Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Need an Advice - Sold a car.. and buyer is PIA

wow, lots of conflicting advise, but if he pays for it he owns it, not sure about deposits and stuff, ii guess it comes under contracts law?

oh and one final thought
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #1 "Once you have their money, you never give it back."
Old 23-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always sell/trade-in thru a dealer..might loose money but saves hasssles..Hope it works out foryou....
Old 24-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #33
No.6

best advice is to have the $500 ready to hand back if he decides to pull out of the deal. Only gonna cause more problems if you refuse. All the stuff you have done would have had to be done anyway if you're selling the car.

Like others have said, really push him to take it for a test drive and ask him if he is happy to still go through with it afterwards or not. Best thing to do is to make it seem you are doing things in his best interests. Also, if you are taking him for a test drive, dont get out of the car without the keys, particularly if he is behind the wheel. Had a mates wrx stolen once when the guy said "i think your exhaust has a problem". Mate gets out to have a look and the buyer sped off with the car.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #34
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I'd suggest off-loading this bloke and his $500 ASAP............
Just get the deposit back to him and get on with selling the car to
a fair dinkum buyer.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #35
brendo83

Most of the expense you've incurred is money you were going to have to spend anyway to get the car roadworthy. The out of pocket expense for you is only the cost of the roady itself, which should only be around $70 or so. The car is now ready to sell on the spot, and even if it doesn't sell before the current roady expires you know it will pass straight away so its a piece of cake to get another one.

I know its annoying as you thought the car was done and sold and now it isn't, but if you think the guy might be a bit sus then just give him back the money and be done with it.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #36
alpineraven

Sold the car, that guy came pick it up and sent an text - saying sorry for being a pain in the **** and is happy with it... Hmm anyway the main thing i've sold it and pass it on to next owner... It was a lucky sale! (he still didnt test drive before giving cash over! - drove off as he was desperate for a car)
Cheers
AP
alpineraven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #37
alpineraven

And by the way guys - thanks for your help.
Cheers
AP
Old 26-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #38
Scott

I guess we'll wait to see it on the news then!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #39
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I guess we'll wait to see it on the news then!
LOL

To OP...good to know it all worked out for you mate. Seemed like it was a difficult situation to begin with with the most unusual buyer. I bought my car privately and was lucky enough that it all worked out with no probs, especially coz i didnt no much about cars before. On the hunt for another car, hope I dont run into a dodgy seller lol
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #40
alpineraven

About a month ago - he sent me an warning text, I shˇtted myself thinking he was gonna do something, that guy got 3rd Road Worthy done and the tester found more problems (what do you expect 34x,xxxkms car!!!) and he said "dont go back to that mechanic, RTA is investigating on that guy blah..." havent heard ever since because I didnt reply his msg.
Cheers
AP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineraven
About a month ago - he sent me an warning text, I shˇtted myself thinking he was gonna do something, that guy got 3rd Road Worthy done and the tester found more problems (what do you expect 34x,xxxkms car!!!) and he said "dont go back to that mechanic, RTA is investigating on that guy blah..." havent heard ever since because I didnt reply his msg.
Cheers
AP

You should be ok, you are not responsible for the work of the mechanic that did the RWC, the mechanic could be in a world of hurt thought.

Sounds like he has had a major fault with the car and during the examination the mechanic has found stuff that should not have even been passed on RWC. People very rarely get a RWC just for fun, there must have been a fault to cause it.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The term "comes with a concrete gaurantee...as soon as it's off the concrete, it ain't my problem anymore", springs to mind...

Especially with such a high kilometer car...the thing might be good, but any reasonably intelligent person would have seen the kilometers and realised that soon it was going to need some major work somewhere.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

It's not your problem. The original roadworthy issuer is responsible for not picking up faults. Then you also have the fact, a roadworthy is only valid for a short period of time (30 days I think). So I wouldn't stress

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #44
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're selling a car, not boinking his missus.
If he backs out, you keep the $500.
Thats what deposits are there for.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #45
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
You should be ok, you are not responsible for the work of the mechanic that did the RWC, the mechanic could be in a world of hurt thought.
Perhaps, yes that would be the view legally, but what about the views of the buyer who may seek compensation/revenge in any way he deems appropriate?

Still, I think a very worrying position for the OP to be in, since the buyer knows where he lives.

Possible thinking of the buyer could include:

The buyer may have gone to the original testst and the RWC tester may claim the vehicle/part was ok when he tested it and that the OP must have subbed the part before the sale, etc etc.

or

that the OP must have known about the fault and slipped the rwc tester a few more kingsford smiths to tick the boxes, or indeed that the rwc tester would have had to have seen the faults and asked the seller "what does he want to do about it"?.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Don't scare the crap out of the OP for no reason Sudzy. It is between the RTA and the bloke who did the RWC. End of story. The car is out of the OP's hands and if the buyer wants to contact you again via SMS or any other way, tell him sorry, not your problem and deal with it through the RTA. Don't even bother answering him really. You are done and dusted .... Finished with the car. The sale is complete and nothing more to say to anyone

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

If the buyer sends you any texts positive or negative, keep them just in case anything happens....forward them to a second phone too as security.
Not only did the buyer have the right to a test drive that he declined, he could have taken the car to an independent mechanic to have a report done on its condition but again, he opted not to.
I presume you took down his driving licence details too- in which case you have his address....might be an idea to pop by unseen to check he actually resides at that address.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post