago I was looking at a new television. The model I wanted was around the 8K mark over the net. I went down to the local Harvey Norman store and to my surprise their price was only about $800 more. I ordered one. Two weeks after the order still no television.... I got the run around and told three different stories from three different people but still no television. Luckily I only paid $100 deposit to secure the order.

I told them to forget about it. I now have a new television, exactly the one I wanted and it was here in four days. Even when brick and mortar retailers get the chance they all too often stuff it up. I have little sympathy for them.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Oh you all have a cry... Called into my local radiator place yesterday.. he had closed down.. be damned all you eBay bargain hunters...
He was awesome / cheap / local / custom mods no probs
Times be a changin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb_and_Co#Demise

I'm sure everyone loved talking to the coach operator and he was a great bloke and all that. Damn Fords.
Old 17-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #42
BHDOGS
Banned

Yes times are changing globalization is wonderful when its helping you save money not taking your job away thats why Australians are selfish.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Car parts are definitely an area where you can save huge money buying online. Besides eBay, you can buy entire top of the line twin turbo kits from the states for half the price of one lesser turbo locally. Luxury wheels brands as well, save huge buying direct. In this day and age where houses are ridiculously overpriced, fuel, gas, power, water prices keep going up there's nothing wrong with looking for a bargain where you can. Australia is just a stupidly overpriced country in general.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #44
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR View Post
It's unaustralian it's that simple mate. Gerry Harvey would roll in his grave. He and his mates are the only ones allowed to source cheap stock overseas and distribute locally ripping off the entire population of Australia, that's what being an Australian obviously means. They're a different species to you and me, they're the only ones who are allowed the privaledge according to them.
Bunnings and Supercheap are no different do you shop there ? Cheap chinese crap sold at seemly cheap prices but your paying way more than 10% mark up . Closer to 100 % but no one seems to have an issue with the local hardware store closing when they THINK their getting a bargain .
Bunnings also screw the local suppliers by demanding stock control and refilling of shelves be done by the supplier , not their staff . Not a bad set up and you still have the privilege of being treated like the invisible man when it suits them .
It amazes me the thousands of people who would rather shop at bunnings rather than the local hardware considering that the 2-5 people working there do EVERYTHING and if they have the time they will kiss your **** if you ask nicely . Ask someone at Bunnings and you will be told you will find that in the plumbing section .
As for those believing you could run a business on 10 % mark up on anything you would have to buy it at $10 and sell it at $12.10 and sell 700 of them in a week to make minimum wage , before rent , transport costs and everything else . So you best be a willing little worker who doesn't take sickie to afford to eat .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A work mate of mine has a friend who was diagnosed with sleep apnea recently. The clinic gave him the model of machine he needed to buy - went to the supplier (local chemist, I believe) where it was $2500. The guy decided to hire one for $100 or so first to make sure it was going to help, and then he did a search on ebay and found one, brand new, delivered from Texas in the USA, to his door for $1000. Gets it after 8 days, opens the box - "Made in Sydney, Australia". This is why we buy online - he markup by retailers in this country is criminal. The manufacturer is still making the same money regardless of where it's being sent/sold, but local businesses will miss out on sales unless they wake up to themselves and compete with the global market. Kmart have changed their policy to get more volume at lower individual profit and guess what, their sales and profits are both up - a lesson there somwwhere that others NEED to learn from to stay alive in this economy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Tough one lads but what I now am hooked on is the variety of goods now available on the web.

I have bought stuff online retailers couldn't even dream about selling as a product line.

An example from the weekend. Looking for 6 litres of Mobil S 2000 5w30 on Saturday just a basic semi synth oil. 7 stores visited all the major and minor auto suppliers not 1 litre anywhere. Standard response we can order be in hopefully in a week. Ordered on line on Sunday night delivered today. And purchased another 12 litres for the next 2 services.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #47
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
True, but any business has to move with the times. The internet is not going away. And internet retailers are here to stay. Over the counter jobs will be replaced by jobs in logistics and to a certain degree IT industries. IT industries probably in India.... Most (not all) retailers have their heads in the sand.

Just about a month ago I was looking at a new television. The model I wanted was around the 8K mark over the net. I went down to the local Harvey Norman store and to my surprise their price was only about $800 more. I ordered one. Two weeks after the order still no television.... I got the run around and told three different stories from three different people but still no television. Luckily I only paid $100 deposit to secure the order.

I told them to forget about it. I now have a new television, exactly the one I wanted and it was here in four days. Even when brick and mortar retailers get the chance they all too often stuff it up. I have little sympathy for them.
Poor fella ,your $8800 Tv didn't turn up on time but now you got it , thank god for that . Did you realise next year you could have bought that same tv for $5000 . Not bad a out of pocket 3000 but as you have said you know how to look after your pennies , classic .
Old 17-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #48
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Poor fella ,your $8800 Tv didn't turn up on time but now you got it , thank god for that . Did you realise next year you could have bought that same tv for $5000 . Not bad a out of pocket 3000 but as you have said you know how to look after your pennies , classic .
I don't think an 80 inch will drop by that much.

With the dollar going down it might actually cost more.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #49
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Clearly you missed the point of his post. He stated due to it only being a $800 difference on an $8k product he was willing to go local. But the locals screwed him around whereas buying online was cheaper and they actually sent him the product. Wasn't about money, but rather service. Some people act like all people you actually physically deal with are classy, well organized, people friendly people, that's rarely the case. Its just somebody there to get a paycheck you're dealing with.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #50
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have sat back and had think about this and it goes a lot deeper than some people realise . The costs involved in performing business in this country is not cheap . I personally don't know what it costs per sq. mtr. to lease a shed in the states but at the moment Brisbane is asking $80 for basic b grade stock . Now if you wish to hold a decent level of stock ( if you are an importer and lets face it that is what most products are ) you will require a minimum of 500 sq mtrs so there is 40k ( more likely higher though ) . You then pay rates , utilities and have to buy/lease pallet racking , a forklift and maybe a ute/truck of some kind . All good where up and rolling . Hang on I can't do this all by myself so I have to employ someone , minimum wage gets monkeys so above award at $22 . That doesn't sound like much but after you add super , workcover , payroll tax and sickies you end up paying $30 plus .
Obviously overseas competitors don't have the level of overheads , however if anyone here is willing to help cutting them down feel free to apply . It's easy if you run for the next election and try and change policy or simply come and work with me for what a lot of people would call peanuts .
On the other hand you can continue the way you are and hoping you don't have to live on rice . Peanuts are expensive !
The morale of this story is while it is VERY attractive to buy online at present , in the end it is only going to hurt the consumer in the long run when they have no choice but to purchase that way . No competition = higher prices .
Old 18-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #51
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I don't think an 80 inch will drop by that much.

With the dollar going down it might actually cost more.
Technology will supersede it in no time whether you have 80 inches of high tech wizardry today it is guaranteed to droop with old age .
Old 18-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #52
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Clearly you missed the point of his post. He stated due to it only being a $800 difference on an $8k product he was willing to go local. But the locals screwed him around whereas buying online was cheaper and they actually sent him the product. Wasn't about money, but rather service. Some people act like all people you actually physically deal with are classy, well organized, people friendly people, that's rarely the case. Its just somebody there to get a paycheck you're dealing with.
I agree , to me customer service IS a given to being a successful business, and yes too few show it , and not knowing the O.P personally and having a stab in the dark about the circumstances of buying $8000 dollar T.V in Alice Springs led me to thinking how could you get a tv in 4 days out there from overseas . They couldn't have used any local transport surely it would still be coming .
Old 18-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #53
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day if you buy from China thats Aussie $'s out of australia that cant make its way back into your pocket when the guy you bought it off come to you for your services.

The more money that stays in and keeps circulating (known as the money cycle) in Aus the cheaper things are and the easier it is for us to pay off debt. Thats why people that hold onto money are part of the problem, as it acts as a clot in the system.

This is why people in the automotive industry are losing jobs as people have sent money out of Aus buying BMWs

Your naive if you think your job wont be affected by buying overseas goods for cheap. So think about your job before you buy over seas. All industries are linked in one way or another...

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #54
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Technology will supersede it in no time whether you have 80 inches of high tech wizardry today it is guaranteed to droop with old age .

Yep....but the egg timer of one's life is running out.

You can enjoy life or be a shoulda/woulda/gunna type of person.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #55
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_GSUte View Post
At the end of the day if you buy from China thats Aussie $'s out of australia that cant make its way back into your pocket when the guy you bought it off come to you for your services.

The more money that stays in and keeps circulating (known as the money cycle) in Aus the cheaper things are and the easier it is for us to pay off debt. Thats why people that hold onto money are part of the problem, as it acts as a clot in the system.

This is why people in the automotive industry are losing jobs as people have sent money out of Aus buying BMWs

Your naive if you think your job wont be affected by buying overseas goods for cheap. So think about your job before you buy over seas. All industries are linked in one way or another...
The problem is the Australian market just isn't competitive with anything outside of Australia. Buying Aussie made just for the sake of it can lead to buying inferior/lessor products. Unless Australian manufacturing can provide all things in all markets theres always going to be money going offshore. When it comes to anything electrical, high end cars like BMWs, Mercs, etc. there's nothing built in Australia that comes close. And its been that way for a long, long time, we've always focused here on providing just one or two products, never a full range.
Old 18-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #56
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hardware
For hardware, i try and buy local if i can and most times is comparible or cheaper then bunnings and better quality. Service of course better.

Bunnings does have that opening hours convenience though which with my shifts does please me.

However some parts i use ebay or online stores, from Aust. For example tried to buy from hardware local and bunnings and specialist store and no go, but aussie ebayer store selling them and great price.

Happy to help deal with them.

Car parts
Also for car parts, some of my engine parts i buy from a local store which has a presence on ebay also. On the occasions i have bought from them, postage been slower then expected, but happy to deal with them.
Mind you, they are far cheaper then the dealership so happy to wait a fraction longer.

Computer
Computer gear I have my local comp store i got to or online stores.

Mobile phone parts/accessories
Usually buy mine from China, UK or USA
Went down the 'buy local' on these and notice the same product bought online and waited 20days for $2.30 costs $29.99 in the store.

Sometimes same product, just with retail packaging costing a small fortune.
Mobile tech retail is seriously a big rip in Australia.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #57
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit the “none in stock” is a bit of a ****er. One of the traditional arguments was that car makers and their dealers had to carry a lot of inventory, such that you could go into a dealer and get practically any part for any car up to a decade old. Whereas 3rd party suppliers could simply cherry pick the most popular and profitable items. That argument nolonger holds water.

Really, this is just another example of companies failing to adapt to the changing world. Gouging customers on spare parts has long been seen as a vital contributor to the profit margins of makers and dealers. There is now simply too much competition. For a while there, there was a bit of a split in the ranks. There were those dealers that drove huge spare parts departments on the back of ultra-competitive margins, and they would be supplying mechanics up and down the suburbs. Then there were those that adopted the “screw you” attitude and stuck to their high prices. Unfortunately in Perth now, the majority of dealers are owned by AHG.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #58
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

But bunnings have a sausage sizzle.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hahahah

I recently learnt the hard way about buying cheap, and failing to research..

Found an electric deep drop winch for US 1700. Yeh! the same one locally is Aud3000.

So, spur of the moment, without thinking, I whip down to the bank, arrange wire transfer and its mine.

40 to my bank for the transfer.
26 to the other bank for receiving the same transfer.
Exchange rate 2 cents less than the actual rate.
freight charge of 350.
GST, custom Clearance 330.
Total cost, pretty well bang on 3 grand. LOL.

But the seller included a few bits and pieces totalling several hundred bucks for about 1/2 their advertised price, so that made me feel better.

BUT, if I hadn't done a spur of the moment purchase driven by greed and the expectation I was getting a great deal, I'd have realised that buying the local one would have been easier, helped locals and made me feel no guilt.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #60
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

And what happens if there's any warranty problem, Tex?