Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #61
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Default Re: $22k to spend on a car. What do you buy?

I can put my two bobs in for a vw Jetta. I bought my 2006 top of the line model with only 66k km for 21,500. It has everything including awesome heated leather seats. The boot is bigger than my falcon. It is the version that is basically a golf gti with a boot. Plenty of room on the inside and goes like stink. I love it as much as my xr8. They have good build quality and so many features. I mean it has cooled compartments times two for instance, a hook in the boot for putting takeaway on, drawers under both front seats, just to name a couple. Give them a look, trust me!

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #62
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or a citroen c4 yeah i know their but ugly but there a damned nice car and you could get and 09/10 model for your price range i'd think.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #63
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks for all the suggestions, I should also add that I am trying to get away from Jap/Euro cars. Reason being if anything goes wrong with them, even servicing, can cost a heap. The Accord's valve clearances have to be checked every 40,000kms and I'm a little over that side of it. Plus the local dealers for VW etc are not the best and that all has to be taken into account.

The other half has her heart set on a Viper FG XR6 which she wants to lower and put wheels on. Who am i to not give her what she wants?
Old 30-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That's because Honda use old school style lifters over Hydraulic ones which self adjust like everyone else. All their cars have that issue.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #65
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
2012 Hyundai Elantra! $20,950. Suspension tuning carried out in Aus, lowest drag co-efficient of it's class, 6sp auto, 5 Star ancap, bluetooth/ipod etc. Seems to have all the goods. Hyundai's new stuff is pretty impressive.
This Austin.

I had a good look at one at the MMS and was very impressed. Hyundai servicing is cheap and warranty long so no issues there, they also look decent and even if it were to be only as good as the previous Elantra to drive it is not a bad thing.

I bought my mrs the previous version, 07 Elantra Elite manual, and I'm bloody impressed with it. For what we paid we got a LOT of car.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #66
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8snerlo
I can put my two bobs in for a vw Jetta. I bought my 2006 top of the line model with only 66k km for 21,500. It has everything including awesome heated leather seats. The boot is bigger than my falcon. It is the version that is basically a golf gti with a boot. Plenty of room on the inside and goes like stink. I love it as much as my xr8. They have good build quality and so many features. I mean it has cooled compartments times two for instance, a hook in the boot for putting takeaway on, drawers under both front seats, just to name a couple. Give them a look, trust me!
^^^ This. Im also thinking of this car for myself, or a 4motion Passat. Class and dam good build quality for an affordable price.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #67
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
^^^ This. Im also thinking of this car for myself, or a 4motion Passat. Class and dam good build quality for an affordable price.
Do yourself a favour and do some research on the DSG if you are going that way. I worked with a guy who had a Jetta and really had issues in traffic with the DSG.Not that I have driven one ,but maybe the DSG is as great as claimed.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #68
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Do yourself a favour and do some research on the DSG if you are going that way. I worked with a guy who had a Jetta and really had issues in traffic with the DSG.Not that I have driven one ,but maybe the DSG is as great as claimed.
I too have read and heard this as well. They say if issues happens to one, it usually happens earlier on in the cars life. Seeing as the OP wants a manual, it won't be an issue. I too want a manual for my next car. Hoping an top end VW will accommodate in the manual department.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #69
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Thanks for all the suggestions, I should also add that I am trying to get away from Jap/Euro cars. Reason being if anything goes wrong with them, even servicing, can cost a heap. The Accord's valve clearances have to be checked every 40,000kms and I'm a little over that side of it. Plus the local dealers for VW etc are not the best and that all has to be taken into account.

The other half has her heart set on a Viper FG XR6 which she wants to lower and put wheels on. Who am i to not give her what she wants?
Bingo, they're a lot of car with good performance for the money.
Brakes are a bit soft for my liking but that's easily fixed.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #70
RAPID_BA
Banned

if she doesnt need a full size car, dont put her in a tank..

For that price, best value is a brand new lancer, pick her colour, a few extras, 5 yr warranty and 10 year powertrain. cant beat that.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #71
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
if she doesnt need a full size car, dont put her in a tank..

For that price, best value is a brand new lancer, pick her colour, a few extras, 5 yr warranty and 10 year powertrain. cant beat that.
Except for the fact that it has already been said that a Lancer is too small for her liking.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #72
AcidTrip

Women ... Just buy her a Corolla and be done with it.

My missus spent so long deciding what she wanted to buy that in the end I gave up trying to help her. She wound up with an 04 Civic in lilac that she loves to bits. Why not tell her to choose herself? In the end she needs to be happy with it, not anyone else.
AcidTrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #73
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'd be looking in Hyundai's camp, they are bringing out some bloody brilliant machines.
Old 30-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #74
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question Re: $22k to spend on a car. What do you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i'm curious to know how many km is considered too high on the current Accord? My daily has 271,000 on it and it's still great
I was thinking along the same lines.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #75
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I'd be looking in Hyundai's camp, they are bringing out some bloody brilliant machines.
Which hyundai is bigger than a lancer? If the lancer is too small so is the hyundai.

If not the lancer than gotta grab her a fg xr6. Just makes sure its a private owner example with low km. Good alrounder.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #76
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Which hyundai is bigger than a lancer? If the lancer is too small so is the hyundai.

If not the lancer than gotta grab her a fg xr6. Just makes sure its a private owner example with low km. Good alrounder.
Elantra and i45 are both bigger.
Old 30-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #77
b2tf
not here much anymore

In all honesty the Accord Euro is a brilliant car, has only done 72,000kms and I would happily keep it a bit longer. BUT, the choice we have is do we trade it/sell it now while it is still worth something or keep it and run it into the ground. As it is we've decided to move it on and see what we can get to replace it.

Mrs b2tf's car is primarily her daily driver but it is also our 'long trip' car hence why a Lancer, Golf etc is not quite big enough. I do the driving on long trips so I want a bit of comfort.

The FG's at the moment look like great value for money - XR6 with all the goodies for under $25k driveaway I can't really see a downside.

We will look at the Hyundais but she is a bit of a stickler for brands hence the Falcon, Commodore et al options keep coming up.
Old 30-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #78
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Fair enough Austin. Each to their own in then end.

Sounds like you have made up your mind on the choices. Seeing as falcons and commo's are a dime a dozen, just make sure you are picky as hell before you hand over any cash.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

Mrs b2tf's car is primarily her daily driver but it is also our 'long trip' car hence why a Lancer, Golf etc is not quite big enough. I do the driving on long trips so I want a bit of comfort.
FG is perfect for long trips. mine is 6sp and averaged 7.9L/100km over the 5000km round trip to bris and back (from adelaide). thats 4 of us and full to the brim with luggage. also includes the bit of driving around we did whilst up there. fantastic cruiser.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #80
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Just make sure the FG isnt an ex rental.. Theres alot of them on the market at the moment ex hertz, avis and thrifty... You can buy them from the auctions for about 17 - 18 kay...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post