Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #31
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cheap but OK Spots - Suggestions

I use a pair of Narva 160mm which I put 120w halogen globes into.Seem to have pretty good range and spread when set up.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #32
MattSAU2XR8

I would agree there's a case to be made for halogen lights, particularly for on road use. Years ago I had a cheap set of Narva 175 spread beams and they were great - could see a long way down the road and did not have an annoying bright spot right in front of the car.

One of the problems I've noticed with led bars and spots is a lot of spread close up (is good on side streets) and if they do have a long range quoted this is achieved by a very narrow focus.

Old fashioned halogen spots with a large reflector seem to have a much smoother spread of light. Which means everything in front of the car is more evenly lit up.

I suppose if there was room a set of cheap HID lights could work also...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8 View Post
I would agree there's a case to be made for halogen lights, particularly for on road use. Years ago I had a cheap set of Narva 175 spread beams and they were great - could see a long way down the road and did not have an annoying bright spot right in front of the car.

One of the problems I've noticed with led bars and spots is a lot of spread close up (is good on side streets) and if they do have a long range quoted this is achieved by a very narrow focus.

Old fashioned halogen spots with a large reflector seem to have a much smoother spread of light. Which means everything in front of the car is more evenly lit up.

I suppose if there was room a set of cheap HID lights could work also...
I agree, I'm a fan of halogen lighting, the magic happens in the reflectors.

Hella does make some quality gear, but anyone who has owned an EF/EL Falcon, those candles that apparently pass for headlights were designed by Hella so we can't give them too much praise

LED light bars give you a wicked spread up close, but I find the lights don't last overly long before they go dull compared to when they were new, doesn't matter if its LED light bars on cars or LED down lights in our house, they quickly disappoint regardless how much or how little you pay for them, they don't blow but they lose their light output massively.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post