Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #31
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ebola

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
such a simplistic, in humane outlook on the topic

clap clap for you
I think it's your one liners that are a bit simplistic pottery. At the moment anybody can come from Africa and take the disease anywhere in the world.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #32
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
I think it's your one liners that are a bit simplistic pottery. At the moment anybody can come from Africa and take the disease anywhere in the world.
With America introducing screening at their main airports, no. They can't.
And don't think Ebola is all of Africa. It's three countries. And the amount of traffic coming from those three countries is miniscule. And mostly health workers who are equipped to prevent the spread of disease as best they can.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #33
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A so called 'low risk' Texas hospital worker has tested positive for Ebola after treating the first victim the previous week. What's worrying is that they were classified as a low risk for getting Ebola, how many other low risk people are their who are yet to show symptoms?
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I`m all for maximum safety protocol, anyone going over seas to risky areas thats wants back in , qaurantine baby.
i had swine flu once, i think i mentioned this once before as bird flu, i always get those mixed up(dementia o0).
Without any doubt the nastiest ailment i`ve ever had, i cant convey how bad it was, but all i can think of as a description is being body slammed by andre the giant 15 times, headaches, every single bone in the body aching, barely being able to breath, and non stop running nose for 5 or 6 weeks, and being drained of all energy, ever really thought about dying ???
I have no doubt ebola would be 3 times worse, its very easy to say oh its not so easy to catch ebola, , one person getting ailments like this is too much and thats my 2 bobs worth..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #35
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

All the previous knowledge seems to be contradicting events, incubation can be anywhere from 21 days to 42 days. Two deaths in Texas a third co-worker now has Ebola but not before she flew and potentially contaminated 131 people on a plane. Wonder where those other plan passengers are now and who they've be in contact with.

When Obama cancels his regular round of golf to get a briefing on Ebola then you know this is serious, nothing gets in the way of Obama and some green.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #36
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

That's right. This could get out of hand quickly.

Did anyone see Tanya Plibersek get totally owned on TV this morning discussing the Ebola crisis?

Very entertaining to watch.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this is going to get much much worse before it gets better, people these days jump on a plane and travel around world like just going to the super market.
Professional people still manage to get the disease despite having proper protective gear because they break protocol or make a mistake.

if person x doesn't know they have it and go about their business as usual and it takes as Cheap has posted 21 to 42 days to show its self, how many people could person X have made contact with in the meantime?
and by bodily fluids transmission apart from the obvious, i guess that also means having a cough near someone or sneezing in the general vicinity of someone could be a big problem ?
Old 17-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebola has been in existence since the 1970's.
Remember the AID's scare? People panicked believing the virus could survive on a dry plate and that the world was doomed.
Fear sells newspapers and makes people watch the news. There have been numerous movies made about deadly viruses that sweep across the globe.
Keeping things in perspective is important and I think that perspective was lost way back.
Think of all the other diseases in modern times that have threatened humans but failed to even destroy ca single country.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #39
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People still arnt taking it seriously enough in America by the sounds of it. A man in a shirt and pants was in a video taken of the Ebola infected nurse, standing within a meter or 2 of her, in casual clothing, while everyone else around wore protective suits. He is commonly being referred too now as clipboard guy, but I wonder whether it could have spread to him, and if so, how many hundreds of people will he have come into contact with by the time they work it out?
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #40
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's some good info here.....
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-1...-ebola/5803250
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #41
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
People still arnt taking it seriously enough in America by the sounds of it. A man in a shirt and pants was in a video taken of the Ebola infected nurse, standing within a meter or 2 of her, in casual clothing, while everyone else around wore protective suits. He is commonly being referred too now as clipboard guy, but I wonder whether it could have spread to him, and if so, how many hundreds of people will he have come into contact with by the time they work it out?
It depends. Haven't seen the video, but you only need to wear hazmat suits if you're going to have direct contact with the patient/close enough for patient to expel bodily fluids of any variety on you.
If "clipboard" guy was just standing in the corner checkin' boxes, doubt he'd have been at much risk, not only that, but I also doubt they'd let him run free if he did have any contact with the patient or their fluids.

Old 17-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #42
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
if person x doesn't know they have it and go about their business as usual and it takes as Cheap has posted 21 to 42 days to show its self, how many people could person X have made contact with in the meantime?
and by bodily fluids transmission apart from the obvious, i guess that also means having a cough near someone or sneezing in the general vicinity of someone could be a big problem ?
The CDC says the incubation period is 2-21 days, with the average time 8-10 days. Ebola is not an airborne disease, and although it's theoretically possible for it to be transmitted by a sneeze (if many things lined up just right), the WHO has never documented it spreading in this way. Almost all cases are from direct close contact with a patient. It can only be transmitted when a patient is showing symptoms.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #43
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
The CDC says the incubation period is 2-21 days, with the average time 8-10 days. Ebola is not an airborne disease, and although it's theoretically possible for it to be transmitted by a sneeze (if a lot of things lined up right), the WHO has never documented it spreading in this way. Almost all cases are from direct close contact with patients who are showing symptoms.
It's also not something that is transmitted before symptoms appear. You have to be physically ill before being able to share it.
I think this is a very important thing for people to realise.

Old 17-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #44
Juan Loco

I don't want to come across as cold or uncaring, but here's the thing.
People (including women and children) die every day from preventable diseases in 3rd world countries. Australia could and SHOULD do more by way of targeted foreign aid and direct intervention. By caring for and treating such people you could easily save their lives.

By contrast the number of people dying from Ebola is minuscule, and unfortunately the only way to save lives there is to STOP it from spreading. Sadly, people zipping allover the place to "treat" Ebola victims are KILLING more people by spreading it.

Now days if there is an outbreak of many diseases we can step in with effective treatments. However in the past quarantine was developed not because people were heartless but because it was the only thing that worked. Sadly, with Ebola, it is the only thing that will save lives.
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #45
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
It's also not something that is transmitted before symptoms appear. You have to be physically ill before being able to share it.
I think this is a very important thing for people to realise.
Yep you beat me to it while I was editing . A lot of voodoo and myths around this disease.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #46
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb0 View Post
Yep you beat me to it while I was editing . A lot of voodoo and myths around this disease.
I am a post ninja.

Old 18-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #47
BHDOGS
Banned

Its never been the disease thats the problem its the ability for it to spread from patient to patient its a fact that if aids was an airborne virus it would of lead to an extinction event. The fact that it wasnt was a blessing these arnt viruses to be trifled with like oh well its just some African people. They will mutate and they will adapt its a naive stupid person who believes this ebola virus is a big beat up. 9000 people have been infected 4500 are dead thats a 50 percent death rate but has recently risen to 70 percent and there forecasting an infection rate of 10,000 a week in 2 months. Its simple maths really the more the virus spreads the more chance of mutation it cant mutate as fast if it doesnt spread you speed up one you speed up the other.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Its never been the disease thats the problem its the ability for it to spread from patient to patient its a fact that if aids was an airborne virus it would of lead to an extinction event. The fact that it wasnt was a blessing these arnt viruses to be trifled with like oh well its just some African people. They will mutate and they will adapt its a naive stupid person who believes this ebola virus is a big beat up. 9000 people have been infected 4500 are dead thats a 50 percent death rate but has recently risen to 70 percent and there forecasting an infection rate of 10,000 a week in 2 months. Its simple maths really the more the virus spreads the more chance of mutation it cant mutate as fast if it doesnt spread you speed up one you speed up the other.
Indeed it is hard to see it not spreading to all corners of the globe .............eventually, the disease has time on its side, the only way i can see it not getting to all countrys is to stop travel between country`s, and that is pretty unlikely.
Old 18-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With America introducing screening at their main airports, no. They can't.
And yet, they did....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #50
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
And yet, they did....
And yet, it's a couple of isolated cases.

Old 18-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want a disease to spread efficiently and effectively, giving it the best chance to evolve and develop new interesting abilities (like becoming airborn), the best way to do it is to keep exporting it to areas that have a human population that has never really had exposure to it before, and which has its own set of diseases and general maladies that the disease would most likely have not come into contact with before.

For once, Abbott was completely correct...we'd be foolish to ship off as many medical and military personnel as possible as Labor seems to want us to do. Abbot is right...send monetary aid, but keep our medical people here at home, safe.
There is no plan in place to ship out any infected Australian staff if we did send people. Labor seems to think everyone over there is happily holding hands and it's all well organised. It isn't. Other countries are, quite rightly, concentrating on their own peoples safety if worse comes to worse.

If we send plane loads of medical staff, all we are doing is increasing the chances of the disease being exposed to our immune systems, it gives it a better chance of mutating, it then also gives it a chance to return to our country where there is no history of the disease in our population.

Yes, not many people have died, and probably not a huge amount will die before it burns itself out again, as Ebola has done for decades. However, nowadays with easy and fast international travel, and this misguided bullcrap about feeling the need to stick our noses in everywhere without worrying about the danger to our own population (because we all have to be friends first and not worry about that sort of thing), we're giving it every opportunity to spread to new populations and evolve into something much more serious.

Send monetary aid and supplies, ban travel to and from the area, institute lengthy offshore quarantine for those foolish enough to manage to get there before we even think about letting them back home.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #52
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #53
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My late father lost two brothers in the global flu pandemic of 1918...figures vary, estimates are hard to come by, but they estimate maybe a minimum of twenty million dead and as high as fifty million plus, given the poor international communication at the time and exact details being fuzzy.

Comparing obesity, smoking, and alcohol is totally on the wrong tangent. They're nothing to do with disease and epidemics.

How long is too long before people actually take things like ebola seriously? Do we wait until it gets a chance to evolve into an air born form and then say "Hmm...maybe letting people freely travel into and out of the areas wasn't such a good idea"...?
Or do we do what used to be done with disease outbreaks...and do our best to contain it where it is now, and use everything at our disposal to keep it in those areas, instead of sending off happy campers around the globe to help for a while and then fly back to their home countries, very likely taking a little gift home with them?

What will it take for people to realize that in a world of fast and widespread air travel and westerners who feel the need to throw themselves into diseased areas for no good reason, we need to look back to how things used to be done.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #54
BHDOGS
Banned

Put simply those threes problems are peoples own stupid faults if you want to be fat drunk smoking idiot good on you go for your life if you die ill weep for you actually no i wont as i dont give two *****. As for ebola its all good to say well lock them up stop air travel thats not realistic if your baby or child had ebola would you just lock them in a room to die because thats what happening people are ******* dieing in there thousands and all people can do is post how much they dont care on the internet the western world has gotta be the most selfish there is perhaps a good dose of ebola and a few thousands westerns killed might be a wake up call that what happens in other parts of the world actually matter.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #55
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Nobody has a choice in this. Western countries will not be able to stop the movement of this virus without closing borders 100% which just wont happen.

Once it hits huge, densely populated regions in Asia it will go mad... people that cannot or will not seek containment/confinement will ensure it spreads. Forget if its airborne enabled, if the virus becomes (or actually already was) transmissable prior to or concurrently with detectable symptoms it will be unstoppable.

Even if thats not the case, once the cases start to flourish then sheer volume will overwhelm the resources at hand... Vaccine becomes the hope but the timeframe being what it is, is the vaccine potentially a poor first option?

I dont know if the WHO warnings of 10,000 cases per week from December onwards has been the motivator for the sudden rush from Western Countries to get into West Africa, but if it was it was done a bit too lae to alter the current course.

I know it sounds like a gloomy outlook, but its hard to see it any other way from here. I am typically a pretty competitive person but for the first time in my life I hope I am wrong.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #56
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
Problem is Ebola is not a choice.

No one wakes up and thinks, "I think I'll take up Ebola today".

Health experts have been warning since the late 90's of a major Global epidemic that would spread like wildfire. And this is the beginning of one.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #57
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And yet, it's a couple of isolated cases.
Point is, there are cases nonetheless, something you argued wouldn't happen.

Complacency will be the west's biggest enemy in this.
Old 19-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #58
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
My late father lost two brothers in the global flu pandemic of 1918...figures vary, estimates are hard to come by, but they estimate maybe a minimum of twenty million dead and as high as fifty million plus, given the poor international communication at the time and exact details being fuzzy.

Comparing obesity, smoking, and alcohol is totally on the wrong tangent. They're nothing to do with disease and epidemics.

How long is too long before people actually take things like ebola seriously? Do we wait until it gets a chance to evolve into an air born form and then say "Hmm...maybe letting people freely travel into and out of the areas wasn't such a good idea"...?
Or do we do what used to be done with disease outbreaks...and do our best to contain it where it is now, and use everything at our disposal to keep it in those areas, instead of sending off happy campers around the globe to help for a while and then fly back to their home countries, very likely taking a little gift home with them?

What will it take for people to realize that in a world of fast and widespread air travel and westerners who feel the need to throw themselves into diseased areas for no good reason, we need to look back to how things used to be done.
So why hasn't h i v morphed into an airborne virus?

It's a worldwide problem.

The greatest fear with ebola is panic due to misinformation.

Would you ask a doctor to diagnose car problems or a mechanic for medical advise?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #59
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Point is, there are cases nonetheless, something you argued wouldn't happen.

Complacency will be the west's biggest enemy in this.
I didn't say it couldn't happen.
I rebutted the notion that it could easily be taken anywhere, with new (emphasis on that) protocols at the airports receiving flights from west Africa, not to mention transmission functions of the disease etc etc.
It can't easily be taken anywhere and spread around when correct protocol is followed.

What a surprise.

Old 20-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It can't easily be taken anywhere and spread around when correct protocol is followed.
It can. All you have to do is (a) not present symptoms; (b) be less than truthful about your movements prior.

The boss of the Texas hospital that should have picked up the Texas ebola patient has already apologised... for what? Not following protocol.

The only way to ensure protocols are rigorously followed is to create an appropriate atmosphere of fear, not 'she'll be right mate'. Like I already said, complacency will be our biggest enemy.