Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I think a mid-sized sedan will not succeed. Mondeo failed,

The mondeo with a boss v8 will not fail...but is it practical?
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #32
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Well considering Australia and NZ have many roadside obsticles such as Gum trees and power poles, I'm surprised that full length side curtain airbags are not standard in every model from Fiesta to LTD. And yet in Europe these items are standard equipment in even the most basic of trims.

Even more compelling is that research from the US and Europe have shown that side curtain airbags combined with chest/thorax side airbags where fitted have cut the fatality rate by almost 50%.

Since the BA was launched in 2002, NZ spec models from the Futura upwards (incl XR range) have all had side airbags as standard.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #33
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

If you are thinking about the current Mondeo as a possible Aussie mid-sizer then forget it. It's old.

However the next generation Mondeo (if its even called Mondeo?) should be out late this year or 2006. Apparently it will be very different looking to the current car and some have suggested that it will look like a cross between the Audi A6 (roofline/doors) and the Ford 427 concept/Fusion front end.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #34
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

How about bringing back the Falcon 500, instead of XT of Forte. It is just a name change but the base model names have been nothin but ordinary. The 370kw GTHO would be awesome!!! I'd drop the Mondeo and bring a new model line up in for mid-sized.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #35
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
How about bringing back the Falcon 500, instead of XT of Forte. It is just a name change but the base model names have been nothin but ordinary. The 370kw GTHO would be awesome!!! I'd drop the Mondeo and bring a new model line up in for mid-sized.
Don't really think the Falcon 500 will win many fans. For those of us old enough to remember what they are (were), I think Ford will want to distance themselves from that as far as possible.

A Falcon 500 to me, means a bare bones, hose out interior, with standard asthmatic engine, handling dynamics of a paddle steamer and the fuel consumption of a top fuel dragster.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
Dez
Banned

not to mention the fact that i cant think of anything the 500 refers to with current models....lil help?
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #37
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Vectra also failed for Holden back when it started at $24990. It was built here for a short time and they pulled the pin.
Vectra was pulled from aussie production to allow Holden to concentrate on its export program for commodore.

Quote:
I don't think Ford has the resources and money to build a mid-sized car and there is nothing out there that would compete $ for $ with what's already here (Honda, Mazda etc).
Modeo failed because it was supposed to be Ford's world car, and for Australia, it was quite bland, and over-priced due to our import tarriffs on european made cars. The car still sells in NZ. If ford needed a mid sized car, then the best option would be to re-launch the Telstar by borrowing (again) the Mazda 6 - which seems to be quite a successful mid sized car lately.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #38
parawolf
beep beep

I'd like to see a 2005 Mustang entertained. 4.6Litre V8 only, manual only, high spec interior only for about $66k -> $72k + ORC
Old 07-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #39
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

What id like to see

xr6- Power up to 200 kw and get the 6 speed.

Xr6t- Power up to 260kw

xr8- Power up to 290kw

Fpv gt- Power up to 340kw

Typhoon - Power up to 300kw

Gtho?- 380kw?

Also more standard options in xr lineup like leather as standard.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #40
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Focus RS Cosworth please. Nothing less than 300hp with AWD or don't even bother. Not at all. Not for one second. Don't even think about it.

Fairmont Ghia Turbo - needs no explanation.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #41
Lord Porky

Re-introduce the Cortina I say!! :

Give a little competition to the rice-burners... I'd love an Aussie rice-burner type car!
3 Litre V6 oughta do it.... out:

I realise the Focus could be modified to do this, but seriously, the Cortina was an awesome beast!
Of course, you could always drag those pathetic Skylines in an FPV, but still, I have to admit, the V8's just don't handle the same way as a Skyline :(
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #42
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Vectra was pulled from aussie production to allow Holden to concentrate on its export program for commodore.
So the story goes...

I know a product planner who lost his job (probably one of many) out of the Vectra plan.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
Well and good to finesse the existing line-up, but what about the blindingly obvious need for a mid-size car? Something locally made and rear drive would be nice but even a rebadged Mazda 6 would be better than nothing.
The Mondeo would fit the bill. The new models supposed to be a great car. They sell them in NZ so why don't they sell them here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #44
RATT

In the long term Ford Australia need to possibly look at developing a mid-sized car based on Falcon. More efficient packaging that doesn't require the wheelbase Falcon has and still maintain a reasonable amount of interior space. I can see an end to the popularity of Falcon/ Commodore sized vehicle with the fleet market and Ford need to be prepared for this.
Combine this with the use of lighter materials to reduce fuel consumption and Ford could lead the way, but once again I am talking long term as I don't see a mid-sized car being successful, ie large volume, in the near future. It should always be on the back of their minds.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #45
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
So the story goes...

I know a product planner who lost his job (probably one of many) out of the Vectra plan.
Yeah, I've also been told that Holden was being sent superceeded parts from Europe
Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #46
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

This is taken straight from the thread I started on the other fordforums a few weeks back. This is what I want to see on the new falcon range....

To start the range I don't think much should change. The XT should keep the 182kw/380nm 6 as I don't believe it needs more power for a base model. XT should come with a 4 speed auto or 5 speed T5. The optional V8 should have 250kw SOHC 5.4 with the 4 speed auto or 6 speed T56. All sedans should come with control blade IRS and utes with live axle leaf spring as per previous models.

XR6 should get a 190kw/390nm (with red rocker cover) donk, with a 3.46 LSD standard and option 4 speed auto or 5 speed T5. It should also get Territory spec brakes standard. Fairmont, fairmont ghia and fairlane ghia should all have the XR6 running gear standard (excluding manual option) but optional 250kw V8 with 6 speed auto optional. Fairmont ghia and Fairlane ghia should have a 250kw XR6T engine as an option, which comes with a 6 speed auto optional aswell. LTD should get the 250kw V8 and 6 speed auto standard, with all the fruit and rear screens in the headrest (like Caprice).

Territory should get bigger spec brakes to XT, and vented rear rotors like the previous model. All other options should be the same as per Falcon range. TX gets the base engine, TS should get the XR6 engine and the Ghia should get the xr6 engine, LSD, and optional XR6T motor. Maybe even one of those TDCI V6's from jaguar. I don't know enough about the diesel market to really comment though.

XR6T and XR8 should get a 250kw/460nm 6 and a 280kw/515nm 5.4 Quad cam V8 respectively. Standard brakes should be the twin piston 325mm front/single piston 303mm rear set up that is currently optional on the XR range (excluding na XR6) and standard on the fpv range (excluding GT with the brembo standard). Transmissions should be 6 speed manual or 6 speed ZF auto. 3.46 diff for XR8, 3.73 for XR6T. Wheels should be 18" wheels standard with 245/40/18 rubber.

FPV should should start the range with a 300kw/580nm F6 Typhoon and tornado. There should also be an AWD territory with the F6 spec running gear but auto only. GT, GT-P and Pursuit should get a 320kw/550nm 5.4 quad cam with variable valve timing. Across the range standard should be brembos, 3.73 final drive and a T56 6 speed manual with a twin plate clutch or ZF 6 speed auto as well as 19" wheels. Tyres should be 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear. Optional should be Koni adjustable suspension, while GT-P should get them standard.

Now for Ford/FPV's flagship model. It should have no less than 350kw standard. Lets just say I'd be happy to see a 360kw/640nm 5.4 Quad cammer normally aspirated with everything. VCT, Cobra R internals (or similar) with billet steel rods, forged steel crank so it can rev to 6800rpm atleast! free flowing quad exhaust exhaust, big mouth CAI, u/drive pulleys and maybe even a twin TB set up. The ford racing parts catalogue from the states will have it all so theres no excuse! Standard equiptment should see a specially prepaired 3.91 final drive diff, T56 with cermaic twin plate clutch or (cringe) ZF 6 speed auto with strogner internals, Koni adjustables suspension, 6 piston (brembo/AP racing or whoever else is available) brakes.

Weight saving measures should see carbon fibre panels (bonnet, wing, guards) amoung other things. Recarro bucket seats with leather and suede and body coloured stitching and inserts. It should still come with all the fruit, same options as the GT-P. Wheels should be 19" all round with specially made michelin pilot sport rubber 265/35/19 front and 295/35/19 rear.

As for naming a big beast like this, I am still unsure. I don't know about anyone else, but id be nervous to ever use the GTHO name. Maybe a car like mine would live up to the name. But then it would suck if holden came out with a 7 litre 375kw donk and blew it out of the water. Maybe it should be kept a little safer and let the GTHO name really RIP.

And now you wonder about pricing? Well I expect them to go up by 2% ateast. I beleive that all the performance cars need the brake upgrade, and if it's a little extra charge on consumer, then so be it. As for the flagship, I would see soemthing like that only sold in limited numbers, and not really a profit making prospect. I beleive with all that it offers, charging atleast $110,000 is not unfair, and I am sure alot of guys on here would be interested in it!

So in summary, the following is the range and list of optional and standard equiptment I think would be suffucent for the next model Falcon and FPV:

XT: Engine: 182kw/380nm or optional 250kw/480nm twin cam V8. Transmission: 4 speed auto/5 speed manual or T56 with V8 option. Diff: 3.23 open diff or LSD.

Futura: All above excluding v8 and manual options.

XR6 n/a: Engine: 190kw/190nm IL6. Transmission: 4 speed auto/5 speed manual. Brakes: Territory spec. Diff: 3.46 LSD.

Fairmont: Engine: As per XT or optional XR6 or V8. Transmission: 4 speed or 6 speed auto (V8 only option). Brakes: Territory spec. Diff: As per XT and optional LSD 3.23:1.

Fairmont/Fairlane Ghia: XR6 engine or optional XR6T or SOHC V8. Transmission: 4 speed auto or optional 6 speed when optioning either XR6T or V8. Brakes: Territory spec. Diff: 3.46 LSD

Territory: TX: As per XT without V8 option and 3.73 (rwd) and 4.11(awd). TS: As per Faimont excluding V8 option. Ghia: As per Ghia sedans excluding V8 option.

XR6T: Engine: 250kw/460nm Turbo IL6. Transmission: 6 speed manual T56 or 6 speed XF Auto. Brakes: 325(front)/303(rear) Diff: 3.73:1. Wheels: 18x8 with 245/40/18 rubber.

XR8: Engine: 280kw/515nm Quad cam V8. Transmission: As per XR6T (different ratios to match different final drive). Brakes: As per XR6T. Diff: 3.46:1. Wheels: As per XR6T.

F6 Typhoon & Tornado and Territory: 300kw/580nm Turbo IL6. Tranmission: T56 with AP racing twin plate clutch (unavailable on Territory) or ZF 6 speed auto. Brakes: 4 piston Brembos. Diff: 3.73:1. Wheels: 19" with 245/35/19 (front) and 275/35/19 (rear) rubber. Suspension: Koni adjustable option.

GT: Engine: 320kw/550nm Quad Cam V8. Transmission: T56 with AP racing twin plate clutch or ZF Auto. Brakes: 4 piston brembos. Diff: 3.73:1 Wheels: 19" with 245/35/19 (front) and 275/35/19 (rear) rubber. Suspension: Koni adjustable option.

Pursuit: Engine: 320kw/550nm Quad Cam V8. Transmission: T56 with AP racing twin plate clutch or ZF Auto. Brakes: 4 piston brembos. Diff: 3.73:1 Wheels: 19" with 245/35/19 (front) and 275/35/19 (rear) rubber. Suspension: Koni adjustable option.

GT-P: Engine: 320kw/550nm Quad Cam V8. Transmission: T56 with AP racing twin plate clutch or ZF Auto. Brakes: 4 piston brembos. Diff: 3.73:1 Wheels: 19" with 245/35/19 (front) and 275/35/19 (rear) rubber. Suspension: Koni adjustable standard.

Flagship (yet to be named): Engine: 360kw/640nm Quad cam V8. Transmission: T56 with ceramic twin plate clutch or ZF Auto with stronger internals. Brakes: 6 piston (brembo or AP racing). Diff: 3.91:1 Wheels: 19" with 265/35/19 (front) and 295/35/19 (rear) michelin piloot sport rubber. Suspension: Koni adjustables.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #47
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

As for other models, I'd like to see Ford have a Turbocharged focus, and FPV to have a 300+hp Turbocharged AWD focus. FPV LWB would be nice too. Otherwise, if everything else from the above happened I'd be happy.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #48
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

From where I am looking at the moment, the biggest challenges facing FoA are the small and medium sized segments. The Falcon may well be beaten on a regular basis by the Holden rival but it is at least making reasonable voulme.

The Fiesta and Focus, however, are being mercilessly ravaged by the competition and in a segment that represents a growing sector of the market whereas the large car sector continues to drop.

The Fiesta is a good little jigger with a lively engine and a nice chassis but it is hampered by pricing that puts it out of the running on most shopping lists. It needs a good 1.5-2k off it's RRP to have any chance.

The Focus is equally overpriced in the segment but is further hampered by an asthmatic range of engines that let down an otherwise capable vehicle.

Beyond that the LWB range needs a serious dose of major value adding surgery in perceived value, if nothing else. The interior needs to be lifted about 10 notches away from the Falcon if they are ever going to sell in anything like reasonable numbers. This is a segment that is all about pampering features and the present pair have next to nothing to offer in that regard.

The rest is just twiddling - I am sure the Territory will remain a mainstay for the next few years and hopefully our friends at Ford marketing won't manage to stuff that one up.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #49
BLKFPV
true blue from "The BOG"

I'd like to see a stronger small to mid sized car line up

along with a soft top territory

the boss family , bring on 320-360kw with a soft s/c

and finally "the GT40" or some other exotic at the top of the tree (way out of reach but keeping us jumping)

".... where having a FORD is all that matters"

not a 10sec car but a 2008 Bathurst 12 hour Race Car

(03) 9720 4448
to email click here
www.thebog.com.au

11/176 Canterbury Road BAYSWATER
BLKFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #50
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The Focus is equally overpriced in the segment but is further hampered by an asthmatic range of engines that let down an otherwise capable vehicle.
De-ja-vu. Just like every other small/medium Ford in the last 10 years. A great chassis let down by a crude/underpowered engine. Can you say Ka, Mondeo? There are not too many good engines in the global Ford world unfortunately. Ford are not known for their great powerplants. A shame really. They could be utilising the Japs so much more than they are now, seeing they own Mazda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Beyond that the LWB range needs a serious dose of major value adding surgery in perceived value, if nothing else.
Yes, I think the current Fairlane/LTD need a major facelift. I am constantly mistaking them for Falcons. They are not a pretty vehicle and look way too downmarket for their intended market.

It seems FoMoCoAus is the only Ford outfit churning out good vehicles, save the odd European unit.

The American stuff is rubbish.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
De-ja-vu. Just like every other small/medium Ford in the last 10 years. A great chassis let down by a crude/underpowered engine. Can you say Ka, Mondeo? There are not too many good engines in the global Ford world unfortunately. Ford are not known for their great powerplants. A shame really. They could be utilising the Japs so much more than they are now, seeing they own Mazda.
The new Focus due in March uses Mazda engines. The 2 litre will have around 110kw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #52
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

One thing I would like to see in all new fords.
An end to these infuriating and downright dangerous "Objects may be closer than they appear" left hand mirrors.
Ford seemed to adopt these as a me-too after GM and Mitsubishi fitted the darn things. They are crap!!!
Lose them tomorrow and you'll have one of the cheapest safety developments ever.

Hmm. me.. thinks maybe there is an aftermarket opportunity for this.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #53
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see the XR range expanded to include wagons and the territory... including engines.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #54
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
I'd like to see the XR range expanded to include wagons and the territory... including engines.

Before they do an XR wagon, they need to firstly get the gurus from the Canberra Fossil Museum to carbon date and identify what appears to be some kind of crude rear suspension system. Appears to be unique to wagon and utility variants.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #55
billyb35

Will the V10 transcend forums?

>>>>Page 4 and still no mention
billyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #56
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Before they do an XR wagon, they need to firstly get the gurus from the Canberra Fossil Museum to carbon date and identify what appears to be some kind of crude rear suspension system. Appears to be unique to wagon and utility variants.
I say option IRS, or have it as a delete option.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #57
The Mighty Red

The only thing I'd like to see is a serious lay down the law *** kicking proper GT FALCON. reading last months issue of motor was so depressing.
If ford cant bring out a model that wont toast a hsv then dont include the letters GT when naming it
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #58
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Capa have put a BOSS V8 into the Territory so it does fit!! Ford just have to drop it in...how hard can it be??

Ford needs to put a turbo diesel into the Fiesta and Focus.

Need to have performance models for the Fiesta and the Focus.

Falcon needs better brakes and less kg above all else!

Could they build a mid sized car based on the RX8 platform??

Territory needs a turbo diesel and well as the falcon range?? No one seems to be taking up the gas option??

Last edited by Cypher; 11-01-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #59
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
One thing I would like to see in all new fords.
An end to these infuriating and downright dangerous "Objects may be closer than they appear" left hand mirrors.
Ford seemed to adopt these as a me-too after GM and Mitsubishi fitted the darn things. They are crap!!!
Their actually convex mirrors that allow you to see more on the left had side of the car than a conventional mirror. I believe they have become an industry standard.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #60
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Their actually convex mirrors that allow you to see more on the left had side of the car than a conventional mirror. I believe they have become an industry standard.
Wouldn't matter if they could see impending asteroid attacks you'd still have no idea when they were going to hit you. It may be industry standard but its a damn silly standard. :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post