Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you use das sudschleife
Hell yes and would drive at an appropriate speed for conditions just like the autobahns 63 75.00%
Maybe if the toll were cheaper, $100 could buy me 2 new tyres 17 20.24%
Yes but I would only drive at 110km/h, over that is too dangerous 0 0%
No it would be too dangerous/expensive, I prefer to drive with trucks, caravans and camrys 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
why would i sit in my car for 6hrs driving flatout filling up 3 times + paying the $100 toll to get to sydney from melbourne, only to have to do it again on the way home

when it takes me 18min from my door to the departure gate
Business $90.11 return is what it cost me and my beneficiary to fly each return, and there is a flight every half hour, and Jetstar costs me less, and if the flight is full i can still get on if the jump seat is free..

and i can sit back and do nothing whilst someone brings me drinks, not look out for highspeed kangaroos

that said im happy for all the highways to be resurfaced and reset to 130km/h with exclusions on caravans slow moving trucks and equipment and old european/asian drivers who sit in the right lane at 80km/h
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #62
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
You must be a fast runner and have friends in high places. Most airlines want you there at least 30 mins before departure.

I take it your final destination is also only 18 mins from the arrival gate?
dude i have a magic card, it allows me to jump the queue, i dont run... but should i miss the flight i just go on the next one, sad to say but Qantas/Jetstar as poor as OTP is is more reliable than the local but train and trams

and i do go places to drive, i have several places i take my old car out to give it a fun workout, but to drive it fast for hours on end isnt fun, been there and done that... i prefer driving mel/adl via the coast rather than inland even though it makes the missus sick and takes longer, something to do for a few hours rather than stick it on cruise and hope to see a ufo or something
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #63
dogfish

[QUOTE=mickxr8]oh to be able to this legally !. (not that i can afford it lol)

You used to be able to in the Northern Territory until the Labor Government got in and killed the open speed limit and let the roads go to crap QLD has better roads now as you head over the border onto the Barkley NT side looks horrible and well used compared to the QLD side and it kills me saying that.
I used to sit on 200kmhish on my road bike and 150-170 kmh in my car down to Katherine to see a mate just had to slow down for Adelaide River really the cop there was pretty keen for scalps.
AHHH those were the days.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #64
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Funny you should mention camrys
when i was trekking the bruce daily back a few years ago, i'd sit in the right hand lane almost all the time because i was the fastest. Only on the odd occasion did i change to the left hand lane to let faster people through (straight away, always) and the two groups were the V8 boys and mad camrys. Basically never anyone else.
Old 26-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
why would i sit in my car for 6hrs driving flatout filling up 3 times + paying the $100 toll to get to sydney from melbourne, only to have to do it again on the way home

Business $90.11 return is what it cost me and my beneficiary to fly each return, and there is a flight every half hour, and Jetstar costs me less, and if the flight is full i can still get on if the jump seat is free..

and i can sit back and do nothing whilst someone brings me drinks, not look out for highspeed kangaroos

that said im happy for all the highways to be resurfaced and reset to 130km/h with exclusions on caravans slow moving trucks and equipment and old european/asian drivers who sit in the right lane at 80km/h
Why indeed?

You wish to take friends.
You wish to take pets.
You wish to take something heavy or something classed as "dangerous goods".
You wish to continue on or stop short at a place that has no RPT.
You wish to leave Sydney at 2am.
You wish to call in at a few places along the way.

You wish to make the journey as an excuse to drive fast.

I have been flying for many many years on RPT, commercially and privately and one thing I have learned....."Got time to spare, go by air".....
Old 26-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #66
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LMFAO.

Hypothetically, Why must it be called ''flapco''?

Having done the run to Sydney from Brissy and back again too many times, i'd say hell yeah. even at a $100. After all 10 k's over the limit is worth about $133 IIRC. And a point.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #67
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Hypothetically, Why must it be called ''flapco''?
Cause you should have noticed that earlier in this thread that Flapco is named after its founder - Frankie Flappist.

The same as SIRROMET wines, thats the owners name backwards - T.E. Morris. Lucas Film, George Lucas, etc....

Quote:

I know a couple of people have replied to this already, but since its a direct response to my post, Ill put in as well.

You must be one of those non-car-people. A person who sees a car as 1500kgs (more or less) of glass, rubber, steel & plastic, & using those materials to go from point A to point B. *YAWN*

For the rest of us, our car is our life, our hobby, our enjoyment, our stress relief, the reason why our mates come over, or the extra member of our family. Our cars have a certain human quality to it. Its something that is more than just a machine, its something thats a part of our life, & I may be quoting a training speech from the marines here, but - This is my car. There are many cars like it, but this one is mine. You may look at a car & think its crap, but the owner, its like gold on wheels.

You obviously are on planes all the time. By the looks of your post, your a busy person who needs to maxmise his time. Fair enough, planes are possibly the best way for you to travel. This Highway is the Aussie Flapco version of the Autobahn, people from all over the world fly to germany just to drive on it... Thats it thats sometimes the only reason why they go there. Not to go anywhere, just drive it. Same with the Flapway, sure you want to get to Sydney to Brisbane, but WANT to drive it at speed. Its all about the experience. So if you do get that... Its also obvious that the Flapway & this thead... Isnt for you.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 27-09-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #68
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^Guess you missed my sarcasm.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #69
MexicanBatman
Banned

Dude non car person lol

I wish, if I was a non car/motorbike person I'd probably have money and a nicer car, I have never owned anything that I haven't modified and then usually over modified until it was useless.. Yeah autobahn been there done that, and not to buy a yellow cap, but belting along a straight bit of road is no fun, throw lots of corners on it and terrifying drops on one side and you have some fun, but to travel from one capital to another in a shorter time the air is the way, failing that a bullet train is a better idea than a freeway that will never happen even if we brought our own land and built it ourselves
Old 27-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A few spitball figures I discovered on the internet, in the USA a 6-lane freeway costs around $12 million/mile excluding bridges and interchange on/ off ramps and that's still not to autobahn standard..

In order to build a high speed road between Brisbane and Sydney, I'd estimate the total cost being around
$37 billion and the annual interest on that money around $3.7 billion or around $10 million a day. So if you
had 40,000 users on your autobahn each day they would have to pay around $250 just to cover the interest...

I'm no road engineer or accountant but if those figures are half way true
then no wonder we don't get good roads in this country.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #71
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
A few spitball figures I discovered on the internet, in the USA a 6-lane freeway costs around $12 million/mile excluding bridges and interchange on/ off ramps and that's still not to autobahn standard..

In order to build a high speed road between Brisbane and Sydney, I'd estimate the total cost being around
$37 billion and the annual interest on that money around $3.7 billion or around $10 million a day. So if you
had 40,000 users on your autobahn each day they would have to pay around $250 just to cover the interest...

Maybe it could just be a gravel super-highway - that would be a thrill ride!
Originally Posted by flappist
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAV
Maybe it could just be a gravel super-highway - that would be a thrill ride!
Oh yeh, and make it mandatory for all 4WDs to use it keeping them off the "real" road......
Old 27-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #73
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

No worries at all. I (I mean they) will just borrow $100,000,000 a day to pay for it.......

Actually if you read the first post you will see that no public servants or government contractors were used so the actual costs will be WAY lower

Last edited by flappist; 27-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #74
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres something funny
There was talk of a super water pipe from up north to brissie
(you know it was designed over 80 years ago)
But the government doesnt have the land for such a thing
Cant use the railway land,nah thats just not right
Im still amased how political parties can spent millions on advertising come election time, but couldnt spent that money towards "Flap Co" super highway
Get the inmates,and the dolies to help
Wasnt that how the autobarn was build
Slave labour in the war ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #75
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
So very true, much more enjoyable indeed. Some people just dont get it mate so there is no point trying to explain it
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #76
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I was desperate to get to the NT before the open speed limit was outlawed. I made the decision to go on Boxing Day and didn’t get there before the new laws kicked in on New Years day.
My car is rumoured to only have a Vmax of 220-230kmh, mechanically sound, good tyres and has been near an indicated 200kmh at Sandown and Phillip Island. I was interested to see how fast it could go and somewhere I would’ve liked to try to put to rest the old furphy about it taking 400m to come to a stop from 200kmh.

The 2000kg weight limit will knock out a couple of plutocrat’s expresses and SUV’s. While it doesn’t worry me I imagine the owners of Bentley Continental’s, Mercedes ML63, BMW X5M & X6M, FPV F6X, Jeep SRT8 and Porsche Cayenne’s would be a bit miffed.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I was desperate to get to the NT before the open speed limit was outlawed. I made the decision to go on Boxing Day and didn’t get there before the new laws kicked in on New Years day.
My car is rumoured to only have a Vmax of 220-230kmh, mechanically sound, good tyres and has been near an indicated 200kmh at Sandown and Phillip Island. I was interested to see how fast it could go and somewhere I would’ve liked to try to put to rest the old furphy about it taking 400m to come to a stop from 200kmh.

The 2000kg weight limit will knock out a couple of plutocrat’s expresses and SUV’s. While it doesn’t worry me I imagine the owners of Bentley Continental’s, Mercedes ML63, BMW X5M & X6M, FPV F6X, Jeep SRT8 and Porsche Cayenne’s would be a bit miffed.
The last week or so of (//) sucked anyway. It was raining every day with some local flooding.
The 2T was only indicative and was designed to stop trucks, buses and patrol/cruiser style "urban assault vehicles"
Old 27-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #78
Boosh Brus

Are motorbikes allowed on this road?
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #79
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Heres something funny
There was talk of a super water pipe from up north to brissie
(you know it was designed over 80 years ago)
But the government doesnt have the land for such a thing
Cant use the railway land,nah thats just not right
Im still amased how political parties can spent millions on advertising come election time, but couldnt spent that money towards "Flap Co" super highway
Get the inmates,and the dolies to help
Wasnt that how the autobarn was build
Slave labour in the war ???

Illegal immigrants as well
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #80
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Intersting concept Flappist.

A few concerns:-

1. Over 2 Tonnes, new FPV GT with full Tank and 2 Burly People on board would push that. Also a Bentley designed to run on German AutoBarn would be over the limit.

2. Age limit of Cars. Today a 2001 T3 would be okay, but the same car next year wont. I think this concept is flawed. Older Classic Muscle Cars are also outv of the Picture.

3. I like Russells idea of Vaporising Camrys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
No worries at all. I (I mean they) will just borrow $100,000,000 a day to pay for it.......

Actually if you read the first post you will see that no public servants or government contractors were used so the actual costs will be WAY lower
Yep, once the RTAs and their gravt train contractors get a hold of a good idea it turns into KAKA..

Even your high speed dirt road sounds like fun, maybe we just make her like a mine haul road..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #82
MexicanBatman
Banned

on the news today they mentioned no bullet train between melbourne and brisbane via syd

because it'd cost 100mil per km in the metro area and 16mil a km (not exact figures)

damn gimmie the money and i'll build you 2 high speed rail links and a dragstrip racetrack the entire length for you hoons ;) and i'll throw in a free space elevator too!
Old 28-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Intersting concept Flappist.

A few concerns:-

1. Over 2 Tonnes, new FPV GT with full Tank and 2 Burly People on board would push that. Also a Bentley designed to run on German AutoBarn would be over the limit.

2. Age limit of Cars. Today a 2001 T3 would be okay, but the same car next year wont. I think this concept is flawed. Older Classic Muscle Cars are also outv of the Picture.

3. I like Russells idea of Vaporising Camrys.
2T was kerb weight as in no pax etc.
T3s will be banned outright, T2 and T1 are ok though , The 10 year rule was again a guideline, an 11 year old M3 would be a lot safer than a 9 year old Falcadore at high speed.

Older classic muscle cars are definitely out of the picture. Safety is one of the major issues and regardless of how rose coloured your glasses are they will still be shattered and covered in blood if you have an oops. Muscle cars can go fast but do not stop well, go around corners well or protect the passengers well.

This is not a race track it is a high speed transit facility and is not open to anyone just because they have a car and $100.

Yes it is open to motorbikes but again, the sanity rules will apply.
Old 28-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #84
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So cars with airbags all of a sudden are safe ???
(new age thing )

Id wonder if for some reason a new car wasnt equiped with an airbag
Gee youll be in a mess in a crash

I think having a smash at the speeds your recommending,
It wouldnt matter what your in your rose coloured glasses are gunna come out of your body from the other end
A muscle car of sorts (old skool)
Would probably handle what your recommending more so then a granpa spec commondore/falcooon

I would like to see em battle it out on a track to see whats better
Bit 1 eyed excluding older style muscle

Once "Flap Co." make there first gazillion from this expedition
The CEOs arent gunna care whats on it
A quick hundred here a quick hundred there
What about full indemnity from you for users on this "Super Highway"
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #85
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the average Falcon/Commodore/Aurion isn't really designed for being driven at those speeds (above 110). the local guys would have to up their quality to the levels of German auto makers.
Old 28-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #86
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
But the average Falcon/Commodore/Aurion isn't really designed for being driven at those speeds (above 110). the local guys would have to up their quality to the levels of German auto makers.
Proof??

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #87
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
So cars with airbags all of a sudden are safe ???
(new age thing )

Id wonder if for some reason a new car wasnt equiped with an airbag
Gee youll be in a mess in a crash

I think having a smash at the speeds your recommending,
It wouldnt matter what your in your rose coloured glasses are gunna come out of your body from the other end
A muscle car of sorts (old skool)
Would probably handle what your recommending more so then a granpa spec commondore/falcooon

I would like to see em battle it out on a track to see whats better
Bit 1 eyed excluding older style muscle

Once "Flap Co." make there first gazillion from this expedition
The CEOs arent gunna care whats on it
A quick hundred here a quick hundred there
What about full indemnity from you for users on this "Super Highway"
Same rhetoric from the muscle car enthusiasts. If ther choice was no muscle cars or no autobahn at all which one would you choose? If a XY GT can use it then why not a series 2 land rover?

1) If cars are not safer why is the road toll down when the number of accidents has gone up?

2) The difference between old school muscle cars and modern cars is a bit more than a few airbags. ABS, DSC, Traction control, IRS, crumple zones, anti intrusion bars, intelligent steering.......

3) Old school vs new was shown vividly on Topgear Aus last year, Phase 3 GTHO vs FG XT.

4) I have it one VERY good authority that the CEO of Flap Co is not doing this for the money....
Old 28-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Modern Falcadores MUST be designed to work safely at the speeds they can get up to otherwise the FIRST accident would bankrupt both Ford and Holden.

Ford and Holden spend a huge amount of time and money designing their vehicles they don't just send the work experience kid down to Supacheap with a credit card.....
Old 29-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #89
JG34JA

Default Aussie autobahn

Yep, it's a delicious thought. An autobahn linking Bells and the Superbank, where you get to drive (and concentrate) at far heightened levels. The raison d'etre for the Territory Turbo, loaded with performance surfboards!

Extra driving qualifications needed, and proudly gained.

Another angle on this: I'd be proud of an Australia with this kind of technology. Add to that Flapco 500km/h "shinkansen" linking Brisbane and Melbourne. Flapco national solar energy network and solar steel mills, Flapco nationally linked dam and water network, Flapco heavy rail linking NW WA with QLD for world class industry, and a Flapco Hyundai-esque carmaking giant...

The only thing stopping us is current policy.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #90
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh no, there will never be a Flapco solar energy company.

I am a "yellowie".

I believe that solar panels are draining the Sun faster than any time in history and if we don't stop the Sun will go flat and we don't have a big enough recharger for it.

These greenie lunatics are selfish, they will destroy the solar system just to feel good and tell us lies about CO2.

I am also a member of PETP (People for the ethical treatment of plants). We believe that vegetarians are murderers and if animals eat plants we must help the plants by eating animals. We also believe that there should be more CO2 as that is what plants breath.

Priuses suffocate innocent trees, Hybrid owners are murderers......