Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #31
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I think it would be an intelligent move for Toyota to buy Holden. Their market share in Australia would absolutely destroy everything else (even though it currently leads anyway).

I believe it would be like Renault buying Nissan. All seems normal (from the consumers perspective) at first, then they start releasing strange looking bug cars down the track.

So yeah, I think the commodore would last a few years before it was converted to a fwd car with boost.
Old 26-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #32
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Has Holden always been owned by GM ? or were they purchased at some stage.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #33
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strategically both Holden and Isuzu will be kept as they form the basis for trucks and the zeta platform which is likely to save GM's *** by giving consumers something they want to own (other than a pickup).

Next to go will be SAAB - closedown. Gm will probably sell it's holdings in Hughes and remove another brand from the Us market.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
The UAW is an example where a union has become too powerful and has forgotten the reason why it exists - to protect the worker!

I'm not union bashing. What I am trying so say is if GM US and Ford US built good cars that sold in high numbers then there would be enough money going around to cover all expenses, including these union negotiate perks. As GM and Ford aren't doing well in the US, they find themselves in a situation where it is the union negotiated perks which are causing them the most damage at this point in time.

FF
Don't totally blame the Union, blame GM too. They approved the deal. They thought they were invincible and would never go through what they are going through now.It was a total lack of foresight that got that deal through, when things were good they would reward the workers, but not realisizing that things could one day go pear shaped means its come back to bite them on the ***. Surely they should have realised how much money it was going to cost them in future years.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #35
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
I think it would be an intelligent move for Toyota to buy Holden. Their market share in Australia would absolutely destroy everything else (even though it currently leads anyway).

I believe it would be like Renault buying Nissan. All seems normal (from the consumers perspective) at first, then they start releasing strange looking bug cars down the track.

So yeah, I think the commodore would last a few years before it was converted to a fwd car with boost.
Why would Toyota do something as silly as buying out Holden? It offers them absolutely nothing other than a few buildings and an engine plant which Holden is more than likely leasing from a 'middle man' anyways. In Toyota's (and every other competitors eyes) it would be more advantegeous for them to turn up the pressure even higher and continue drilling Holden into the ground - why pay for something when you can simply eliminate it?
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #36
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Why would Toyota do something as silly as buying out Holden? It offers them absolutely nothing other than a few buildings and an engine plant which Holden is more than likely leasing from a 'middle man' anyways. In Toyota's (and every other competitors eyes) it would be more advantegeous for them to turn up the pressure even higher and continue drilling Holden into the ground - why pay for something when you can simply eliminate it?

There is nothing Toyota would gain by buying Holden. It will not happen.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #37
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
and this is why I will never own a business :
Old 27-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #38
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I could see GM keeping a 51% share in Holden and sell the rest on the stock market. This way they get to keep controlling interest in Holden and much needed cash.

Im sure then we would get a good idea who has the sort of cash to buy holden.. I dont belive theres a chinese manufacturer with that much cash. Toyota could buy it and operate it as a independant brand. The Australian government might also want to buy a share. Im sure plenty in Australia would be keen to buy a bit of holden too.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Toyota has very openly stated that it does not want GM to die. So if buying out Holden would give GM some kind of aid and keep them running... they could very well do it. Holden, on a global scale, is puny. It's a spec. They could buy it out without even noticing.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #40
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

I hear that Skaife has put his hand up to buy them!! :
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #41
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Don't totally blame the Union, blame GM too. They approved the deal. They thought they were invincible and would never go through what they are going through now.It was a total lack of foresight that got that deal through, when things were good they would reward the workers, but not realisizing that things could one day go pear shaped means its come back to bite them on the ***. Surely they should have realised how much money it was going to cost them in future years.

If that is the case than why have the unions not come back and said lets save all these jobs and remove all those costly things from the award.

This would have to be one of the biggest pieces of s**t i have ever read on this site.

The unions are still pushing for more.

And they are doing the same to ford aswell.

Ian
Old 27-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #42
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickin
I hear that Skaife has put his hand up to buy them!! :

He will buy for a dollar like he did the race team.

Ian
Old 27-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #43
jcxr
Tribal Elder

The engine plant could be an interesting scenario as it manufactures all the Opel engines for export.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
If that is the case than why have the unions not come back and said lets save all these jobs and remove all those costly things from the award.

This would have to be one of the biggest pieces of s**t i have ever read on this site.

The unions are still pushing for more.

And they are doing the same to ford aswell.

Ian
I hear what your saying, but management steered them into the ground and you think the workers have to bail them out. GM is swimming in their own sh*t, they made the decision to pay health care, do you expect average joes to want to give it up, especially when most are retired and don't have to worry about losing their jobs. Surely they should have known this could happen?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #45
Kenno
Starter Motor

why would GM sell a company that is doing well for them? i thought you would sell the ones that are going bad.
Kenno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #46
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
The engine plant could be an interesting scenario as it manufactures all the Opel engines for export.
Having been the victim of one of these (in a Barina) I would say that would be no loss.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:29 PM   #47
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
As said above, GM will continue to sell any stake in other automotive companies which it has aquired over the years before they consider selling Holden. In the last year GM has bailed out of Fiat, Subaru and Suzuki. I predict that GM will bail out of Isuzu next.

FF
It appears my prediction is about to be proven correct:

Link to news article

FF
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #48
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like one of the many Mitsubishi family companies have been suggested/approached for tender.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #49
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

It's scary the state of affairs with the large car market. But the Americans have struggled for years to develop a product that can rival the Japanese. Even now with possible death staring them in the face they continue to develop products that aren't relevant to the survival of the brand (namely retro muscle cars). With a big shift towards diesel, hybrid and then hydrogen powered cars, America offers little of any of these products whilst the European and Japanese companies are producing plenty of production models.

Scariest of all is that should these companies shoot themselves in the foot, the Australian market is in real trouble. Our cars, as much as we love them are far too unique to be economically viable. It will only be a matter of time before a beancounter will suggest simply assembling a foreign product here, if not import the whole lot.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #50
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I'd better start collecting some spares and keep a few falcons in the back yard like a fella did with the P76.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #51
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Holden would be in really bad shape if it wasnt for the UAE exports.. They sell more statesmans than they do here and the monaro and the commodore help to nicely round out the numbers. They are high profit exports too, unlike the US ones.

Our cars are currently viable. Mitsubishi will most likely fall by the way side. Its inevitable. Best they can hope for is a barely profitable local business to help suppliment small volume exporting.

Australian manufacturers definately have to be economical. Lucky that Ford OZ fixed itself before the crisis in the US, otherwise it would be serious cutbacks.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #52
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Dont they continue to pay the worker's after they sack them up untill they find new work or something along those lines.
Thats right till they find another job. That is one of their biggest problems, why would you look for another job if you were getting a full wage and can go to the beach everyday.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #53
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
It appears my prediction is about to be proven correct:

Link to news article

FF
My prediction was correct - GM announced last week that it will sell the 7.9% it owns of Isuzu. Click here for news article

Fiat
Subaru
Suzuki
Isuzu
plus the GM credit/finance division - all sold in the last 15 months

What is the next thing/division GM will sell?

FF
Old 18-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #54
ltd
Force Fed Fords

They'll probably sell themselves to the Shanghai Auto Industrie. As China gets more and more powerful, GM could find a lucrative price there rather than going chapter 11. And they're not the only ones either.

Another industry giant; Airbus, could be sold off to the chinese should the manufacturers all new A380 be a failure. With a requirement of atleast 250 units to break even, and orders stalling at 154, the European giant could make the spruce goose look like a formidable opponent.

With recent civil action over its carbon fibre empenage fatigue on the A380 as well as empenage failures (American flight 587, Air Transat and many other rudder failures), to say Airbus is under alot of pressure is an understatement.
Furthermore the recent 12 month delays and relevant compensation for the already 30 tonne overweight A380 has airlines worried it will not be able to complete missions with full fuel and payload.

The sense of deja vu airlines are feeling now over the same crippling problems with the A340 being unable to fly a full compliment mission has Airlines like Emirates lining up to take potshots at the manufacturer. Competition from Boeing has already seen hundreds of new orders go to the American rival, necessitating massive capital injections from French and other European governments to remain viable. Resultantly any more bad news has industry insiders speculating the buyout from the peoples republic as they seek to find new nationalistic markets to dominate.

What's this got to do with cars? Dunno.

Quote: