Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Read Post Bellow First, What Vehicles Are Overstyled or Even Ugly
Both E3 HSV & FG FPV 11 7.33%
E3 HSV Only 102 68.00%
FG FPV Only 14 9.33%
Neither ..... they both look great 23 15.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #31
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Styling of E3 and FG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Better to be overdone than underdone like the FG GT which looks like just another fleet spec XR6 from 20 metres away.
No need to get upset .... as said, all subjective and each to their own. And the fact we are all on a FORD site .... bias will prevail.

Least those in a HSV can read the GT badge on my bum and know they have just been

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Better to be overdone than underdone like the FG GT which looks like just another fleet spec XR6 from 20 metres away.
Try putting your glasses on, or take a visit to OPSM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #33
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

FPV under styled and the HSV is Over styled.

Fairy lights or Foggies and the rear Bar have to go on the HSV. FPV have to get rid of the Racoon eyes, redesign front and rear bar, and they should be alright.

Oh, one big win for the HSV over the FPV for me, is the design layout of the interior.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #34
Motorbreath310

I think the VE Series II SSV is the best looking car GMH currently have. One of those with a brake and suspension upgrade, E3 oracle cluster and GTS interior would be tops.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #35
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
AH ... see? There's the thing. No way could you take a bad pic of an FG GT
Clearly spoken by a highly educated gentleman with impeccable taste!!
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #36
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I've thought HSV's have been over styled since VY.
Seems that's what their customers want though.
When was the last time you saw a Force eight or GTE?
Nice looking car but long popular.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #37
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the tail lights on the HSVs. the senator is my choice out of them. The FPVs front end looks alot better then all the HSVs if you ask me. so i voted neither as i dont mind the tail lights on the HSV. but if i had too chose between them hands down FG FPV. now the hard choice for me would be a turbo 6 or a supercharged V8
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

SSV taillights are way better then the HSV ones...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #39
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Hmmm this without raccoon eyes and bonnet vents. . . . . (Dreams are Free*sigh*)

2 lots of Family Friends have E2 GTS both will not upgrade their cars (which both have leaking MRC Shocks NZ$7K to fix ) to the E3 as It looks "hideous", Their words not mine.

And there is definitely no chance of this ever happening. . . . F6 Motor in this

Last edited by 99AUXR; 02-05-2012 at 11:46 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My neighbours a die hard HSV man... hes had a few of them... Currently driving a VE1 GTS.. even he refuses to buy a new E3 GTS.... I think he will dump HSV and go for a euro next.

I am happy with my FG GT, the interior was a bit shithouse until I bought G6E Turbo black dash spears, but the outside is perfect, not over done, not so underdone it looks like an XR6.

Ford still needs to fix the FPV interior even in the current MK2... Its just too bland with those silver dash spears... they need the piano finish.... aka black edition!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

First time I saw the E3 I thought it was to promote the new Transformers movie at the time... until I rolled past a Holden dealership...
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #42
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I see you conveniently chose the worst photo you could possibly find, which is obviously manipulated to make it look bad.

Here is a proper photo

just as ugly as the other photo
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #43
No.6

i dont hate the front end of the E3 but i dont exactly love it either. Leds are too long, nostrils are WTF but i do like the black highlight grill they have going. Rear end is butt ugly. The 'nuclear' mag wheels i actually do like them and wish FPV would be as outrageous in their wheel design.

The FPV's i like the look of them but sometimes i do wish they had a little more oomph visually. I like the racoon eyes! it gives the car personality and the beloved nickname racoon! But i must agree it does look better on the F6E and GTE. Interior could do with some more bling though...for a car that cutomers pay substantially more coin you'd expect a bit more from FPV. HSV owns FPV in the gadget department thats for sure.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #44
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I agree but for substantial coin which the FPVs arent really you are just paying for a motor. To get that sort of motor/power in a car with lots of gadgets you would be looking over NZ$100k, I may be wrong so am open to corrections.

In saying that I don't necessarily think its the correct market strategy especially for todays market, not everyone wants just a power house anymore.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #45
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion HSV's best styled car was the VX range. Im not HSV but a nice clean one doesnt look half bad. The VY was the lowest of lows, VZ wasnt much better and the VE s1 was good but anything after is crapola.
The FG has much more cohesive style, if a little underdone.

Last edited by andrich; 20-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Owned an E1 Clubsport. My pick of the lot. Loved the look from every angle.

Prefer the F6 front to the GT front. Loved the bulge in the B series but not sure if I grew tired of it in the V8 FG's (though the GTE's front bar removes a lot of what I don't like in the GT's front) or just have a preference for leaner look in the F6. Initially hated the raccoon eyes but now could take it or leave it. Today, would overlook my slight dislike of the front to own the GT. If I had a few more bucks, would go the GTE.

The E2/E3 to me is ugly from the front and the back and I also don't like any of the wheels. Would never own one.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #47
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never been a fan of the ve body shape full stop, the rear end looks cut off, the flares are hilux spec, have a look around car parks and see how many ve`s have the protruding flares with scrapes on them, the performance models to me in the front look just over the top, there`s no room for any more crap in the front of the car,
maybe they could wack some scoops or something on the doors, perhaps a spoiler on the roof? maybe room for some neons bro? it looks like a king size ricer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #48
69Mach1

E3 butt ugly, they screwed up the much better looking E1 IMO. FG GT very nice but I prefer the XR headlights on GS.
69Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #49
Ibo
Force Fed Ford

The FPV range is understyled. From 20+meters away they look like any other XR6.

I don't mind the racoon eyes on the FPV, but it only works with certain colours (Black, White, Red)

I think the standard FPV, especially F6 range should be a little.. more.. Not over the top like the E3 but a healthy medium. There is already the GT-E and F6-E for those who want an understated performance car.

Oh, and Ford should put the V8 buldge bonnet on all cars in the FPV range, not just the 8's.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #50
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
No need to get upset .... as said, all subjective and each to their own. And the fact we are all on a FORD site .... bias will prevail.

Least those in a HSV can read the GT badge on my bum and know they have just been
Who's upset? I honestly couldn't give a ***** even if I tried.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #51
Uwish

LOL at all the one badge ******* on here.

I looked at a White E3 Senator on teh weekend and by far it is streets ahead of anything FPV/Ford have to offer.
Only thing stopping he is the Engine choice :(
I might wait to see what is on offer mid next year, but the FG is boring compared to HSV. BUT I only like the Senators styling not the GTS.
FPV / Ford should step up their game when it comes to Wheel styles and interiors
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish
LOL at all the one badge ******* on here.

I looked at a White E3 Senator on teh weekend and by far it is streets ahead of anything FPV/Ford have to offer.
Only thing stopping he is the Engine choice :(
I might wait to see what is on offer mid next year, but the FG is boring compared to HSV. BUT I only like the Senators styling not the GTS.
FPV / Ford should step up their game when it comes to Wheel styles and interiors
Ford site? And you expected something different ...... seriously ??

When you buy an FG 335 you KNOW you have bought the most powerfully produced engine to come out of any factory in Aus so far and a good package that suits its 70k price tag down to the ground. You KNOW where the money went. Into developing this absolute ball tearer of an engine meanwhile the interior is by my expectations good and the exterior is great.

Looks, driving, expectations and the reasons why someone buys something is extremely subjective. Don't expect this NOT to be leaning towards those who have a bit of a passion for the Ford brand. Like the HSV ..... no probs but don't crap on those who come here to enjoy their passion.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 03-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #53
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Really guys...even tho i have my own opinion...were talking about HOLDEN supporters here....they would buy it if it was the biggest pile of crap in history because thats what fans do (particuly aus holden fans) ...and tell themselves it looks great.

My opinion is FORD have it SPOT on....nice euro like styling with nothing to overboard or offensive with nice lines. . Anyone who calls the FPV UGLY or OVERDONE is..as ive said before just plain biased and a troll....the Hsvs on the other hand have cause to be flogged for there looks....lots of bling.lights bulges and plastic..and thats a fact.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #54
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Really guys...even tho i have my own opinion...were talking about HOLDEN supporters here....they would buy it if it was the biggest pile of crap in history because thats what fans do (particuly aus holden fans) ...and tell themselves it looks great.

My opinion is FORD have it SPOT on....nice euro like styling with nothing to overboard or offensive with nice lines. . Anyone who calls the FPV UGLY or OVERDONE is..as ive said before just plain biased and a troll....the Hsvs on the other hand have cause to be flogged for there looks....lots of bling.lights bulges and plastic..and thats a fact.
What a god awful post.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #55
b2tf
not here much anymore

Good thread this one.

A mates dad has an E3 GTS, black, and the thing looks mean. Mean as in get out of my way mean. And I like it.

Would I buy one? Maybe, but if I did the first thing to go would be the DRL's. Disconnect and paint over them.

As for FPV, I think they got it perfect with BF, they were great looking cars, clean, sleek and tough. When I first saw the FG with it's racoon eyes, I absolutely loathed it. Thought it looked cheap and half assed. It has grown on me now, would I buy one - yeah probably but I would paint over the racoon eyes like the GTE. If they made a V8 G series I would probably pick that over the FPV if it were based solely on looks.

Its probably not that they are 'overstyled' but rather that they are heading in a new direction that isn't what we are used to seeing. Remember that the designers have to respond to what they think we the potential buyers want, and I think Ive lost count of how many times I've seen our locally made cars compared to the Europeans that DO have vents and lights and humps and curves. You can't blame them for trying, you dont have to always like their efforts but you can appreciate the looks of the cars as they develop over time.

For me the best looking FPV ever is the Force6 or 8, and the best HSV is the VZ Maloo. Love 'em.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #56
Chopped
as in chopped

I thought the E1 HSV looked good. I remember thinking "that looks tough" when I first saw one. HSV were clever to change the rear lights and give a the car a unique look. It eliminated (mostly) all of the HSV clones that affected the previous models (Tarted up, Fully Sic, 6 cyl Omegas and SV6s with HSV kits etc.)

The E3 stylling is just too unique though, it's ugly !!

Whack some GT stripes on an XR6 and most will think it's an FPV at first glance.
I know FPV don't have the funds to waste on different looks and the performance speaks for itself. But I feel they should try to give it a unique look to protect the brand from wannabes.

BA and particularly the BF series GTs were FPVs best lookers IMO.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #57
WASP
Whipple Induced

I love the E series HSVs styling wise. The E3 rear bar is an eye soar however but they do have a muscle car like road presence whether you like them or not. I felt the same way about the B series FPVs but the FG series have lost something. That said, I do like them and they can be made to look tough. If I am honest I just think they lack some subtle but desirable features. They could do with more aggressive body sculpturing to separate them from the main stream range. Think AMG Black or the Subaru STI.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

There is a SS in town, with the SSV lights, Normal SS body kit and HSV gaurds...

And it looks tough!

I think the rear lights on the HSV's are just there, to be there. If anything, they make the rear end droopy and confused, combined with the E2-3 bar, and it looks like a melted ice-cream cone.

The E1 Senitor was a good looker (unless it came in the two tone...ugh), as was the E1 grange...

The FPV F6-E and GT-E are definantly the best looking out there at the moment...just oozes class.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #59
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
There is a SS in town, with the SSV lights, Normal SS body kit and HSV gaurds...

And it looks tough!

I think the rear lights on the HSV's are just there, to be there. If anything, they make the rear end droopy and confused, combined with the E2-3 bar, and it looks like a melted ice-cream cone.

The E1 Senitor was a good looker (unless it came in the two tone...ugh), as was the E1 grange...

The FPV F6-E and GT-E are definantly the best looking out there at the moment...just oozes class.

I agree the E1 Senator was def an amazing looking car. Although I had my doubts when I saw a Blue over black two tone Senator around town, but how can you not love the look of this:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=tw...9&tx=116&ty=63
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #60
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE

fords over done its fugly, happy now
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post