Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #31
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A FG F6 for 90 grand less...Or GTS for 80k less...What a joke...You could have both for the price of this...Maybe even with 10grand change if it comes in at the higher price
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #32
GT 4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_230
168k for a holden............................................ ..............
well that just says it all
exactly
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #33
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well lets do some maths shall we:

There are two million dollar plus lotteries a week (Oz lotto and Powerball) plus Monday, Wednesday and Saturday Lotto. So that is 5 cashed up bogans being made a week. Multiply that by 52 weeks in a year and you have 260 cashed up bogans a year which is about the WD40's production figure.

I think these are the figures HSV were looking at.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #34
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Why wouldn't you just get a C6 ZO6 instead? Much faster and better looking, and certainly a better handler to boot.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ludicrous!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #36
XlR8TED

If I was stupidly rich (Bill Gates rich) I would buy one.

Then I could put on my best Ford shirt, douse it in kero and set it on fire...whilst a mate taped the whole thing and uploaded it to youtube.

The car may not be worth that much, but the reactions on Holden fan boys would be.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #37
TZENU
XY Driv3r

From my perspective it would be hard to justify that kind of money on a Ford or Holden..
IMO, those that have suposedly already sold would be going to the collectors or cashed up bogans who would proably be under the Illusion that one day these cars would be worth so much more than what they are buying them for.. (thank the muscle car craze for that!)
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #38
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Eagle Auto sell 427 ls motors for around 22 grand.

Im sure a conversion would end up 50 grand cheaper.....
What about the all the accessories to run the engine, special gearbox, diff, suspension, brakes and ADR compliance? not to mention the interior etc that is unique to this car..?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #39
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Crap, there must be a lot of cashed up bogans out there. Supercar performance for a supercar price! Lol I hope the F6 matches it in a straight line - imagine the look on the owners face if he was beaten on the quarter.
"That can't be stock"
"Sure is..."

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You could buy a GTS for probably 70k, spend say 20k fitting the 427 crate engine in place of the LS3 that you could sell, get a Mal Wood built T56 for around 3k? and another 10k on a top notch coil over suspension and huge brake kit, and forgo the lairy red leather and crap exterior look for probably 40-50k cheaper. Who cares about warranty, you could blow up 2 engines and still come in cheaper.

As for the diff durability, all HSV have done to the WD40 is shot peen the diff gears.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #41
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

GT-R > W427.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You could buy a GTS for probably 70k, spend say 20k fitting the 427 crate engine in place of the LS3 that you could sell, get a Mal Wood built T56 for around 3k? and another 10k on a top notch coil over suspension and huge brake kit, and forgo the lairy red leather and crap exterior look for probably 40-50k cheaper. Who cares about warranty, you could blow up 2 engines and still come in cheaper.

As for the diff durability, all HSV have done to the WD40 is shot peen the diff gears.
It won't be a Genuine Factory built vehicle though.. and there in lies the biggest problem, anyone can throw money at a base model vehicle and modify it to go fast, but it will only ever just be that, a modified car.... with all the issues associated with aftermarket modified vehicles such as poor reliability, no warranty, poor manners, no ADR compliance..
Factory performance carries far more "street cred" IMO.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
MitchG

Still just looks very much like a the average VE commo...

No comparison IMO, this thing is just in a class of its own...

MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bet the W427 is more popular here though...

Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #45
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it buy you?

Along with a bit of power, it gives you exclusivity, because I can't see people willing to spend that much when you can get a car that is better built and more refined.

I preferred the Coupe 60 anyway.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #46
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I'm not a big fan of the W427 OR the GT-R. Both are too heavy IMO. Sure all the mags are talking up the GTR, but for the real scoop I'd check out Corner-cavers.com. For all the Nurburgring times it supposedly pulls, the GT-R is still getting annihilated by the Dodge Viper in the One Lap of America.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
"Dis dat W247 fing huh?! I got a posta of it from da motashow ... what a roket of a car. I like da red interia braaah. Will u have my missus' babies?"
thats gold mate
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or how about $45,000 on a car, $100,000 towards a house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #49
shane3
FPV GT 0915

At work at the moment we are doing the headers for this car (HM Headers), very big set of headers and MASSIVE out lets.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #50
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I don't think anyone is talking down the motor, or to some extent even the car. It's just the price seems insane.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #51
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
not 160 000 times the 'cred' though :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I don't think anyone is talking down the motor, or to some extent even the car. It's just the price seems insane.
The price is representative of the extremely low volume build of a car that is significantly higher in performance than its donor sibling.
It costs an enormous amount of money to R+D and test components to meet ADR's and achieve warranty at an elevated performance level.
These costs must be amortised over the model life, someone has to pay for it.
You can't have your cake and eat it too, if FPV did a GTHO it would cost about the same.. if you want companies like HSV and FPV to build these kinds of vehicles for the uniquely Australian large performance sedan market then you're going to have to accept they're going to be expensive....

If not, you can allways go and aftermarket "rice up" a GTS or GT.... if that floats your boat.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It won't be a Genuine Factory built vehicle though.. and there in lies the biggest problem, anyone can throw money at a base model vehicle and modify it to go fast, but it will only ever just be that, a modified car.... with all the issues associated with aftermarket modified vehicles such as poor reliability, no warranty, poor manners, no ADR compliance..
Just trying to highlight how expensive the WD40 is when you could build a better performing one for heaps less. Developments costs are always a factor in low build run vehicles but the price is just ridiculous considering how little different it is from the GTS. More than double. :

Poor reliability from a crate engine thats exactly the same as what HSV get from the factory, probably in the same box?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #54
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
If not, you can allways go and aftermarket "rice up" a GTS or GT.... if that floats your boat.
: That word ruined a good post, the talk was about adding a bigger motor, from the US, into an Aussie built car. Not rice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ld say that HSV are overcharging a bit on this car, i think $130 000 could be a achievable and fair price.

The R35 at a similar price offer's way more performance and features the W427, and will out sell it. (Even though they are a bit different)

No to mention the 427 looks a bit more, um, 'unfortunate' then the other HSV's

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just trying to highlight how expensive the WD40 is when you could build a better performing one for heaps less. Developments costs are always a factor in low build run vehicles but the price is just ridiculous considering how little different it is from the GTS. More than double. :

Poor reliability from a crate engine thats exactly the same as what HSV get from the factory, probably in the same box?
There is allot more differences between this car and a GTS, i promise you.
LCT is a factor in price don't forget, but say it cost just $10 mill to fund research, (don't forget wages), develop, tool up, manufacture and promote this vehicle.. that's $50,000 per vehicle to amortise if they build 200, then ad the cost of the low run stronger and better bits... it ads up very quickly..

Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #56
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
They've got to be kidding right? CSV will dump an LS7 in your current GTS along with intake, exhaust and suspension mods for $50K cheaper and you still get a warranty. How can HSV charge that much when a backyard (no offence of CSV but in the context of who they are being compared to the comment is more of an example of relativity rather than an insult as it reflects badly on HSV not them) tunehouse from country Victoria can charge $110K.
Good Point there.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CSV don't offer full warranty and the LS7 they built was a "one off" not forsale....

Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #58
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

$168,000 for a car with the same build quality as a $35000 commo. Gotta be an idiot.
Holdens own IQ test. If you buy one you make a donkey look smart. C63 AMG, M3, GTR, even a Ferrari 355, 04 Carrera................ or a hsv? Those other cars you get more than a fancy engine (if you could even call it that)

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #59
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What about the all the accessories to run the engine, special gearbox, diff, suspension, brakes and ADR compliance? not to mention the interior etc that is unique to this car..?
A t56 could handle the grunt, if a 550 hp viper can, the t56 will cope.

Suspension and brakes in a Clubsport are pretty much 2nd to none (in the Aus side of things) a brembo upgrade would be plenty.

As for unique interior, You might want to ask Walkinshaw how many VE walky enhanced Clubbies they've sold.... im sure the stock and sporty clubsport interior would suffice for most.

Accesories, the PCM Suite would be fine, they have coped with strokers, supercharged, turbos and all of the above, dont see the harm in a motec though. ADR wise, it would be relatively straight forward.

All that in a Fourdoor at that too. Even HRT 427 was at least a coupe.

I know it will be the badge that will let me know that its a 427, too many cammed up, stroked commodores getting around for it to stand out.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #60
GTP290

Well nothing suprises me anymore, $750000 for a restored phase 3, $900000 for a 427 vx 2 door monaro, now this, mind you its probarbly better value than the previous 2 cars i have just mentioned.
Goes to show what a bargain the djr 320s were, it was only 50 kws down(ok thats a fair bit but it was a few years ago) and they sold for under half the price of the W427