Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Lucky I'm a Rugby League fan otherwise I'd be offended.. how about this analogy:

"Holden and Ford is like Rugby union and Rugby League - a constant territorial battle within themselves and against each other, led by big beefy engines. Ricers are just like AFL - go ok until they need to use some muscle".

Note: this is a NSW perspective of course, so no offense to the less populated states.
Hahaha. Yeah, you get the idea.

I was going to use soccer as an example, but I just went with whatever... LOL.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #32
EL_futuraistic

I read an interesting article this week on those little hot hatches.... aparently the XR5 doesnt not have cruise control??? is that correct???

Those pics are of WHEELS MAG not Motor. The current edition has the Camaro on the front, and features pages, upon pages of a SALUTE to the VZ series holdens.

From what i understand its merely a tribute to the Final VT-based Commodore bringing on the all-new VE, but Was the VT-VZ such a milestone in Australian Motoring??

If you read all the letters in Motor, 90% complain about its content. Not enough Euro's, Not enough Fords, Not enough Ferrari's. At the end of the day the Editor chooses stories based on what vehicles are made available to them, and what stories will sell magazines.

I think they feature plenty of fords.... but as someone said different times of the year they feature different cars.

TIP: generally have a flick through a mag b4 you purchase it, that way you wont be upset when it features 90+ pages of Crumpledoors :P
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #33
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holden content in Motor magazine is probably higher than the Australian content in a Holden Commodore.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #34
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple solution
But Australian Muscle Car instead lol

But seriously ppl shouldnt complain about Motors content
Sometimes its Aussie car biased, other times its Euro and Nippon city.
Just pick your issues.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #35
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Yes Motor is the old Modern Motor. My Dad had EVERY SINGLE copy of Modern Motor/Motor and Wheels since their very first edition back in the 50s, right through to the late 80s... when his shed burned down, with every edition in it....
OMG what a tragedy!

You're all pretty civil to the other side in FF. Coming from outside either camp and having owned two Holdens I don't have a problem saying which is the better brand. Holden simply has a history of mediocrity, playing catch ups with the competition and compromising its customers' safety (VP, Daewoo Barina). Ford hasn't exactly been crash hot either until the 2000s but now its products are clearly superior. The new Commodore will simply catch up with where the Falcon is now and everything will be even for a while. Lets see how it goes in ANCAP.

On the other hand, Holden dealers are on the whole much better than Ford dealers....
:
Old 18-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #36
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be the same when ford release the orion next year,motor and wheels will have majority of articles on the new falcon.

Could you really see these magazines ignoring the VE launch having say,only a 3 page article on a brand new car?i cant.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #37
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't buy Modern Motor (money wasted), Problem solved !
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #38
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Thats last months you got a old one
Front cover has the camaro on front.
And the test of the XR5 and VRX. (Which the VRX won)

It's V X R not V R X. This aint no **** heap mitsubishi you know :
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Your right, its a ****heap HSV, not a ****heap mitsubishi. : ing_sm
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Why on Earth the motoring world falls all over Holden I'll never know.
Paul Gover alone orgasms every time dennis mooney says holden, and the rest of them just fall into line and gloss over the failures and rebrand them success.
BTW, Jaedene Hudson is still licking her lips at Holden.
Seriously Holden have milked the VE beautifully. Everyone knows about it, everyone's talking about it, hell there are more threads here on the VE than on Just Commodore.
Now if a lot of people are talking about a new model and want to know before everyone else, would they buy a mag that says VE secrets reveled? ***** oath they would.
I just hope Ford stir up this kind of interest for Orion, make the car seem like it's going to change your life, like its the greatest thing since slice bread! Holden do a great job of this, I knew the VE wasn't going to be all that special (well for 1.2billion spent on it, it isn't) but it got everybody talking about it and for the Holden fan boys the hype has worked on them. I'm still waiting for the technical specs so I can see whats so great about the car.........oh wait they fixed that POS suspension that they had. Hardly worth 1.2b.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #41
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clarify for the ininformed, the new Motor does not have any articles on the VE. The space is mostly taken up by the "tribute" to the VT-VZ models, and I nearly choked when I read the quote on the front cover - "We salute a cult classic" :

Incidentally, the Camaro story relates to how they believe much of the new retro Camaro will make its way into the Monaro, which Motor claims will reappear in around 2009. Provided this is true, I think its an appalling business decision to publicly kill off a model (for the second time) only to bring it back 3-4 years later, and what about all those people who bought the "last" Monaro's? out:
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #42
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Sorry I was looking at a 380 VRX at the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Just to clarify for the ininformed, the new Motor does not have any articles on the VE. The space is mostly taken up by the "tribute" to the VT-VZ models, and I nearly choked when I read the quote on the front cover - "We salute a cult classic" :

Incidentally, the Camaro story relates to how they believe much of the new retro Camaro will make its way into the Monaro, which Motor claims will reappear in around 2009. Provided this is true, I think its an appalling business decision to publicly kill off a model (for the second time) only to bring it back 3-4 years later, and what about all those people who bought the "last" Monaro's? out:
Well it is worth a salute, The VT changed the Australian car industry, It led the way in sales from day 1, It spawned a new performance hero with the Chev LS1. Even with the fuel crisis they still sold V8's in record numbers or up on previous years, It made the BA-BF what it is today. IF it was just a run about we wouldn't be sitting here talking about 300kw cars with features like we have now in Australian cars. It's maybe why the Turbo and Balde IRS was introduced in the BA and not orion in 08?.
Old 19-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #43
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Sorry I was looking at a 380 VRX at the time

Well it is worth a salute, The VT changed the Australian car industry, It led the way in sales from day 1, It spawned a new performance hero with the Chev LS1. Even with the fuel crisis they still sold V8's in record numbers or up on previous years, It made the BA-BF what it is today. IF it was just a run about we wouldn't be sitting here talking about 300kw cars with features like we have now in Australian cars. It's maybe why the Turbo and Balde IRS was introduced in the BA and not orion in 08?.
I actually agree with that.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #44
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Its an Australian car magazine, with an unabashed emphasis on Australian built cars.

Ford gets just as much print space. Just wait intil Ford's new model is featured.

I reckon Motor has a great format, no dross, Prius type cars, lots of hi po machinery and they're not scared to be photographed / write about stuff we all dream about doing..... burnouts, power overteer etc etc. And they love the aftermarket.

I hope they (motor) change nothing.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #45
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

You guys realise that both Wheels and Motor are owned by ACP, the Packer publishing company. Back in the day, there was differences between the two (with Car Australia as a third magazine; whatever happened to it?). Since ACP took ownership of both, they are a carbon copy of each other.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #46
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
The Holden content in Motor magazine is probably higher than the Australian content in a Holden Commodore.
Thats gold.I love it. :
Old 20-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #47
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I actually agree with that.
Thank you It took me hours to think of it
Old 20-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #48
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Well , How many bought the Magazine to have a look at the "New VE" ???? , probably the same amount of GMH owners that bought it to see "The New FORD" at the time . I haven't seen the new Mag. yet , but has it got many GMH adverts in it ? ?
In the media "advertising pays for editorial space" . All about economics.

If GMH pays for heaps of Ads = Heaps of Editorial
If FORD pays for heaps of Ads = Heaps of Editorial

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #49
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
The August edition of Motor magazine has 70+ editorial content photos of Holdens in it! There are many more in advertising as well.

so, don't buy it
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post