Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: another E10 question

In slightly related news, the new QLD Liberal govt has removed the mandate to run Queensland Government cars on E10.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I looked for it at my local Shell and couldn't see it.

Also my local Mobil doesn't have it either. I'd like to try it in the XR, but can't readily see it. Closest servos are either Shell or the 7/11 (Mobil) up the road - I'm assuming the 7/11 is Mobil as it used to be a Mobil servo).
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can stand the speed cameras come on down to Mexico. not to much E10 down here either
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mik, your post "it seems strange to me that your car pings on the 98 and not on the more volatile lower octane stuff???" made me think.
The last mechanic who worked on my car (timing belt etc) said the timing was set at 17 btdc. My cars timing is supposed to be set at 10-12 btdc. do you think that might have something to do with the pinging? Both mechanics in the workshop said that 15-17 btdc was better for 95 and 98ron. Lend me some of your wisdom please.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not in NSW!
it has been reduced to 91.
E10... Well when it was first mentioned it was said to be 94-95 RON.. Why? To please the masses. People needing 95 could get by with 94 while being all green and saving a few dollars a tank. Cheaper than 91 with the extra few octane points. Win Win.... or so they thought.

I have seen E10 advertised from 91 to 95 RON. Recently, that number has remained at 91. Which begs the question... if E10 is 10% ethanol, and ethanol is an octane booster then what is the base fuel octane they are starting with the get E10 to be 91???

This lack of standardisation should not be allowed. What if They sold 98 octane as '94-98'.. would that be allowed? Problem is, very few people would feel any lack of performance, which is why the octane variance goes unoticed.

Filled up at Woolies petrol:

Mobil is the same, and has been for the last 3-4 years.

The guy gave me a lecture on how it is dangerous to take a picture (using my phone) while pumping petrol... Said I agree, and reminded him that I was pumping diesel. He didn't seem to get the joke....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #36
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well how about the stations that do not display the octane rating i have one down the road and asked and they do not know at all

All ratings should be mandatory.

As far as i know E10 can be any thing up to 10% so you could be getting 1% up.

And as far as i know our RON rating is more to do with low revs and the USA MON rating is more to do with a higher rev and the European rating is half way thing of both, so if your car demands 95 RON. and if you use E10 95 it could be only like 94 RON at high revs ? or so, i read in the local rag, to watch out if you had a 95 car using a 95 E10 but if your car can retard it's timing it's ok. but if it was a carby engine and you started flogging it she may ping.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #37
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not relevant but I will throw it in. Top alcohol dragsters use double the amount of alcohol their petrol guzzling competition does. For emphasis, 100% more fuel use. They have to use larger injectors than the petrol dragsters and larger capacity fuel pumps. !0% alcohol (E10) (calling a spade a spade) logically has to drop your economy by 5% minimum and more as the loud pedal has to go down further to get the same result. Just to add a little icing to the cake, Ford Australia tells me not to use E10 in my car at all!! So by doing what Ford says, I am saving my engine and fuel line/components plus getting more power and better economy. E10 blows!! I am happy that NSW has put off the mandatory introduction of the crud and kept 91ron (standard ulp)
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Well how about the stations that do not display the octane rating i have one down the road and asked and they do not know at all

All ratings should be mandatory.

As far as i know E10 can be any thing up to 10% so you could be getting 1% up.

And as far as i know our RON rating is more to do with low revs and the USA MON rating is more to do with a higher rev and the European rating is half way thing of both, so if your car demands 95 RON. and if you use E10 95 it could be only like 94 RON at high revs ? or so, i read in the local rag, to watch out if you had a 95 car using a 95 E10 but if your car can retard it's timing it's ok. but if it was a carby engine and you started flogging it she may ping.
No mate e10 has to be between 8.9% and 10.5% or it is out of specs and cant be taken to the servo and must be pumped back into the terminal.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
Mallard
Evil Mastermind

The reason not all service stations sell regular unleaded is simple. Quotas. Rather than face the backlash of banning sales of RULP, the government is doing it by stealth. By enforcing quotas for sales of E10, a lot of petrol companies simply cannot afford to sell it. With more and more cars needing premium ULP to run, there is precious little scope to also sell RULP and still meet the E10 quotas.

Nice trick really. Not being able to get RULP now becomes the petrol companies' fault, not the government's.

After doing the maths, it's still cheaper to run the AU6 on 95ron rather than E10.
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
I am happy that NSW has put off the mandatory introduction of the crud and kept 91ron (standard ulp)
After all the local stations switch over to E10 in preparation... they aren't going to rip them out anytime soon.