Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #31
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
Well, it almost looks like they made a commode without a vomit induceing interior.... well done.

Now fix the hopeless 6cyc motor and garbage auto and they'll almost have a half decent competitor for the Falcon.
Grow up.
Old 24-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #32
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Grow up.
you have to admit though. The auto gearbox is well outdated. And the alloytec hasn't met expectations as yet. It' still needs tweaking.

both are being addressed with the VE so it should be a better platform.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #33
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Grow up.
Well mate the V6 in the Commodore is a bit average and the Auto is a joke he hasn't really said anything wrong out:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #34
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Actually the engines are fine it's just it's in a aged car that gives it no respect, the old 4 speeds your right there far from great let alone good, My car is the perfect example of this, I have a brand new one in my VP, It shifts it has made the car feel twice as fast but it's ruff, It never Miss's a beat but it does it a little harsh at time.
I wanted to buy a VY went down to KD's Got a spin in a VYII, It was fine had a chuckle to myself as the drive banged in as myn does, Once off it wasn't to bad nothing special.
Old 24-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #35
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Grow up.
Open your eyes!

<edit> Seriously... Mr "My Stock VP V6 just 8U" man tells me to grow up?

pot to kettle: you are black!
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #36
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Well mate the V6 in the Commodore is a bit average and the Auto is a joke he hasn't really said anything wrong out:
Um No defiantly and No. My Auto is a Joke as it's brand new shifts a touch harsh but never Miss's a beat, But you do expect more from something new. The 4 speed has had big work overs over the years, Saying it's a joke, Is a joke. And there is nothing wrong with the engines.
Old 24-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #37
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Open your eyes!
Open your other one cuz;)
Old 24-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #38
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Open your other one cuz;)
Ha! Looks like we have a new forum Clown. You don't happen to know gmhdriver do you? I'll bet you do.

My eyes are plenty open mate. I've driven plenty of commodes (VH's, VL's, VP's *shock!*, VS's, VT's VU's and VY's. And guess what, past VL's they have two things in common. Cr@ppy auto's and wheezy engines.

Deal with it, and cry more noob!
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
:
Old 24-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #39
freaky

Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with the engines.
The alloytech has not lived up to all it's hype.

1. It's rough and runs out of breath high up the rev range
2. Sounds exactly like the older ecotec.
3. Complaints about the cam chains causing an annoying whine(no fix yet).
4. performance increase only negligable over ecotec.
5. only weighs 5kgs less than ecotec
6. more complex, ie. will likely cost more to repair vs ecotec.
7. smaller displacement makes it feel sluggish of the line.

Im sure as the engine evolves it will get better, but I would say it's no near as good as the fords I6 at this stage.
Old 24-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #40
jeffb

Ok her is a test,

get a pic of a 380 then get a pic of the VE and tell me where the difference is??????

yer they have a different front and back but it looks like the same car everywhere else.........
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #41
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
I wonder how much more advanced the VE will be over the current BF.
Surely it will feature some dandy new stuff that you usually only see in high class euros.
i am sensing a reliving of the EL vs VT days.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #42
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Ha! Looks like we have a new forum Clown. You don't happen to know gmhdriver do you? I'll bet you do.

My eyes are plenty open mate. I've driven plenty of commodes (VH's, VL's, VP's *shock!*, VS's, VT's VU's and VY's. And guess what, past VL's they have two things in common. Cr@ppy auto's and wheezy engines.

Deal with it, and cry more noob!
Guess what you were once a noob and you still act like one.
And by the way I'm the SlickHolden you can catch me on LS1.com.au Justcommodores.com.au and ultimatecarpage.com if you would like to look me up.

I stand by all i have said you still need to grow up, Fair criticism is fine but when it's to the point of bagging not considering people drive these cars everyday, it's a bit over the top, and you haven't drove the VZ so hold your judgement on all of them till you have drove them all. As the 4 speed was given a big upgrade.
And wheezy engines? I own one mate my friend has a VR and VS, My mothers friend has a VT, No wheezy engines there. In-fact if you said VN i would probably agree as it was the harshest of all V6's well the Buick V6 was the one that had piston slap and some had fuel issues, they ran rougher in lower revs but revved out fine to cut off. But the Ecotec V6 in the VS onwards was a much more refined high reeving engine without these problems of the past with the Buick V6.
Now again I'll make my transmission a example, It's new had it done late February, It ИИИИs all over the old tranny, But it's still not perfect, Shifts sometimes harsh not all the time, But what it does is shift and ИИИИ perfect all the time, I need power at any speed it responds to me when i want acceleration, It can hold gears on corners and drop with a input of acceleration, On the freeway i can over-take stays in 4th, If i want to pass fast it will drop back to 3rd and pull hard, It never Miss's gears or drops or slips unexpectedly, It's the perfect tranny with a touch of hardness at times.
And this could be made worse as i have a tail-shaft problem right now it's unbalanced and may need UV's or centre bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky

3. Complaints about the cam chains causing an annoying whine(no fix yet).
4. performance increase only negligable over ecotec.
5. only weighs 5kgs less than ecotec
6. more complex, ie. will likely cost more to repair vs ecotec.

Im sure as the engine evolves it will get better, but I would say it's no near as good as the fords I6 at this stage.
Well if you spoke to my brother on that subject I'm sure he will not totally agree with you, I drove a Ford Territory to Bathurst last year and back, I was impressed with the car it had flaws but in was nice, Some things i couldn't get out of my head was the Drive by wire throttle it is ИИИИ so slow to react, Brakes aren't much and it took us to get out on the freeway to get some speed, Now we thought hey it's heavy the sedans will burn the road. But now my brother owns a Ba Fairmont ex cop car he hasn't stopped moaning about it, The drive by wire is the same, Brakes have been replaced front only, the steering was flushed out as it had vibrations stopped for a week then came back, Back brakes are going also it shudders off the freeway as the steering does, there is a constant vibration under the car which my brother decided to get under and remove the shield over the exhaust because he suspected it to be that but he was wrong. It went to Ford for a serves they wiped the ECU and he lost the Police settings and now it Miss's and sounds like a diesel, Warning lights have come on the dash and the paint is toast as some clown before he bought it buffed it and now it's got dots everywhere.
See all cars have problems.

But on the Alloytech that engine was made for high revs.
And it's not the capacity that makes it slow off the mark it's the diff gears they have set for it. It's like a 2.7, Myn is 3.08.
I have honestly never herd of cam chains whining.
Performance over the ecotec is big, the VP still beats all but the Sv6.
It's the 175 engine that has had some issues not the 190.
But on weight the old engine wasn't heavy and had a lot less goodies in it. But the barra engine is one huge lump my god it's big. My brothers old EF i thought it was big then, Even his wifes AU but this is huge.
On cost repairs i was just told by a mechanic that if the 190 blows a head it might crack the block and thats the full rebuild.
But higher technology means you will have to pay more.

Last edited by Full Spectrum; 24-04-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Full Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #43
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven ecotec to alloytech pretty much back to back and the difference in NVH is minimal at best, at high revs they both sound like your pulling a cat through a keyhole by the tail,.... on the same note though, a standard BA I6 is no symphany either when given a boot full, improvment in the BF is noticable though, due more to sound proofing more than engine improvement i think.... coincidently in the middle of this post some young punk in the street just dropped a burnout next door in his VN V6, ah the smell of burning rubber and sound of strangled cats for everyone!

Last edited by ReVd_uP; 24-04-2006 at 05:14 PM.
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #44
freaky

Slickholden, your brothers car being an ex cop car says it all to me. Its probably been flogged to death, hence the problems.
Old 24-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #45
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
coincidently in the middle of this post some young punk in the street just dropped a burnout next door in his VN V6, ah the smell of burning rubber and strangled cats for everyone!

Lol.....

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #46
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hahahaha, what a tool, who let him in?!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #47
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

lol okay guys as fun as holden fan bashing is lets keep this on topic here, its quite clear that he isnt anything like our good friend gmhdriver so just leave it be btw slick welcome to the forums
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #48
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
I've driven ecotec to alloytech pretty much back to back and the difference in NVH is minimal at best, at high revs they both sound like your pulling a cat through a keyhole by the tail,.... on the same note though, a standard BA I6 is no symphany either when given a boot full, improvment in the BF is noticable though, due more to sound proofing more than engine improvement i think.... coincidently in the middle of this post some young punk in the street just dropped a burnout next door in his VN V6, ah the smell of burning rubber and strangled cats for everyone!
The VN was the car you drove when you didn't care about grip and safety : But for me i have no problem hitting the high revs i dont like to as it's not getting any younger but it never complains.
See that is a perfect example there BA to BF, This is why the alloytech will seem to be so much better then before, And it won't be it's the sound proofing that the VE will have, The car will respect the engine more. Alfa and Cadillac never complain about these engines.

Quote:
Slickholden, your brothers car being an ex cop car says it all to me. Its probably been flogged to death, hence the problems.
Now thats what everyone says, But it was a Detectives car with only 50,000km on it, Most of the problems are common, the one with Ford resetting the ECU is a common thing they do, But it ИИИИed him off something bad, We had it in 2nd on the freeway @ 150kp/h and it had more, He went to Queensland and snuck in a little 220kp/h on the way home, Off to ford it comes back won't hit 140 in 2nd and the car Miss's and the limiter is back.
I spoke to herrod and they said they can fix many complaints he has with it, The stealth program can help but anything that is ECU controlled they can play with, They can even get it off the mark faster with a higher rpm stall converter, They can even adjust the drive by wire, these are just some of the things he might do as it really has disappointed him after his old EFII Ghia was such a fast car, He got a XR6 Diff and 5 Speed for it and it flew, But he traded it in for the BA, He doesn't miss the old car he Miss's the brute power and the fact he knew everything about it, This car is fully covered that still doesn't satisfy him, Give him a year and he will trade it in for maybe a Territory or XR. But lucky he got knocked back for the finance before the BA He almost bought a VY Equipe, He's wife liked it more she test drives all the cars, He sits back and watches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
lol okay guys as fun as holden fan bashing is lets keep this on topic here, its quite clear that he isnt anything like our good friend gmhdriver so just leave it be btw slick welcome to the forums
Thanks mate good to be here, Unlike many others on both sides who just like to bash back and forward, I like to back it up with as much facts as i can, And number 1 for me is honesty, Some might laugh but check out UCP forum in the Aussie section we all get on great there ford guys holden guys Mitsubishi Honda Nissan lol, there isn't as many as in here but it's a world wide forum.
I like to bring the other side to the discussions as much and as unbiased as i can, I think that is better for the whole conversation to i hope
Old 24-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #49
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

somebody once said, don't argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Oh, and i wouldn't go bragging about breaking the legal speed limits here mate. Leave that to justcommodes.com.

We're all real impressed though!
Quote:
:
Old 24-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #50
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
And by the way I'm the SlickHolden you can catch me on LS1.com.au Justcommodores.com.au and ultimatecarpage.com
That's alright. I'll catch you on the 1/4! lol. JK

There's good Holdens and bad Holdens
There's good Ford's and bad Ford's.

Some cars may feel like they have more power then others, yet they actually don't. A quick take off and hard reving engine may not feel the same as another car with average take off, yet harder working engine, at lower revs....

It's all personal. Just stick to the thread. This noob has coped enough already....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #51
buickman
buickman

Iam not getting involved in bagging the Alloytec mtr or slick holden.
But the new holden what I can make of the pic looks as if its got a bit of Cadillac V series & STC influence with door handle & shape by the look of the current Cadillac site plus I think thats were holden sourced this mtr.

www.cadillac.com
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #52
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
That's alright. I'll catch you on the 1/4! lol. JK....
Hey i peddle real fast like Fred Flintstone plus I'll pop the seats out cause i make the car heavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Iam not getting involved in bagging the Alloytec mtr or slick holden.
But the new holden what I can make of the pic looks as if its got a bit of Cadillac V series & STC influence with door handle & shape by the look of the current Cadillac site plus I think thats were holden sourced this mtr.

www.cadillac.com
Nah it's not about the car anymore or any really
I dont like them door handles, My sister has them on her proton gen-2 and they dont open half the time:(

Quote:
somebody once said, don't argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Oh, and i wouldn't go bragging about breaking the legal speed limits here mate. Leave that to justcommodes.com.

We're all real impressed though!
I would like to know your thoughts on street racing?? I can tell you where to leave that :
Quote:
I had a ******** in a proton something-or-other try to line up against my old XF (with had extensive engine mods) and after i smoked him we stopped at set of lights, commenting on the S badge on the side of my car, he said "whats the s for... slow". I just said, "nah mate, it stands for just kicked your asssssssss". Funnily enough he didn't even try at the lights after that...
Speeding and drag racing are 2 things people should not boast about right;).
We're all real impressed though! :
Old 24-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #53
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Guys guys guys, put ur differences aside will ya.

Anyway, smoked can mean just beat him - not necessarily burnout, and I don't see any mention of speeding.

ANyways, back on track, I wonder how many people will be snapping off those door handles? Might be a common part for Holden to stock up on....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 24-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #54
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Haha, you should see the ones in a Magna - they can even take milk cartons!
its for FUIC...:P

everytime i see pics of the VE, i like it more...

cant wait to see them in the flesh
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #55
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I smoked a 5lt VN a couple of weeks ago, He wasn't happy but i was:p

They won't brake the handle but they will be bad for older people and arthritis suffers, I have found there is a way to open them and it's a pain in the rear, Thumb has got to go in a spot as you pull back:( so if your in a hurry you could hurt your hand forsure.
Old 24-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #56
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
I smoked a 5lt VN a couple of weeks ago, He wasn't happy but i was:p

honestly, who gives a rats that your VN or VP or whatever it is can beat a 5 litre VN.....

this thread is for VE discussion.........
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #57
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

When I say brake, i didn't mean accidentaly. I meant when little bas***'s come and snap them off for the fun of it.... hope it won't catch on....

Old 24-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #58
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:

You can't possibly be serious about those three points. I drive a few of them (VZs) at work and can tell you its not a rough motor at all. It sounds nothing like the Ecotec and it is not sluggish off the line at all - only Falcons with ridiculously tall first gears are!
Old 24-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #59
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:

I would like to know your thoughts on street racing?? I can tell you where to leave that :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrifter
I had a ******** in a proton something-or-other try to line up against my old XF (with had extensive engine mods) and after i smoked him we stopped at set of lights, commenting on the S badge on the side of my car, he said "whats the s for... slow". I just said, "nah mate, it stands for just kicked your asssssssss". Funnily enough he didn't even try at the lights after that...
Speeding and drag racing are 2 things people should not boast about right;).
We're all real impressed though! :
lmao owned!..........but go the xf ssssssssssssss
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #60
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
honestly, who gives a rats that your VN or VP or whatever it is can beat a 5 litre VN.....

this thread is for VE discussion.........
Ok...thats a fair enough point..this is about the VE but that was a bit of a harsh comment on Mr. VP No one should have their pride and joy taken the ИИИИ out of* Ok so yes it was off topic but that was a little erm..venomous...Oh and Mr. VP? I know its tempting but Dont retaliate ok? Lets just move back on to the VE and leave the rest

*Ricer's excluded from the above comments :
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post