Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #8701
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

I can guarantee in Wait Awhile they won't be getting any XR8's, because WAPOL has a blanket ban on V8's in the Force. They just use off the shelf XR6 Turbos

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #8702
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Why do/did they use F6 models then in NSW & QLD?
Special promotional cars. They don't use them for every HWP driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
Someone mentioned a few pages back that zf still list the high torque 6 speed, could this be (heaven forbid) good marketing by ford?

Spread the rumour that there are limited numbers of parts (or simply dont deny anything) and let the hype build.
It's not quite out of production yet but soon will be. Ford are limiting the number they will purchase so that they won't be left holding the ball at the end of production with hundreds of ZF's unused. They are just going to build the absolute minimum they think they will sell. If it means they miss out on sales well what does it matter at this point.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #8703
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's not quite out of production yet but soon will be. Ford are limiting the number they will purchase so that they won't be left holding the ball at the end of production with hundreds of ZF's unused. They are just going to build the absolute minimum they think they will sell. If it means they miss out on sales well what does it matter at this point.
But would it be feasible for the XR8 manuals to be built still after the ZF's run out?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #8704
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

[QUOTE=stevefreestyle;5204433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

The 335 does NOT have full VCT (which is standard on the 5.0 Coyote on which it is based) ...
If by 'Full VCT' you mean DiVCT I reckon you are right. But the FGX XR8 might.

The Miami does retain the VCT mechanics of the Coyote, but it doesn't run in DiVCT mode because the old PCM had limited outputs. The CAMS can shift phase, but the inlet and exhaust cams must do so together and not independently. I recall the BF I6 announcing that it was running DiVCT years before the term 'Ecoboost' was announced, of which DiVCT, Direct Injection and Turbocharging are all components. There's every reason to believe that it was Ford Australia that pioneered DiVCT within Ford Global - although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If only it had Direct Injection, the BF XR6T could almost claim to be Fords very first Ecoboost engine....

The GTF program used the engine management 'brought forward from the XR8 program' as we heard in one of the press releases. There is every chance that the GTF was able to hit such good power levels without an Intercooler because the new FGX PCM used in the GTF could drive the DiVCT properly - and I would love it if someone was able to confirm this, because all the indications point this way. And since we already know that this was an XR8 program, DiVCT is a serious possibility there too.

Which ultimately means if it is running either 315 or 335 ratings, those would have to be bespoke mappings, and not just a carryover from the FG2 GT....

Lukeyson
Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #8705
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Your kidding yourself if you think HWP will use XR8's. Price alone will kill that idea right off the bat.

Rubbish. They buy the cars tax free and would then auction them off at a profit after thrashing them for 50,000km.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #8706
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Rubbish. They buy the cars tax free
They're not luxury cars... how much tax do you think is in the price??
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #8707
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The price we pay? 10% GST, plus whatever else we don't know about. So if the Ticket price is $52,990+ORC, you know that at least $4800 of that is tax because of GST.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #8708
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, not much then.

How big is the typical fleet discount? And they're not buying through a dealer are they? I assume they would something closer to wholesale?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #8709
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
So, not much then.
I'd call 10%+ whatever I don't know about 'much'.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #8710
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Luxury Car Tax goes by the value of the vehicle, not its content.

Highly unlikely the XR8 (in Police guise anyway) will trigger the LCT threshold. Current threshold is $61K.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #8711
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

What are you guys doing to secure an XR8? My wife thinks I should be leaving a deposit (as do all the dealers I've spoken to...).

Do you feel that your bargaining power will be reduced? What credit setup will you be looking at? I've never bought a brand new car before, so this is all new to me.

For such a large investment, I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for expensive mistakes. Was hoping that Ford would bring back 2.9%, but I'm not confident of that. RACQ/NRMA/RACV seem to be offering a decent price, but feedback would be welcome!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #8712
PTR_NITRO_FG
Boost Cruiser

Not an investment! lol

Also the 2.9% was never on falcons IIRC

Maybe the ecoboost if ever; but definitely never seen it on the turbos? Or XR8

....but I may be wrong
PTR_NITRO_FG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #8713
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

No, certainly no investment! Poor choice of words there.

Hence why I'm looking to take the sting out of the purchase.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #8714
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

FGX335 I think you should leave a $1000 deposit so they know you're serious, but so that if something goes majorly wrong you aren't out of pocket too much (for example if you have major disappointment when final equipment and spec is released).

Your bargaining power will be reduced because they know you're keen for the car, but it is silly to suggest that it is likely they will heavily discount these cars just after they are launched.

You most likely won't get any special finance deals from the dealership on a new model like this, it is usually for run-out models or in-stock cars.

So I'd suggest lining up your own good deal on finance (shop around) prior to signing an actual contract. This puts you in a little better position to bargain, because dealers (believe it or not) often try the 'can't you just borrow more?' line if they know you want to apply through their finance, rather than lowering the contract price. Whereas if you say "I have $x to spend" then they can't really argue with that because they don't know how much you have available.

Try to get pre-approved for enough to allow you to spend $60k drive-away for this car, or more if you want the top of the line. I personally wouldn't get a novated lease, I'd be looking at just normal secured car loans if I was shopping for a car of this nature.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #8715
anto
Za Dom spremni

wait until it comes out then have a good look over it and and put a deposit down then if you like everything.
Its not a GTF, people need to calm down a bit.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #8716
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
wait until it comes out then have a good look over it and and put a deposit down then if you like everything.
Its not a GTF, people need to calm down a bit.
Yep, I think I might just do that. Have the finance ready to rock, and pull the trigger if I'm tempted. Sweet, thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #8717
PTR_NITRO_FG
Boost Cruiser

Also should be noted that not all car dealerships will give you a 'rip off' interest rate....

I actually found the dealer I bought from offered me 2% P.A. less than my cheapest bank rate.

Most big dealerships are funded by a major bank...and if they can score the business off you its more profit for them; therefore most of the time they will want to beat whatever cheap rate you provide
PTR_NITRO_FG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #8718
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
What are you guys doing to secure an XR8? My wife thinks I should be leaving a deposit (as do all the dealers I've spoken to...).

Do you feel that your bargaining power will be reduced? What credit setup will you be looking at? I've never bought a brand new car before, so this is all new to me.

For such a large investment, I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for expensive mistakes. Was hoping that Ford would bring back 2.9%, but I'm not confident of that. RACQ/NRMA/RACV seem to be offering a decent price, but feedback would be welcome!
You will pay full retail if you put a deposit down now. Ford will not be doing 2.9 on new Falcon for a while.

If you want a decent deal I would be waiting for an EX demo to come up, some dealers will be putting them on as demos, but not many.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #8719
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR_NITRO_FG View Post
Not an investment! lol

Also the 2.9% was never on falcons IIRC

Maybe the ecoboost if ever; but definitely never seen it on the turbos? Or XR8

....but I may be wrong
2.9% has always been offered on Falcon, just not FPV.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #8720
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR_NITRO_FG View Post
Also should be noted that not all car dealerships will give you a 'rip off' interest rate....

I actually found the dealer I bought from offered me 2% P.A. less than my cheapest bank rate.

Most big dealerships are funded by a major bank...and if they can score the business off you its more profit for them; therefore most of the time they will want to beat whatever cheap rate you provide
Did they prove to you that the rate was 2% cheaper, or did they just tell you that.

When shopping for payments you need to compare the monthly payment, nothing else (providing the term etc are all the same).
Old 05-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #8721
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
FGX335 I think you should leave a $1000 deposit so they know you're serious, but so that if something goes majorly wrong you aren't out of pocket too much (for example if you have major disappointment when final equipment and spec is released).

Your bargaining power will be reduced because they know you're keen for the car, but it is silly to suggest that it is likely they will heavily discount these cars just after they are launched.

You most likely won't get any special finance deals from the dealership on a new model like this, it is usually for run-out models or in-stock cars.

So I'd suggest lining up your own good deal on finance (shop around) prior to signing an actual contract. This puts you in a little better position to bargain, because dealers (believe it or not) often try the 'can't you just borrow more?' line if they know you want to apply through their finance, rather than lowering the contract price. Whereas if you say "I have $x to spend" then they can't really argue with that because they don't know how much you have available.

Try to get pre-approved for enough to allow you to spend $60k drive-away for this car, or more if you want the top of the line. I personally wouldn't get a novated lease, I'd be looking at just normal secured car loans if I was shopping for a car of this nature.
Why wouldn't you do a novated lease?
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #8722
v8der
Naturally Aspirated

When buying new always get your own finance.

No matter what fancy % rate they give, you can always smash it by getting your own.

1993 EBII Fairmont 4sp auto Biscayne Blue

Previous Forms of Transportation:

1978 302 V8 XC | 1982 4.1L XD | 1994 ED Fairmont | 2000 AUII XR6 | 2002 AUIII XR8 | 2003 BA XR6 } 2011 SZ Titanium Territory | 2006 BF Pursuit BOSS 290 6spd manual #57 | 2003 BA Fairmont 5.4L 4spd auto |
v8der is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #8723
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Spotted this G6E turbo heading to Geelong from Melbourne this arvo.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #8724
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Don't think we've seen one of those yet! You'll have made some people very happy.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #8725
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

There's no turbo badge on the boot, but there was a piece of paper I saw on the dash saying G6E Turbo. Plus it had what looked like 19 inch wheels.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #8726
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has turbo rims.

And is that a red 'E'?
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #8727
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
But would it be feasible for the XR8 manuals to be built still after the ZF's run out?
They are limited to how many engines they can build anyway. They have locked down the number already and it ain't going to change.

[QUOTE=Luke Plaizier]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post

If by 'Full VCT' you mean DiVCT I reckon you are right. But the FGX XR8 might.

The Miami does retain the VCT mechanics of the Coyote, but it doesn't run in DiVCT mode because the old PCM had limited outputs. The CAMS can shift phase, but the inlet and exhaust cams must do so together and not independently. I recall the BF I6 announcing that it was running DiVCT years before the term 'Ecoboost' was announced, of which DiVCT, Direct Injection and Turbocharging are all components. There's every reason to believe that it was Ford Australia that pioneered DiVCT within Ford Global - although I'd be happy to be proven wrong. If only it had Direct Injection, the BF XR6T could almost claim to be Fords very first Ecoboost engine....

The GTF program used the engine management 'brought forward from the XR8 program' as we heard in one of the press releases. There is every chance that the GTF was able to hit such good power levels without an Intercooler because the new FGX PCM used in the GTF could drive the DiVCT properly - and I would love it if someone was able to confirm this, because all the indications point this way. And since we already know that this was an XR8 program, DiVCT is a serious possibility there too.

Which ultimately means if it is running either 315 or 335 ratings, those would have to be bespoke mappings, and not just a carryover from the FG2 GT....

Lukeyson
XR8 motors do not have exhaust phasers, so count that out. Only difference is powered by Ford coil covers and not, powered by FPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia
Rubbish. They buy the cars tax free and would then auction them off at a profit after thrashing them for 50,000km.
Simple fact is the XR8 will be at least 10k or more dearer than an SS or XR6 Turbo, so the police are not going to pay that much extra over what they use now for those cars that do the job required already. Even if that 10k is less due to fleet discount etc. But from what i'm hearing fleet discounts probably won't apply to XR8's anyway.

Not to mention the extra fuel and tyre costs of an XR8 over the other 2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #8728
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
The price we pay? 10% GST, plus whatever else we don't know about. So if the Ticket price is $52,990+ORC, you know that at least $4800 of that is tax because of GST.
Manufacturers have government pricing, police, councils, charities are all included in this, the don't pay rego, stamp duty, gst, dealer delivery, and the manufacturer basically sells the car at cost to these sort of buyers.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #8729
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
There's no turbo badge on the boot, but there was a piece of paper I saw on the dash saying G6E Turbo. Plus it had what looked like 19 inch wheels.
Yeah, looks like it's got the red "E"

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #8730
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
It also has an XR-style exposed exhaust tip, unlike the previous G6E we're seen.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post