Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #31
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Well i guess im the only one who thinks this idea is completely ridiculous, just like the 40kmh zones.

When the 40zones were brought in i didnt see any research or statistics or any sort of factual reason as to why it was brought it. All i heard was heart-string pulling cries to slow down for the children, oh why wont someone think of the children!!

Well thats great and seemed to work well considering noone questioned the decision to implement the new zones and anyone that did was branded a "hoon" and a child-murderer.

But how many kids were dying crossing roads before the new rules were brought in? Does anyone here realise that it is an offence for kids to cross roads unless it is at a school crossing? They even get detention for it, this was at all the schools i went to.
The money spent on this crap would have been much better spent on more road education for kids instead of trying to make enemies of drivers.

50kmh is slow enough for school zones, and most drivers will slow down in low visibility conditions around school. Ok so lets take off 10 kays to save the children (and make a few bucks parking cameras at schools).
But where does it end? Not at 40kmh obviously...

Seriously why bother driving if it causes that much risk? Oh thats right if you can afford to drive you can afford to pay the stealth road tax.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper
What crap! Surely you can read traffic signs and can identity a school without lights? Do you need flashing stimuli every time you come across a stop sign? Anybody who does should immediately trade their licence for a frickin' bus pass!

A speed limit of 25km/h is OK by me at primary schools. You only have to put up with it for 400m or so and that adds only ~20 seconds to your trip. It is not about shifting responsibility to drivers, more about the fact that young kids just don't really get the big picture at that age. I certainly don't see the need to drop speeds below 40km/h at high schools. If you are of that age, it is time you started to understand the consequences of your actions.

Personally, I want to know why kids have to be driven to school every day? I used to walk or ride my pushbike! Any wonder the kids are so fat and the traffic so bad!
Refer my earlier post mate, quite often you have the signs obscured by trees and shrubs. Additionally, if you are focussing your attention on traffic issues like changing lanes or looking in your rear view mirror you can miss the sign.

As for school zones being clearly marked, why not take a drive down the boulevarde in strathfield where there are 3 school zones in the space of 1.5klm?
then you have more once you get around the corner near redmyre road.
Thats 4 in the space of 2 klm so by your calculation that would add 1 minute 20 to a 2klm trip.

I'm not suggesting that anyone would like to hit a child, and its something that I pay particular attention to when I see the kids, but the arguement still stands; why penalise drivers further particularly where fine revenue is concerned when a more effective approach would be to educate children nationally - backed up by public service advertising on television during the hours kids watch tv. This isn't a new untried approach, it has happened before to great effect.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #33
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
What crap! Surely you can read traffic signs and can identity a school without lights? Do you need flashing stimuli every time you come across a stop sign? Anybody who does should immediately trade their licence for a frickin' bus pass!
dont know if you have driven up here in qld but alot of the sign's have trees/bushes over hanging, even stupidly put directly behind a lamp post so its not always that easy, im still baffled as how you can not agree that lights would attract more attention and make drivers aware of a schoolzone and that the limit's are still enforce, would make sence as i had a mate who i was with at the time get done for 62 in a 40 zone, according to us it was 9:04 cop said it was 8:59, with the light system this would rid any confusion.

we live in a state where the speed for school zones varies from 40 - 80 in rural area's (no im not lieing) and times that vary from area' to area so it makes it confusing for drivers when faced with varying options with school area's in just qld let alone people traveling interstate.

Scooby can go ИИИИ himself, im over that pompus pricks remarks about redicilous road safey scheems, he must wake up in the morning and think, how can i really ИИИИ off australia today... ohh i know ill just open my mouth, his oppinions are held with a grain of salt by most, and i feel sorry for those that belive the bullИИИИ that dribbles from this guys mouth.
All this comming from a guy last year wanting to ban tint as he belived it had links to terriorism... :

making speeds slower will increase the impatiance of motorists and i belive have the reverse effects of what they are trying to acheave, once out of the speed zone or once the '25km/h car is out of the way they will drive like a mad man to make up lost time, and make people extremely frustrated as their will be morning joggers passing them, if you cannot consintrate at 40km/h and bring your car to a stop with in a few meters then i would be concerned as to why you have a licance in the first place, hell does ABS even effectivly work at 40km/h? ing_sm

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #34
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We may have to take a good long, hard look at society today. No care, no responsibility, and it is always someone elses fault. BULLИИИИ! You park your butt behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, you become responsible for that vehicle and whatever it runs into or over. We can educate society as much as we like. If society doesn't give a toss, it's not going to stick. Common sence is not all that common any more. Hence, laws are made to try and eliminate or reduce risk. Albeit, some of these laws are made by people who wouldn't know their ИИИИ from their elbow but the theory behind it all is to try and reduce risk of tragedy etc.
From what I have seen picking my kids up from school, parents double parking, hopping out while double parked to have a chat or get the kids into the car, kids running onto the road, kids looking at you coming and stepping onto the road in front of you so you have to slow down and wheave your way through them all. For some reason, they think this is cool. It's total crap. An absolute disgrace that we can see what is happening yet cannot work out the consequences of our actions or the actions of others. Personally, I slow down in school zones. Drive to the conditions. Do not have a problem with it and I can only hope that the other motorists on the road are as courteous and mindful of what can happen. Driving through school zones can be a nightmare,I have no doudt, with rogue kids running everwhere but where they're suppose to, enraged parents and then add to the mix teenagers with daddy Clubby chucking a few quick laps and maybe laying a bit of rubber in front of the school before taking his/her mates home. Have I painted a good enough picture yet?

My apology in advance if I have offended anyone, however that's my thoughts and opinions, for what they are worth, on this topic.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #35
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yes i slow down too, but i seem to be the only one around at the time who does. Back when i was a kid we had no school zones and everything went smoothly, as i used this intelligence theory when crossing roads:

if car = on road { wait until car = passed } | else { look left, right left, cross with caution }

enough said.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #36
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

School zones should only be for pre school and primary school. High school and college students are big enough and ugly enough to know when and when not to cross the road.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #37
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

it happens all to often JC i agree with you, but government likes the *hurt your hip pocket theory as opposed to the... ИИИИИ we better educate some drivers/pedistrian's or they will end up as statistics.

the law of commonsence has still failed to become part of their everyday lateral thinking when sitting having a debate, when it does maybe just maybe some order will be returned to society.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #38
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
School zones should only be for pre school and primary school. High school and college students are big enough and ugly enough to know when and when not to cross the road.
Unfortunately the parents of the kid you just splatted won't be thinking along those lines, not to mention the judge and prosecutor as they slam your ИИИИ into jail for manslaughter. Until it is your child that has to be fed through a tube or worse, killed, we tend to take the easy way out. "He/she stepped out in front of me so it's his/her fault that they dead" just may not cut it in court when your getting pineappled.

Last edited by J.C.; 19-03-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #39
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What puzzles me is why they have school zones outside schools on major roads where there is a pedestrian bridge that the kids use to cross the road. Also flashing lights would help those who don't have kids and don't know when the school terms are.

But the biggest thing is, no matter what the speed limit is there are so many stupid dangerous drivers out there who have absolutely nfi what's going on around them - the same ones as the right lane huggers we discussed on another thread. There is one parent at our local school who drives within the limit but she doesn't seem to understand what a pedestrian crossing is and she drives straight through the school crossing when there are kids crossing on it. There are a couple of others who treat the stop line on the crossing as a convenient parking marker and stop there to drop their kids or even park (illegally of course), thus totally obstructing the view of the crossing. How do these people get their licences and where are the police when these things happen? No matter what the speed limit is it won't control stupid people who will still run over a kid even at 15ks because they live in a mental fog.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #40
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
it happens all to often JC i agree with you, but government likes the *hurt your hip pocket theory as opposed to the... ИИИИИ we better educate some drivers/pedistrian's or they will end up as statistics.

the law of commonsence has still failed to become part of their everyday lateral thinking when sitting having a debate, when it does maybe just maybe some order will be returned to society.
I agree. Sad isn't it? Our lives are in the hands of politicians who are trying their best .......... to cover their rears. Very negative way of thinking. Change of attitude maybe required.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #41
slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Refer my earlier post mate, quite often you have the signs obscured by trees and shrubs. Additionally, if you are focussing your attention on traffic issues like changing lanes or looking in your rear view mirror you can miss the sign.
So, if one of the signs is hidden by a tree (and there is usually more than one), you have no other clues? What about lots of kids in uniform, lollipop ladies (persons?), the traffic chaos of a thousand Pajeros vying for poll position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
dont know if you have driven up here in qld but alot of the sign's have trees/bushes over hanging, even stupidly put directly behind a lamp post so its not always that easy, im still baffled as how you can not agree that lights would attract more attention and make drivers aware of a schoolzone and that the limit's are still enforce...
Mate, I didn't say that flashing lights would not get your attention. I asked if an alert driver really needed such a device. You can read other road signs without flashing lights, can't you?
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #42
Scott

IMO 40kph = safe, 25kph = revenue. Who actually has an analogue speedo that reads 25kmh?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #43
Cespenar
Huh?

40 KPH is good. Dropping kids off on the RIGHT side of the road is good.
Scruby is BAD. Idiots who drive through school zones at UP TO 80kph are bad.
And there are plenty of those idiots. Parents who drop kids off on the WRONG side of the road are bad.
There is no problem! Just book the idiots and remove their cars from registry. UMMM! on second thoughts, that might make sense. And wer all know that sense and Government and SCRUBY dont go together.
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #44
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind slowing at all for school zones but I do get ИИИИty with the lack of warning, variabilty of school year etc. Also the inappropriate use of zones when pedestrian lights, barriers & overhead crossings exist.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #45
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as it doesn't lead to traffic conjestion in and around these areas, I'm in favour of it. Having kids at both high school and primary, I see the problems every day with buses everywhere, parents in cars trying to find a park to drop off or pick up, kids on bikes, kids on foot and, without fail, there is always the loser who still flies through these zones doing 60+.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #46
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
So, if one of the signs is hidden by a tree (and there is usually more than one), you have no other clues? What about lots of kids in uniform, lollipop ladies (persons?), the traffic chaos of a thousand Pajeros vying for poll position?

Mate, I didn't say that flashing lights would not get your attention. I asked if an alert driver really needed such a device. You can read other road signs without flashing lights, can't you?
We don't have lollipop ladies, we only have one sign on the entrance to the school zone, and one that says 60 at the end of it. I don't know what you have in Brisbane, but perhaps before you cast aspersions upon my spatial awareness a trip into Sydney might be warranted. Oh, and the plethora of school children you speak of typically are at the entrance of the school, our zones commence between 200 - 300 metres beforehand. This is also conveniently where the police tend to sit with their radars. And before you make the comment, we have tree lined streets here so seeing the children a couple hundred metres away can at times be difficult. Especially when it's say 3:55 and the school is empty because the students left at 3:10.

Quote: