Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #61
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Default Re: USA Trip

lol Same time as me, I've got tickets to Wrestlemania 28!
We've managed to snag a convertible mustang for a couple of days aswell.
From memory from the last time I was in LA there were quite a few performance stores around.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

I'm interested in going, most likely by myself next year or the year after, can under 25 rent cars over there? Also is there much choice in type of car?

Whats it like driving on the other side of the road?
I'm hiring a car in LA next week. I am 21.
They charge an 'age allowance'
Just getting a Ford Focus (or similar) but there was a massive range of car types when I looked online.

Next time I go over to US, when I am over 25, I will be looking at hiring a Corvette.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #63
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FYI,
I just rented a convertible mustang from a major outlet in LA (might be cheaper in FL) for less than 50 bucks a day inc insurances and taxes and no km limit - I have it for 2 weeks and will do probably over 4000 miles

PM me if you want to know details
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #64
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yups, and just make sure you return it with a full tank of gas.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #65
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Also - you can turn right on a red light so long as no one coming. For my few first turn I was wondering why everyone was tooting me... then the penny dropped.

Also a tip for driving on other side of road (I did 10,000kms without a hitch once learning these aids):

If 'mini' panic confusion - just follow path of car if front - they are a local.

Just think opposite of instinct

Never become arrogant and say I have mastered this

Everyday befor starting say to yourself I have done well so far but need to concentrate because of a lapse in concentration may bring all my good work undone

Remote areas where you are alone can be an issue...esp turing after a stop sign etc as you may go to left by routine

I have read for some that tying a bow to 12oclock on steering wheel / or (say) a smurf on dashboard top is a subtle constant visual reminder and the brain learns why it is there.....
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #66
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got our hire organised- 'Stang 'vertible, would've prefered a Challenger though!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #67
z80
Banned

Avis are everywhere...In the major cities you can get anything you want..corvette,mustang...whatever..

If in orlando you can get this close to the shuttle...if you are quick cause it wont last long...

...here is what to find when you get to the end of "66" at santa Monica pier...

z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #68
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VERY difficult to get a Mustang or Challenger ONE-WAY Chicago to L.A., Avis & Hertz have the cars but not for this journey. Ours is through "Alamo"
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #69
catomo1
Thommo

Looking to do a trip next year as well. Want to include the V8 Supercar race in Austin so still trying to work a plan out. Anyone hear when dates will be announced?
catomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #70
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by catomo1
Looking to do a trip next year as well. Want to include the V8 Supercar race in Austin so still trying to work a plan out. Anyone hear when dates will be announced?

Latest info here ... http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsar...6/default.aspx
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #71
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Orlando Miami, eh? That's a new one.

The Kennedy Space Center is actually in Titusville (less than an hour drive from Orlando). It's definitely worth seeing. In the big visitor center they have a Saturn V Apollo rocket laying on its side. Sadly you don't get to see a space shuttle on the pad anymore.

I used to love being able to complain about the shuttle waking me up when it landed. It signaled its arrival by two sonic booms (one for the fuselage and one for the tail), and for some reason would often land in the wee hours of the morning.

If you're paying $3.65/gal for regular gas you're getting ripped off. That's what I'm paying for premium (and I think it's insanely expensive!).

An oddball local tourist attraction to see in the Orlando area is Gatorland. It's actually central Florida's oldest tourist attraction. It's cheesy, but that's half the fun: http://www.gatorland.com
it really is way better than any theme park in my opinion. The oranges that grow on the trees down the main entrance were excellent when I was there.
missed a night launch by one day unfortunately
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #72
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088
Also - you can turn right on a red light so long as no one coming. For my few first turn I was wondering why everyone was tooting me... then the penny dropped.

Also a tip for driving on other side of road (I did 10,000kms without a hitch once learning these aids):

If 'mini' panic confusion - just follow path of car if front - they are a local.

Just think opposite of instinct

Never become arrogant and say I have mastered this

Everyday befor starting say to yourself I have done well so far but need to concentrate because of a lapse in concentration may bring all my good work undone

Remote areas where you are alone can be an issue...esp turing after a stop sign etc as you may go to left by routine

I have read for some that tying a bow to 12oclock on steering wheel / or (say) a smurf on dashboard top is a subtle constant visual reminder and the brain learns why it is there.....
Your post made me smile and I think it's a great idea to put a little reminder on the dash. The next time I see a bow at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel I'll know why (not that I've ever seen that...........yet).

Yes as long as it's safe to turn from the right lane even if the lane on the left of you goes straight, you can turn. But read the road sign just before that corner because it'll tell you if you need to stop first. I'm sure this is universal but if you're caught "rolling through the stop" you can get a traffic ticket. I almost got one once.

And I don't care where in the world you are, but do NOT leave valuables where they're visible. I.e., like leave your wallet, money, camera, suitcases or shopping bags, etc on the seat or back seat of your car. Place it in the trunk of your car or have the hotel hold onto it if you can't check in till later, or need to do more shopping till your flight leaves. Rentals have a sticker on it and it's pretty easy to see which cars are rentals. It's always better to be safe and not a statistic.

add: driving maps and GPS are dead giveaways too.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #73
z80
Banned

GPS is absolutely essential....

trying to navigate the freeway exits etc without one is a daunting task...

even for the locals!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #74
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and depending on the state you're in, only X number of cars can go onto the ramp leading to the freeway/highway at the same time. Then there's a wait period before the next X number of cars are allowed onto the freeway/highway. There's a light to the side that guides and counts the cars.

It's to alleviate traffic and it works!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #75
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Oh and depending on the state you're in, only X number of cars can go onto the ramp leading to the freeway/highway at the same time. Then there's a wait period before the next X number of cars are allowed onto the freeway/highway. There's a light to the side that guides and counts the cars.

It's to alleviate traffic and it works!
What state has that? I've never even heard of it before.

And can you legally turn left on red in Australia?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #76
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

in vic, we have some freeway on ramps that only allow one car at a time. really it is one car per 2 seconds or so. i think it is only around peak hour time and you still have time to accelerate to the speed limit

no you can never go through or turn on a red light. there are some intersections that have a left turning lane. in effect it seems like you are going through the red, but the lane has already peeled off the road where the traffic lights are. you will see them easily enough once you are here

i have just realised that this thread is about america. i saw moby's post and considering he was thinking of an australian trip, my answer is based on his australian trip
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #77
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

That's OK—I forget that you guys have states!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #78
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
That's OK—I forget that you guys have states!
ours aren't united though - we are not racist, we are just statist
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #79
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Ours are less united than they once were, for ridiculous reasons.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #80
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our states are for ever fighting! LOL! Mexicans,Cockroaches,Crow Eaters, Banana Benders(also known as Cain Toads).........
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #81
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

California. And it does work.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #82
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Most states in the states have the red light rule, though sometimes there is a sign NOT ALLOWING it at certain places.

Freeway on ramp traffic lights are in Australia now too, just watch some bozo doesnt rear end you.

One thing you will notice is NOT over ther is roundabouts or traffic circles as the call them, very few.

Another strange law is on freeways if you see emergency services/ roadworkers on the side you must change lanes to be one lane away from them or halve your speed. So if the slow truck in front of you swerves into your fast lane that will be why. It is called the "move over law". I got pulled over for it literally a few miles away from the airport by a motorbike cop, he let me off with a lecture after hearing my accent and checking my paperwork that I had just got the car 10 minutes ago etc.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #83
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I love the turn on red rule... I got confused why last time I was in Florida, that there was 2 lanes that went straight ahead and 2 right turning lanes, all lanes had red lights, but the right turn lanes had arrows, which to me have more precedence over just a light. But yet you can turn right on a red. Just don't know why they persist with the arrow??
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #84
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The green arrow just gives you the right of way. You had the right of way to make the right turn on a green arrow probably at the same the oncoming traffic had the right of way to make a rightie too. Or, the traffic flowing perpendicular to yours was making a left. I know, it's confusing.

Other times though, there are 2 lanes that can turn right on the green arrow and other lanes go straight. And when it's a red arrow, the lane farthest to the right can still make a turn (on a red arrow) it it's clear and safe to do so. But not the left lane if there's 2 lanes turning right. Does this even make sense as I write this?
Old 13-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #85
z80
Banned

I love the fact that trucks must keep right in the slow lane with reduced speed limits.

It is so much less stressful knowing that a truck won't cut in front of you like they do on freeways here in Victoria.
Old 18-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #86
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true, that's a good law. Just wish more truck drivers followed that law and stayed in the right lane. There's always drivers who just drive faster because they're impatient and drive like they're in a rush to get somewhere 2 seconds earlier.

Oh and the slow lane to the right is not only for truckers but for drivers too.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #87
catomo1
Thommo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Yeah thanks read that but still no confirmed dates. Oh well will have to wait until April before planning in earnest.
catomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #88
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
no you can never go through or turn on a red light.
I don't know about Vic but here there are a couple of lights that have the sign "left turn on red permitted after stopping"
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #89
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
Oh and the slow lane to the right is not only for truckers but for drivers too.
They are a good place when you're first getting used to driving over there. Sit in the lane for a while and observe what's happening around you. It'll help you realise how you have to drive over there. (Europe too!)