Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #31
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I remember seeing a BA of some description on Carsales, supposedly had the police chip in it. According to the ad it was modified for police use but never made the cut for some reason. It said "Police" on the dashboard LCD when you turned it on.

Not sure how else it was modified but I found it on a thread on this forum. Did a search but can't find it.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #32
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
fuel injected , wyn's protected....
Hahahahah they definately had the speed restrictor lifted as well because the OBD scanner had POLICE tape wrapped all over it and no matter how much i begged and pleaded they would not load it into my car , so i will never know if it had different mapping or not - Apparently it raised the idle speed on XR8's because they used to stall performing U-turns ?

Anyone know if this was true ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a South Australian ex-plolice VH Commodore in the shed. They came with a bit of extra gear compared to the standard car, but yeah I think the good old "cop specials" died around the early 90s. After that they just took mostly whatever came off the line.

My VH is police blue, it came with a 308 and turbo 350 trans (which wasn't available in the SL to regular buyers), plus a bunch of little stuff like map pockets, reading lights, special police shifter (so they could slam the trans back into second). My mate has the original motor at the moment, so I'm got to check if it was one of the V5H brock spec engines but I don't think it is because they were mostly with the manual equipped cars.

I must admit, a mate had a stock VN SS BT1 and it went very well for a stock 5-litre. Maybe it's the way they're broken in.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #34
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
The cop chip is not a myth, a mate had a EB SXR8 with 'cop mods' as it was an ex cop car.

It had an aftermarket computer and a lumpier camshaft. This is a 302 Windsor in a 17 year old car that would rev past 9000rpm regularly. No pings, no misfires, nothing.

The new HWP cars (in Queensland anyway) have a similar treatment.
The car has been modified post police duties.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

free drive thru at maccas......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
free drive at thru maccas......
Nah - they only get 50% off, not totally free.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #37
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Ugh, I knew this thread would come up someday.

The old conversation of "I know they have police specials beause I know of a family member/mate/mate of a mate of a mate/tuning shop/fromer vehichle manufacturer/etc who had/worked on one"

then

The old conversation of "I know they DONT have police specials beause I know of a family member/mate/mate of a mate of a mate/tuning shop/fromer vehichle manufacturer/etc who had/worked on one".

Back in the 70's, 80's, there were (I myself had a 1981 chrysler valiant with the police pack option k18 & still had the hole in the roof under the vinyl) but since then I wouldnt think so. The current XR6T, & SS's can match virutally anything bar a Lambo/Fezza/Aston Martin etc. So why bother? & even the standard 6's these days are punching about 200kw. Theres no need for it. I agree on the "50,000 mark, then dump it" arguement.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way darker then legal tint on unmarked ones.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Speaking of the Prime ministers protection cars. In adelaide last year saw one of them, a white Calais V V8, LED lights in the grille and in front of the rear view mirror and back parcel board..... also racing harness seatbelts. Funny seeing two men in dark suits with bright red racing harness on.

That car must be a weapon. Does anyone know about these vehicles? I know they also use Territory Turbos.
Would have thought racing harness's would have slowed them from getting out of the car if they needed to?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These threads are allways great entertainment value!!!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #41
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Quote:
I remember seeing a BA of some description on Carsales, supposedly had the police chip in it. According to the ad it was modified for police use but never made the cut for some reason. It said "Police" on the dashboard LCD when you turned it on.

Not sure how else it was modified but I found it on a thread on this forum. Did a search but can't find it.
Thats not a chip, it's just police mode. My ute is running police mode too. It says POLICE when you turn it on, gives you a digital speedo on the right hand LCD, and the left hand LCD just has a tripometer and range to empty. You lose the immediate and average fuel usage readouts.

Deffinately has nothing to do with the performance or electronics of the car what so ever. All the clusters have police mode built in; it just needs to be turned on.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #42
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9000rpm windsor is a new one : Even a V8 supercar engine would go bang at that revs
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #43
magoo66
JAFO

I used to have an EF XR8 ex-NSW highway patrol, the only difference bewteen mine and a standard XR8, other than the disabled interior light, upgraded electrics and instrument cluster mods mentioned earlier in this thread is that it was not speed limited.

Don't know if it came from the factory like that or it was modded by the cops, but it came straight from them to my driveway and thats how it was when I got it.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vinyl floor mats add 10 kph.......
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #45
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II

Back in the 70's, 80's, there were (I myself had a 1981 chrysler valiant with the police pack option k18 & still had the hole in the roof under the vinyl) but since then I wouldnt think so. . .

So this car in question was actually a detectives car.

I'm not being a smartalex, just in case you're thinking that way. I just happen to have a soft spot for the Vals and know a bit about them. I happen to own a CL chaser. V8 auto. The hole for the lighting on that car is in the B-pillar right hand side, just inside the door.

I'm aware that the VC??? through to VX??? Commodore chasers had 15" steel wheels with HS stamped in the face of the rim. They were silver in colour. They had beefed electrics and the production code of BT1. As for the rest of the ins and outs, I can't say.

Sorry for straying off topic, so I'll disappear now

Sorry for straying off topic, so I'll leave others get to it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #46
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
So this car in question was actually a detectives car.

I'm not being a smartalex, just in case you're thinking that way. I just happen to have a soft spot for the Vals and know a bit about them. I happen to own a CL chaser. V8 auto. The hole for the lighting on that car is in the B-pillar right hand side, just inside the door.

I'm aware that the VC??? through to VX??? Commodore chasers had 15" steel wheels with HS stamped in the face of the rim. They were silver in colour. They had beefed electrics and the production code of BT1. As for the rest of the ins and outs, I can't say.

Sorry for straying off topic, so I'll disappear now

Sorry for straying off topic, so I'll leave others get to it.
Oh no, I get it, I was also thinking some of the 90's stuff maybe had a police pack option code. I remember reading an article of the VR/VS?? model that was a berlina I think, with the motor out of an SS, plus the suspension/instrument cluster. Everything else was berlina spec. Ill see if I can find the article.

Ona slight side note, my K18 had a police pack motor (265), & a 1 klm/h speedo (VERY rare in a val. its the only part of the car I have left now.... *sigh* *sniff*).
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Would have thought racing harness's would have slowed them from getting out of the car if they needed to?

I would of thought so too, maybe they are quick release?? Ordinarilly I would think I was seeing things, but my wife was the one which pointed it out to me. "isnt if funny they use red seatbelts?"
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #48
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of quiet a few VTII LS1 chasers in Perth that had HSV R8 tunes flashed in them. Not dealer upgrades but aftermarket jobs.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #49
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Can have lower final drive fitted ??
As in 3.45 on std model where a 3.08 would have...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #50
prasac
Banned

not enuff, i had a mate who was in a chase a good 10 years back, he had enuff time to pull up at a servo throw $9 in and keep going
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #51
cargenie
Banned

Im sure most of the time they just have handling modifications like lower springs, bigger/better brakes, etc.
Quite some time ago I had a Commodore VR BT1 (Ex-Police). It had FE2 suspension, different instrument cluster, instead of the needle lighting up it had a little light above the cluster that would shine onto the speedo. It also had no bellmouth in the throttlebody for more air flow.
cargenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #52
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago when a VT was a newish car, my mate and myself went to the government auction's at Jupps in Port Melbourne. While walking around we spotted a white VT SS and the previous owner was listed as Vic Police. When we looked inside it was trashed, holes all throughout the dashboard, scuff marks everywhere, but it did have the 2km/h speedo and the lights never came on when we opened the door. As far as performance goes, these days the police are not allowed to even pursue anyone due to safety garbage, why would they need 1000hp cars???
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #53
theboxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
Thats not a chip, it's just police mode. My ute is running police mode too. It says POLICE when you turn it on, gives you a digital speedo on the right hand LCD, and the left hand LCD just has a tripometer and range to empty. You lose the immediate and average fuel usage readouts.

Deffinately has nothing to do with the performance or electronics of the car what so ever. All the clusters have police mode built in; it just needs to be turned on.

Do you have any information on how to turn this police mode on? I would really like a speedo readout on my left hand LCD screen.
theboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #54
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
The cop chip is not a myth, a mate had a EB SXR8 with 'cop mods' as it was an ex cop car.

It had an aftermarket computer and a lumpier camshaft. This is a 302 Windsor in a 17 year old car that would rev past 9000rpm regularly. No pings, no misfires, nothing.

The new HWP cars (in Queensland anyway) have a similar treatment.
I hope that is sarcasm and I suspect it is. There is little chance an EB had any form of performance mods, there is not a fat chance in hell any current HWP cars have performance mods except minor things like brake pads.

They have absolutely no power mods, I have seen enough HWP spec cars and spoken to the trainers at the driver training centre. They are stock SS commodores, XR8 and XR6T (and stock BF F6 when they had them).

Interestingly, when I bought the F6 one of the driver trainers asked how it was, to which I said great. He said that they found when they had the BF F6 they found it was probably a bit too powerful, they prefer the XR6T out of the Fords. I know NSW upgrade the brakes (hence the typhoon wheels) but QLD do not, stock brakes and the source of the most criticism they have for these cars.

The general duty sedans in QLD have absolutely no power mods, we had a full police spec sedan (VE sedan based on the pov pack) as a station officer car (now have a Subaru Forrester, what a bucket of pus that is). The only mods it had was a dual battery setup for all the electrics and larger output alternator. It also had the FE2 suspension package (as fitted to SS) with different spec tyres and the usual cop steel wheels. The engine was still base spec commodore V6 and trust me it had no extra power, with full service weight it could hardly pull the skin off a custard. I will say that it handled quite well but the brakes did get a bit suspect on extended code 1 drives. There were some other little minor differences but nothing performance orientated and nothing to get excited about. Mt Gravatt station still has one of these but it will be replaced soon with a Forrester.

The days of the high power pursuit specials (if they ever really existed) are long gone. For a start all vehicles are covered by the manufacturer warranty and therefore they do not get any non factory mods except electrics essential for service requirements. Also all the XR8's, XR6T's and SS's are capable of 200 km/h + standard, a speed the cops are not allowed to do in a chase so why would they need more power. Cops today operate under much tighter controls regarding the conduct of pursuits than they ever have before, they do not need cars that can achieve warp factor 9.

Last edited by geckoGT; 14-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #55
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mythlogical pursuit cars eh? Like the Nu-process 4 speed E55 Charger that
"never" existed? LOL
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #56
LightningStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxmike

Do you have any information on how to turn this police mode on? I would really like a speedo readout on my left hand LCD screen.
Me too!!

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #57
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking

Watch MAD MAX theres plenty of em' in there , they even came out with an electric Soopa charger....

In fact i'm gonna watch it right now ......
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #58
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

The days of the high power pursuit specials (if they ever really existed) are long gone.
They existed, but yeah it was a 70s and 80s thing, nowadays they'll just take whatever.

Chrysler Australia did several Police specials, with the K series cars and the hemi sixes in those case came with Torqueflite autos (if optioned with auto). Personally I wouldn't mind getting a K13 Charger with the 360.

Holden and Ford both allowed police departments to buy cars that wouldn't exist if you or I ordered them.
Plus it's been well documented that some police departments went shopping for muscle cars with some using E38 Chargers, GT Falcons, and GTR Toranas. Not much different from today when you think about it, with F6's being used as pursuit cars in NSW fairly recently.

But yeah, the "Cop Chip" fallacy has dragged on too long with these modern cars.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #59
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

True story from the 70's

A good mate was based out near Bathurst. He had his HWP XA (or B or C cannot be sure but one of them) modded at a local friendly workshop with all sorts of goodies including extractors, a 650 double pumper Holley etc etc.

Apparently it caused quite a stir when it was time to take it back to Sydney at the end of its life as there were no invoices for any of the work.

But apparently that same car had a really bad history of diffs and gearboxes blowing every 5 minutes etc LOL.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #60
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
They existed, but yeah it was a 70s and 80s thing, nowadays they'll just take whatever.

Chrysler Australia did several Police specials, with the K series cars and the hemi sixes in those case came with Torqueflite autos (if optioned with auto). Personally I wouldn't mind getting a K13 Charger with the 360.

Did they? All Valiant police special cars were K codes. The number following the K code, just designated the body style and which state the car went to.

Yes, the Hemi came with the torqueflite. The 318's had extra clutches in the autos to cope with the pounding. otherwise the motor was a stockie, with a 2 barrel carb and 2 into 1 system on the 8's. Otherwise, these police cars were basically poverty packs. Rubber floor mats, vynil trim (with the exception of detective cars) and the speedo was in kilometre an hour increments. They came with radial tyres as standard (Cross plies were the norm in the VH onwards range, unless specified by the customer).

BTW. I have a 77 model ex-cop Valiant. Came from the factory with 6" steel rims and hubcaps

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post