Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ban P Platers over Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Is that a joke? Can I ask what your reasons are?

I'm sick of the general population having ths hate for p-platers.
Sure some are tossers, but so are many blokes in their 20's, 30's, 40's etc. We get targeted because we have a sign on our cars saying 'I love to speed and race and do mad burnouts and never stop at crossings and kick aniamals'.

I cannot think of how many times in the last 2 years odd that some lady in her 50's or 60's have shook their heads or waved their finger or just flat out give me the finger for no apparent reason. They assume that becasue I have P's I must be speeding, not giving them enough time to pull out. Yet I have my cruise set on 60 (or whatever the speed is) doing nothing wrong.
I've had people call me a **** wit p-plater at lights for no reason at all. I'm not talking crap I literally cannot think of a reason why this lady swore at me.

I cop something atleast once a week, either a dirty look or an angry point or the bird or straight out abuse. Sick to death of it.

I'm not saying I'm a great driver, but I make a conscious effort to be a considerate driver, which is more than can be said for alot of the turds who think they own the road. I think doing that makes me a 'safer' driver than alot of those out there.
+1

A responsible P-Plated driver can not drive down the road in a quiet area where they drive every other day for what other reason than simply because they aren't as experienced?

If people judge you as a bad driver just because you're on a provisional licence is heading towards discrimination. If there were a high number of people that came from one particular ethnic origin that were criminals, does that mean we should treat everyone else from the same country like crooks? No, because that would be racism. That is the same when it comes to P-Platers, just because there are so many hoon/bogan P-Plated lunatics out there or just incompetent drivers does not suddenly mean everyone who holds a provisional licence is the same.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #32
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
For one your comparing car racing with driving on the road, two completely different things. And yes people learn at different levels, but no P Plater is a good driver, as I said yes there are SAFE P platers and knowing how a car works does help, but P platers are still learning, thats why they wear P plates. I have done motor cross, I have done drifting and drag racing for a few years now, yet at 26 I still think I have a heap to learn and do not class my self as a good driver. I am a safe driver and I can drive a car, I can also get out of dangerous situations, but I am still learning everyday on the road. Any idiot can drive a car, it aint exactly that hard, but to be a good driver takes many years of driving not just passing a driving test.
Very true... but on the other side of the coin, there are many drivers out there that think just because they have 20 years of experiance under their belt, they are a better driver then anyone younger then them (ie - 35 yo mum with no passion in cars, no mechanical knowledge, etc... blah blah, compared to a 21 yo driver with a full understanding of mechanics, passion for driving, etc).

If anymore restrictions get put on a P plate licence, I dont think there will be any circumstance that they can drive in.

Cant drive after 11pm?
Cant drive with passengers
Cant do over 90
Cant have a BAC (I totally agree with this one)
Cant drive Holden Cruze
Cant drive V8's
Cant drive Turbos
Has to display P plates on outside of vehicle only which imedialty brands them as a hoon
Licence gets disqualified for first fine
Only gets 4 points
Cant tow a trailer heavier then 250kg
Cant use hands free on a mobile phone

How much longer can this list get - i personally think its becoming a joke... yet what limits do they put on other minority drivers (ie - senior - cant drive more then 10k from home - is that it? )

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #33
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
For one your comparing car racing with driving on the road, two completely different things. And yes people learn at different levels, but no P Plater is a good driver, as I said yes there are SAFE P platers and knowing how a car works does help, but P platers are still learning, thats why they wear P plates. I have done motor cross, I have done drifting and drag racing for a few years now, yet at 26 I still think I have a heap to learn and do not class my self as a good driver. I am a safe driver and I can drive a car, I can also get out of dangerous situations, but I am still learning everyday on the road. Any idiot can drive a car, it aint exactly that hard, but to be a good driver takes many years of driving not just passing a driving test.

But back on topic. If I was the one doing the article, maybe they should encourage p platers to get out in the traffic to gain the experience for the easter break.
Yes im aware there two different things i pointed that out, i used it to demonstrate my point that there are young people who can be very competent drivers and lets face it anyone who has the skills and knows how to operate a race car is more then good enough to drive on the road and handle the car in emergency situations. Yes you will get better with age but at this point and in the situation you mentioned with yourself it becomes fine tuning the knowledge you already have, smoothing down the small rough bits off the base you have. Problem is some people dont have a solid base to improve on and in some cases never get a base and stay rubbish drivers up to the day they stop driving.
Old 24-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #34
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Cant drive after 11pm?
Cant drive with passengers
Cant do over 90
Cant have a BAC (I totally agree with this one)
Cant drive Holden Cruze
Cant drive V8's
Cant drive Turbos
Has to display P plates on outside of vehicle only which imedialty brands them as a hoon
Licence gets disqualified for first fine
Only gets 4 points
Cant tow a trailer heavier then 250kg
Cant use hands free on a mobile phone

Serious?
Never heard of these, I got done speeding in my p's and didnt get disqualified? Even if I hadnt got a warning it wouldve only been 2 points?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Quote:
Very true... but on the other side of the coin, there are many drivers out there that think just because they have 20 years of experiance under their belt, they are a better driver then anyone younger then them (ie - 35 yo mum with no passion in cars, no mechanical knowledge, etc... blah blah, compared to a 21 yo driver with a full understanding of mechanics, passion for driving, etc).
Exactly and its this mentality that is unique to driving that i dont understand why, its a very childish view to have...
Old 24-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #36
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Is that a joke?
No, I'm dead serious. Infact, I'd like it if P Platers were banned from driving on all public holidays and in peak hour too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #37
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't agree that P platers should be banned during the public holiday mayhem period on the roads, but I know who should be: anyone that has not driven an average of 800km in the 4 weeks leading up to the holiday (ie, those that catch a train/bus to work). The reason? These people do not use driving skills daily, but expect that they can handle situations at 100km/h on the highway (a speed they probably haven't hit since the last lot of holidays). It is these people that I guess do 80 or 90 in 100 zones to "be safe", but what they are really doing is creating queues of traffic behind them. just a thought.....................
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #38
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
No, I'm dead serious. Infact, I'd like it if P Platers were banned from driving on all public holidays and in peak hour too.

ahhh where do you begin with this one hahahaha
Old 24-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #39
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew

I don't know, but it's a valid opinion (his). I can see his point of view, but in reality, P platers need more time on the roads in all conditions and at proper speeds - limiting them to 80 or 90 is not their fault - it is merely some stupid rule someone thought might save lives, but in the end, i believe it is costing lives (by forming great queues of traffic in 100 zones, all travelling at 90 or less, and all wanting to get around the "slow coach" holding everyone up, thus taking chances they shouldn't need to.)

The government needs to allow all road users to travel at legal speeds if it is serious about reducing road rage, fatigue, and the road toll.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 24-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #40
bf ute
Starter Motor

Hey we all had to start somewhere and how do you get experience if not on the road, not one person on this forum can not say they have not done somethink stupid when they were first on the road mybe they should look at better training , but ban them what are we China or Russia what ever happened to your rights.
I know people that have said to me I have never been in an accident but gee they have caused a few.
bf ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #41
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think we should ban all self rightous idiots from driving. Their arrogance on the road is a danger to all other road users. They can't see past their halo's
Hey Bucky, I hope the above ban has an exemption for me - I need to get to work somehow.

Old 24-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #42
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

well as i have been saying some people are better then others. There are plenty of P platers that will be way better drivers then some black licensed drivers yet they will get banned? come on doesnt make sense thats an opinion that goes straight in the bin...
Old 24-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #43
sudszy
Banned

But the spokesman said studies suggested that younger drivers were more prone than older drivers to have accidents on public holidays.

Its the above quote that need somes verfication, examination.

Aren't younger drivers more prone to accidents on any day, any weekend anyway? are public holiday stats different? lets see them?

Let's pretend for a moment that they were and there were more proportionally younger drivers represented in accidents on public holidays, perhaps that is because there is more of them on the road and the older half of the population stays put during easter.

On another angle, we hear that Easter is the most dangerous time to be on the road? well is it, what is the total number of km travelled nationally over easter per accident and how does that compare with normal weekends, my guess is statistically that with the extra police presence that is the safest time to be on the road, if anyone can dig up some stats either way I can be convinced.

One thing that does peeve me off is seeing a fully loaded car with a learner driver at the wheel on public holidays. Yeh, sure your kid needs to get experience, but pick a time when the roads aren't so crowded and for the sake of your own family, only one other person in the car.

Last edited by sudszy; 24-04-2011 at 09:05 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #44
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew

I'd like to extend it to banning all men from driving in the afternoon too, then my wife is on permanent chauffeur duties on the way home from beers with friends.

Just a stir, removing all the P Platers would suit me because I'm not one - and the traffic on the way to Bribie would be halved
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #45
LXL15

I think a lot of people simply equate "experience" with "number of years since full licence was first obtained". Whilst in most cases, this is a good way to gauge someone's experience, I see plenty of drivers on a daily basis with little to no idea of how to drive safely, most of whom are NOT P-platers.

Being a P-Plater myself, I know I don't know everything about driving, and I don't have experience in every situation known to man, but I do consider myself a better driver than the people I see every day. It would be stupid and unfair to ban all P-Platers based on the assumption that they are ALL a large cause of accidents on holidays.
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #46
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I don't agree that P platers should be banned during the public holiday mayhem period on the roads, but I know who should be: anyone that has not driven an average of 800km in the 4 weeks leading up to the holiday (ie, those that catch a train/bus to work). The reason? These people do not use driving skills daily, but expect that they can handle situations at 100km/h on the highway (a speed they probably haven't hit since the last lot of holidays). It is these people that I guess do 80 or 90 in 100 zones to "be safe", but what they are really doing is creating queues of traffic behind them. just a thought.....................
Sorry, dont think that is a good idea at all.
We are going to have a couple of million people having to go out on their weekend burn needless amount of fossil fuels to get their country miles up?
the more km you do the more chance of accident, I could only see more carnage out of such an idea.

While I agree that getting a licence should include instruction and actual testing or simulation(especially learning about how to safely predict how much road needed for overtaking etc) test on country roads, it is not something that needs to be practiced every 4 weeks to be a capable driver. For most people in the population, once you have a skill, it typically remains at a high level....riding a bike for example, and learning to ride a bike is a damn lot harder skill wise than learning to drive a car.

People's reflexes are what they are, you can do small things to improve them, but driving on country roads certainly wont change them one iota!

I agree that when I hit the highway after being suburban bound for months, then 100km/h does seem fast, that doesnt mean that Im unable to drive or that my skills have dropped away or wont be able to react to situations, cant see why, perhaps you can explain it to me.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #47
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

While I can understand that these reports get some backs up .... in the end they are just talking points and go no where.

If they can ban bad drivers from driving everyday we wouldn't have a problem but unfortunately a road toll is inevitable as there are alot of stupid people out there

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stopped reading after the first sentence - the holiday seasons are no more danegrous than normal times.

Besides, who will deliver the pizzas over the long weekends?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #49
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If you ask me I believe it start's well before the P plate era, the problem is there and allready exist when they get their P's, if the parent's were castragated well before we would'nt have so many disrespectfull youth, and this doesn't just apply to road user's, I mean disrespectfull overall..............
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #50
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I just got home from a little trip. In total about 900kms of driving, from the highway to country road, to the shodiest road in the country (gravel ditches in the middle of the lane in a turn with a posted limit of 90, and theres plenty of those...) Then a stint on gravel then grass.

On the first day woke up early and drove from 5 20am all the way till 11 30pm when i finished driving for the day.

And im STILL ALIVE! And most of this was in a little 700kg mazda which gets thrown very easy over those crappy shameful roads...(the Buckett way and the Thunderbolt way for anyone who knows it..)

Oh yeah im a P1 for those who dont know.

Subaru Outback '02

Last edited by russellw; 25-04-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Avoiding swear filter
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #51
MattSAU2XR8

Quote:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226043814025

Now using data from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ident-data.pdf:

Year to Date (Mar 2011)
0-4: 0
5-16: 2
17-20: 10
21-25: 10
26-29: 8
30-39: 7
40-49: 15
50-59: 14
60-69: 8
70+: 17
uknown: 0
Total: 91

So given the stats for NSW - THe fatal stats dont agree with the minority bashing (although non-fatal stats may be different)
I'm not so sure that these stats prove anything. Equally likely/possible is that the 17 - 25 year olds caused most of these accidents and just took all the other victims with them. Being younger they probably survive high speed accidents better also, and since they were the ones driving they had the benefit of the airbag while their passengers, other road users, pedestrians, etc didn't.

So all in all it might not be a bad idea to ask p-platers to take a back seat ONLY on public holidays, and in the interest of fairness to also restrict senior citizens from driving at these times also, or at least restrict them to daylight hours. And if this were to happen anyone who isn't permitted to drive on public holidays should certainly be offered free public transport and or access to car pooling. With all this happening I'm sure we can look forward to greatly reduced fatalities next year.
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #52
nstg8a

Talking Re: Ban P Platers over Easter

i think what most are really trying to say, is ban everyone except themselves.

seems like win to me, have the roads to myself, no queue at maccas drive through... open speed limits, cos even the coppas are banned...

i think some are over thinking that article a bit...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #53
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

You just need to look at half of the full licenced drivers on the roads that can't drive for peanuts, P platers aren't the issue, they are just a convenient scapegoat for self-righteous dicks who think they are saving the world but in reality they still risk their precious lives doing 65 in 60 zones like the rest of us. What's the bet that half of the morons who participated in that survey can't reverse park.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #54
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I'd like to extend it to banning all men from driving in the afternoon too, then my wife is on permanent chauffeur duties on the way home from beers with friends.

Just a stir, removing all the P Platers would suit me because I'm not one - and the traffic on the way to Bribie would be halved
haha well played sir well played
Old 24-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #55
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8
I'm not so sure that these stats prove anything.
Proves that if you go anywhere near or on a road at anytime no matter what age you are there is a chance of not surviving .... that is all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8
So all in all it might not be a bad idea to ask p-platers to take a back seat ONLY on public holidays, and in the interest of fairness to also restrict senior citizens from driving at these times also, or at least restrict them to daylight hours. And if this were to happen anyone who isn't permitted to drive on public holidays should certainly be offered free public transport and or access to car pooling. With all this happening I'm sure we can look forward to greatly reduced fatalities next year.
Can we ban them on Fridays? When it rains? When its overcast? When I have to get to work on time? When the sun is in the west and they are driving towards it?
In other words ...... if someone cannot drive to the conditions no matter what day of the year it is they shouldn't have their license ... but alas .... many do and there is almost nothing that will get them off the roads .... apart from the obvious

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #56
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Silly idea to ban P platers on long weekends. Why you might ask, well there is more chance of the moron P platers losing licences on double demerits than at any other time.
Now what would be a good idea is to ban L platers from driving on main highways that are carrying holiday traffic.
Old 24-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #57
ak.v
Starter Motor

ah yer no worries ban P-platers.... for the one year ive been on the road so far a full licensed driver decided to smash my el in the back, (being a brick that it is i didnt even have a scratch so dix to them lol), how many times do "experienced" full licensed drivers are confident enough to cut us off coz they magically calculated how big the gap in front of our car is?? and then u get those experienced drivers pushing their alcohol levels to the absolute limit because they get to have 0.05... then cops pull them over and its oh ohh just had a few... watever

why not have tests that actually check how well a P-plater can handle a car? besides the on road test, teach a new driver what happens when a car spins out and how to behave when it does, get them to slam their brakes and see what happens in a safe environment... all this goes a long way. wrapping a car around a pole is not hard at all, knowing how to prevent it is, and im sure not many people out there would cope.
Old 24-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #58
Falcman0o7
Banned

WOW!!!!

Now that is pure PATHETIC!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #59
ak.v
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
WOW!!!!

Now that is pure PATHETIC!
um at least say why...??
Old 24-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It would be nice if, like pilots, all drivers had log books detailing just how much driving they have done and in what conditions and locations.
Victoria's learner log book, has exactly what you mentioned.

I'd gladly give up driving if there was public transport that went by my work, unfortunately my closest train station is 30km down the road and no trains/trams/buses stop within walking distance of my work and a taxi to my workplace is about $80 one way.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post