Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #31
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
you cant just have it ONE way, which I believe what is trying to be said by the a few members here, either a hoon is someone doing 170+ in a 100zone or its not, its not based on if he did it in a XR6 or a mondeo he is still doing 170+ in a 100zone.

its not a hard concept to work out why people are upset, HOON is just used depending on what type of car you are driving when you crash.

ditto for P plates, 80 yo granny mistakes accelerator for brake and kills 1 in a cafe, P plater looses control in the wet and takes out pedestrian killing one.. end result is the same but I guarantee the latter will be front page and the other snuck in on page 5.

media in general needs a brick to the face.
100% agree. A hoon, by law, is anyone driving dangerously, for example going 170km/h.
It's just that the media pick and choose their stories very carfully.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #32
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
100% agree. A hoon, by law, is anyone driving dangerously, for example going 170km/h.
I guess, with that in mind, the majority of the public are hoons because the majority do sit above the speed limit on our national highways ...... even if it's just over by 3-5kph.

Those of you who spend sometime travelling distance behind the wheel know that for a fact. Sitting on the speed limit, you are rounded up and overtaken regularly...............

But, as some bloke once said, let he who is free of sin cast the first stone. So lets not be to judgemental, we are all guilty of being idiots, fools,etc from time to time.

One good thing about this particular case was the police caught him before he hurt/killed someone ..... and I assume he was alone also.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
DJREB5
love my eb,s

One good thing about this particular case was the police caught him before he hurt/killed someone ..... and I assume he was alone also.

hel yer
DJREB5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and if he wasnt a p plater and wasnt drunk...safely driving on a perfect deserted desert highway in his elantra would he still be a hoon at 170? I dont think so. Its just travelling from a to b.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #35
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
I guess, with that in mind, the majority of the public are hoons because the majority do sit above the speed limit on our national highways ...... even if it's just over by 3-5kph.

Those of you who spend sometime travelling distance behind the wheel know that for a fact. Sitting on the speed limit, you are rounded up and overtaken regularly...............

But, as some bloke once said, let he who is free of sin cast the first stone. So lets not be to judgemental, we are all guilty of being idiots, fools,etc from time to time.

what?

EXCESSIVE is the key word not SPEEDING, if your doing 110 in a 100 zone Ur speeding but unless its ****ing with rain and your running a bluebird with bald tyres would be perfectly safe, 170 in a 100 zone can still be safe but not exactly recommended if in a city/hwy zone, +1 for it being heavily policed the guy is a moron, but you cant treat creeping or sitting in a buffer zone, in the same context as 70k over the limit...

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #36
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what?

You heard!

Speeding is speeding .......... in the eyes of the law.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #37
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is a hoon anyway? I don't think anybody knows - not the police, not the politicians, not the media. All they know is that they can throw the word 'hoon' around to raise revenue, win votes or sell newspapers!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Why is he a "hoon"? He is a speeding driver full stop!
Correct

my dad sometimes speeds in his white camry - that doesn't make him a hoon.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #39
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Whats the point of restricting a Provisional driver to vehicles under 8 cylinders, non turbo, non performance blah blah..when you can do the same speed and do the same dumb irresponsible things in a 4cyl hyundai..
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #40
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Whats the point of restricting a Provisional driver to vehicles under 8 cylinders, non turbo, non performance blah blah..when you can do the same speed and do the same dumb irresponsible things in a 4cyl hyundai..
Exactly mate!

At least I have a better chance of surviving an accident at that speed in a large sedan like an xr6, ss etc then a Hyundai. This whole thread disproves those ***** saying that p platers should all be driving 4 cylinder cars. Your going to get the same accidents, but with a much bigger mess.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #41
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.

Surely you realise that 70Km/h is alottttt faster than 3-5Km/h. If he was going 103, do you think he would have been pulled over, do you think the paper would have written the story, do you think the OP would have started this thread and have all these post, no.
If you knew me, you would know that I don't like the word 'hoon' and how it is represented and interpreted, and no where did I say that Mrs Grandma and her Proton Satria is a hoon for going 63 in a 60 zone.
They are in completly different catorgories and they should not be considered the same.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #42
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't make the rules children.

Speeding is speeding. If I drive at 105ish, I'm speeding. I do get left alone but do get flashed by oncoming unmarked patrol cars as a warning to watch my speed.

All I am saying is that if the posted speed limit is 100, then wouldn't anything over that be deemed speeding in the eyes of the law ...... especially if someone is killed or seriously injuried?

Remove the drink driving from the equation, I bet my lefty that if he had had an accident while driving over the posted speed limit regardless of how much he was over, the media would have had a field day stating that speed was the issue and cause of the accident.

But it seems I'm not entilted to an opinion ..............................
Old 14-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #43
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Exactly mate!

At least I have a better chance of surviving an accident at that speed in a large sedan like an xr6, ss etc then a Hyundai. This whole thread disproves those ***** saying that p platers should all be driving 4 cylinder cars. Your going to get the same accidents, but with a much bigger mess.
Yes these cars will get to high speeds but there is a hell of a lot of difference in the distance needed
to get to these speeds. Lets be honest here we have all driven little buzz boxes that couldn't pull skin
off custard but were still capible of doing an almighty top end speed.

The chances of losing it when flooring it around a corner in the wet in one of these vehicles
and tearing the backend of the car off with a power pole or wiping out a pedestrian is
a lot less than the chances of doing such a thing in a turboed or V8 vehicle.

Which is the reason that the restrictions are in place. I look back to myself and my mates
when we first got our licences and the guttless heaps that we drove compared to
the cars that my nephews are driving at the same age due to it being so easy for them
to get finance compared to what it was for us and seriously it is no wonder so many of
our P platers die on our roads.

As far as I am concerned for the first 3 years on the road ya shouldn't be allowed to drive
anything over 100kw.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #44
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyfer
Exactly, the term 'hoon' should be used to describe a driver's actions, not the type of car that is being driven. Otherwise, in the not too distant future 'hoon' & 'car enthusiast' will be interchangeable words in the media, which unfortunately in the eyes of most of conservative Australians (read: the majority of voters) is taken as 'gospel'.
They already have started - labelling competitors in driving events at the recent Summernats in a controlled motorsport environment off the roads "Hoons". I'm sure the people who spent lots of time and money to prepare a good street machine, trailered the car there and letting the car loose at the right time and place would love to be tarred with that brush.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #45
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
The chances of losing it when flooring it around a corner in the wet in one of these vehicles
and tearing the backend of the car off with a power pole or wiping out a pedestrian is
a lot less than the chances of doing such a thing in a turboed or V8 vehicle.

As far as I am concerned for the first 3 years on the road ya shouldn't be allowed to drive
anything over 100kw.
And yet I remember a thread not long ago about a girl in an excel crashing into a powerpole and dieing. I agree that p platers shouldn't really be allowed to drive a high powered V8, unless for work.

I drive an FG xr6 on p's, a nice, comfortable, SAFE car. It's my work horse.
Nothing over 100kw? I'm not sure how that would solve the problem, except make more of a mess in accidents. Limiting cars will do nothing, I see 'hoons' in piece of crap barina's around fountain gate :togo:

Last edited by kezzer; 15-02-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #46
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont follow a few of the posts here stating that your chances of survivial in a larger car is greater then in a buzz box?

This statement bascially says that if your in a larger car its ok to speed?

Many news reports here show plenty of fatal accidents in crumpledores and falcons.

A few years ago 4 teenagers were killed when their falcon hit a tree at an estimated 130kmh.... do you think that XR6 made one difference?

The engine was thrown 20meters away....

It makes no difference the size of car your driving in high speed accidents folks!

170kmh in a barina, hyundai or falcon head on with a tree wont matter a dam.

Its that sort of thinking which gets people killed "Oh i have a big car i can survive a crash" is fatalistic and flawed.

Poor driving skills and poor driver attitude is why a lot of people, especially those younger lads, get killed.

You can speed on the highway and still be relatively safe, but most drivers are not safe.

Tailgating at 120kmh is that safe?
Over taking on a blind corner or hill?
Lack of smoothness when over taking , i.e: jerking the steering wheel from side to side like playing a video game..
Yacking on the phone..
Driving through red lights..

The problem is that the bad habbits of parents are passed on to their kids while they learn to drive.

I have seen countless mums and dads allowing their kids to speed, not indicate, drive through stop signs, talk on phones etc while displaying their L plates...

Then the issue of parents buying their kids $30 000 cars so their son/ daughter (or going to bank for a loan they cant afford) can look cool, which teaches then nothing about respect or self satisfation for the car because it was "given" to them on a plate, instead of working their ***** off to earn that car.

Seriously most of my mates when we were at school drove around in old datsuns, corollas etc, these days all i see outside schools is crumpledores, most which are V8s.

On average here at least one car a week ends up in someones front yard because (or worse in their house) they cant drive for nuts, most of the time its a male under 27yrs of age and sober!

If the "im bullit proof" atitude isnt removed quickly enough, then they will learn the hard way when they kill someone else, or themsleves.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #47
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Seriously most of my mates when we were at school drove around in old datsuns, corollas etc, these days all i see outside schools is crumpledores, most which are V8s.
you live in tas/nt or act then? because every other state has P plate restrictions.

what I was getting at JC is that there is a HUGE difference between 103 and 170+ in a 100 zone, and you do get treated differently/penality's for it.

the GRIPE I have is that this occurred in NSW with HOON laws, yet he didnt have car confiscated? wtf, if that had of been an falcon/commodore there would have been front page material with it getting towed with a big HOON headline, I don't see how because he is driving a wind up toy he is treated differently to anyone else? perhaps because then they would get public outcry when they realise that you can speed and be a co*khead in any car.

Quote:
a lot less than the chances of doing such a thing in a turboed or V8 vehicle
opposed to under steering onto the footpath and causing the same damage?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #48
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

relax guys really I will go out on a limb here and say that every single car is a weapon of death and destruction regardless of make or power or driveline derivative - the KEY to if any given vehicle will kill is the nut controlling it. I am tired of people blaming anything/anyone for their own stupid and/or foolish behavior it is not the cars fault people get killed in road trauma - even in the event of mechanical failure the car is not at fault a person is for imporoprly maintaining the thing. I am so sick of everybody who does something stupid looking for a scape goat all the time. If it was the car answer me this - how many cars do you see start up and go out for a joyride all alone and smash into people completely unaided? There isn't any because a car is an inanimate object it will not start nor move nor anything else without human intervention. it can never be the fault of the car yet it is blamed all too often. The car doesn't make you drive it fast or "hoon" or speed it is the means used to accomplish this end. When will people wake up and smell their own BS instead of blaming someone/something else for their stupidity.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #49
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
I have to sadly agree with this statement.
Many years ago I had a rather staunch XC that you could hear along time
before you would see it, I also owned a brand new Hyundai Excel as a daily driver.
The suburb I lived in was very conservitive and it use to amaze me peoples reactions to the 2 cars, the Excel I could be flying down the road and no one would notice, the XC on the other hand I could cruise down the road doing 10klms under the limit and people would clutch their children like I was going to lose control mount the foot path and mow them all down.
There's a guy on my street with a hotted-up Skyline R34 who cops a fair bit of lip from the neighbours even though he drives rather sedately.
I, on the other hand, regularly do 45-50kph on the same road in my Fiesta (the CAI roars a bit even under mild acceleration), and the same people give me the thumbs-up.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #50
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I dont follow a few of the posts here stating that your chances of survivial in a larger car is greater then in a buzz box?

This statement bascially says that if your in a larger car its ok to speed?

Many news reports here show plenty of fatal accidents in crumpledores and falcons.

A few years ago 4 teenagers were killed when their falcon hit a tree at an estimated 130kmh.... do you think that XR6 made one difference?

The engine was thrown 20meters away....

It makes no difference the size of car your driving in high speed accidents folks!

170kmh in a barina, hyundai or falcon head on with a tree wont matter a dam.

Its that sort of thinking which gets people killed "Oh i have a big car i can survive a crash" is fatalistic and flawed.
And you might recall a recent accident in a BF xr6 were one girl survived? If this was an excel, she wouldn't have had a chance. Nothing is 100% safe at those speeds, but you would be stupid saying a bigger and much safer car would have no effect on the end result of an accident, compared to a small car. Passive and active safety features save alot of peoples lives every year. One of the reasons the road toll is coming down.

Going back to my original argument, I don't believe p platers should have to drive around in 100kw pieces of unsafe ****.

Whose saying if you are driving a larger car it's ok to speed???? :
Old 15-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #51
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I have to admit, being restricted to horses would be pretty funny.

"I'll make it to work at approximately Wednesday, but there might be a delay because the council just cut the grass on the side of the road, so I need to stop to get Food for my ride every few hours."

We'll be restricted to horses and you guys will have a highway limit of 40km/h.
That would be a lot of horses to feed if ya want the same amount of horses power their cars have. LOL
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #52
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Also seems to me that its the states that have the restrictions on P pltes that have more of these fatal crashes. Or do they just show more than say WA.
There is no restrictions here yet. As far as Im aware anyway. Ya hardly ever here of crashes. I can recall a few they didnt involve a high powered car.
One I do recall. Some idiots has put oil down on the road for them to do burnout and then some inacent drive at a later date hit the patch on a rainy day spun him off into paddock then a power pole. Cos he was driving a v8 ute News would blame him as the idiot.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
stoopsrolly

Lightbulb Agreed

Quote:
its that moronic logic they use as scare tactics and mount a witch hunt and a save the children rally, in reality if you have a look at the stats, its about 2.1% of the entire road toll that is attributed to 'reckless driving' *proper term* or for those that only read the paper 'hooning' - in the doing skid/high speed/dangerous for the conditions driving.

Im really really unsure as to why with NO facts they go off on a tangent and get idiotic laws past and then penalise everyone under the one banner for something that already had a law/punishment just under a different guise and a fairer one, it used to be speeding/failure to maintain control of vehicle/excessive noise and smoke/dangerous driving, now its just HOONING :

public needs to grow up, remember when they were young, understand you cant legislate against stupidity and get rid of this Save the children/save your self from your self mentality.

Why is it that when an accident or incident occurs we the public only through the media have to change the way all should drive

one car accident doesnt justify changing the law for all who do the right thing most of the time and have a laps of containment on the urge to open it up on a empty freeway at 2 am

This has to stop re-action is not the answer to curb the road toll

Trust me i know i was in the car when my girlfriend lost control of the car and hitting the only tree on the road Killing herself instantly and putting me into a coma for 2 weeks her best friend in icu and my mate with a broken collar bone

I say lets cut down all the trees beside the road but once again that is not the answer

people will always speed pepole will always talk on the phone not wear seatbelts etc the list goes on

I got my licsence the same as everyone else i have the right to use the roads as i see fit
my car WILL stop well within 100 mtrs from 100 kph and around 10-15 at 50 kph the responsibility needs to be put back onto pedestrians using the pathways allocated for them and more playing grounds for people to use rather than on the streets where CARS are meant to go

What is it going to take god only knows that soon we will have to hop out and push the car past schools soon enough if another child gets hit before or after school, it cant be that we teach our children to slow down a bit look in both directions and make sure there arent any vehicles BEFORE going out onto the ROAD

A little more time in educating people instead of punishing them for minor mistakes

they say 5 kms over the limit puts you and others into a higher catogorie of an accident
does that mean if your doing 10 over you will miss it all together they dont tell you the facts
they tell you what they want you to hear ..................

Shock you into thinking we need to put in higher speeding fines double demerit points etc

how about being pulled over for a check
getting the all clear and having points added as a bonus or even fuel vouchers
they wont do that will they?
its all about money

i hope i didnt bore you with this but take the time and have a good think about it before replying
cheers stu
stoopsrolly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

There's more than a few posts in this thread that I think would reflect the age of the author. No disrespect anyone.

Me, well, I'm a little older than perhaps most of the forums members, and at different times in my life, have been fortunate to survive the drive.

And like jimmy goose, in my day, we had little 4 cyl cars, hahahaha, my first a Mazda B1600 ute with 4 on the tree. And you know what, me and my mates, we could still squeal the wheels (that was about all) and drive like duds. Very very very rare was the teenager with a hi po car.

Nowadays? There's Unit stickered SS's parked outside schools, the Tafe carpark is full of 'fast cars' , or fullly sick imports. The greater speed potential is obvious.

So, as much as it pains me to suggest, but Jims suggestion is of merit. It won't completely stop the carnage, but may very well reduce some severity, in some situations.

And before all the angry little fellars flame me, as an over the hill had been, non enthusiast pencil neck cardy wearer, let me tell you all I'm not. The cars I drive, the races I take part in, and the dough I poor into my passion would suggest otherwise...

Some of you can't see it now, and won't for many many years, but that day will come, and guess what, the sky won't fall - when the penny does drop.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #55
zdcol71
zdcol71

I will ask first if I have taken this out of context, or if it is a typo
"I got my licsence the same as everyone else i have the right to use the roads as i see fit"
Tragic story stoopsrolly, and my heart goes out to you and all affected by your loss,but if what you write is what you truly believe, then maybe we shouldn't be surprised why we continue to see the carnage we see on the roads.
Nobody has a right to use the roads as they see fit.
There is a lot more in your post that I probably question but not now.

Back to the op, and a lot of subsequent responses; I have said in other threads that wether you agree or not with the road rules, until they are changed, they are the rules that we, as a majority, tolerate. Break the rules and either accept the concequence, or plead your case through the appropriate channels.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #56
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Nowadays? There's Unit stickered SS's parked outside schools, the Tafe carpark is full of 'fast cars' , or fullly sick imports. The greater speed potential is obvious.

So, as much as it pains me to suggest, but Jims suggestion is of merit. It won't completely stop the carnage, but may very well reduce some severity, in some situations.
The roadtoll has been dropping since your day. Greater speed yeah, but any car can speed.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #57
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see that because this isn't a high powered car there isn't any posts in this thread from the majority of the anti p-plate brigade, that come up with every reason under the sun as to tell us what we should and should not be able to drive. Hyundai's must be to powerful for us to eh?

On a funnier note I followed an exel the other day that had a massive sticker on the back window. It read 'Hyundai, living the dream'. Surely taking the p!ss?
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post