Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #31
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: why do people block you from pulling out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Australian drivers are among the world's worst in their attitudes (so much for the myth of the easy-going laid back country), you have to live with it. Also I don't know if you're from a city, where people are really stressed out because transportation systems are so bad. Move to the country, you'll find people more considerate!
Quote:
Australian's are among the world's worst in their attitudes (so much for the myth of the easy-going laid back country), you have to live with it. Also I don't know if you're from a city, where people are really stressed out because transportation systems are so bad. Move to the country, you'll find people more considerate!
This is why people wont let you in.
Old 27-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #32
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

One in, one through. No time for clowns who race up the outside lane all the way to the end, pushing past all the cars that are sitting and waiting in line and doing the right thing. If I spot someone in the mirrors coming up I tend to creep over the line to let them know it's not appreciated. Otherwise, one in, one through. And always give the courtesy wave!

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Old 28-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A week ago I was first at the lights. I saw a car come up the left and stop next to me. I knew he was going to illegally try to get in front of me, so as the opposing light went red I slowly rolled forward. This guy didn't want to let me get in front, so he actually took off though the intersection even though our light was still red.
I took off behind him(on green) and just shook my head at him as he looked in his mirror.

Next set of lights he stopped next to me and started going off his head.
I put down my window to see what his problem was, but he was just swearing and carrying on, telling me to pull over so we can fight. I just laughed at him and told him to get over himself because he is not the most important person on the road and he can't do whatever he likes. Then I put up my window and ignored him.
He looked like a try hard drop kick as well.

Some people are just ****** in the head and have personal issue. They get on the road and think they are king ****.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #34
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ out of curiosity what was he driving?
Old 28-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #35
No.6

i follow a simple rule when letting someone in, whether it be at a merge lane or someone pulling out: I let one in, and the guy behind me can let the next one in.

EDIT: also, if i see someone speeding up through a merge lane, i cordially take up both the merge lane and my lane to block them off Call me an A$$, but if he/she is going to aggressively push their way in, they aint getting in front of me.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #36
Till_Lind
E-series fan

If my experience from Qatar taught me anything, you just have to be aggressive. Even here back in Aus I still use a few of the tactics I had to employ over there.

Essentially you have to in turn give them the "bugger you" attitude and just edge your bonnet in front of their bonnet and not back down.

It definately works, some people will try and play the game of chicken but they know in the end it will mean a paint exchange.

Ofcourse if their are significant differences in speed you can't do this.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #37
Rangas GTP

I always let the trucky's in, it amuses me how pi$$ed off people get when i am sitting in peak hour.
Old 28-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some people are just A holes, that`s all there is to it.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #39
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I used to let people in all the time and still will in certain situations, but one day I stopped, mainly because people are ungrateful dogs that never acknlowedge or thank. So now I charge on through.
Yep, noticed that quite a lot too, no wave, or head wobble!
One sad thing though is that i always found driving in brisbane much better then driving in townsville. Drivers in Brissy were overall much nicer then here!
As I drove home the further north i got the worse the attitude.
Cairns im sorry to say is like the cespool when its comes to driver attitude.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 28-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #40
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it's quite sad how bad Australian drivers are. People should try driving overseas and see how much of a good experience it is with every driver being courteous to each other. Even the crazy Italian drivers are more courteous than Australian drivers.
I'm one of the drivers that will let people in. I just assume that the favour will be repaid at some time in the future, but not always.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #41
66GT

Back to the OP's statement, if I understand correctly you are trying to turn right from a minor road onto a more major road during peak times. I will often let the person in if they are turing left in front of me but am loathed to let them turn right as can often be left waiting for quite some time. What I do when in your situation is to turn left & then somewhere down the street turn around Eg. at the round about you stated was just there. Might seem a little stupid but much safer for all & often just as quick.
Old 28-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #42
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by U TRYD
The thing that really ****** me off is when people leave it till the last moment to try and merge, especially on the gateway and m1 merge in Brisbane. There is about a 2-300m merging lane and they race up passing alot of cars (cause it is always backed up and under speed) and try to merge in the last 10m when they could have easily merged 100m back. Or even when i have merged and they race pass me to try and get 10 cars further up, then because they are such dicks no one let's them in and everyone has to stop just for them

If everyone just learnt how to merge we wouldn't have any problems but cause everyone lives in there own little bubble these days and don't have a clue or care about what is happening around them we have these problems, and until peoples attitudes change it will always be the same.

I'm the same, I let 1 car in.
My decision to let someone in comes mostly from if they are using their indicator. No indicator means you are not courteous to tell other road users what you are doing, so expect the same type of behaviour back

And I don't accept the one blink. The road rules clearly state how long before and after the move to indicate.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driver's seem to do anything to position themselves in front of me (when I am driving my commercial van) so it is unfortunate that I have resorted to also respond aggressively now in my day to day driving. If I see a driver approaching at speed in an effort to cut in front of me in a merging lane, I just put the wheels out to block the event. I have people use turn left only lanes to get in front, use red lights to gain advantage, even drive in the opposite lane to get in front on a typical single lane two direction suburban busy road with no overtaking lane! And this happens DAILY! I feel sorry for truckers. But as for jumping the queue, I can see why some drivers won't allow another driver into their lane. If it's busy, cars banked up for some distance, why would they let someone into their lane that hasn't spent any time waiting to do so? That seems the general concencus when talking to other people about driving habits here in Newcastle.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
^ out of curiosity what was he driving?
Some early 90's POS little hatchback. Looks like he bought it from the wreckers with his centrelink paycheck.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #45
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Am I the only one here who thinks not getting a wave is no big deal? If I'm letting someone in, I don't expect or need a wave to validate that I have done so.

As for those that drive to the end of a merging lane, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. Why get all cut up when they are doing nothing wrong except in your eyes "beating" you and costing you an additional 3 seconds of your journey. As for those that feel the need to block both lanes they are in to stop people using roads as they have been designed to be used, I find it a crack up as they are the ones that are potentially breaking the law, not the "terrible" people actually using the merging lanes.

Some of you are sounding as bad if not worse than the ones you are bagging out.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 28-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #46
StrokedXT
Banned

Because shes trying to get pregnant and trap you in a loveless mariage.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #47
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Ehhh, what the?
Old 28-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #48
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
You've lost me on that comment

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #49
StrokedXT
Banned

Sorry just being a dick, first thing that popped into my head when i see pull out is as a contraceptive measure.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #50
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Simple answer for the OP.

Because my time is more important to me than your time is to me. I want to save 30 seconds getting to me destination, I can't be bothered shifting my finger an inch to indicate & change lanes, or I'm just ignorant and haven't seen you.

Those are the reasons why. I deal with it every day both at an intersection from home into the highway, a T Intersection about a k from my house & onto the main road at work or the roundabout just up from my GF's house.

People are selfish on the roads. As said before, were one of the friendliest populations, but when we step behind the wheel, the gloves go on, & the teeth get bared. Why? Selfishness. People don't want to "disadvantage" themselves for anyone.

I always pull into the next lane (provided im not inconveniencing anyone else) and make space. But it bloody annoys me when people, especially on a clear highway, that that one person won't pull over into the right lane (or won't stay in it & merges left on me) to let me pull out. If there is enough room & a clear right lane, I will pull out & "force" them into doing what they should as a courteousy. Ignorant, rude bastards.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 28-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 28-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #51
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL! bloody gold mate!

Surprised people didn't get it, but your humour wasn't lost on me
Old 28-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AT first I was going to make a stupid joke like that. But then I forgot and still didn't click when I read this post
Old 28-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #53
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
As for those that drive to the end of a merging lane, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. Why get all cut up when they are doing nothing wrong except in your eyes "beating" you and costing you an additional 3 seconds of your journey.
By either accelerating to get to the very end of the merging lane when in peak traffic, OR pulling out of the lane to then race up the end to merge back into the same lane, they think they are better than everyone else. Their attitude is that their destination and time is more important than all the other drivers in traffic. It has nothing really to do with rights, law or "beating".
Old 28-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #54
Supercharged

I aways let people in except for taxis as they don't let me in.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Old 28-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #55
hiper
[HIPER-8]

Quote:
bahahaha. i was thinking the same thing when i saw the topic!
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
Old 28-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #56
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
By either accelerating to get to the very end of the merging lane when in peak traffic, OR pulling out of the lane to then race up the end to merge back into the same lane, they think they are better than everyone else. Their attitude is that their destination and time is more important than all the other drivers in traffic. It has nothing really to do with rights, law or "beating".
So how does it affect your trip to your destination, by them doing so, OR to speed up your trip by a couple of seconds, why don't you head up the merge lane?

Who cares if they think they are better than everyone else, or that their time is more important than all the other drivers. Not taking a shot at you, but I don't get it. I can't see how this is worth getting bitter and twisted for what really is no big deal at all.

Seriously, if 10 cars pulled in front of you, how much extra time do you think it adds to your trip? Even if they added 10 seconds per car (which it wouldn't), that's only about a minute and a half added to your trip. Hardly worth getting fired up about it.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 28-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #57
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
So how does it affect your trip to your destination, by them doing so, OR to speed up your trip by a couple of seconds, why don't you head up the merge lane?

Who cares if they think they are better than everyone else, or that their time is more important than all the other drivers. Not taking a shot at you, but I don't get it. I can't see how this is worth getting bitter and twisted for what really is no big deal at all.

Seriously, if 10 cars pulled in front of you, how much extra time do you think it adds to your trip? Even if they added 10 seconds per car (which it wouldn't), that's only about a minute and a half added to your trip. Hardly worth getting fired up about it.
Its because if ALL drivers merged over early, not roaring up the end then hitting the brakes, then the freeways would not come to a crawl.

That is how it affects us all.
Old 28-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #58
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because I don't think I'm king of the road.

Quote:

Answer me this then. You are waiting in a queue in a store and 10 people decide to skip the line and barge in front of you. It's only going to affect you by 10 seconds per person, that's about a minute and a half added to your wait. Would you just stand there quietly and not care?
Old 28-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #59
sm90it
Starter Motor

The way i see it,if you are on a major road and there is a line of cars waiting on a side road you should let 1 car in (if you are stopping for lights or roundabout, or you are starting to slowly roll forward because a light up the road turned green) and then go yourself and it should continue this way 1 for 1.

As for the people in merge lanes, why do they not realise that if they stop sooner in the merge lane it allows them more road to accelerate to the speed limit and not hinder traffic as much, that way they are not pushing there way into the normal lane travelling well below the speed limit.

Quote from duaned
"I have people use turn left only lanes to get in front, use red lights to gain advantage, even drive in the opposite lane to get in front on a typical single lane two direction suburban busy road with no overtaking lane! And this happens DAILY! I feel sorry for truckers. But as for jumping the queue, I can see why some drivers won't allow another driver into their lane. If it's busy, cars banked up for some distance, why would they let someone into their lane that hasn't spent any time waiting to do so? That seems the general concencus when talking to other people about driving habits here in Newcastle."

im from Newcastle and i too have had people come up a right turn only lane at Toronto to go straight through the light and try to merge in on me because they were to lazy and impatient to sit in traffic. i dont exactly block them from coming up past me i try and make them spend some time waiting to merge as they are impatient and jumped the queue
Old 29-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #60
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Am I the only one here who thinks not getting a wave is no big deal? If I'm letting someone in, I don't expect or need a wave to validate that I have done so.

As for those that drive to the end of a merging lane, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. Why get all cut up when they are doing nothing wrong except in your eyes "beating" you and costing you an additional 3 seconds of your journey. As for those that feel the need to block both lanes they are in to stop people using roads as they have been designed to be used, I find it a crack up as they are the ones that are potentially breaking the law, not the "terrible" people actually using the merging lanes.

Some of you are sounding as bad if not worse than the ones you are bagging out.
The sign that warns - "left lane ends, merge right" is not an invitation to pass another 10 cars. It is suggesting they should be looking to merge now, meaning match the speed of the cars they are near and merge. Not floor it and divebomb at the last second forcing the car they cut off and the 5 behind to hit the anchors. It usually isn't one car it is several - many times I've seen the left lane flowing and the middle lane be reduced to a crawl because of all the people - some pulling out from the lane they want to rejoin - using the left lane to jump the queue.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Closed Thread