Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #31
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the new Camry's... Very fuel effecient, and nice design.

I can definately see myself driving one in the future. Although, it'd have to be an Aurion, or a Sportivo. And of course, I'd have to make a few little changes to it.

Good on Toyota!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #32
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me or does anyone else think it looks like a cross between a mazda 6 and an accord euro? Not that thats a bad thing though.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #33
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Toyota will always plod along and do alright. People are more and more interested in lower fuel usage and reliabilty. Toyotas have always been this way.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #34
blackahcdx

You forgot to mention the fact that the Camry went on sale one week before the Commodore.

And its hardly good news for Toyota when more than 2 reviews(all reviewing the Camry) in the weekend papers said they would prefer the VE to the new Camry

Besides, neither car was on sale for the full month, so its a little unfair to be making any judgements at this stage
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #35
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
And its hardly good news for Toyota when more than 2 reviews(all reviewing the Camry) in the weekend papers said they would prefer the VE to the new Camry
The reviewers preference for a 6cyl RWD over a 4cyl FWD won't make a bit of difference to potential buyers.

Anybody looking at a Camry isn't even thinking of VE or BF.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #36
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

uraniuam death:

Camry's have been known to be dull, boring, crappy interior, under powered and not really appealing.

Some of that has changed, some of it hasn't.

Camry's interior is a fresh new design that has a lot to offer. It's sizable, with a good mixture of things available throughout the range. Altise is pretty well fit out for $28,000 if you ask me. Ateva gains electric seats and climate control. Sportivo doesn't get the climate control, but comes with it's own seats, including a new style of leather seats which aren't offered on any other Camry. Sportivo also gets the electric seats. Sunroof optional on Ateva and Sportivo, standard on Grande.

Interior is great, steering wheel is rather small and incorporates stereo control, cruise control and mode changing buttons for trip computers. Has a funky auto shifter.

Boot space is mammoth comparing to other vehicles - this is something previous Camry buyers do look for. Has security ideas like only being able to fold the seats down by a release in the boot (a theft issue.)

Sportivo's bodykit is very well designed. Suspension is great, handles great for the package you get. Power is up to 117kw, which is a bit weak, but is still plenty of fun for someone who power does not mean everything to.

I was never a fan of the previous Camry's, and I'm still not an avid supporter of the current shape. But I will say that is a good looking car, especially the Sportivo, and is far from as ugly as you say. You want to talk about ugly? Compare the base models between 3 makes. Holdens VE Omega, Mitsubishi 380 and Toyota Camry. I know which one I'd choose based on looks alone.

With $100 servicing for the first 60,000kms/3years, that is also a selling point for Camry.

RWD and FWD is a major load of crap unless you're an enthusiast. The place I work at has sold just about every Camry we have. We have fleet orders backing up because we are getting alot of retails, and the cars are grossing well (hence why fleet can wait for now).

Personally? If I wasn't so enthused about RWD and power - I'd take a black Camry Sportivo with the leather interior, sunroof (Moonroof in Toyota speak), and perhaps a manual transmission. Lower it a tad, put a set of 19's on it, good ICE system and be done with it. It would be a nice looking car, would get a lot of looks regardless of what you anti-Camry people think, and is all under $40k (manual trans. and price is in stock form.)

I think some people need to stop being so anti-Toyota, and embrace the work they are doing. They are a bigger supporter of Australia's workforce industry comparing to the other two manufacturers, and with the Aurion to come, regardless of what alot of people think, I think it will sell a lot more than Commodore and Falcon.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #37
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Wife had an '02 Camry Sportivo from new, and we off-loaded it in March. Basically couldn't fault it for reliability, although it had 1 warranty issue (related to cruise control) and 2 recalls(no work required), It was the V6 auto, and went quite well when provoked. But I found it to be heavy on the juice (probably my driving) and had an ugly interior. I don't like the new one at all. At least to look at.

P.S. Changed the Camry for an '04 Cellica ZR (Black)
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #38
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing Toyota can never engineer into a Camry; enthusiasm and excitement. How's that quote go? "You can sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car" There are obviously a lot of fleets, old people and women buying Camrys ...

Edit: Actually that's being VERY derogatory to women (apologies) .. should be a lot of people with charisma-bypass
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #39
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The high exit costs that MMAL would face if that plant was to close is what is keeping Tonsley going - even if it is with a skeleton crew.

Personally I'd like MMAL to produce other vehicles there - even if they were not mitsubishis - but obviously the tooling, dies and switching batch costs may be prohibitive. I believe Rob McEniry has already stated it would be uneconomical for MMC to produce the lancer in Australia
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #40
aualright

Geez...and here is my neighbour constantly complaining about burning oil in his 3yr old V6 Avalon. The local toyota dealer says its normal due to the viscosity, so I'd be interested to hear if any other toyota V6 owners have a similar problem.

My wife has had an IS200 since new (I6) and that tends to go through more oil than you'd expect...but can't fault the quality in other areas.

Never a drop is lost from the AU Windsor.
aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #41
krt10
eskyman

well at least i know my jobs safe
krt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #42
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Geez...and here is my neighbour constantly complaining about burning oil in his 3yr old V6 Avalon. The local toyota dealer says its normal due to the viscosity, so I'd be interested to hear if any other toyota V6 owners have a similar problem.
The dealer is taking him for a ride, my Avalon ran 10w/30 and never used any oil at all with 110k on the clock. Despite the genaral dullness of that car, i could never fault its build quality or the smoothness of the 1MZ-FE.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #43
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
Geez...and here is my neighbour constantly complaining about burning oil in his 3yr old V6 Avalon. The local toyota dealer says its normal due to the viscosity, so I'd be interested to hear if any other toyota V6 owners have a similar problem.....
Whats new, reminds me of the oil burning rattly POS Gen3 issue that the head GM honcho comes out and says is "perception".
ozrunner is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #44
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

It is a shame about Mitsi, they definitely aren't the worse cars out there.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post