Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #31
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some good suggestions there.
We have had Ford Escapes and they are good handy cars, newest model is much better too.
Also had Laser and Focus and can recommend them too. Focus is bigger.
Liked the suggestion of Liberty, particularly Outback and would also recommend a Forrester to anyone - Especially the XT or a good GT usedie practical fun.
The Peugeot wagon is a top recommendation.
Friends have CRVs, Xtrails, Corolla and Commodore wagons, Escapes, Pajero, Discovery, Prados, Landcruisers, and so on - all mums with kids. Some even have things like Hilux dual cabs, Golf TDIs, Mazda3s, Mazda6, a CX7, Volvo XC90, , and one happy yummy mummy has a Mini Cooper S & Cayenne TurboS -yum with honey on top.
Freelander2, Jeep Patriot and Volvo C30 all look tasty coming options.

Many, like us have Territories. Best value at the moment is the SR, nice package and price. We have 3 under 4 in a Turbo Ghia and had 2 in a Ghia, 1 in an Escape V6. Friend has 2 in a Turbo and loves it - she had a Xtrail before.

Buy what you will still want to have in the driveway beside a Falcon, Ranger, Ute or Territory in 3 plus years and you'll inevitably be happy. None of the cars mentioned here would be a bad choice - those I just didn't mention.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #32
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Everyone has an opinion Cooper69s and you make some good points about 2 other options but going back to the CRV my wifes is the model before last and the handbrake is on the floor. The column shift is not an issue and most of the owners which are women wouldn't give a toss at that.
On road performance is fine,it's a family taxi not a performance taxi,it behaves accordingly,I'm sure 99% of owners being women enjoy them and serve their purpose very well with Honda quality,great service and good depreciation and the numbers sold speak for themsleves.
As for off-road use,who would bother that's not what they are for.
yeah thats true - i expect that the majority of people buying crv's aren't looking for a performance car and will be very happy with it, as honda seems to have a reputation for quality... but if GK5766 isn't planning on taking it offroad, i still think its worth evaluating the benefits of a 4wd as opposed to a car. the one benefit i know of is the height, but compared to a similarly priced car like the mazda6, the performance is worse, the fuel consumption is worse, the servicing costs are higher, the safety i'm not sure but i thought cars were still winning in that area too...??? but if you're happy with the extra cost and you're likely to take the occasional off-road trip then a small 4wd can take you more places than a car will... the versatility might be worth paying a bit extra for... for me the cars do everything i need so we'll stick with that.

4wd's are popular with people who like the idea of being higher up than 'everyone else' so they get extra visibility... but these days where i live practically everyone else has a 4wd too, so to get that extra visibility back, i think they'll need an F250 dual cab with a lift kit... thats a 4wd i'd be happy to own!!
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #33
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
If you're looking at cars in that class and want Japanese, you should take a look at the Subaru Forester. Those are solid, reliable and hold their value well too. Leagues ahead of anything else in that category.
just last week some friends of ours had their third child, and they were telling us they need to sell the forester because it doesn't have enough room for 2 baby seat/capsules at the same time... was something to do with limited room between the front of the back seat and the back of the front seat... might be just them and the type of baby seats they bought but also might be worth keeping in mind when you look...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I suggest the Territory .... albeit can be a tad thirsty (depends how you drive it though) ... it is safe ... roomy ... comfortable ... and drives like a car (handles better than most as well).

Visibility is awesome ... and it's not really a Falcon ... although many similarities.

Excellent family vehicle ... plenty of room as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #35
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Hey mate. In total, unbiased honesty:

Check out the Toyota Aurion. You still get the power and she gets the room and practicality.

Also check out the Mazda CX-7 Luxury.

Both are great buys, reasonably powerful, safe and practical.

Cheers

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #36
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When does the Mondeo wagon come out?
Im bringing my baby SON home form the hospital in a Ford (tomorrow). A big loud XC GXL! Getting him started early, plus it's got plenty of room. I can't wait to see the reaction I get rocking up to the front of the hospital in it. Im going to take photos, lol.
How many people can say they had their first car ride in a 351? I will bet not many of his peers will be able to.

Last edited by GXL078; 30-04-2007 at 11:17 PM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #37
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

0-100 in 8.2...I'm pretty sure that gives an XT a run for its money. Motor is fine, looks are subjective.

6 Airbags, DSC/ESP, Bose Audio, leather and sunroof for ~40k. But hey, each to their own ;)

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #38
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg
0-100 in 8.2...I'm pretty sure that gives an XT a run for its money. Motor is fine, looks are subjective.

6 Airbags, DSC/ESP, Bose Audio, leather and sunroof for ~40k. But hey, each to their own ;)
LOL, I changed my post before I read your reply. Yeah the motor is OK in the car it was designed for (MPS) a bit out of place in a soft roader I reckon.

I am developing a liking fo these: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...jsp?groupId=22
Or even the superseeded model has something about it.
Could go for the 7 seater VRX V6 with leather

Last edited by GXL078; 30-04-2007 at 11:28 PM.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #39
osiris
a large McCrunch with....

ive got both, a rav 4 wagon and an ef2 fairmont wagon and the fairmont wins hands down, not because its a ford, but because its much more practical, bigger/ roomier and safer.

as for the territory, my folks have one and id rather drive a mini. they have the turning circle of a ww2 sherman tank, parts for them are stupidly expensive and they drive like a drunk elephant on rollerskates. the gearboxes are those horrid tip tronic things, they are they are horribly sluggish, even the new ones that are "improved", but an improvement on crap is still crap, no matter how many wrenches u swing off it.

i reckon that u should be starting ur convincing right about now. go the ba / bf wagon.
the extra room REALLY makes all the difference. ive got 2 small kids and another due in 5 weeks, but even now, it fits plenty of shopping, bags, prams, fishing gear etc etc in it.... all at once. plus with the child seat in the back theres still plenty of room.
osiris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #40
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not sure why you are convincing him to get a Falcon wagon ... as it has the same turning circle as the Territory ... uses the same "horrid tip tronic things" as the Territory as well.

Not sure how many kilometres you have driven in a Territory ... but after about 70,000km behind the wheel of one ... it's a bloody safe, excellent vehicle. And more room than a Falcon wagon. All linked with AWD and much larger brakes than a standard Falcon ... a much safer package indeed. Also rating high on the Wheels Active Safety Program tests ... it handles much much better than a drucnk elephant on rollerskates ... hee hee.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #41
XRchic
Hello

From someone who has had 3 kids - do NOT get a small car. A new baby will have a BIG pram, and then a stroller. Even in my XR6 BA boot, I struggle to fit the big pram, the shopping for the week and any other random stuff...

I also had a small car when I just had the first two kids, and it was a nightmare size-wize. And it did have a reasonable boot space too. But you cant fit all the stuff in it, and thats just the facts.

Bear in mind that the new baby will be in a capsule or a rear facing car seat for 8 months or so, and most small cars will not fit these easily. What this means is getting a cheaper, smaller and less safe rear facing seat or fitting them in the middle of the car which is VERY awkward getting bubs in and out... Im glad I have a big car because my son has one of the safest car seats going around but it is big (and mega comfy) and it FITS behind the front seats.

Also, if you plan on having more than one child... think long term with possibly more than one stroller, or even kids school gear, sports gear, kids mates, etc.....

The Territory seems like a decent idea too. Take her for a drive in a Turbo Territory Ghia and see what she thinks of that!!! LOL.

Good luck with the up and coming addition too mate!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #42
XD/F Falc man
Starter Motor

what about a PT Cruiser? mmm these are nice.
XD/F Falc man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
osiris

true, i havent driven 70k in a territory, i dont want to. what i did i didnt like. drove from karratha to perth, and that was well enuff for me. as for the falcons tranny, u can get the standard auto in those, but the point wasnt really about a falcon. it was more for get something larger, a wagon was designed for just this purpose. just the size of the thing is a safety feature, and with kids and family isnt that what u want?

as for the pt cruiser, the less said about the styling the better, but they are really just too small to be practical. they have no boot to speak off, certainly not for shopping baby stuff like prams and bags etc plus all the other stuff that lives in ur car.

at the end of the day, whatever car u choose has to be practical, regarless of what u may prefer. when u get kids its about what works, not what looks good.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #44
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

What about a Forester?
They pump heaps of 06 Forester 'X' through the auctions. The local councils love them. I hope you're ok with white though!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #45
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Like XRchic said, a small car is not a good idea. Once the kids have outgrown prams then a Golf/Jetta diesel is a good way to go, but until then you really need all the space you can get.

Having two kids, I really think a Falcon is the way to go. My missus and I had the same discussion a few years ago, and she told me not to buy another Falcon, but I did anyway....and it was the right decision.

If you really are totally pussy whipped, and have to get something else, then at least get something with a big boot. I don't know how big the boot on a Jetta is, but a Passat would probably be OK. Only trouble is the big hike in the purchase price - Passat costs about 10K more than a Golf.

Another option is a low mileage used Citroen C5 diesel. These are one hell of a nice car, and they cop a big depreciation hit as soon as they hit the road so they are good buying used. You should be able to find a late 2005/early 2006 example with around 20,000km for no more than mid 30s. Spare parts can be a bit exxy, though.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #46
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

I should have also mentioned the 380. It won't have the glam of a Golf, but they have a huge boot, and with the money you save you'll have plenty left over for those new family expenses.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #47
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
When does the Mondeo wagon come out?
Im bringing my baby SON home form the hospital in a Ford (tomorrow). A big loud XC GXL! Getting him started early, plus it's got plenty of room. I can't wait to see the reaction I get rocking up to the front of the hospital in it. Im going to take photos, lol.
How many people can say they had their first car ride in a 351? I will bet not many of his peers will be able to.
that child is destined for greatness.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #48
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

What about a Tezza?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #49
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

CRV is too small. RAV4 is too small. I imagine the Golf is too small too.

Our 2004 Outback is great for 1 kid, adequate for two kids (need to fit the roof pod for holidays) and now that our third kid is on the way - too small. Three kids seats across the back are too tight, as you need to get between two of them to do the belt up on the toddler's booster seat (the other two seats have their own belts, and the car belts for them are set and forget).

We're looking at Falcon wagon, Territory, and possibly real 4WDs (Prado, Disco, Pathfinder).

You will be amazed/appalled at how much room you will need when the kid/s come along. I've always been down on the urban 4WDers, but now I am starting to understand the attraction...

Also, leather is easier to keep clean than cloth - if you get cloth trim have fabric protection applied. To the rooflining too; they open flip-up drink bottles and spray the roof : )

If it's a wagon, a cargo barrier is a must. My wife's father died in a head-on (in a RAV4, spookily enough - hit headon by a Magna). He'd probably have survived if it wasn't for the packed bag that hit him in the back of the head.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #50
daz82
In the family since 1996

After looking after my 2 and 4 year old cousins for a week, I can honestly recomend a Focus hatch, huge boot area, normal car looks, and even looks half decent in zetec form!
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #51
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82
After looking after my 2 and 4 year old cousins for a week, I can honestly recomend a Focus hatch, huge boot area, normal car looks, and even looks half decent in zetec form!
Ditto. Plus there should be some good eals on them as they run out. Or, wait for the new model.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #52
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Focus is a great car. But a 2yo and a 4yo aren't as demanding as even 1 baby. You can get away with no pram for your little cousins, but with a baby theres:

- pram
- food bag
- change bag
- portable cot
- a baby walker when it gets a little older (when they can move they aren't happy sitting in a pram, and a walker is great as they can get around but can't get into too much trouble)

See what I mean about needing space? Add in all the stuff you and your missus need to take for a day out or an overnighter, and suddenly that Falcon wagon is looking good...

Foresters are great, but way too small (built on the Impreza floorpan).

XCGXL - congratulations on the new little man. How about pics of him in the XC? : )
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #53
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
Focus is a great car. But a 2yo and a 4yo aren't as demanding as even 1 baby. You can get away with no pram for your little cousins, but with a baby theres:

- pram
- food bag
- change bag
- portable cot
- a baby walker when it gets a little older (when they can move they aren't happy sitting in a pram, and a walker is great as they can get around but can't get into too much trouble)

See what I mean about needing space? Add in all the stuff you and your missus need to take for a day out or an overnighter, and suddenly that Falcon wagon is looking good...

XCGXL - congratulations on the new little man. How about pics of him in the XC? : )
Summed it up beautifully...it's actually while your child is say under 3 that you really need the most cargo load space. Today's larger prams are a killer and if you need to remove the wheels everytime you try and shove it into a sedan boot it gets very frustrating especially if you're shopping and stopping several times. Also remember boot size is important however the opening dimensions are actually more important and a deep boot with a high lip puts a lot of pressure on your back as you reach in and forward lifting things using your lower back only. I would suggest a test drive that includes storing a pram and my tip would be a wagon or large opening hatch. I would also get your wife to test drive a Terry first because they are actually shorter then a Falcon and the high driving position gives drivers more confidence while the rear load height isn't much higher then a Falcon wagon. Placing your infant in the rear is also far easier in a "high body" vehicle as you can get in yourself without stooping too much or hitting your head....just 10 minutes ago I saw a lady almost standing in the rear of a Terry facing her child while she fitted the restraints.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #54
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too sure what your budget is but if i was in your shoes i'd buy a 2.5L Subaru Liberty or a Honda Accord Euro (basic or luxury). These days you can pick up a 2 or 3 year old 2.5L Liberty for mid-20's and an Accord Euro Luxury for low 30's. If considering new budget on $40K on the road for the Liberty or $50K for the Accord L.

I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest - they're loaded with front, side and curtain air bags, ABS, ESP, built very well, reliable and have solid resale values.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #55
osiris

what ive found is that the best place to buy a car is at ur local auctioneers....... u can save some serious dollars at auctions, not only that but most cars have done less than 80k kms, so really all theyre doing is running it in for u.

like i was looking about 6 months ago and there were 2004/5 patrols going for like $20k with < 75k kms
Old 02-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #56
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo

- pram
- food bag
- change bag
- portable cot

Had a Focus auto hatch yesterday while the TTG was in for service and I fitted the three big kids seats across the back no probs.
Don't fall into the trap of the big nappy bag and all the kit for a baby. Just keep a spare bag in the car for topping up from,so much easier. You can now buy prams which work as a baby capsule which then comes straight out and into the frame to be a pram. We have a Quinny Buzz pram and it fitted easy as pie into the back of the Focus - probably as good to drive as a Golf anyway - love our XR5 but I'd still take a GTI DSG if it was offered.
Speaking of the DSG, Ford should have one too soon, starting in Volvo S40 and C30 most likely. Hey there's a good car Volvo V40 wagon say 2 yold is a top wagon with high level of kit and plenty of go.

Mention was made of the Nissan Xtrail and i noted that the new larger model Xtrail will be released at the Sydney motor show in October.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #57
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mmm I better ask my wife how she fits a 14yrold 6 yr old and 2yrold 3 wheeler pram and shopping in the CRV ???
Maybe she does 3 trips to pick everything up but loves it so much she doesn't tell me LOL....
Admittedly I think we have out grown the CRV but she hasn't complained one bit.
All she does is fill her with gas and loves the use of the back tray picnic table at parks.
There are many choices in the catergry nowadays, my wife has made comment when the time comes to upgrade she likes the Volvo V50 wagon which I don't mind at all.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #58
GK351

Update-

Test drove the 2.0 turbo diesel Golf 6 spd auto today, very impressive build quality, lots of torque and i think it should be right for 1-2 kids anyway.

My wife loved the feel and felt safe behind the wheel which is the most important. I gave it the thumbs up too so it looks like we are going for the golf.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #59
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Thumbs up Closet Golf Owner.....

Excellent choice....

As a previous Golf owner (shhhh!), you'll be very happy. Not to mention the brilliant fuel economy the diesel's are returning... :

Post up some pic's when it arrives.

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #60
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Good choice indeed ... I was pretty damn impressed with the 2L TDi Comfortline ... work mate has one ... and damn they go well ... his was the 6-speed manual though.

Drove from Sydney to Melbourne and still had a 1/4 of a tank left .... awesome.

Just need to be wary of the 6-speed DSG boxes .... have heard of a number of them selecting Neutral while driving ... and never selecting another gear again ... meaning a tow truck trip to the dealer for a transmission replacement (good when you have warranty ... as they are a very expensive box .... around the $5K-$6K mark)