Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ideas for a second car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty73
Do you have any idea on how many 4 cylinder cars I have had to pull the sump off and clean out the oil pick up out and put con rod bearings in? No. Well it's in the hundreds. FOR CHRIST SAKE, CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 10000 ks or EVERY 6 MONTHS!!! Got a 95 corolla at work right now with 250k on it and it needs this done. Most jap 4s are good BUT NEED MAINTANENCE!!!
Guilty, lol. But you get that going from 40,000km to 190,000km with just oil top ups with 20W-50 black and gold oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Is it? What makes it dangerous? Sister could be buying one when she kills my Subaru :(
Bullet proof Mazda B5 engine, but its not safe in a crash, at all. Has a fairly low safety rating.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

AUII or AUIII egas. Or a dual fuel one.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #33
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Low crash star rating, 2 or 3 stars. No airbags at all, no ABS etc.
Also important to remember they were considered to have low crash safety back then. Even the most primitive Chinese car would have better crash safety these days. Most, if not all small cars from the 1990s have terrible crash safety.

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcmi...eature=related

versus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjFDGoSFg0

Last edited by Ford_The_Win; 21-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty73
Do you have any idea on how many 4 cylinder cars I have had to pull the sump off and clean out the oil pick up out and put con rod bearings in? No. Well it's in the hundreds. FOR CHRIST SAKE, CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 10000 ks or EVERY 6 MONTHS!!! Got a 95 corolla at work right now with 250k on it and it needs this done. Most jap 4s are good BUT NEED MAINTANENCE!!!
Very true. When I was in the market for a small, cheap 4cyl run-about I lost count of the amount of cars that had no service history, or the books were lost, or the receipts faded, or the dog ate the file where all this was saved etc etc etc.

The problem is, once cars get on in age and change hands a few times owners just don't give a toss.

If you do an oil and filter change every 10,000km / 6 months with a flush (along with the other stuff that needs doing) will get MUCH more life out of an engine.

Reminds me of how dad treated his cars... never serviced, never looked after, waited for things to go wrong then when it did it was because the car was crap of course.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Also important to remember they were considered to have low crash safety back then. Even the most primitive Chinese car would have better crash safety these days. Most, if not all small cars from the 1990s have terrible crash safety.
True... When I was buying my first new car I had 15 grand cash and didn't want to borrow from anyone or anywhere.

Was looking at an Excel, Satria, Starlet and Festiva. Come time to buy the Festiva was advertised with free upgrade to 1.5 engine and free comprehensive insurance (saving me 2-3 grand at the time). Scored it for $14700 and the rest went to an alarm.

Buying anything else just didn't make sense. If I remember right the Mondeo was being sold with flights to certain destinations as a sweetener at the same time.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Low crash star rating, 2 or 3 stars. No airbags at all, no ABS etc.

Contradictory I know (coming from me lol) but when I was buying one new that's all I could afford.

They are a bullet-proof car and if you can stretch the budget get something a little larger or safer.

Once you are buying a 2nd hand car that's 7-10 years old there are a plethora of options and and extra grand or 2 will get you into something that would have cost and extra 10 grand when new.
Fair enough. You should check out my poor subie, doesnt even have steel bars in the doors!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #37
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame you budget is $6000 i've got an 01 model Mazda 323 BJ Auto with only 90,000 k's on it it's got no rego and a scratch on the bonnet i'm looking for about $6500 as is or about $7200 with 12 months i know it's not quite in you price range but feel free to message me if you intrested

Cheers Lorenz
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #38
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

6 Grand? Id be getting myself an AU I6 or V8. Regular ULP at 8-10L/100km. Indestructible Ford motoring.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #39
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2000-2002 corolla...
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_ba
2000-2002 corolla...
Couldn't really go wrong with that choice...might not be the most exciting car (though you can flog them mercilessly and they just keep on going), but you know it'll just keep on keeping on because it's a Toyota.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #41
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytox
KJ/KL/KN Laser, 1.8 robust little bastards and you'll get change from 6k.

Have to agree. Just recently bought a 2001 KQ Laser SR with 140000K's as a second car. Great little car which is the Mazda twin but without the Mazda cost. For some reason some people see the Ford badge and steer away but the Mazda one everyone is attracted to, so it has a higher buying price. Has front airbags, looks great with the kit and wheels, central locking, electric windows and a/c. I picked it up for $7K. I know its outside your price range but there are different models in the range or if you're lucky you maybe to pick one up
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #42
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The problem is, once cars get on in age and change hands a few times owners just don't give a toss.

Reminds me of how dad treated his cars... never serviced, never looked after, waited for things to go wrong then when it did it was because the car was crap of course.
Yep the top one is definately true
But with this helps bring down the prices of the well kept examples

How your dad treats his cars is exactly how my mate works

Buys the cheapies, drives them in the ground
He just went 12 months on a second hand diesel with out an oil change
(At least 30,000Ks i can calculate)
Screams now that it has issues !!!
He only paid 3K for the car , hasnt spent a cent
But hey , according to him its a POS

Best tip is,
Find what suits your budget , get it thoroughly inspection
Not threw the car yard or a mate of a mate of the seller
Independant
Then when your happy , buy it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #43
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just bought a 2002 manual Corolla Ascent private sale for $6k. Its done 190k's but has excellent service history & drives like new & quite quick with 100kw motor. Has 4 new Bridgestones, new pads/rotors, tint, dashmat, weathershield, Kenwood radio/CD player, after market alarm wired into central locking. Uses 6.8L/100 combined city/hwy on 91ron even @ 3300rpm doing 110kph in 5th. Best part is it has a timing chain, not a belt!

We have a 1987 Corolla in the family done 597,000 klms. Its the go fast twin cam 4AGE fuel inj 100kw motor. Never had the rocker cover off till it blew a head gasket at 530klms. Pulled it down and you could still see the cross hatch hone marks in the bore. That's what oil & filter every 10,000klms does for you.

In my exp any auto under 2.0L won't pull the skin off a custard
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #44
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
I'm in the same boat. Looking for a cheap, economical second car later this year. Although I've never owned a Falcon, the AU3 Falc looks to be pretty good value and there are plenty on gas already. Even on petrol they wouldn't be that bad if you're not doing lots of kms. We've got a 4cyl diesel for trips. The second car would just be for juggling kid dropoffs on days when the wife gets work etc..

Having owned Corolla, Integra, Focus, Fiesta, Accord and a Maxima... None of these are any better or worse. The jap stuff is pretty reliable, but is still quite expensive second hand compared to 6 cyl Falcon and Commodore. Small car parts are not cheap.

If only doing modest mileage, a used 6 cyl looks to make more sense to me.
just as a followup, would a BA Falcon be noticeably worse on fuel/maintenance costs than an AU2/AU3 ? The BA is a bit nicer shape IMHO, but is quite a bit heavier. For $5-6k, both models are available with similar kms.

EDIT: looks like the BA is rated slightly better for fuel economy!

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/compare.aspx?__Qpb=1&__Ns=p_Make_String|0||p_Class ificationType_String|0||p_Family_String|0||p_Year_ String|1||p_SequenceNum_Int32|0&__N=2994%204294961 316%204294843578%204294965762&silo=1300&CT=Compare &__Nne=15&trecs=10&__sid=1232CFC2E84C
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #45
ingles
Starter Motor

Considered a Subaru?Your budget will probably go an AWD Liberty of mid 90's vintage-just make sure of good service history.If you find one with such history,you're set.My missus car is 93.(I'm sure you will be able to afford a later one),but they have pwr steer/air/cruise/leccy windows/4 wheel disc-if you're lucky,dead cow interior and a hole in the roof.Hers gets along quite well,and its a sludg-o-matic.As an added bonus, the build quality on these things is pretty good,so they're not all squeak/rattle/bits fall off every second day.Economical too.
Sincerely recommend at least looking at them.

Last edited by ingles; 24-06-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: I hate bad spelling-especially by me!
ingles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #46
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just brought myself an 2003 LR LX Focus sedan. Manual, cd player, dual airbags, Boot is huge, bloody economical. 100,000 kms $7000.00. Bargain in my books.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post