Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Use of Indicators, Optional? You'd think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You can always throw the left indicator on as you are leaving the roundabout. And you should never put it in while there's a chance someone thinks you are turning left (ie go past the left turn, then indicate). But it's a stupid law really, and should only apply when there are more than 3 exits on a roundabout. If you're going left, you indicate left. If right, indicate right. If straight ahead, no indication should be required.
Actually that thinking is flawed and dangerous...

As i said... in LARGE roundabouts you need to indicate when exiting, even moreso if your in a multilane round about.

If your turning right in a large roundabout your typically in the INSIDE lane, in order to exit your must cross the outside lane of the roundabout.

The law requires ALL traffic give way to cars already on the round about, however a lot of drivers do not understand this rule at all.
A lot of drivers on the outside lane of a roundabout, will see a car on the inside lane of a roundabout and think they can pull out into the flow of traffic. This is not the case. A car on the inside lane has the right of way as he needs to exit so will end up crossing in front of a car on the outside lane.
Hence you need to indicate.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 30-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The one's I like are those that use the right hand indicator when overtaking on a Highway, and then leave them on all the time they are on the wrong side of the road.
I do that, as it was what was told to me when I was learning. Have done it ever since.

I can't/haven't seen anything wrong with it in all the years I've been driving.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 30-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The one's I like are those that use the right hand indicator when overtaking on a Highway, and then leave them on all the time they are on the wrong side of the road.
if you mean what i think you do, that is how i do it. right hand indicator on, pass the car and when i am ready to come back in, i put the left indicator on and move back over. i am certainly not going to put the left indicator on before it is safe to move back
Old 30-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are several posts here that indicate an alarming ignorance of what a roundabout is. The is no such thing as "going straight through" a roundabout or "turning left/right" in a roundabout. A roundabout is like a highway and all the streets leading into it are side streets. It doesn't matter whether one of those streets is the Pacific Highway and another is a cul-de-sac, they all have the same status. You give way when entering the roundabout from any of them and left indicate to exit into any of them immediately before (even on a small roundabout). If you're passing the first exit on the left you put your right indicator on until you reach your exit, then you left indicate. That's the law - nationally.

On general use of indicators (or lack thereof) I think you'll find that's often because one hand is used for the steering wheel and the other hand that should be free for the indicator is holding a mobile phone, ipad, ipod, lipstick, newspaper, body part etc.
Old 30-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #35
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You give way when entering the roundabout from any of them and left indicate to exit into any of them immediately before (even on a small roundabout).
And i posted up the relevant rules (for QLD) and highlighted the term "where pratical" in regards to indicating left when leaving the roundabout.

On a small roundabout when travelling straight you dont have time to indicate your exit (heading straight). Hence the term in the road rules... where practical.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 30-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #36
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I'm aware of the discretionary "where practical" Jim but in most roundabouts it's possible to left indicate in time.

But there you go using the expression "straight ahead"! There is no "straight ahead" in a roundabout no matter how small. That's the fundamental misunderstanding Australians have of roundabouts. Unfortunately it leads to the prevalent accident-causing practice of what I call "charging the roundabout" where drivers have the mindset that they are in the "main road" and going "straight ahead" so they approach the roundabout at a speed that discourages anyone else entering from another street even though they were there first, in order to avoid an accident.

Roundabouts don't work so well in Australia as e.g. UK where everyone understands how they work. It's not helped by the instructions from road authorities here that use the expressions "turning left" and "turning right" when explaining how to use roundabouts. No wonder nobody understands.
Old 30-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
There are several posts here that indicate an alarming ignorance of what a roundabout is. The is no such thing as "going straight through" a roundabout or "turning left/right" in a roundabout. A roundabout is like a highway and all the streets leading into it are side streets. It doesn't matter whether one of those streets is the Pacific Highway and another is a cul-de-sac, they all have the same status. You give way when entering the roundabout from any of them and left indicate to exit into any of them immediately before (even on a small roundabout). If you're passing the first exit on the left you put your right indicator on until you reach your exit, then you left indicate. That's the law - nationally.
Quote:
But there you go using the expression "straight ahead"! There is no "straight ahead" in a roundabout no matter how small. That's the fundamental misunderstanding Australians have of roundabouts. Unfortunately it leads to the prevalent accident-causing practice of what I call "charging the roundabout" where drivers have the mindset that they are in the "main road" and going "straight ahead" so they approach the roundabout at a speed that discourages anyone else entering from another street even though they were there first, in order to avoid an accident.

Roundabouts don't work so well in Australia as e.g. UK where everyone understands how they work. It's not helped by the instructions from road authorities here that use the expressions "turning left" and "turning right" when explaining how to use roundabouts. No wonder nobody understands.
Marry me.
Old 30-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Marry me.
Only if you're female and my missus agrees.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
I do that, as it was what was told to me when I was learning. Have done it ever since.

I can't/haven't seen anything wrong with it in all the years I've been driving.
Was the teacher a relative, friend or professional ?

My way of thinking is that it is to signal your intentions. IE: RH blinker on to let others know that you are going to pass the vehicle in front, LH blinker on to tell them that your coming back over.

When they are actually passing why is it on? are they then going to turn right

(Of course the other reason for not leaving it on when on the wrong side of the road, especially at night, is that it wouldn't attract the attention of Mr Plods that might think they have a potential customer.

Perhaps those who leave the (right hand) indicator on all the time whilst overtaking should leave the left one on when they are not
Old 30-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #40
BHDOGS
Banned

i never indicate when leaving a roundabout as my teacher never taught me that i see some ppl do it others dont seems to be just up to the individual
Old 30-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've noticed Mum won't indicate when she's driving around the housing estates, or when you're up to an end lane on the freeway and you have to merge right, she won't indicate.

I indicate just about everywhere, if people know what I'm doing hopefully we avoid an accident, lol. The only time I won't indicate is for example, you're going down a street and someone in front is turning right, legally if you where to go around them you have to indicate left, pass them then indicate right again to come back onto the road. I'm not going to do that because if I indicate left, someone in another intersecting road is going to think I'm turning into their road and they'll come out in front of me.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
i never indicate when leaving a roundabout as my teacher never taught me that i see some ppl do it others dont seems to be just up to the individual
It's not up to the individual, it is the law. Seems your teacher did not teach you but that does not mean it is not in the law.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
my old man wasn't taught any of todays rules when he got his licence as they weren't around then. i guess that means he doesn't have to abide by them?
Old 30-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:

On general use of indicators (or lack thereof) I think you'll find that's often because one hand is used for the steering wheel and the other hand that should be free for the indicator is holding a mobile phone, ipad, ipod, lipstick, newspaper, body part etc.
spot on. often, if you are waiting to enter a roundabout, you can't see where the car on the roundabout came from. all you see is the car coming toward you from the right, so its only courteous to let everyone else know when you are exiting. if you have both hands available for driving (as you should) then its hardly a hard task!
Old 30-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
It's not up to the individual, it is the law. Seems your teacher did not teach you but that does not mean it is not in the law.
Its a law but its stupid, no way in hell am I going to indicate anywhere near or inside or on the way out of a roundabout UNLESS I was turning left or right, people have a hard time using roundabouts as it is, especially in busy roundabouts where you've gotta be 100% on the ball, planning your exit strategy or you will never get through where people rely on indicators rather than what people are doing. Why would you indicate left when you're going straight through a roundabout?

Another thing is with roundabouts, its not "give way to the right" here in Victoria, its "give way to ALL vehicles in the roundabout", so basically who ever gets in first has right of way regardless if another vehicle is on your right side, if you're passed the dotted lines first you've got right of way rather than the person on your right who is approaching the lines.

I hate roundabouts, if its that bad you need a multi lane roundabout, and theres many cars going through you should just turn it into an intersection with traffic lights, roundabouts should only be used for housing estates, or in Sunbury which is roundabout city, its like the testing grounds for roundabouts I reckon, they've got some stupid ones with pedestrian crossings basically inside the roundabout, so while you're busy looking for cars, someone would be crossing the road in front of you while you're not looking directly in front.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #46
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its a law but its stupid, no way in hell am I going to indicate anywhere near or inside or on the way out of a roundabout UNLESS I was turning left or right, people have a hard time using roundabouts as it is, especially in busy roundabouts where you've gotta be 100% on the ball, planning your exit strategy or you will never get through where people rely on indicators rather than what people are doing. Why would you indicate left when you're going straight through a roundabout?
it is not useless on a larger roundabout - it is courteous. you are never go straight through a roundabout. you have entered a roundabout and you must get off the roundabout. therefore at the exit you choose to get off it, you must indicate

for sure on the small mickey mouse ones we have in surburbia, i don't always, but anything that is big enough for a truck to go through i do - it is the law and it is not up to me to decide which ones i agree with . . . . although i agree with this one
Old 30-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Its a law but its stupid, no way in hell am I going to indicate anywhere near or inside or on the way out of a roundabout UNLESS I was turning left or right,
try going through a roundabout WITHOUT turning left or right

seriously, there is no 'straight ahead'.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

http://hereforlife.qld.gov.au/Campai...es/Roundabouts

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 30-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
try going through a roundabout WITHOUT turning left or right

seriously, there is no 'straight ahead'.
Yes there is, from my perspective:

http://g.co/maps/hsc2k

Go through the roundabout, to me that is going "straight ahead".

And that stupid roundabout is one that SHOULD BE BLOODY TRAFFIC LIGHTS! It gets that busy because it basically links the 4 major parts of the town. Look where the freakin' pedestrian crossing is as well.

Another stupid "roundabout":

http://g.co/maps/mfwfz
Old 30-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #50
Jamies460

Getting Back to the Blinkers................... My comment is No Blinker No Brain, People who do not indicate when merging Left/Right or changing lanes are just pure lazy, I do know a lady in her 70's who refuses to use her Indicators while driving.......... I asked her why & she replied she feels she doe's not feel like using them, She will kill some-one one day................. So stay away from the Central Coast as thats where she lives !!!
Old 30-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I had a look at that. No, you are going into the roundabout and exiting it. You're not going straight ahead, you're going round till you get to your exit.

I blame the road authorities for all this for not explaining it properly!

Until folk understand this we'll continue to get lack of proper signalling and accidents at roundabouts.
Old 30-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #52
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And that stupid roundabout is one that SHOULD BE BLOODY TRAFFIC LIGHTS! It gets that busy because it basically links the 4 major parts of the town. Look where the freakin' pedestrian crossing is as well.

Another stupid "roundabout":

http://g.co/maps/mfwfz
As a fellow Sunbury resident...I concur 100%.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
Old 30-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #53
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Thanks for every ones replies, vast majority agree with me. Does anyone think they are not required. Surely some members are guilty of not using them...their input would be interesting, might spark some hot debate. Hmmmm.

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Old 30-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #54
prydey
Rob

Quote:

actually the gap road one is a good example of why indictors SHOULD be used on exit. if you enter that roundabout in the inner lane, and a car waiting to enter to your left can't see any indication, they may assume that you are continuing around to the next exit, and try to merge into the outer lane.

obviously they wouldn't be 'giving way' but a simple indication would make them aware that you are exiting, rather than risk them trying to join you in your passenger seat.

slightly off topic, i have actually been straight through a roundabout before. i mean 'straight' as in not turning. i was quite young and had a bushbasher and it went everywhere
Old 30-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I had a look at that. No, you are going into the roundabout and exiting it. You're not going straight ahead, you're going round till you get to your exit.

I blame the road authorities for all this for not explaining it properly!

Until folk understand this we'll continue to get lack of proper signalling and accidents at roundabouts.
Which I deem as going "straight ahead".

You're basically just driving around an obstruction, but you're going straight (directly opposite) from the road you came out of.

In that gap road roundabout, never, ever will you indicate other than where you are turning, I bet you 100% if you tried the indicate left stunt you'd cause a massive pile-up.

Also here is the VicRoads website which mentions roundabouts, it says if practical signal left when you exit the roundabout so it is a law here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...oundabouts.htm

Under the section:

Going straight ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
actually the gap road one is a good example of why indictors SHOULD be used on exit. if you enter that roundabout in the inner lane, and a car waiting to enter to your left can't see any indication, they may assume that you are continuing around to the next exit, and try to merge into the outer lane.

obviously they wouldn't be 'giving way' but a simple indication would make them aware that you are exiting, rather than risk them trying to join you in your passenger seat.

slightly off topic, i have actually been straight through a roundabout before. i mean 'straight' as in not turning. i was quite young and had a bushbasher and it went everywhere
The next exit in that roundabout would be on your right if you where in the inner lane, so you'd have to indicate right.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 30-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

Old 30-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #57
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

There were traffic lights there years ago, in fact they were the only traffic lights in Sunbury at the time.

Then the council came along and took away the lights, and put the roundabout there (I think in the late '80s). Local panel beaters must have been running short of work. Then the pedestrian crossings came later.

I read sometime ago they are going to put lights back there, but the way things happen in Sunbury I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #58
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette01
I see it more and more every day, it's just too hard to reach for the indicator lever when changing lanes. 10 years ago this wouldn't be seen. Today, however, common place. Have the laws changed? Are people too busy or too important to use a tiny bit of courtesy. If I point this out to someone who has done exactly this, I become the one who is doing wrong. Am I old fashioned? Did they change the law? Some one please tell me whats going on
I always obay the road rules when I'm driving my 4WD, but when I get behind the wheel of the F6, something happens, I don't know what it is, but I virtually disregard road rules. I attribute it to my frustration level increasing 100 fold when I drive the F6. People in WA can't merge, can't keep left, can't drive at the speed limit (typically 5-10km/h under) and so forth. Toyota drivers are by far the largest culprits. I guess idiot drivers are just attracted to Toyota's. So, I do what they do, and disregard road rules.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
There were traffic lights there years ago, in fact they were the only traffic lights in Sunbury at the time.

Then the council came along and took away the lights, and put the roundabout there (I think in the late '80s). Local panel beaters must have been running short of work. Then the pedestrian crossings came later.

I read sometime ago they are going to put lights back there, but the way things happen in Sunbury I wouldn't hold my breath.
Parents where saying when they lived in Sunbury in the 80s, the towns population was around 13,000 people and you're right about that roundabout being traffic lights.

It doesn't cut the mustard now Sunbury is pushing 31,000 people and the town is getting very busy.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #60
gtxb67

Quote:
In that gap road roundabout, never, ever will you indicate other than where you are turning, I bet you 100% if you tried the indicate left stunt you'd cause a massive pile-up
why would there be a massive pile up. after you have passed the relevant entry and exit, you simply flick the indicator stalk up and then exit at your turn off

even with the pedestrian crossing, i don't understand what the problem is. you go when it is safe, you wait when it is not
Closed Thread