Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #31
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

Lol saw that on tv too mexicanbatman awsome nose dive but it's not rwd!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
IMO that is an irrelevent point. I still know what id buy, a GT. Have never been a real fan of Lexus except for the ISF
Yeh the IS350 is not for me either although the ISF is rather nifty.

As far as top speed being an irrelevant point, I am pretty sure the catch cry for the Phase III GTHO is "the fastest 4 door car in the world".

And what is the Bugatti Veyron's claim to fame?

The 270km/h I suspect is just the Lexus sledging BMW & Mercedes with their 250km/h limit and I have driven FPVs at 250km/h and it is quite "invigorating".

With the current trend in the political landscape maybe, just maybe a new NT government will reopen the (//) and then top speed may have its relevance returned to Australian roads.

You know, you know you never know, you know..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh the IS350 is not for me either although the ISF is rather nifty.

As far as top speed being an irrelevant point, I am pretty sure the catch cry for the Phase III GTHO is "the fastest 4 door car in the world".

And what is the Bugatti Veyron's claim to fame?

The 270km/h I suspect is just the Lexus sledging BMW & Mercedes with their 250km/h limit and I have driven FPVs at 250km/h and it is quite "invigorating".

With the current trend in the political landscape maybe, just maybe a new NT government will reopen the (//) and then top speed may have its relevance returned to Australian roads.

You know, you know you never know, you know..........
Yeah i understand the top speed or faster then competitors car in this case probably BMW or Merc as you pointed out but from my point of view it wouldnt be enough to make me buy one as IMO it means nothing as there isnt anywhere you can use it 'properly' even if the open limit would be returned thats only one place here (besides the track) you can use it. Imagine the reaction from your average banner/billboard from Lexus
'New Lexus IS350, Top Speed 270KM/H' no limits here.
Anyway a little off topic.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

i just wish they had continued to sell the "cressida" here, remember the twin cam 3 litre RWD toyota from the late eighties/early nineties? the next model which they didn't sell here for some stupid reason was a great car (think Chaser/ Mark II).

I think perhaps our market is simply too small for Toyota to want to sell a million different models.

I've been in love with the IS350 since it was released, can't afford a brand newie but something with 6 months warranty left might be ok.
Old 20-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #35
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mark_X
Old 20-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
Scott

I can't say on an IS350, but if it is sized like an IS250 it will likely take very few sales from the G6ET. I have several friends with an IS250 and whilst ALL love them, NONE will buy another one. The rear legroom is just too small to take adults around in any serious comfort.

When looking at similar cars to replace the GT last year and earlier this year, I looked at 2 Lexus (IS250 & RX350) then I drove a 3 Series, C Class and a G6ET. I rated the G6ET as significantly better than the BMW & Merc in all aspects and whilst not as nice as the Lexus inside, it wasn't miles off either.

I ended up with an RX - if I had of stayed sedan I would have chosen a G6ET. Size & Grunt would have overcome the extra nice-bits the much smaller IS250 had to offer.

If I could have afforded an ISF, I would have coped with the size though.

Ofcourse, all of this might be irrelevant as I can't be arsed looking up the dimensions of the IS250/350 to compare them!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
NEEDspeed

Well, judging from the shipments of these new IS' in WA they seem to be starting to sell in decent numbers.

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #38
BFZF8

Quote:
I see it as a good thing and would like to see Infinity & Eunos here as well.

All it will do is lift the bar and how can that be a bad thing........
Agreed and I'd add the Hyundai Equus and Genesis sedan to that list too. If priced right these things would sell like crazy here.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #39
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For once, I am with Flappist. Dunno why people bag this car, and have never driven it shows what one eyed supporters are all about. I think the IS350 looks awesome. It wouldn't take a lot of work for it to be better built than the Falcon/ Commodore. I would hazard a guess to say it would also be far more refined than the Falcon/Commodores here. The engine in the Aurion is a beauty, and in tweaked form in the Lexus should provide more than enough forward thurst for our rubbish roads here in australia.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #40
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm not seeing people bagging the IS. The issues about its size are real, if you want a Falcon sized Lexus you need to look at the GS which is a $100K vehicle.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #41
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Ofcourse, all of this might be irrelevant as I can't be arsed looking up the dimensions of the IS250/350 to compare them!

Identical cars, different engines.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #42
kezzer

The Camaro alloytec V6 almost has the same power as the DI lexus. Newer specs are 233kw and 377nm and reaches peak torque alot lower, US RRP is like $24k vs $50k. The only advantage I can really see is the lexus weighs less. They are good, but not that good. Give me a G6ET over it anyday
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
The engine in the Aurion is a beauty, and in tweaked form in the Lexus should provide more than enough forward thurst for our rubbish roads here in australia.
Sorry, 330nm No thanks. Put rwd in the aurion and it would be slug. The engine itself is gutless compared to the 4.0l.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #44
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

People obviously haven't driven the TRD Aurion. (Yeah FWD car.) Those things are enough to give any G6ET a good run for their money, in the power stakes.

Only problem with the TRD Aurion, is they torque steer something shocking in a straight line, when given a little push.

Sorry for the side track

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good... in theory, But when I actually look at one I cannot get the least bit excited. I think it's look and the fact t's a lexus it just doesn't excite me at all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
People obviously haven't driven the TRD Aurion. (Yeah FWD car.) Those things are enough to give any G6ET a good run for their money, in the power stakes.

Only problem with the TRD Aurion, is they torque steer something shocking in a straight line, when given a little push.

Sorry for the side track

I drove a normal AUrion hire car last year.
I was impressed. Torque steer was still bad, But overall not a bad car..... better then the VE SV6 hire car I drove.
Xr6 Hire car is still the best I been in so far.
Old 21-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

Sorry for the side track
I did test drive one. I gave it a serve on my "test track" and it scared the hell out of me.......

The computer controlled anti torque steer system did a "microsoft" and the car went nuts.....NEVER again.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The computer controlled anti torque steer system did a "microsoft" and the car went nuts.....NEVER again.
So you saw blue?
Old 21-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #49
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Hi all
between me and the Mrs we have 4 cars
Mine an AU Fairmont Tickford dual fuel
the boss a BA Ghia
the midlife crisis car A 66 Thunderbird
and the sh.t box runaround is
you guessed it a RWD Camry
really a 93 model Toyota Mk11
its a 4 cylinder turbo diesel
T bar auto
goes like the clappers
it is bloody scary
in the wet it is bloody near uncontrolable
just wants to wheel spin all the time
the car itself is very nice
air con power windows central locking
velour seats and AM/FM cassete and CD stereo
it does about 8 lt to the 100
in my day that would be over 30 MPG
very fast and economical
its very diferent to any thing Ive had befor
it will be up for sale in the new year
so if some ones got 3k its all theirs rego and RWC included
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #50
dylancox

Did anyone see the magazine ad? Was browsing through the Qantas inflight magazine and the ad went something like 'the driver gets more patience to put up with delays because of the anticipation of the rush the lexus gets him on the road ahead'. There is a picture of a lexus lined up on a rural railway crossing and a typical Aussie rural backroad into the distance. Very good ad, and politically-incorrectly suggestive of what some of us would like to get up to on a nice backroad, no traffic and no cops ^^
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #51
Spinner5711

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
still wrong

i present to you the..... (insert drumroll)....

Peregrine Falcon, with a top speed of 320km/h this little bird really flies

If we gotta go there....

The Millenium Falcon is the quickest.
Old 21-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Did anyone see the magazine ad? Was browsing through the Qantas inflight magazine and the ad went something like 'the driver gets more patience to put up with delays because of the anticipation of the rush the lexus gets him on the road ahead'. There is a picture of a lexus lined up on a rural railway crossing and a typical Aussie rural backroad into the distance. Very good ad, and politically-incorrectly suggestive of what some of us would like to get up to on a nice backroad, no traffic and no cops ^^

"Don't think of the delay.... think of the playing field ahead." Something like that.

Has 2 photos, one where the road in background is blurred and the Railway Gates are in focus.... second one the good looking road is in focus and the railway gates are blurry.
Old 21-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So you saw blue?
Not blue......"wind".........

The "wind" screen of death.....
Old 21-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #54
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont care what anyone says....toyota build quality ***** all over ford (and holden)

just park a lexus LS400 from 1990 and between a EA ghia and VN calais and you will soon see what im on about..

why dont toyota sell a large RWD sedan in australia (as a toyota not a lexus)??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #55
MexicanBatman
Banned

And what did they cost back in 1990?

I had a 1991 soarer and it was way better than lots of cars but @ 160k new in 1991 is like 350k these days

You can not compare them
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #56
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

what till lexus enters the v8 supecars scene (i hope!) people will be singing a different tune.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #57
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
i dont care what anyone says....toyota build quality ***** all over ford (and holden)

just park a lexus LS400 from 1990 and between a EA ghia and VN calais and you will soon see what im on about..

Now that's an 'apples for apples' comparison if ever I saw one.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #58
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

If it's $70k and it's got a 3.5L motor then it ain't a camry.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #59
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay

Totally agree.

I've owned a Corolla until 370000kms(12 years) a Camry to 345000kms(13 years) and a second Camry to 195000kms and counting (7 years).

And apart from 1 change of worn leads on the 1st Camry, I've had nothing go wrong with any of the vehicles. The current car is nearing 200000ks and not a rattle to be heard.

Most mates tell me Camry's are boring and **** to drive. I nod in agreement as I give them another lift to work while their Falcodore is in for another warranty claim.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #60
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
And what did they cost back in 1990?

I had a 1991 soarer and it was way better than lots of cars but @ 160k new in 1991 is like 350k these days

You can not compare them
fair enough

swap the LS400 with an MX83 cressida then!!
they cost about the same as a EA ghia or VN calais
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post