Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i used to do a lot of travelling from melbourne to canberra/sydney and have had good and bad experiences, some renegade truckers swerving all over the place, overtaking me on the newell at 120 and over, forcing me off the road.. but they're far outweighed by the good. Always take the time at night to flash them in if they're overtaking, and apreciate the mutual respect displayed by most in the 'thank you' indicator flick.

I always wanted to be a truckie, no idea why, probably the whole road trip thing that i still enjoy.
Old 26-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #32
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSBF
Pretty simple concept hey. While that maybe correct for a young pup, the average age of truck drivers today is between 48 and 60, most have worked in this industry all their lives. So you have someone who entered transport in the 60s or 70s, when the industry was much different, with limited scholastic achievement/ability. Nowdays with the changes in the industry that have occured over the last 10 or so years there is a raft of people out there who are bound to the job by necessity. My old man for example, 63 year old and still averaging 5000km/week, because he loves it? Not on your life, because he cannot find any other work. Who wants a bloke who has driven trucks for the last 45 years and done nothing else? I understand this is nobodies fault, but the way it is.

In summary I think that the knockers should pull your heads in and comment on topics you actually know something about. Looks as though there is some ignorance and an inability to acknowlege a job well done with some people.
Absolutely spot on and well said - congratualtions to you (and your dad)
Old 26-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My old man for example, 63 year old
Hey your dad beat me...... but only just
Quote:
and still averaging 5000km/week, because he loves it? Not on your life, because he cannot find any other work.
Sounds like me. I only still drive because I dont know how to mow lawns!
Quote:
Who wants a bloke who has driven trucks for the last 45 years and done nothing else? I understand this is nobodies fault, but the way it is.
Who? Most major companies, thats who. they're just not allowed to say in job adverts.
Old 26-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I only still drive because I dont know how to mow lawns!
luckily your wife knows how to stop the grass growing.... even if it did leave a trail of brown footprints

giving away a few secrets at the top there too. my ol' man is 61 and given that he was born and raised on a farm before taking up trucks in his teens, he's been behind the wheel of something from about 4yrs old.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #35
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
luckily your wife knows how to stop the grass growing.... even if it did leave a trail of brown footprints
His wife is not the only one to have done that -