Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: If the EA Falcon was being sold new today...

Similar things could be said about the AU - which was a huge technology upgrade on the trusted EA-EL base...

And 'everyone' hated that too??
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Similar things could be said about the AU - which was a huge technology upgrade on the trusted EA-EL base...

And 'everyone' hated that too??
Oh dear I have owned both! I love my AU though, ill be keeping it for a daily as long as I can I think. Happy to leave the EA in the past
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EA in 4spd auto/MPEFI form or 5 spd manual form started to get there.

Lovely car to drive, but they were most certainly a lemon and i'm talking from experience of owning one as well as having one as a company car, renting one every month or so to drive out to minesites + my family was in the taxi industry.

Big problems, all of which were common and well known -

Product wise -

3.2 CFI was a dud, eventually dropped of course.
Interim 3spd auto, as has been mentioned, the new engine in 3.9 form was a little beauty but clearly designed/tuned for the 4spd auto. Sure, it was BTR supplying it, but Ford could also have sourced their US 4spd auto.

Problems -

4spd autos were highly problematic, electronic connector on the side wasn't the best, causing it to go into limp home mode.
Problems with solenoids (can't remember which now)
The failed at fairly low K's and were $2K+ to rebuild, many cabbies switched back to the 3spd'er.

Notoriously bad wheel alignment, they suffered badly from negative camber, only real fix was installing an aftermarket camber kit.

Rotor warpage - a perennial Falcon problem.

Oil leaks - rear main seal, front of head gasket, rocker cover gasket.

A/C compressor failure - cause by high underbonnet temps.

Head gasket failure - common until fixed on AU's.

I had a wagon 4spd auto 2.9 cfi, loved it's easy driving, cavernous interior, styling in and out, fuel economy was about on par with the XF 4.1/3spd auto, used to get about 475k's/tank. Got traded for $750 in 2001, had recon engine, recon 4spd auto, new radiator, camber kit, new tyres, new rotors/pads all around but stuffed A/C compressor so i'd almost got it reliable at that point
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #34
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EA was often referred to a "Taxi" due to its blandness in its all grey interior in the base models and they were right.
It was totally boring... uninviting.

Styling wise externally it looked very good for its day (but again base model was a tad dull and plasticy with its uncolour coded bumpers and crappy plastic wheel covers.)

The orginal 3speed and CFI motor was grossly underpowered and truely rubbish and should never have been released until the 4speed was ready.

I owned a EA (CFI) but it was a limited edition model, white with black pinstripes at the bottom of the doors, 5 spoke mag wheels (white) and a rubber boot lid lip (not really a spoiler!)

The aircon didnt work (grrr!) and it had a bullbar, raised suspension (almost 4wd height, which got changed quick smart). But with all those short falls, the car was very reliable for its age (over 260000km when i got it), no rust issues apart from one spot in the rear guard and the usual "Falcon sized" room in the front and back, huge boot.

So in reality the EA II would be the model to be judged nicer!

Quote:
Notoriously bad wheel alignment, they suffered badly from negative camber, only real fix was installing an aftermarket camber kit.
Yes mine chewed the tyres very quickly when i bought the car.... and i had to install a kit.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've owned my EAII Ghia for 10 years, and while it hasn't seen the road for the last 12 months, I still have no intention to get rid of it. It was a great car till it's age really caught up with it last year. I picked it up with 148,000kms on it, and by the time I'd taken it off the road, it'd hit about 315,000kms. The original engine managed over 300,000kms before the oil leaks and a busted timing chain guide became too much. Unfortunately the replacement EL engine wasn't as trouble-free as I'd hoped and will have to come back out when I have the time and the space.

My EA has been in a few prangs but has survived every one of them. It's a solid car. Even with the standard 3.9MPi and a 5 speed, it had a bit of power. It's a comfortable car (seats are comfier than my AU), visibility is excellent, parts are cheap, and I've always liked the shape of the EA-EDs. For 1990, it was very well equipped.

The disadvantages, yep, wheel alignment. It always liked to wear the inside edge on the fronts. Power steering pressure switches were an issue, and power windows never felt particularly strong (had to replace 2 of them). A lot of the issues I had were more due to age than the actual design so overall, it's been a good car.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I was still in high school when they came out. To see the new "egg shaped" Falcon was such a highlight in the carpark. Then I got a job at the local council and had the privilege of driving the City Engineers EA with the 3 spd and then the new EA he got with the 4spd. The 4spd one would lay a burnout across the lights with ease. Turn right and plant it and it was burnout city!!!!!!!!!!!
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #37
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I owned a 1990 series II Fairmont Ghia sedan with the four speed auto. Loved that car.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #38
Matty4
Banana

My old man got a brand new EA S-pack wagon as a company car. It still had the old 3 speed auto in the burgundy colour. I remember getting my licence not long after he got it but I wasn't allowed to drive it, unless he needed me too....

He handed it back 2 years later when he was made redundant, so never got to the point of having any issues with it..
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #39
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

We had a 30th Anniversary GL, bought it from my wife's work at half the market value with 125,000km on it. Sold it at 480,000km with egular maintenance only. Only broke down twice and still travels the streets of Geelong.

I hated that it was so bland and loved that it was such good value for money.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #40
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I was still in high school when they came out. To see the new "egg shaped" Falcon was such a highlight in the carpark. Then I got a job at the local council and had the privilege of driving the City Engineers EA with the 3 spd and then the new EA he got with the 4spd. The 4spd one would lay a burnout across the lights with ease. Turn right and plant it and it was burnout city!!!!!!!!!!!
Egg shaped? More like box shaped
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #41
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
My old man got a brand new EA S-pack wagon as a company car. It still had the old 3 speed auto in the burgundy colour. I remember getting my licence not long after he got it but I wasn't allowed to drive it, unless he needed me too....

He handed it back 2 years later when he was made redundant, so never got to the point of having any issues with it..
Sorry about your dad. Interest rates were running at 21% at the time and the Treasurer wiped out the economy for a good 10 years or so. A lot of people suffered.

But these were the days when the Nissan Pintara GLI was an Australian-built icon ( I had one once, in 1996, a good boxy little thing it was..until I murdered the transmission).

I can understand why you were not allowed to drive it, because at the time of its issue, an EA S pak wagon was a very unique and precious car. I mean the guys at Wheels devoted 4 pages to the wagon version alone and credit it with kicking the whole EA project along.

The whole street would have been jealous and admired the encroachment of gentle angle as opposed to the marvellous 4th generation series' chunky disposition.

I was comparing XF and EA today and I noticed that three key things had been changed:

a) The chrome strip along the top of the windscreen had gone.
b) The insert bodywork on the cabin air intakes ( vents) dissapeared (bonnet)
c) The V feel was begging to get replaced with a Nike tick feel.

All that sounds naff, but thats the way I interpreted it.

And I didnt feel they had done all that much work on the front or the the lights. A few tweaks, but the flat front remained in situ.

I guess one of the points I wanted to make earlier was not just about the splendid design effort and achievements ( yeah not perfect but it almost wiped out the VN Commodore) but also the time, sacrifice, energy and resources that ordinary people spent trying to get into one.

And look at the 3.9 multi versus the base. People were almost ready to spend another 33% of the cost of it on features that today we consider pretty standard. Stuff like automatic windows, auto fuel cap latch, a few extra cabin features etc.

I mean we are talking about weeks and weeks of blood sweat and tears-no doubts fights with the wife ( who wanted a Bluebird or Camira) for a few well-placed trinkets ( aside from the beauty of the Donk).

Thanks for all the comments so far, I have enjoyed each one of them.

I love cars but they hate me. I am hoping my new second hand BA m2 will at least stay on speaking terms with me for a couple of years.

Last edited by washoutbeach; 11-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #42
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I grew up in a 4spd column auto, 6 seater, 3.9 CFI EAII Wagon.

Dad sold to a wrecker just as I got my Ls. Sadly at the time I wasn't into Falcon so much so though I didn't want to see it go, it didn't bother me too much. It couldn't pass a pink slip and I was no way mechanically minded to even try fix it.

Wish it'd been kept because the memories it has would ensure Id never sell it.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #43
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
It's boxy now but at the time, it was very sleek and modern. Compare the EA to the XF it replaced and they look worlds apart. It instantly aged the XF.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never had anything to do with the ea until i got to drive a friends a couple of years ago,................. after the poo canning it got on the forums i was shocked how comfy it was and how good it was to drive.
Edit: it also had an excellent steering lock/turning circle.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #45
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
It's boxy now but at the time, it was very sleek and modern. Compare the EA to the XF it replaced and they look worlds apart. It instantly aged the XF.
Thats right, the angles were far more considered and kinder to the eye.

Where an XF was an icebreaker, the EA had ice-skates. Of course EA still had a few touches of unapologetic brutality-an important Ford tradition.

I used to like the rear of the VE but Im well over it now and its only a few years old.

Theres still some exterior lines on the EA that are still asking the right questions, over 20 years later.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #46
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Pretty sure the EA won a global design award of some sort but my memory escapes me.......
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #47
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

By the way my old man ran a series 2 s-pack as a taxi. 690000kms, she did 1 head, 2 trannys and then I took it as a daily and punished it some more. Everything still worked, she could still do a brakie, and we sold it to someone else who took it up to 780000kms and believe it or not she was never reconditioned in that time.
They were a fantastic design in their day, way ahead of Crummydoors. Sure some may have had issues but we only ever hear about EA's problems but VN was just as bad.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #48
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i has a series 1 fairmont with the carby & 3 speed.. went to that from a xt falcon... the xt was a better drive!
no guts, very basic given my xe fairmont had more features, & spent more time off the road than on, new ecu, head gasket, throttle position switches (more than 1)
in the end the father in law took it & i went to a eb 1 s with the 3.9 multipoint & the 4 speed.. what a different car that was !
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #49
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned one for nearly 7 years, and loved it. I still do. Styling wise, the EA was ahead of its time.

That said, my car wasn't without its problems. Two head gaskets, and lifters went during those 7 years. I spent a lot more than the car was worth at the time (2004) to have the engine completely stripped and re-built, because I just didn't want to let it go. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done that. After 328,000kms I eventually sold it in 2007 to a family friend. Last I heard, it was still running well, despite being 23 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
The EA was streets ahead of the XF, styling wise.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #50
washoutbeach

They spent an amazing $700 million developing her.

Often overlooked is its combination of space and compactness. It was not a massive tank yet could fit all the family.

I read somewhere that bench seats at the front were available so you could seat 6 in relative comfort.

Look at all these high km's EA's amazing stuff.

I remember being a passenger in one in the 1990's and the driver was very keen on it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #51
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
Does anyone see the resemblance between EA and BA? Especially front 3/4 view/guards. The squared off front indicators look familiar. Its almost like they turned the design book a few pages back and did a nip and tuck job.

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #52
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

I never had a EA but owned a EBII S for over nine years, brilliant vehicle in many aspects... repairs, a head gasket, shave and a radiator at about 200k, apart from that only maintenance. Took our family on many long trips in comfort and safety( for the time)....and started my love affair with the blue oval and Falcon
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #53
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Ahh the EA, worthy competition the the almighty VN.

Now if only VNs were still sold new today, I'd buy a fleet of unthrashed untrashed ones.

VNs are Horn.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #54
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Ahh the EA, worthy competition the the almighty VN.

Now if only VNs were still sold new today, I'd buy a fleet of unthrashed untrashed ones.

VNs are Horn.
Sarcasm much?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #55
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EA was a dog of a car.
The 3.9 was a leaking POS with weak heads, rushed into production and not fixed until the EBII
Front end was crap.
4 spd transmission wasn’t even available until EAII
Interior was putz
Yet is still seriously twice as good as a VN
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #56
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
EA was a dog of a car.
The 3.9 was a leaking POS with weak heads, rushed into production and not fixed until the EBII
Front end was crap.
4 spd transmission wasn’t even available until EAII
Interior was putz
Yet is still seriously twice as good as a VN
I had a VN, good car for its day.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #57
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first Ford was a Cortina 440 in 1974. This was followed by a line of Holdens ending with a Sigma GSR (great car!) which I traded on an EA S with the 3.9MPI engine, 5-speed manual. We kept it for 3 years; early on it had a lot of problems and was constantly at the dealer. It also copped a hit up the rear end and the boot always leaked after that.

It was in the Blue colour. Nice looking car but never really thought highly of it. Luckily though I stuck with Fords and traded it in 1992 on a White EB II S-XR8 4-speed. That was a great car and in 2 years of ownership never gave any problems. Only reason it went was we decided to head overseas to work and we had no place to keep it.

So my experience with EA was not a good one, the best memory was leaving it at Power Ford (Waitara) and driving off in the EB II!
GTP534 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #58
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
the EA (s2 & anniversary model) was a great car, despite what the droning sheep (who never owned one) will tell you.

The Ghia 5 speed we had was just a really nice car to be in, and was well appointed for its time.

I'd still like to know where they get 'average' salaries from though.
I had one, a Ghia 5 speed in burgundy. I drove it for almost 300,000km as it was the last manual Ghia and all the other later manual models were too "povvo". It got good fuel economy, went almost anywhere and really was only replaced because the aircon failed and it had to be converted to the new gas which was far to much for a 300k old car.

At the time is was far superior to the equivalent commodore and an excellect all round luxury vehicle.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #59
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
i has a series 1 fairmont with the carby & 3 speed..
The EA never had a carby as an option.

The EA lacked
* V8
* 4 speed auto

With these, EA would have whiped VN of the sale boards. We would have had Group A EA's racing Bathurst. More than one EA GT. Techology alone would have made EBGT and ED Sprint even better!

Also, I believe that EA would be more popular than VN today!

We had nothind to go up against VNSS, VN Clubsport, etc.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #60
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had an eb2 fairmont funnily enough, now have an xf ute and a Tdi golf. I owned the be from 98 through to 2003 and my brother had it for another couple of years thereafter.

It was reliable, went well and handled anything we did with it with ease. Now for some interesting info about it.

The ea shell was a new body on xf underpinnings (except everything from the firewall forward was new.

The lower firewall is common to the xf-au

The distance between the sills is the same from xr through to fg.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post