Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you bought a second hand ex-government vehicle, changed the suspension which directly affects the operation of the IRS and therefore the diff, state that "I did not buy a XR6T to keep it standard" and get rolled on a warranty claim?

Do you think "I did not by a XR6T to go slow" be a good defence against a speeding ticket?

Many "minor modders" get away with stuff because they bought their car new for the same dealer they are getting it serviced by and the dealer wants to keep them happy but unfortunately you have no such leverage.

Now what "secret" flash tune, air/exhaust/IC/injector mods have you also done? They can tell with the BFs.
Laughable isn't it...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrih8hsv
if it makes every body happy im paying for the diff out of my pocket ive never heard so much dribble so nobody on this forum modifies there car keep up the dribble
The people here know just as well as anyone else what its like to go through modifying your ford and warranty issues.

Ive got a funny feeling your relationship with the dealer isn't that strong. Perhaps you should have sorted that first.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
''THE MOMENT YOU MODIFY YOUR VEHICLE YOU BECOME THE MANUFACTURER''
if a problem arises in a component unrelated to a modification, the manufacturer is still obligated to warrant the repair.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #34
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

ffs cut the crap or I'll start handing out holidays.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if it makes every body happy im paying for the diff out of my pocket
thats the way Ford like it, whether you modify the car or not, at least where diffs are concerned.

mine had driveline clunk like a clapped out troopie, and Ford said either 'they all do that' or 'its within tolerance'. if that clunk is within tolerance, then Ford are the most tolerant bunch I know, and will disappear into obscurity without so much as a peep.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #36
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
my Ford dealer said they would still honour warranty if the modification is unrelated to the part that needs attention. whats crap about that?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #37
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

got to keep all the bits you change so you can return it to standard b4 a visit to fraud. Even the original air cleaner element if you have fitted after market cai. You do realise on every car sold is a margin to cover the so called "warranty work" so really it's not free all new car owners pitch in so to speak and those with problems get value of it those that have a tuesday build car never need it. Just like any insurance policy. Warranty work is a cost to the manufacturer only on paper if it becomes a REAL cost the item your buying will increase in purchase price to compensate it's called running at a profit.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #38
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
my Ford dealer said they would still honour warranty if the modification is unrelated to the part that needs attention. whats crap about that?
My post was not directed at any individual but rather everyone in this thread.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
if it makes every body happy im paying for the diff out of my pocket ive never heard so much dribble so nobody on this forum modifies there car keep up the dribble
I did not read that anywhere.. I think every poster here has modified our cars.. We just dont cry as loud as you when things go wrong.

Flappist hit the nail on the head...

Be a good customer and don't play games with the dealer and your ok.... Just like my diff bush in the XR6T thats getting replaced under warranty next week... They know I have "played" and tuned. But they Love me

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #40
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

do the holidays include drinks?

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #41
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Its only crap because its anti ford. Typical of this forum, its why i barely come back here. Say something remotely anti ford and its holiday time.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #42
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB
Its only crap because its anti ford. Typical of this forum, its why i barely come back here. Say something remotely anti ford and its holiday time.
Thats only so we can bag Toyota's while your not around
Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #43
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB
No, acting like a clown will get you a holiday. Drop it.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #44
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Mate i think you have copped the rough end of the stick, firstly it is not ford that warranty's the diff it's the manufacturer DANA/BTR.

I have had heaps of mates with modified vehcles, Air filters, suspension and never a prob (BF GT has a BMC filter fitted to it so that is ok, but if you have a bmc fitted to a XR8 it's not ) Give us a break.

Technicaly the diff angle has not been altered as it's IRS, but the drive shaft angles have.
Back lash is afected via pinion mainley.
Go to another dealer but lift it back and see how you go .

Cheers Mick.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #45
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
just put your stock springs back in and take it to them
Is this really a viable way to get around the voided warranty issue?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #46
Boss 5.4

I have had many things on my car replaced under warranty, all after I had fitted extractors and full exhaust, CAI and BMC filter. these included (in order) clutch, Engine rebuild (oil consumption), Diff (leaking), Power steering Pump and rear disks.

I do have a very good relationship with the dealer I go to and have bought cars there previously. I have also taken in a carton of beer before after the engine rebuild as I did have a bit of a s#@t fight with them for a while to get it done but it was inly in frustrasion of having to go back so much, but appreciated the work they did in the end and showed it, but all in all I think it probably depends on how you address them and your attitude, I am in the service industry, and I know that if someone is rude and demanding to me to just try and get something for free, he usually goes to the back of the queue with a little flag on it as a reminder.

Talk to the dealer and ask how has the diff been affected by the suspension... you might get your answer straight up. Because people give you the advice 'you mod you pay' dont have a go, its probably come from experience mate, something you will get over time.

Good luck

past fords:
81 ZJ Fairlane 351C,
03 BA XR8 Falcon 260kw

Last edited by Boss 5.4; 05-11-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #47
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it has suspension mods only springs and nolthan diff bush etc its a knock while driving not on take off the dealer confirmed there is excessive backlash noise and there is a problem yes i will flame ford the diff internals should not be affected by a set of lowered springs its a xcop car was already low
Agree with you, they have to show proof that your mods have caused the Issue & with others who have said really Stupid things like "you play you pay"
& it is ok for Ford to be slack with a Warrenty as other Makers do it, You Guys need to develop a degree of Intelligence :P as they are really Stupid Answers.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #48
mrih8hsv

hey pursuit 250 thanks for the positive and sensable response there is alot more involved in the situation im not going to carry on i took it on the chin (wasnt happy with the decision) but im going to pay for a diff out of my pocket (i just wont use a ford dealer again for services) im a mechanic by trade so agree with your above statement (irs rear end) people are quick to judge and assume
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #49
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as mentioned above until ford prove its the springs that have effected the diff and the car is still under warrenty then they should fix it no questions. If you tried to get damaged guard lips fixed when the car is sitting on 20inch rims the dealer should have every right to say off. Ive had/known of many cars with slightly lowered springs put in and no the diff didnt start knocking the next day, week or year for that matter. Always funny reading the goodie goodie posts. Just remember every rule or law out there isnt for the best, you know sometimes common sense tells you the right things not some stupid rule
Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #50
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quick to judge... no, not really.

As some have stated, they've had stuff replaced under warranty, with modified cars.
Like others on this site, I've been luck (or unlucky) to have worked on the other side of the fence.

It doesn't take much effort to work out what will and what will not be covered under warranty.
If it has been knocked back, there is a reason for it.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 05-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #51
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURSUIT-250
Mate i think you have copped the rough end of the stick, firstly it is not ford that warranty's the diff it's the manufacturer DANA/BTR.
When I purchased my car, I had an invoice from my dealer. There was one item on the invoice - the car.

It was not itemised into individual components, nor was a manufacturer for each component listed.

If I have a problem with the diff, Ford are the ones obligated to fix it, its Fords problem then whether Dana allow a warranty claim on the component they supplied. IF Dana were to go belly up tomorrow, Ford would still be obligated to warrant any diff repairs.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
hey pursuit 250 thanks for the positive and sensable response there is alot more involved in the situation im not going to carry on i took it on the chin (wasnt happy with the decision) but im going to pay for a diff out of my pocket (i just wont use a ford dealer again for services) im a mechanic by trade so agree with your above statement (irs rear end) people are quick to judge and assume
Of course they will assume if you dont give all the info ........If you dont want people to judge or assume ..... tell the whole story rather than "there is alot more involved in the situation but you aren't saying the whole story?

This is the biggest laugh I have had in ages on this subject. You have used ford for services but you are a mechanic ??????? : :togo:

I have had no problems with the dealer I use becuase I talk to them before I do things to ensure all is good.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #53
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah its common knowledge. I mean think about it, Ford spends millions in R&D and then someone plays with it and expects Ford to fully cover it.

Ford should have their own list of mod options that are factory backed. Wouldn't that ruffle some feathers.
They do, its call herrod mate.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #54
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
They do, its call herrod mate.
Still not warranted by Ford...
The bottom line is if you modify your car you take responsibility for what ever 'damage" that may result from mods.... Any performance mod will normally void the entire driveline.
When i bought my last XR8 i had a difillipo exhaust fitted by the dealer before i took delivery, i had to sign a waiver that it and associated parts/driveline were no longer covered by warranty.
Given i had a good relationship with the dealer and have purchased allot of cars from them over the years means id get a more "sympathetic" ear should there be a problem compared with rocking up cold with a second hand car (that probably came from another dealer) heavily modified looking for a freebe...

Old 05-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #55
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Still not warranted by Ford...
The bottom line is if you modify your car you take responsibility for what ever 'damage" that may result from mods.... Any performance mod will normally void the entire driveline.
My mate had a Herod full stainless steel system on his Ba Xr8, never had one problem with ford warranty even though he went there 20+ times because it was a lemon.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #56
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My mate had a Herod full stainless steel system on his Ba Xr8, never had one problem with ford warranty even though he went there 20+ times because it was a lemon.
A good relationship with the dealer goes a long way, if the problems were driveline related they didnt have to look after him if they didnt want to...

Old 05-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #57
loony888

just to add a point here, i don't know if it's common knowledge or not, or whether it's been mentioned, but, ford allocate a certain amount of funds to a dealer for warranty based on their previous turnover of vehicles. month? financial year? not sure, but those funds that are allocated to the dealers are the dealers, whether they are spent on warranty or not. some dealers have a huge year in sales and a % of those vehicles will require warranty work so funds can become tight. on the other hand some (most?) dealers like the idea of skimping on warranty approvals and in doing so they have a nice healthy "bonus" at the end of the period, at customers expense thank you very much.
That being said, i agree with the majority here in saying you mod it, you're responsible for it, i sit on the fence and use herrod stuff, but mine is out of warranty now anyway.

paul.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #58
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Did the dealer fit the exhaust before purchase?

It may well have been covered under a 'dealer' warranty, where the dealer under-writes any issues/claims, not Ford.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #59
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

How can a Exhaust system void driveline warranty used:
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Old 05-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
How can a Exhaust system void driveline warranty used:
If the exhaust improves performance it "may" in the eyes of Ford place extra strain on everything which "may" cause the issues.