Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: Holden seeks $300million to build two extra production lines in Adelaide

hangon...wasnt the money ford recieved mostly on an eco car basis for the future. Not just a straight up bailout???
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden seeks $300million to build two extra production lines in Adelaide

Just how much money has Holden and Ford recieved in the last 5 years?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Just how much money has Holden and Ford recieved in the last 5 years?
you cant just list the amounts...what its for and what its ACTUALLY used for is very important.
Money used solely as bailout..should be explained...cus its our damn money.

Does anyone think its messed up that Holden sells the most cars in aus and THEN STILL ASKS FOR 300MILLION BUCKS
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
esp302v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How about some nice new factories up here in Sunny QLD

They don't like the water near Dandenong so I reckon the floods in QLD would really play havoc with them !!!

Andy.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #35
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Is it dry yet?
Old 27-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
extra production lines for what demand? export potential?

I cant see why people think exporting cars from Oz is ever a good idea.
Australia then needs to be a base for higher premium vehicles.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #37
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
=Brazen]Potentially big investment on top of the Cruze line added last year. Interesting to see how it goes, they are still profitable which helps their cause a bit with Detroit and the government. Exports are out and domestic production is in. Im betting Toyota will also be seeking money for Corolla or Rav4 soon.
This isn't money required for any new lines. Its not even money required for a co-investment. Its just a demand for $300 million to prop up its poor business decisions or it would do like any little child will do and pack up and run away.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...taxpayer-money

Maybe all the government should do is when GM does decide to pack up, that they give back the $149 million they got for for the cruze equipment. It does suprise me that Deveraux does say they are still profitable, but require money to keep the plant going. Me thinks they are losing lots of money with the cruze, and cant get any money to give the commodore a sufficient update to give it any pricing power. Any how, what plant will GM build around the world to replace Holden cruze production. Oh gee i think they would just return it the same korean plant it was coming from.

Last edited by bobthebilda; 27-02-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: no
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #38
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Would solve alot of problems though at the moment it ain't sunny, just rainy
Old 27-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #39
esp302v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Is it dry yet?

They just got flooded again last week !!

Andy.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #40
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp302v8
They just got flooded again last week !!

Andy.
Its still going up here
Old 27-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Let them go..... The government does not give the rest of us funding to continue on business, so why should these turkeys keep putting their hands out... Government would be better of spending 300 million in recruiting all the employees elsewhere.

Excellent quoting from someone that doesn't live anywhere near the plant, to know how many businesses rely on that plant being there.

I reckon the same would apply to the Ford plant.

So may I suggest, sticking your head around the areas concerned, finding out how many jobs ARE at stake if the plant/s were to close, instead of being an internet know it all.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #42
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

They need the $300 million of tax payer dollars to subsidise the up to 22.3% pay increase their employees are getting over the next three years.
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=tnb

It's disgracefull while the rest of us make do with bugger all, it's a kick in the face to the rest of the hard working Australians............the unions and the govt are sending this country down the gurgler.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #43
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Excellent quoting from someone that doesn't live anywhere near the plant, to know how many businesses rely on that plant being there.

So may I suggest, sticking your head around the areas concerned, finding out how many jobs ARE at stake if the plant/s were to close, instead of being an internet know it all.
Surely it has gotten to the point of being ridiculous? I mean, how much money can they possibly need? I think it's time to cut the lifelines, sink or swim, because all this taxpayer bailouts is making my head spin.........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #44
dkpioe

if ford were smarter, we would be reading "Ford seeks $300million to build two extra production lines in ..."
dkpioe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Surely it has gotten to the point of being ridiculous? I mean, how much money can they possibly need? I think it's time to cut the lifelines, sink or swim, because all this taxpayer bailouts is making my head spin.........
I totally agree, I am self employed with one employee, business has been quiet and money has been really tight, if I am late paying my BAS, GST & PAYG I get reamed by the ATO............they don't give a stuff if I go broke and loose my house and my business. I don't get govt handouts or preferential treatment, I dont get massive rate/pay increases and I have just about had enough of hearing about tax payers bailing out un profitable companies.

No one gives a stuff if I'm out on my a$$ living on welfare, well guess what ?
I am getting to the stage that I couldn't care less if Ford, Toyota or Holden had a manufacturing base in Australia anymore.

Last edited by CAMS290; 28-02-2012 at 12:16 AM.
CAMS290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #46
prydey
Rob

why does everyone just absorb all the dribble that comes from holden like it is the gospel itself??

its not like they don't have history when it comes to honesty.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #47
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I don't understand how a company can sit there and say "Here, well pay you squillions to work with us", then hit up the Taxpayer to assist in funding their "business/commercial decison".

Sounds logical.................Not!
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #48
Venomous1
5.0 means business

300 mil / 5000 = 60000 each. its gotta end somewhere.

Hey look that countries doing it lets do it.
Old 28-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #49
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Given that both Ford and Holden are taking money, but not drumming up the exports that the government has been asking.....

Perhaps this government money would be better spent on acquiring the assets of the Ford and Holden plants for the purpose of starting it's own Australian Owned company, with additional private sector investment, that could control it's own destiny and export as it saw fit, rather than worry about the internal company politics - like not selling Falcon to middle east because the Crown Vic was there, or not selling to the US because of the Taurus.

The US Government has a 33% share in GM.
The lower state of saxony has a 13% share in Volkswagon.

It can be done.
Old 28-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Given that both Ford and Holden are taking money, but not drumming up the exports that the government has been asking.....

Perhaps this government money would be better spent on acquiring the assets of the Ford and Holden plants for the purpose of starting it's own Australian Owned company, with additional private sector investment, that could control it's own destiny and export as it saw fit, rather than worry about the internal company politics - like not selling Falcon to middle east because the Crown Vic was there, or not selling to the US because of the Taurus.

The US Government has a 33% share in GM.
The lower state of saxony has a 13% share in Volkswagon.

It can be done.
The US government took a stake in GM as a lender of last resort in Bankruptcy and they are
merely waiting for GM's stock price to come good before selling off the remaining interest.

It's avery bad idea for governments to buy stock in companies, assistance should only be given
when there will be return to the community in terms of increasing employment, commerce and
opportunity for increased income tax otherwise the whole thing is a white elephant.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #51
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Holden set to make an annoncement regarding racing today...

300 million could buy alot of ford teams!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #52
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chicken feed compared to what joolia goolia and co have ****ed up against the wall..

moving forward it may even create real jobs...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
moving forward it may even create real jobs...
thats got to be better for working families....
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #54
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
As for Holden asking for 300 mil, is there any end to GM's greed. Ford only got 30 mil and the whingers wouldn't shut up about it, now Holden are asking 10 times that.
yes, but holden is australian and ford is american. Don't you read the public's mind?
Old 28-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #55
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Holden set to make an annoncement regarding racing today...

300 million could buy alot of ford teams!
Maybe the money will support HRT and the other Holden racing teams for a few years allowing the factory to spend its money on plant.
Old 28-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

Quoting??

I have a fair idea on how many people it affects, but at the same time the rest of us don't get handouts to keep our businesses going, we make them work! Holden especially seem to struggle with survival to the point where I think its time the government said tough luck you Americans, if you cannot make your operation viable here then go!

As I said spend the 300 million on making sure the employees get employed elsewhere or packages to retire. Holden use to employ approximately 6500 employees, but I think that number would be down to 5000 now. Thats $60,000 per person to either get them into another industry (mining for example) or pay them out to retire.

There are so many industries looking for workers its not funny, yet these poor people working for Holden and Ford keep holding on living in hope that one day they will get above industry award wages and a full 38 hour week 48 weeks of the year.

At least one of them if not both will not be here by 2016... Why throw good money after bad?

The other option is if the government lifts tariffs on imports.... But with all their silly little trade agreements (that Australia loses on most of the time) that will never happen.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 28-02-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #57
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regarding Holdens big announcement, im guessing its just an extension deal with 888.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #58
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

There are so many industries looking for workers its not funny, yet these poor people working for Holden and Ford keep holding on living in hope that one day they will get above industry award wages and a full 38 hour week 48 weeks of the year.
IS that true? My wife is in recruitment here in Geelong, and her exact words were "You don't want to be looking for fulltime work right about now, there is none......"

Is mining really going to save this country?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
IS that true? My wife is in recruitment here in Geelong, and her exact words were "You don't want to be looking for fulltime work right about now, there is none......"

Is mining really going to save this country?
One of the guys I know runs a recruitment business in the transport and logistics industry and cannot get enough workers! 70 kay a year to roll around on a forklift, would have to beat working for Ford wouldn't it?

Mining wont save us in the long run, but hopefully by then I am retired sitting at home playing with my cars.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #60
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I am about to grad with an eng degree and I can tell you know there is stuff all in VIC. I am going to QLD or WA, actually pretty much anywhere depending on what program I hopefully get.

I did have an opportunity with a particular car company in Geelong, but it was in manufacturing, no thanks, ill dig in dirt for a while.

I also have a mate in Civil Eng in Melb and they are now actively searching for work contracts in QLD because VIC is quiet. Not good.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post