Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
using XR6 was bad enough when they had a perfectly good name with some history to boot in GS.
I remember thinking when the XR6 first came out that it sounded like some jap motor bike .
GS was just an option pack for the range, the 'XR' nameplate was used to pay homage to Ford Australias original performance machine the XR Falcon.

I think theres a little more history involved with the XR considering it was Fords first V8 Falcon and the original GT.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would like to hear from somebody, anybody, who refused to buy a g6e because it wasn't called fairmont ghia...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #33
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
i would like to hear from somebody, anybody, who refused to buy a g6e because it wasn't called fairmont ghia...

Thats the point, a Ford enthusiast or motor enthusiast would still buy a Fg Fairmont Ghia Turbo. Its the non-enthusiast, not FordForum follower which is the point, they dont know or care about the G6E. So you have lost sales without gaining them elsewhere (maybe a few XR6 buyers would prefer G6 but they would of bought a Falcon anyway)

If they renamed Calais to Commodore G6, you would see a drop in sales. A big drop.

Can you believe only a few years ago Japan wanted the new Corolla to be called Auris. Toyota Australia thought that small move cost them 20,000 sales over 3 years... It didnt happen, but the change went ahead in other world markers.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #34
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

When I think of fairmont Ghia I think of an xf or and xd or an el, older falcons which suited the fairmont and ghia names, the fg suits well with g6 and so forth, I believe ford ended the fairmont ghia at the right time, the g6 sounds new, fresh and modern, why drag it back into the 90s and 80s
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Thats the point, a Ford enthusiast or motor enthusiast would still buy a Fg Fairmont Ghia Turbo. Its the non-enthusiast, not FordForum follower which is the point, they dont know or care about the G6E. So you have lost sales without gaining them elsewhere (maybe a few XR6 buyers would prefer G6 but they would of bought a Falcon anyway)
You keep saying this but the problem is that there isn't any evidence to support it whatsoever. Yes Falcon sales are down overall, but that is due to a rapidly changing marketplace with different demands. The G-series easily sell as well in comparison to the rest of the range (if not better) as the B-series Fairmont models they replaced.

The demographic you are referring to doesn't even know what a Fairmont is, it's a name (Fairmont) within a name (Falcon). Yes it isn't badged a Falcon but it most certainly is and people (especially 'casual' buyers) will classify it as such.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take Nissans example, they changed Pulsar to Tiida and sales have collapsed. Next model, Pulsar is back.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Take Nissans example, they changed Pulsar to Tiida and sales have collapsed. Next model, Pulsar is back.

Toyota changed Echo to Yaris and its still going gun ho.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #38
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can use a million examples from other car manufacturers but they are all irrelevant. The simple fact is the G-series nameplate has been out for years and the impact it has had is negligible, if not slightly positive since Ford are modernising and responding to trends in the marketplace.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #39
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if Ford will keep the G6 name as the Titanium name spreads into the Territory, and now features on the new US Focus. As part of 'One Ford' do all high series models have to wear the Titanium badge?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well maybe im in the minority, but the name Fairmont is known and therefore worth millions. The most coverted measure of a marketers job is brand recognition, brand recognition is everything in getting sales.

Look at the previous model Kia Sportage and Optima, two of the worst cars on the market yet not even they changed their names with the release of the two critically acclaimed new models, Sportage has a 6 month waiting list, Optima is expected to be up to 12 months.

Heck I remember in the 90s, the Calais name was starting to get very very daggy, especially against the Tickford modified Fairmont Ghias. Holden didnt chicken-out and throw out a recognised name, they simply brought out better and better product. Now every second executive lease vehicle seems to be a Calais.

People talk about targeting the younger demographic, who is this mysterious younger person buying 1.8 tonne family cars? oh right, either they dont exist or they are already buying an XR6. Whats wrong with going after tradtional buyers and broadening Falcons appeal a bit, after all Australia has an ageing population - so its a growth market!

I think dismal FG sales also suggest something isnt clicking..

Personally I would of had the G6 the Fairmont, and the G6E the Fairmont Ghia, with the G6ET as the Fairmont Ghia Turbo. I dont prefer the Fairmont names, but they would be selling more than now, maybe a few thousand a year extra. But motoring enthusiasts who know cars inside out would not think that, you got to think like the other 90% of the population.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #41
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Toyota changed Echo to Yaris and its still going gun ho.

Echo wasnt an established name in the market. Also Toyota backs this up with extensive positioning advertising. Its a very expensive exercise, Toyota Australia didnt want to change the name but was forced to. They got to keep Corolla because Toyota US also kicked up a stink.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #42
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are attributing the FG sales to a model within it's platform which absurd, how does somebody decide they don't want an XT because they don't recognise the G6ET? It makes no sense at all.

You can repeat it all you want but there is nothing to support your claims at all. There is no single bit of evidence to suggest the G-series have effected the Falcon let alone the luxury variants.

Why do the G-series vehicles sell as well in comparison to the rest of the range as the Fairmont did in the previous model?

You said "maybe a few thousand a year extra" in regards to how many more sales the Fairmont badge would produce, are you even aware of how many Fairmonts/G-series sell a year? You might want to check that just to see how ridiculous that estimation is.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #43
RAPID_BA
Banned

Ford tried the t series, good cars but only sold a handful, then the gt name is back and bada bing.

Fairmont name is older than gt isnt it?

Why dont they ignore the gt and call it the fpv force 8? Oh they tried that, tail between legs and call it gt-e.

Fairmont will be back, mark my words.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #44
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't the G6 replace the " Futura " model?

And the G6 Limited Edition replace the Fairmont, the G6E of course placing the Ghia.

You're forgetting the Futura in this tirade.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #45
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Ford tried the t series, good cars but only sold a handful, then the gt name is back and bada bing.

Fairmont name is older than gt isnt it?

Why dont they ignore the gt and call it the fpv force 8? Oh they tried that, tail between legs and call it gt-e.

Fairmont will be back, mark my words.

It will be interesting to see what this new CEO does (RTV please).

But seriously, if Taurus, the most hated and loathed name in modern vehicles in the US can return, then anything is possible.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

And the G6 Limited Edition replace the Fairmont, the G6E of course placing the Ghia.

just do what Holden did when Holden moved the Berlina down and got rid of the Acclaim. Fairmont becomes the G6 with Futura gone.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #47
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
just do what Holden did when Holden moved the Berlina down and got rid of the Acclaim. Fairmont becomes the G6 with Futura gone.
So let me get his right?

There were the following BA/BF models? Correct?

- Falcon XT
- Futura
- Falcon XR6 / Turbo
- Falcon XR8
- Fairmont
- Fairmont Ghia

More or less in that order.

Now theres the following FG models? Correct?

- Falcon XT
- G6
- Falcon XR6 / Turbo
- Falcon XR8
- G6 Limited Edition
- G6E / G6E Turbo

Again, more or less in that order.

Mmmm, ummmm. Still, I'm pretty evident the G6 replaced the Futura. Being the model up from the XT and all.. I guess the devils in the details.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #48
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I wouldn't know a Gxx from a Gxxxxxx, put a name to it instead of some half arsed numeral and it makes sense.....there all just Falcons now with a numeral to distinguish one from the other....kind of like the Russian/Korean/Japanese fishing fleets....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:

futura was retired, as was acclaim in commodore line up. g6 is fairmont equivalent, limited edition is exactly that, a limited edition g6. not an extra model.

Quote:
I think dismal FG sales also suggest something isnt clicking..
you are one of many on here that seem to think the falcon sales should continue on as they have in the past, even though the large car segment is dwindling. we both know falcon had an ordinary month but don't forget commodore was also down over 1000 sales and where did other large cars feature??

it is the shrinking segment and the large variety of choice that is causing the lower sales numbers of falcon, not the car itself or whatever badge is on the boot.

when i was looking for my xr6, i also looked at g6's as they are very similarly priced. to me, they still come across as being a grandpa car (as did the fairmont). it wouldn't matter what badge was on it. personally i think they should get rid of xt and just have the g6 as the base model.

while we are on the subject of name changes, what about gl, gli, forte and xt? should we go back to gli for base model? or forte?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #50
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

How many years did it take to get the brand recognition of Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia. I do not agree with the name change and never will. What the hell is a G6E. Everybody that has a licence knows what a Fairmont Ghia is/was. 50% of people i tell about the G6E turbo has no clue what it is and quickly lose interest. Holden might have change the Name from SLE to Calais but that was in 1985 not 2008 when Ford was trying to win customers. This name has always been related to luxury cars that had something to offer over the Falcon. The could have had the XT, G6, G6E and Fairmont Ghia Turbo.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #51
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
How many years did it take to get the brand recognition of Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia. I do not agree with the name change and never will. What the hell is a G6E. Everybody that has a licence knows what a Fairmont Ghia is/was. 50% of people i tell about the G6E turbo has no clue what it is and quickly lose interest. Holden might have change the Name from SLE to Calais but that was in 1985 not 2008 when Ford was trying to win customers. This name has always been related to luxury cars that had something to offer over the Falcon. The could have had the XT, G6, G6E and Fairmont Ghia Turbo.
2008, with Ford trying to win customers, they came up with a fresher name.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #52
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blaa blaa and while your at it bring back the Falcon 500.. to me the 'G' hits the spot........
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G6E is a fantastic logo.

One of the fastest-growing car companies, Hyundai have scrapped a lot of their car names and replaced it when iXX. i20, 30 and 45 are three, and there are more.

They sell well. People have short attention spans now - all that sugar and hormones in the food...

Apple putting an, 'i' in front of everything is a great marketing tool.

Even Vegemite tried to horn in on it...thank heavens they got rid of that.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #54
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2008, with Ford trying to win customers, they came up with a fresher name.

Meanwhile Falcon is no longer in the top 10...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #55
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I think that has more to do with the car itself regardless of the badge. The N14/15 Pulsar SSS was a much better car.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Its just January. They were in the top 10 last year. How about letting the year unfold before starting with your rubbish.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #57
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Brick wall alert.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #58
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I vote for Fairmont Ghia. Tacking Ghia on the end of anything just makes me think luxury straght away regarless of what it is. I just like it.

Also, if you tell someone you have a Fairmont Ghia they immediately know what it is. If you mention a G6E, you usually get a strange look.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #59
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I saw a G6ET at a servo, someone debadged it and placed fairmont ghia badges on it. I took a photo too

I was thinking to myself he calls a spade a spade
I'm sure you did!! Post up the pic.

You see more G series cars on the road than BA-BF Fairmont/ Ghias.

And before you all start going on that I am biased because I own a G6ET, I couldn't give a rats @rse what the car was called.

I bought the car for what it is ( a bloody great car) and not what it was called. If anyone really thinks that people aren't buying the G series because of the name then I really think you need to get a reality check.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep.. someones got their bum lips on.....
Closed Thread